Surprised at Adorama!

1 view

Sharp Dressed Man

Jan 28, 2009, 2:48:39 PM1/28/09
Went on their website to check an item I decided to buy and saw that their
price was the same as another usually reliable online vendor I often buy
from-- but Adorama was offering free shipping. So I put one in my cart and
start to check out-- only to see shipping charges listed. I retried the
order from the beginning and got the same result so I called them and
explained the problem.

I gave the guy the SKU number and he tells me-- no, that item doesn't have
free shipping. No I said, I'm looking right at it and your web page says
it's free. Well he says in his best New York way, maybe you're reading it
wrong or maybe they just took free shipping off that item. No problem I
say-- as long as you take the $6.95 shipping off my order.

Then he says $6.95 wasn't all that much money and he wouldn't remove it and
I said OK, if that's the way you do business now, goodbye. I hung up and did
not complete the order.

Is that just an uncooperative CSR-- or a new business model based on bait
and switch? I've made many purchases from them and other than the occasional
required "confirmation call" so they can try to sell me unwanted add-ons,
I've never had any problems.

Troy Piggins

Jan 28, 2009, 4:49:37 PM1/28/09
* Sharp Dressed Man wrote :

I've bought from them many times. Can't comment on the free
shipping deal because I'm overseas and it never applies to me,
but their service and delivery times have always been spot on in
my experience.

--
Troy Piggins

Helen Oster

Jan 28, 2009, 5:42:56 PM1/28/09

I was extremely concerned to read your posting, and at this point can
only apologize that you have been so inconvenienced.

Could you please contact me directly, with the details of the item you
wanted to order, the date and time of your call, plus the number you
called from. I'd like to listen to the tapes of the call and find out
who spoke to you in this way - and why!

Adorama absolutely forbids any kind of bait and switch approach to
selling; the chances are it was a website error - nevertheless, the
sales associate should certainly not have addressed you in the way you
describe, and I would have expected an error of this kind to be
honored.

I do look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
helen...@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com

Twibil

Jan 28, 2009, 5:51:22 PM1/28/09
> helen.os...@adoramacamera.comwww.adorama.com

Way to go, Helen!

Please let us know how this comes out.

~Pete

tony cooper

Jan 28, 2009, 5:58:35 PM1/28/09

My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
$6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
listed price was higher.

Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
phone I was quoted $509.90.

All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.

Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

Jan 28, 2009, 6:05:44 PM1/28/09

I posted my comment about Adorama before reading this. I dealt with
Michael at extension 2276 yesterday in getting a price for my son to
buy a D40. Michael was very professional, very helpful.

You can send me a Nikkor 70-300 VR for my camera for the plug. Make
sure it's the VR.

Troy Piggins

Jan 28, 2009, 6:29:26 PM1/28/09
* tony cooper wrote :

>* Helen Oster wrote:
>>* Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
<snip />

>> I was extremely concerned to read your posting, and at this point can
>> only apologize that you have been so inconvenienced.
>>
>> Could you please contact me directly, with the details of the item you
>> wanted to order, the date and time of your call, plus the number you
>> called from. I'd like to listen to the tapes of the call and find out
>> who spoke to you in this way - and why!
>>
>> Adorama absolutely forbids any kind of bait and switch approach to
>> selling; the chances are it was a website error - nevertheless, the
>> sales associate should certainly not have addressed you in the way you
>> describe, and I would have expected an error of this kind to be
>> honored.
>>
>> I do look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> Helen Oster
>> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
>> helen...@adoramacamera.com
>> www.adorama.com
>
> I posted my comment about Adorama before reading this. I dealt with
> Michael at extension 2276 yesterday in getting a price for my son to
> buy a D40. Michael was very professional, very helpful.
>
> You can send me a Nikkor 70-300 VR for my camera for the plug. Make
> sure it's the VR.

Hey! I posted nice compliments first! What do *I* get? :)

--
Troy Piggins

tony cooper

Jan 28, 2009, 7:00:14 PM1/28/09

While it's a myth that he actually said it, Gen Nathan Bedford
Forrest, a Confederate cavalry officer known for his quick strikes and
successful forays, is quoted as saying "Git thar fustest with the
mostest". I asked fust, so I should get the mostest.

ASAAR

Jan 28, 2009, 7:29:46 PM1/28/09
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:00:14 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Hey! I posted nice compliments first! What do *I* get? :)
>
> While it's a myth that he actually said it, Gen Nathan Bedford
> Forrest, a Confederate cavalry officer known for his quick strikes and
> successful forays, is quoted as saying "Git thar fustest with the
> mostest". I asked fust, so I should get the mostest.

Wrong interpretation. If you follow Gen. Nathan Bedford's advice
you should ask fust and have the mostest questions. That won't
guarantee success but it'll git'cha a good chance t'win the mostest.

tony cooper

Jan 28, 2009, 8:42:08 PM1/28/09

If you ask too many questions, you may be saying what that great
military genius of the Okefenokee swamp once said: "We have met the
enemy and they is us".

Message has been deleted

tony cooper

Jan 29, 2009, 12:34:42 AM1/29/09
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:57:57 -0800, Savageduck <savag...@savage.net>
wrote:

>A Pogoist!!
>
>...and in this NG we can also find the reincarnation of Simple J
>Malarkey in our MOPAR pal.

I can modestly (albeit, with false modesty) say that I have met
several celebrities in my life. I once rode down six floors on an
elevator in the Mayflower hotel in NYC with Al Capp.

I also was given a personal tour of the Mad Magazine offices in NYC by
Bill Gaines. It was arranged by an employee of mine who had gone to
school with (cartoonist) Jack Davis at Georgia. I briefly met
(cartoonist) Don Martin who autographed a book for me. When on a trip
to San Francisco, in a restaurant I sat three tables over from Robert
Crumb. We did not speak, but I know he wanted to.

I also shook hands with a former (losing) Vice Presidential candidate
in O'Hare Airport. I forget his name and wasn't even sure of it at
the time.

My wife, when on Psych affiliation at Cook County Hospital, met
Liberace in a bar in Chicago. That was before I knew her. My
celebrity meetings top hers and I often remind her of this.

ASAAR

Jan 29, 2009, 1:01:48 AM1/29/09
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:42:08 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Wrong interpretation. If you follow Gen. Nathan Bedford's advice
>> you should ask fust and have the mostest questions. That won't
>> guarantee success but it'll git'cha a good chance t'win the mostest.
>
> If you ask too many questions, you may be saying what that great
> military genius of the Okefenokee swamp once said: "We have met the
> enemy and they is us".

I go Pogo too.

http://www.whiterose.org/dr.elmo/blog/archives/000641.html

ASAAR

Jan 29, 2009, 1:03:00 AM1/29/09
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:42:08 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>> Wrong interpretation. If you follow Gen. Nathan Bedford's advice
>> you should ask fust and have the mostest questions. That won't
>> guarantee success but it'll git'cha a good chance t'win the mostest.
>
> If you ask too many questions, you may be saying what that great
> military genius of the Okefenokee swamp once said: "We have met the
> enemy and they is us".

I go Pogo too.

http://www.whiterose.org/dr.elmo/blog/archives/000641.html

ASAAR

Jan 29, 2009, 1:11:35 AM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:34:42 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> I also shook hands with a former (losing) Vice Presidential candidate
> in O'Hare Airport. I forget his name and wasn't even sure of it at
> the time.

William E. Miller, Barry Goldwater's 1964 running mate and father
of Stephanie Miller, liberal talk show host?

tony cooper

Jan 29, 2009, 1:50:15 AM1/29/09

White guy, medium height, wore a suit. That's all I remember.

ASAAR

Jan 29, 2009, 2:11:28 AM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 01:50:15 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>>> I also shook hands with a former (losing) Vice Presidential candidate
>>> in O'Hare Airport. I forget his name and wasn't even sure of it at
>>> the time.
>>
>> William E. Miller, Barry Goldwater's 1964 running mate and father
>>of Stephanie Miller, liberal talk show host?
>
> White guy, medium height, wore a suit. That's all I remember.

The only other easily forgotten candidate that comes to mind might
be ex Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale, Ross Perot's 1992 running
mate, who like Sarah Palin didn't do much preparation and :

> He had no formal preparation for the debate, unlike his opponents
> Al Gore and Dan Quayle. Stockdale infamously opened the debate
> by saying, "Who am I? Why am I here?" Initially, the rhetorical
> questions drew applause from the audience, [4] seeming to be a
> good-natured acknowledgment of his relatively unknown status and
> lack of traditional qualifications. However, his unfocused style for
> the rest of the debate (including asking the moderator to repeat one
> question because he didn't have his hearing aid turned on) made him
> appear confused and almost disoriented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stockdale

Paul Furman

Jan 29, 2009, 2:31:11 AM1/29/09
tony cooper wrote:
> When on a trip to San Francisco, in a restaurant I sat three tables over from Robert Crumb. We did not speak, but I know he wanted to.

LOL

Message has been deleted

Neil Ellwood

Jan 29, 2009, 5:00:37 AM1/29/09

That is a very old business model - in the UK we call it FRAUD.

--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l

measekite

Jan 29, 2009, 6:01:06 AM1/29/09

Is he related to Bread Crumb?

Helen Oster

Jan 29, 2009, 6:20:31 AM1/29/09
> Troy Piggins- Hide quoted text -

Dear Troy

Thank you so much for your kind words about Adorama, which are very
much appreciated - but please don't hesitate to contact me directly if
I can ever assist you with an order from Adorama Camera or AdoramaPix
in the future.

Helen Oster

Jan 29, 2009, 6:24:15 AM1/29/09
> >helen.os...@adoramacamera.com

> >www.adorama.com
>
> I posted my comment about Adorama before reading this.  I dealt with
> Michael at extension 2276 yesterday in getting a price for my son to
> buy a D40.  Michael was very professional, very helpful.
>
> You can send me a Nikkor 70-300 VR for my camera for the plug.  Make
> sure it's the VR.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, Tony. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to MIchael's
manager, who I know will be delighted.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen...@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com

PS If it was down to me, I'd send you two - I'd send Troy 2, as well -
I expect that's why I'm not allowed near the sales department!!

tony cooper

Jan 29, 2009, 7:40:11 AM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:41:53 -0800, Savageduck <savag...@savage.net>
wrote:

>...and where was Walt Kelly in all of this?

Al Capp and Walt Kelly both spent part of their youth in Bridgeport CT
and were cartooning contemporaries and personal friends. I'm sure
Capp mentioned to Kelly that he rode in the same elevator with me in
the Mayflower.

GMAN

Jan 29, 2009, 9:19:12 AM1/29/09
In article <40747aed-d18a-4ff7...@p36g2000prp.googlegroups.com>, Helen Oster <oster...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 28, 9:48=A0pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" <s...@zz.net> wrote:
>> Went on their website to check an item I decided to buy and saw that thei=

>> price was the same as another usually reliable online vendor I often buy
>> from-- but Adorama was offering free shipping. So I put one in my cart an=

>> start to check out-- only to see shipping charges listed. I retried the
>> order from the beginning and got the same result so I called them and
>> explained the problem.
>>
>> I gave the guy the SKU number and he tells me-- no, that item doesn't hav=

>> free shipping. No I said, I'm looking right at it and your web page says
>> it's free. Well he says in his best New York way, maybe you're reading it
>> wrong or maybe they just took free shipping off that item. No problem I
>> say-- as long as you take the $6.95 shipping off my order.
>>
>> Then he says $6.95 wasn't all that much money and he wouldn't remove it a=
>nd
>> I said OK, if that's the way you do business now, goodbye. I hung up and =

>did
>> not complete the order.
>>
>> Is that just an uncooperative CSR-- or a new business model based on bait
>> and switch? I've made many purchases from them and other than the occasio=

>nal
>> required "confirmation call" so they can try to sell me unwanted add-ons,
>> I've never had any problems.
>
>I was extremely concerned to read your posting, and at this point can
>only apologize that you have been so inconvenienced.
>
>Could you please contact me directly, with the details of the item you
>wanted to order, the date and time of your call, plus the number you
>called from. I'd like to listen to the tapes of the call and find out
>who spoke to you in this way - and why!
>
>Adorama absolutely forbids any kind of bait and switch approach to
>selling; the chances are it was a website error - nevertheless, the
>sales associate should certainly not have addressed you in the way you
>describe, and I would have expected an error of this kind to be
>honored.
>
>I do look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Sincerely
>
>Helen Oster
>Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
>helen...@adoramacamera.com
>www.adorama.com

I wish there were more companies and people like you who took the time to care
like you are!!!!

David Ruether

Jan 29, 2009, 9:22:00 AM1/29/09

"ASAAR" <cau...@22.com> wrote in message news:ruh2o4ditrsg85sts...@4ax.com...

My mother reminded us often during that contest that she had
gone to school with W. E. M. Otherwise, who??? 8^)
--DR

aquadiver

Jan 29, 2009, 10:30:13 AM1/29/09
On Jan 29, 9:19 am, glenz...@xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:
> >helen.os...@adoramacamera.com

> >www.adorama.com
>
> I wish there were more companies and people like you who took the time to care
> like you are!!!!

Helen's postings in this thread are just what I've come to expect from
Adorama, as well as from B&H, to be fair. I generally just order from
their Web sites, but when I've had to use the phone, I've found them
completely professional, not a bit pushy. My only complaint about
Adorama is that they don't tell you on the Web site whether an item is
in stock. Just this morning, I was about to buy an underwater housing
from B&H but saw that the housing I needed was not in stock. I checked
Adorama, which gave no information about whether it was in stock. So I
called. After a short wait, the sales associate came on and told me he
had exactly one unit in stock, and would I like to buy it on the
phone. So I did, along with several other needed items. He took the
order, read it back, told me the order would probably be shipped
today, and that was that.

I think the OP got hold of one bad apple, very unusual for Adorama.

gc

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jan 29, 2009, 1:52:07 PM1/29/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember Helen Oster <oster...@gmail.com>
saying something like:

>Adorama absolutely forbids any kind of bait and switch approach to
>selling; the chances are it was a website error - nevertheless, the
>sales associate should certainly not have addressed you in the way you
>describe, and I would have expected an error of this kind to be
>honored.

Don't be too hard on the CSR - perhaps he was fed up to the back teeth
of chisellers wanting free shipping and trying it on.

Caesar Romano

Jan 29, 2009, 3:02:53 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:52:07 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote Re Re: Surprised at Adorama!:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold.

"..edge of the desert.." ??

It looks to me like the drugs had long ago taken hold. There is
nothing but desert within 200 miles of the Barstow hell-hole.

Paul Furman

Jan 29, 2009, 3:02:10 PM1/29/09

The only name I recognized, he's a comic artist, pretty freaky stuff,
there's a movie or two about him also.

Troy Piggins

Jan 29, 2009, 3:40:55 PM1/29/09
* Helen Oster wrote :

> On Jan 29, 1:05 am, tony cooper <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:42:56 -0800 (PST), Helen Oster
>> <osterhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >On Jan 28, 9:48 pm, "Sharp Dressed Man" <s...@zz.net> wrote:
<snip />

>> I posted my comment about Adorama before reading this.  I dealt with
>> Michael at extension 2276 yesterday in getting a price for my son to
>> buy a D40.  Michael was very professional, very helpful.
>>
>> You can send me a Nikkor 70-300 VR for my camera for the plug.  Make
>> sure it's the VR.
>
> Thank you, Tony. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to MIchael's
> manager, who I know will be delighted.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Helen Oster
> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
>
> helen...@adoramacamera.com
> www.adorama.com
>
> PS If it was down to me, I'd send you two - I'd send Troy 2, as well -
> I expect that's why I'm not allowed near the sales department!!

No no no. I use Canon gear, so 2 Nikkor lenses won't do me any
good. I'll be needing the 600mm f/4L IS. Gray market is fine.
:)

--
Troy Piggins

tony cooper

Jan 29, 2009, 5:19:55 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:02:10 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

Al Capp drew "Lil Abner" and all the other characters in Dogpatch.
Bill Gaines owned Mad Magazine; America's Viz. Jack Davis and Don
Martin were contributing authors/artists. If you have to have Lil
Abner and Mad explained to you, you are beyond hope or very young.

Robert Crumb, the only one of the group still alive*, was also an
artist/cartoonist, but less mainstream than the above. A bit
different, Crumb killed off one of his main characters - Fritz the Cat
- with an icepick to the head because he didn't want the character
drawn anymore after Fritz was the subject of a movie.

*With the possible exception of the political candidate. I wouldn't
recognize his name in the obits.

Twibil

Jan 29, 2009, 5:25:08 PM1/29/09
On Jan 29, 12:02 pm, Caesar Romano <S...@uce.gov> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:52:07 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
> <grimly4REM...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote Re Re: Surprised at Adorama!:

> >We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> >drugs began to take hold.
>
> "..edge of the desert.." ??
>
> It looks to me like the drugs had long ago taken hold. There is
> nothing but desert within 200 miles of the Barstow hell-hole.

Er, *you* must have been on the drugs: drawing a 200 mile radius
circle around Barstool (local pronunciation) reveals that most of
southern California falls inside that circle, including such renowned
deserts as San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, and the entire
southern half of the High Sierras; a 14,500' well-watered -and
noatably visible- mountain range...

~Pete

Mark Thomas

Jan 29, 2009, 5:59:21 PM1/29/09
Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
> Went on their website to check an item....

What I find interesting is that despite Adoramas courteous response, the
OP, "Sharp Dressed Man" has not returned.

George Kerby

Jan 29, 2009, 8:16:23 PM1/29/09

On 1/29/09 4:19 PM, in article 2o94o41di0tg8d31i...@4ax.com,
"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:02:10 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> Is he related to Bread Crumb?
>>
>> The only name I recognized, he's a comic artist, pretty freaky stuff,
>> there's a movie or two about him also.
>
> Al Capp drew "Lil Abner" and all the other characters in Dogpatch.
> Bill Gaines owned Mad Magazine; America's Viz. Jack Davis and Don
> Martin were contributing authors/artists. If you have to have Lil
> Abner and Mad explained to you, you are beyond hope or very young.
>
> Robert Crumb, the only one of the group still alive*, was also an
> artist/cartoonist, but less mainstream than the above. A bit
> different, Crumb killed off one of his main characters - Fritz the Cat
> - with an icepick to the head because he didn't want the character
> drawn anymore after Fritz was the subject of a movie.

I thought R. Crumb was the guy behind "Fat Freddy's Cat" - where the cat was
always pissing in Fat Freddy's shoe...

Message has been deleted

Paul Furman

Jan 29, 2009, 11:11:53 PM1/29/09

Helen Oster

Jan 30, 2009, 6:48:44 AM1/30/09
> Adorama, ...............My only complaint about

> Adorama is that they don't tell you on the Web site whether an item is
> in stock. .............> I think the OP got hold of one bad apple, very unusual for Adorama.
>
> gc- Hide quoted text -

A valid point; firstly I would like to apologize that we caused you
inconvenience, and then attempt to clarify how the stock situation
works.

With high demand items, frequent delivery and dispatch times mean that
items can come in one door, be packaged, and out of another within a
couple of hours, so real time inventory is often not possible.

This means that you could see an in-stock indication on the site if a
shipment was expected into the warehouse within the next 24 hours -
but receive an automated message in response to your order, indicating
that it is out of stock.
We are currently working on our systems to be able to handle this more
efficiently.

The reverse can apply, ie, an item may show on our site as out of
stock, because the shipment we are expecting has already been
allocated by way of pre-orders. If a customer who has pre-ordered
cancels his order, the item is physically in the warehouse but hasn't
yet entered the part of the inventory that relates to the website.

Finally, even with the website inventory, it is entirely possible that
we could receive several dozen orders for a popular item such as this
at the same time - by telephone or via our website; if we have 29 in
stock but receive 30 orders, it isn't always going to be immediately
obvious that one customer is going to be disappointed.

Hope this makes sense!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen...@adoramacamera.com
www.adoramacamera.com

aquadiver

Jan 30, 2009, 7:28:42 AM1/30/09
> helen.os...@adoramacamera.comwww.adoramacamera.com

Thanks Helen. Yes, that makes perfect sense. I think I was lucky to
call when I did yesterday to get the one item in inventory (which will
be delivered this afternoon, thank you very much). In any case, close
calls, like your example of getting 30 orders all at once with 29
items in stock, will happen, and the important thing then is the
attitude and approach of your customer service folks.

And, BTW, the salesman I talked with yesterday, who did a great job,
was Mike F, according to the invoice.

Cheers, and have a great weekend.

gc

Caesar Romano

Jan 30, 2009, 9:37:26 AM1/30/09
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 03:48:44 -0800 (PST), Helen Oster
<oster...@gmail.com> wrote Re Re: Surprised at Adorama!:

>With high demand items, frequent delivery and dispatch times mean that
>items can come in one door, be packaged, and out of another within a
>couple of hours, so real time inventory is often not possible.

It is often not possible with your current system, but the information
is available on one of your computers as the people on the phone can
verify stock from one of their computers. Is that correct or am I
misunderstanding the situation?

If that is correct, then it's possible to get the information to your
web site in a timely manner with the proper software. Other companies
do it.

Granted, Adorama's particular mix of present software may make it
unacceptably difficult or costly, but that is a problem to work on as
is being done. Eventually it will be improved and your customers will
be happier for it.

I appreciate your participation in this NG. It's a good sign and a
credit to Adorama.

>We are currently working on our systems to be able to handle this more
>efficiently.

That is important.

It is also my understanding that Adorama does not charge a customer's
credit card until the order has shipped. Is that correct?

Keep up the good work.

Message has been deleted

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 4:38:39 PM1/30/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
> $6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
> says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
> would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
> listed price was higher.
>
> Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
> phone I was quoted $509.90.
>
> All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
> is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.

Tony, was that by any chance a D60?

I just bought one of those myself at about $510, with free shipping. This
was from Amazon, which wouldn't give the price in their ad (the "put it in
your cart to see the price" business). So I assume from that that Nikon's
dropped the price -- maybe closing 'em out? -- but doesn't want the lower
price advertised.

> Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
> don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.

Yes indeed. A good place to do business. And they offer free shipping on a
lot of smaller items, cases etc., that makes them even more attractive.

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 4:52:55 PM1/30/09

"Neil Ellwood" <cral.el...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Adorama does not defraud its customers. There are a number of small stores
that do (usually advertising under a variety of names; see the Don Wiss
archives), but Adorama is 100% reputable.

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 5:10:36 PM1/30/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

> Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting <g>

Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I remember
he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
at than the turds.

Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
interest in Crumb's work.

tony cooper

Jan 30, 2009, 5:43:55 PM1/30/09
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:38:39 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
<sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>> My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
>> $6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
>> says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
>> would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
>> listed price was higher.
>>
>> Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
>> phone I was quoted $509.90.
>>
>> All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
>> is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.
>
>Tony, was that by any chance a D60?

Nope. D40 with 18/55 and 55/200. INKD40k2A. Still shows at $596.95.

>I just bought one of those myself at about $510, with free shipping. This
>was from Amazon, which wouldn't give the price in their ad (the "put it in
>your cart to see the price" business). So I assume from that that Nikon's
>dropped the price -- maybe closing 'em out? -- but doesn't want the lower
>price advertised.
>

>> Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
>> don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.
>
>Yes indeed. A good place to do business. And they offer free shipping on a
>lot of smaller items, cases etc., that makes them even more attractive.

First order I'd placed with Adorama. I've purchased cameras from Ritz
and Abe's of Maine, but not Adorama before.

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 6:09:47 PM1/30/09

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:38:39 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
> <sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:
>

>>"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> My son just ordered a Nikon from Adorama yesterday. Shipping was
>>> $6-something. What was a surprise was the price, though. The website
>>> says $599, but the price on the telephone was $509.90. They said it
>>> would be billed at $509.90 if ordered on the web even though the web
>>> listed price was higher.
>>>
>>> Just to check, I went to B&H's website and the price is $599. On the
>>> phone I was quoted $509.90.
>>>
>>> All I can figure out is that Nikon controls what the advertised price
>>> is, but the dealer can offer a better price. Dunno, though.
>>
>>Tony, was that by any chance a D60?
>
> Nope. D40 with 18/55 and 55/200. INKD40k2A. Still shows at $596.95.

Wow, with both lenses that was a fantastic price!

>>I just bought one of those myself at about $510, with free shipping. This
>>was from Amazon, which wouldn't give the price in their ad (the "put it in
>>your cart to see the price" business). So I assume from that that Nikon's
>>dropped the price -- maybe closing 'em out? -- but doesn't want the lower
>>price advertised.
>>

>>> Adorama asks if you want to buy filters, spare battery, etc, but they
>>> don't push. Very efficient people to deal with.
>>
>>Yes indeed. A good place to do business. And they offer free shipping on a
>>lot of smaller items, cases etc., that makes them even more attractive.
>>

> First order I'd placed with Adorama. I've purchased cameras from Ritz
> and Abe's of Maine, but not Adorama before.

Other places I've found extremely reliable are Amazon.com, BuyDig.com and
BeachCamera.com. I don't think there's any one place that *always* has the
best price, so I shop around. You certainly did well on that D40.

tony cooper

Jan 30, 2009, 6:12:32 PM1/30/09
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:10:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
<sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

>"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>

>> Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting <g>
>
>Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I remember
>he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
>with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
>at than the turds.

Crumb is recognized as an artist and illustrator. The Institute for
Contemporary Art in Philadelphia held a major exhibition of his work.
A movie was made about his life, and a movie was made featuring his
creations.

His choice of subject matter is controversial, but look at Robert
Mapplethorpe's work. The Corcoran canceled a Mapplethorpe exhibition
because of the subject matter. A book containing Mapplethorpe
photographs was deemed to be obscene in the UK.

Paul has a different idea of what is "disgusting" than what I do.

>> but this is my favorite:
>> 'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumbpart1.jpg
>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumb_partii.jpg
>>
>> and the next few hundred years:
>> http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP_RC.shorthist&Category_Code=
>
>Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
>around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
>interest in Crumb's work.

Not so much for the printed material.
http://www.undergroundcollectibles.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10288/subcatid/0/id/354258
shows you can buy a comic book by Crumb for $12.

A signed original, though, would be a different story.

tony cooper

Jan 30, 2009, 6:23:08 PM1/30/09
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:09:47 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
<sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

Actually, it was my son who bought the D40. I suggested certain
vendors (Ritz, B&H, Adorama, Abe's of Maine), that he get the VR
version of the 55/200, did some calling for him, and found the pricing
for him. He actually placed the order. I bought my D40 from Ritz a
year ago. Same combo, but I paid $599 and got a bag (that I don't
use) with it.

I bought a laptop from BuyDig and an external hard drive from New Egg.
Both Christmas gifts for my kids. Both good online sellers. I do
tend to shop around for deals, but I limit my shopping to vendors
known for their reputation.

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 6:31:53 PM1/30/09

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:10:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
> <sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:
>

>>"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting <g>
>>
>>Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I
>>remember
>>he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
>>with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
>>at than the turds.
>
> Crumb is recognized as an artist and illustrator. The Institute for
> Contemporary Art in Philadelphia held a major exhibition of his work.
> A movie was made about his life, and a movie was made featuring his
> creations.

Interesting. I'm not really surprised, as I always thought him a creative
artist.

> His choice of subject matter is controversial, but look at Robert
> Mapplethorpe's work. The Corcoran canceled a Mapplethorpe exhibition
> because of the subject matter. A book containing Mapplethorpe
> photographs was deemed to be obscene in the UK.
>
> Paul has a different idea of what is "disgusting" than what I do.
>>

>>> but this is my favorite:
>>> 'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
>>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumbpart1.jpg
>>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumb_partii.jpg
>>>
>>> and the next few hundred years:
>>> http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP_RC.shorthist&Category_Code=
>>
>>Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
>>around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
>>interest in Crumb's work.
>
> Not so much for the printed material.
> http://www.undergroundcollectibles.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10288/subcatid/0/id/354258
> shows you can buy a comic book by Crumb for $12.

That's not too bad. I've never really been into comics collecting, but a
friend of mine was a dealer in the so-called Golden Age and Silver Age stuff
(not underground types) and I know he sold a lot of comics from that period
for less than that. Of course, the Crumb comics must be relatively rare,
compared to the usual superhero types.

> A signed original, though, would be a different story.

I'm sure.

Neil Harrington

Jan 30, 2009, 6:40:13 PM1/30/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I bought mine with the kit lens only about the time it came out, so paid the
full $600. I knew the price would come down soon but wanted to use it at the
Christmas family get-together, particularly to show a nephew of mine who
didn't yet have a DSLR. By the time he bought his a few months later, it was
under $530 -- again, with just the kit lens.

> I bought a laptop from BuyDig and an external hard drive from New Egg.
> Both Christmas gifts for my kids. Both good online sellers. I do
> tend to shop around for deals, but I limit my shopping to vendors
> known for their reputation.

Yes, New Egg is great too; that's where I buy most of my computer parts.
Buy.com is also very good, though usually not so fast shipping and they only
rarely have good buys on cameras.

Paul Furman

Jan 31, 2009, 2:48:51 PM1/31/09
tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:10:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
> <sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:
>
>> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Most of Crumb's stuff is pretty disgusting <g>
>> Sort of, except for folks who are really into scatalogical stuff. I remember
>> he drew a lot of turds, and in loving detail. And he had a thing for girls
>> with enormous buttocks and feet. While rather odd, they were nicer to look
>> at than the turds.
>
> Crumb is recognized as an artist and illustrator. The Institute for
> Contemporary Art in Philadelphia held a major exhibition of his work.
> A movie was made about his life, and a movie was made featuring his
> creations.
>
> His choice of subject matter is controversial, but look at Robert
> Mapplethorpe's work. The Corcoran canceled a Mapplethorpe exhibition
> because of the subject matter. A book containing Mapplethorpe
> photographs was deemed to be obscene in the UK.
>
> Paul has a different idea of what is "disgusting" than what I do.

I like his disgusting stuff, just making clear that's how a lot of it
appears :-)

>>> but this is my favorite:
>>> 'A Short History of America' (up to 30 years ago):
>>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumbpart1.jpg
>>> http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2005/03/08/crumb_partii.jpg
>>>
>>> and the next few hundred years:
>>> http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP_RC.shorthist&Category_Code=
>> Those are really good. I've got a couple of his early little comic books
>> around here somewhere. I should think there'd be some sort of collector
>> interest in Crumb's work.
>
> Not so much for the printed material.
> http://www.undergroundcollectibles.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10288/subcatid/0/id/354258
> shows you can buy a comic book by Crumb for $12.
>
> A signed original, though, would be a different story.

The numbered prints at that link sold for $2,500 fifteen years ago.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Helen Oster

Jan 31, 2009, 5:12:13 PM1/31/09
On Jan 30, 4:37 pm, Caesar Romano <S...@uce.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 03:48:44 -0800 (PST), Helen Oster
> <osterhe...@gmail.com> wrote Re Re: Surprised atAdorama!:

> >With high demand items, frequent delivery and dispatch times mean that
> >items can come in one door, be packaged, and out of another within a
> >couple of hours, so real time inventory is often not possible.
>
> It is often not possible with your current system, but the information
> is available on one of your computers as the people on the phone can
> verify stock from one of their computers. Is that correct or am I
> misunderstanding the situation?
>
> If that is correct, then it's possible to get the information to your
> web site in a timely manner with the proper software. Other companies
> do it.
>
> Granted,Adorama's particular mix of present software may make it

> unacceptably difficult or costly, but that is a problem to work on as
> is being done. Eventually it will be improved and your customers will
> be happier for it.
>
> I appreciate your participation in this NG. It's a good sign and a
> credit toAdorama.
>
> >We are currently working on our systems to be able to handle this more
> >efficiently.
>
> That is important.
>
> It is also my understanding thatAdoramadoes not charge a customer's

> credit card until the order has shipped. Is that correct?
>
> Keep up the good work.

Yes, if you place a 'phone order, the rep on the phone ought to be
able to verifythe stock situation - although I'm not sure exactly what
happens in those situations where we have low stock levels and several
of the same item are ordered simultaneously.

Yes, also correct, that we don't charge a customer's credit card until
an order has shipped.

BTW, thank you for making me feel so welcome. Don't forget, if I miss
a posting, and you are looking for a response, you can always contact
me directly: helen...@adoramacamera.com

Paul Furman

Jan 31, 2009, 5:19:00 PM1/31/09
> The numbered prints at that link sold for $2,500 fifteen years ago.

That link. And it looks like they were originally $250, but 10x that for
the last one this site sold.