Silliest camera modes

Charles

Feb 20, 2009, 5:36:14 PM2/20/09
I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

Feb 20, 2009, 6:15:36 PM2/20/09
"Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

Only if you state the camera model on which they're found.

Charles

Feb 20, 2009, 6:26:42 PM2/20/09

"N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message

http://mykeong.blogspot.com/2008/11/digital-camera-olympus-fe-320.html

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=226755&mfg=Olympus&catid=7

There could be many others.

Message has been deleted

Marco Tedaldi

Feb 21, 2009, 5:24:38 AM2/21/09
Jim schrieb:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:36:14 -0500, "Charles"
> <charles...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.
>>
> How about B&W?

True for most of the people here... But We're going a way to people
taking photos and printing them out with direct printing.

Image manipulation on the computer will be done by the people that hav
had a lab in earlier days. So such functionality might be useful for
casual photographers...

No one forces you to use this stuff :-)

kruemi

--
Agfa isolette, EOS 40D
http://flickr.com/photos/kruemi

PeteD

Feb 22, 2009, 1:01:03 AM2/22/09

"N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message
> [...]

I feel so inadequate, my K10D has no scene modes. ;-)

Feb 22, 2009, 1:05:06 AM2/22/09
"PeteD" <n...@email.dude.com> wrote in message

Nor does my D300 :-)

Derge

Feb 22, 2009, 12:10:30 PM2/22/09
On Feb 20, 3:26 pm, "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message

> > "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> http://mykeong.blogspot.com/2008/11/digital-camera-olympus-fe-320.html

Behind class? Documents? *Auction*? WHAT? What does it MEAN?!

BenArlan

Feb 22, 2009, 4:26:58 PM2/22/09
wrote:

>I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

Mirror Lock-up Mode: Makes a viewfinder 100% useless, no need for it in a
well designed camera that doesn't depend on a noisy and camera jarring
focal-plane shutter design from last century.

Sensor Cleaning Mode: What a joke. Not needed in a well designed camera.
Let's all just put a half-assed patch and rubber wheels on some horse-drawn
buggy to try to make it road-worthy, but in the end you're still left
cleaning up the piles of crap.

DOF Preview Mode: Darkens the image in an OVF so much that it's useless.

There's so many more just like this but to list them all would be a waste
of my valuable time.

Message has been deleted

Ray Fischer

Feb 22, 2009, 8:01:14 PM2/22/09
BenArlan <bar...@dslrtrollkillers.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:36:14 -0500, "Charles" <charles...@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.
>>

>Mirror Lock-up Mode: Makes a viewfinder 100% useless, no need for it in a
>well designed camera that doesn't depend on a noisy and camera jarring
>focal-plane shutter design from last century.

_____________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Do not feed the |
/ O O\__ | trolls. Thank you. |
/ \ | --Mgt. |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

John McWilliams

Feb 22, 2009, 8:40:55 PM2/22/09
Ray Fischer wrote:

> _____________________
> /| /| | |
> ||__|| | Do not feed the |
> / O O\__ | trolls. Thank you. |

> / \ | --Mgt. - Yeah, right, Management! |

> / \ \|_____________________|
> / _ \ \ ||
> / |\____\ \ ||
> / | | | |\____/ ||
> / \|_|_|/ | _||
> / / \ |____| ||
> / | | | --|
> | | | |____ --|
> * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
> *-- _--\ _ \ | ||
> / _ \\ | / `
> * / \_ /- | | |
> * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Do follow your own advice.

--
John McWilliams

Neil Harrington

Feb 22, 2009, 9:14:25 PM2/22/09

"Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

My entry would be Nikon's recently introduced "smile" mode -- the camera
fires when it detects that the subject is smiling. I have it on one of my
new Coolpixes but have never actually tried it.

No doubt we'll see more of this stuff as manufacturers wrack their brains
for some new feature to distinguish new models from last year's (or maybe
from six months ago, judging by the rapidity with which new models appear).
In their newest models I see Nikon has an anti-blink mode -- the camera
fires twice, keeps the shot in which it has determined the subject is not
caught in mid-blink. (I wonder what it does if there are two subjects and
they both blink but in the alternate shots.)

Technology marches on.

Rich

Feb 22, 2009, 9:21:43 PM2/22/09
"Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote in news:gnnb90$sa4$1
@news.motzarella.org:

> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

Olympus E-30 "Art" filters?

Van Perry

Feb 23, 2009, 12:33:22 AM2/23/09
On 23 Feb 2009 01:01:14 GMT, rfis...@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

______________________
| |
| Please ignore all |
| the morons who call |
/| /| | smarter people |
||__|| |"trolls", due to their|
/ O O\__ | own insecurities. |
/ \ | Thank-you. |
/ \ \|______________________|

Pete D

Feb 23, 2009, 2:20:43 AM2/23/09

"N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message

Mind you I never use them on my Ds, almost always shoot in aperture
priority.

The K10D has a fabulous setup for its program mode call hyper program, use
the rear wheel and you make adjustments in apeerture priority mode and if
you use the front wheel it adjusts in shutter priority mode.

Paul Furman

Feb 23, 2009, 3:05:01 AM2/23/09
Derge wrote:
> On Feb 20, 3:26 pm, "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> "N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message

>>> "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> http://mykeong.blogspot.com/2008/11/digital-camera-olympus-fe-320.html
>
> Behind class?

Classy looking rear end mode?
(behind glass I guess)

> Documents?

Macro with high contrast for text & linework?

Ron Hunter

Feb 23, 2009, 4:28:14 AM2/23/09
Marty Fremen wrote:

> "Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.
>
> The food mode is a Japanese thing. The Japanese expect food to look
> beautiful and if you check out some Japanese blogs you will find they often
> photograph the dishes they get in restaurants for their friends to admire.
> It's an attitude that is basically alien to the West (except in a few
> poncey high class restaurants where aesthetic presentation is used an
> excuse for giving smaller portions)

I have no objection to a pleasing appearance to my food, but in the end,
it MUST taste good. I am not convinced that the appearance markedly
affects the taste.

whisky-dave

Feb 23, 2009, 6:53:07 AM2/23/09

"Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I'll nominate "cuisine" mode and "beauty" mode, to get the ball rolling.

What we really need is a porn mode
Now what manufacturer would pay me royalties on that idea

I'll only ask for 0.0001% :-),

Charles

Feb 24, 2009, 7:03:55 PM2/24/09

"Rich" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

What are they? Mood filters? This is mind boggling.

So, a mostly capable camera manufacturer cannot make a significant or even a
marginal advance in useable resolution, dynamic range, high ISO performance,
the user interface, or anything else that actually means something to most
photographers?

Marketing is tiresome. The best manufacturers have more aggressive
scientists and engineers and fewer aggressive marketers.