Changing File Date

Boris

Jun 6, 2009, 10:06:46 PM6/6/09

I've got a Kodak Z612, and the date was not set correctly. Is there any
way to change the date on the files now that they are on my pc (Windows
XPHome)?

Thanks.

Boris

Jun 6, 2009, 10:11:00 PM6/6/09
Boris <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in

Hmmm...anyone use this:

http://www.petges.lu/

ray

Jun 6, 2009, 10:14:15 PM6/6/09

Sure. All you have to do is edit the EXIF meta data. Search for EXIF
editor.

Boris

Jun 6, 2009, 11:27:16 PM6/6/09
ray <r...@zianet.com> wrote in news:790m3nF...@mid.individual.net:

And that will also edit the date that Windows Explorer shows, too? That's
exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

Ofnuts

Jun 7, 2009, 8:34:49 AM6/7/09

No, these are two different things: the exif date is stored inside the
file metadata, and won't change even if you edit the picture (crop,
sharpen...), because it is really the time the picture was shot. The
wondows explorer show the file modification date, which is the last time
the file contents changed (so this changes if you crop the picture, for
instance).

There are image management programs around which can sync the two
(XnView? IrfanView?), but you have to change one of the two first.

--
Bertrand

Steven Green

Jun 7, 2009, 9:25:50 AM6/7/09

If you are trying to change the file date displayed in XP there are a
lot of utilities that will do it. I have not actually done it since the
DOS days but here was a quick one returned from google.

http://www.segobit.com/fpc.htm

I don't vouch for this software or even know what it may cost. Google
around and you may find one free if this one is not.

Back in the day norton utilities would do this too if my memory isn't
tricking me.

Ofnuts

Jun 7, 2009, 9:50:59 AM6/7/09

Personally I would use the "touch" command from some Unix shell package
look-alike, but since this is a family forum I refrained from suggesting it.

--
Bertrand

Message has been deleted

J�rgen Exner

Jun 8, 2009, 2:43:04 AM6/8/09
Boris <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>ray <r...@zianet.com> wrote in news:790m3nF...@mid.individual.net:
>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 02:06:46 +0000, Boris wrote:
>>> I've got a Kodak Z612, and the date was not set correctly. Is there any
>>> way to change the date on the files now that they are on my pc (Windows
>>> XPHome)?

>> Sure. All you have to do is edit the EXIF meta data. Search for EXIF

>> editor.
>>

>And that will also edit the date that Windows Explorer shows, too? That's
>exactly what I'm trying to do.

Maybe you could be more specific about _WHICH_ date you are talking?
There are file created, file modified, file accessed coming from the
file system and picture taken coming from the EXIF.
Any of those can be shown by Windows Explorer.

jue

J�rgen Exner

Jun 8, 2009, 2:52:28 AM6/8/09
Steven Green <stevenDO...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Ofnuts wrote:
>>> And that will also edit the date that Windows Explorer shows, too?
>>> That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks.
>>
>> No, these are two different things: the exif date is stored inside the
>> file metadata, and won't change even if you edit the picture (crop,
>> sharpen...), because it is really the time the picture was shot. The
>> wondows explorer show the file modification date, which is the last time
>> the file contents changed (so this changes if you crop the picture, for
>> instance).

No. Windows Explorer will show whatever file property you elect to have
displayed to you. That does include last modified, but it can be any
other file date just as well.
And with the proper add-on you can also choose to display any EXIF data,
including the picture taken date.

Therefore the OP really has to explain which date he is talking about.
"Shows in Windows Explorer" does not reduce the number of possible
candidates at all.

jue

Ofnuts

Jun 8, 2009, 10:50:58 AM6/8/09

My turn to get pedantic :-) it the OP knew about these timestamps he
would have used these terms... so may I suggest you explain him what
they are so he can make an informed choice?

--
Bertrand

J�rgen Exner

Jun 8, 2009, 3:16:18 PM6/8/09
Ofnuts <o.f.n...@la.poste.net> wrote:
>J�rgen Exner wrote:
>> Boris <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> ray <r...@zianet.com> wrote in news:790m3nF...@mid.individual.net:
>>> And that will also edit the date that Windows Explorer shows, too? That's
>>> exactly what I'm trying to do.
>>
>> Maybe you could be more specific about _WHICH_ date you are talking?
>> There are file created, file modified, file accessed coming from the
>> file system and picture taken coming from the EXIF.
>> Any of those can be shown by Windows Explorer.
>
>My turn to get pedantic :-) it the OP knew about these timestamps he
>would have used these terms... so may I suggest you explain him what
>they are so he can make an informed choice?

Well, I think the names are rather self-explanatory.
- date the file was originally created
- date the content of the file was last modified (although not all
applications set this date correctly)
- date the content of the file was last accessed
- data item "Date Picture Taken" as stored in the EXIF header of a JPEG
His camera should have set all 4 values when the original file was
created on the memory card.

Which of those dates he is viewing in Windows Explorer (WE) is still
everyone's guess. WE never says plain "Date" but it is always specific
about "Modified"/"Created"/... regardless if you are looking at the file
details in the side bar or at the file properties in the popup dialog or
the column headers in the "Details" view mode.

jue

Ofnuts

Jun 8, 2009, 4:04:36 PM6/8/09
J�rgen Exner wrote:

> Well, I think the names are rather self-explanatory.
> - date the file was originally created

Definitely not... the file was "originally created" on the camera
storage, so this time would be the creation or modification date (which
are identical or very close) of the file on the flash card. But the
Windows "creation date" is the date the file was put on the device where
it resides. Typically, for a picture on your disk this is later than the
modification date (since this is the time the file was transferred from
the camera or card, while the modification date is the time the picture
was taken). In other words the "creation" date is associated to the
container (and so is the "last access" date) while the "modification"
one is usually associated with the contents.

> - date the content of the file was last modified (although not all
> applications set this date correctly)

This normally done by the file system, not by applications...

> - date the content of the file was last accessed
> - data item "Date Picture Taken" as stored in the EXIF header of a JPEG
> His camera should have set all 4 values when the original file was
> created on the memory card.
>
> Which of those dates he is viewing in Windows Explorer (WE) is still
> everyone's guess. WE never says plain "Date" but it is always specific
> about "Modified"/"Created"/... regardless if you are looking at the file
> details in the side bar or at the file properties in the popup dialog or
> the column headers in the "Details" view mode.

Except that be default the Windows explorer shows the "last modified"
and that few people know that can have it display something else.

--
Bertrand