SD Card Reader recommendations

Mikie

Jan 31, 2009, 8:29:46 AM1/31/09
Hello!

I bought an ,'el cheapo' plastic SD Card Reader and I'm afraid it's
going to fall apart into a dozen little plastic pieces.

Need a recommended reader hopefully made of metal with simple means of
inserting the card and inserting the reader into USB port.

Mfr, or vendor or serial numbe ror even a model number would make me
happy! I saw a metalone for 16.95 and I may go that route if I can't
find a better and cheaper.

Thanks!
Mikie

tony cooper

Jan 31, 2009, 10:27:36 AM1/31/09

I have a card reader that has lasted over a year with no damage
despite no special care taken. I won't recommend the brand, though,
since it's a $6 cheap plastic one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Nervous Nick

Jan 31, 2009, 10:58:48 AM1/31/09

Maybe you'll get lucky and find one as a prize at the bottom of your
next box of Life cereal, Mikie.

--
YOP...

Allen

Jan 31, 2009, 11:16:13 AM1/31/09
I have a famous "Made in China" brand metal reader that I paid about $5
for at Fry's one month short of five years ago. Still works fine. I have
used it only for CF and SD (no SDHC) so I can't say how it would handle
other cards.
Allen

ray

Jan 31, 2009, 11:33:12 AM1/31/09

I've been happy with a multi-card unit I got from Crucial - also with a
$10 reader from WalMart.

Focus

Jan 31, 2009, 1:56:37 PM1/31/09

"Mikie" <mp...@msn.com> wrote in message

Try this one if you can find it. I got it for a few bucks and though it's
plastic, it's very fast and nice and small! Most of the "Hispeed" readers
are not high speed at all.
http://www.apmfrance.com/articles/view.php?id=6936

--
Focus

Allen

Jan 31, 2009, 2:37:09 PM1/31/09
I looked again and saw that it the slightly less famous "Made in Taiwan"
brand. Everything else in my post is accurate.
Allen

SneakyP

Feb 1, 2009, 1:29:29 AM2/1/09
Mikie <mp...@msn.com> wrote in news:fd7a5b24-6a61-4f65-8ff0-
8cf671...@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Life cerial and pop rocks are your friend.
Now find a reader that isn't obsolete within a couple of years time.

--
SneakyP
To reply: newsgroup only, what's posted in ng stays in ng.

Some choose to swim in the potty bowl of nan-ae rather than flush it
down :0)

HerHusband

Feb 1, 2009, 1:19:45 PM2/1/09
> I bought an ,'el cheapo' plastic SD Card Reader and I'm afraid it's
> going to fall apart into a dozen little plastic pieces.
> Need a recommended reader hopefully made of metal with simple means of
> inserting the card and inserting the reader into USB port.

If you can use an internal card reader, I've been very happy with my Atech
XM-5U card reader, it supports a variety of flash card formats, including
XD and the newer SDHC cards used in camcorders and music players.

Anthony

George Kerby

Feb 1, 2009, 4:23:06 PM2/1/09

On 1/31/09 1:37 PM, in article
svSdnQ5b6uf4NRnU...@giganews.com, "Allen"
<all...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

I needed a new reader to handle the SDHCs. But for 5 bucks, who cares?