Cutting and pasting a person to another photo - light/colour problem

Brian

Jun 22, 2009, 8:47:30 AM6/22/09
I'm using Phhotoshop Elements 7 and recently took a photo of a group
of people. Because I took the photo I could not be in the group.
Someone also took my photo that day. What I'd like to do is cut and
paste myself with the group. I've been told that there can be
lightning and colour problems when doing this and I want the photo to
look natural as if I was standing in the group when the photo was
taken.
Is there a way to copy the light and colour levels across to the photo
of myself from the group photo so that when I cut and paste myself
into the group then all the light and colour levels will match?
Both photos were taken inside but using different room lights.

Regards Brian

tony cooper

Jun 22, 2009, 9:21:04 AM6/22/09

You are asking us to offer advice on photographs we can't see. There
may be significant difference or there may not be.

Your image, when pasted in, will be a separate layer. You will be
able to make adjustments to that layer that will not apply to the
layer of the rest of the group. By making your adjustments in Curves,
you should be able to blend that layer to match the other layer unless
there are some significant differences in lighting.

Unless the composite is done by someone who is truly expert in
masking, the result will not appear completely realistic. However,
the result can be good enough to please you if you are careful.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Don Stauffer

Jun 22, 2009, 9:39:05 AM6/22/09

Yes, such corrections are possible but it takes a LOT of practice.
Cutting and pasting are not trivial "one button fixes". Even Elements
takes a lot of work to learn and use properly. While you can read "how
to" explanations of the steps, learning to do this is a lot more like
learning to ride a bicycle or learning to play tennis. Knowing how is
not enough.

The best bet is to start with much simpler tasks than people. Practice
cutting and pasting simple objects into simple backgrounds and leave
your people picture until you gain mastery.

Also, the ANGLE of lighting is not nearly as easy to fix as the level
snd color. If the angle is wrong you will have a devil of a time even
after attaining mastery. If the lighting angle is off, it is much better
to reshoot your image by carefully duplicating the lighting conditions.

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 12:04:22 PM6/22/09
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:39:05 -0500, Don Stauffer <stau...@usfamily.net>
wrote in <4a3f897a$0$16044$815e...@news.qwest.net>:

>Also, the ANGLE of lighting is not nearly as easy to fix as the level
>snd color. If the angle is wrong you will have a devil of a time even
>after attaining mastery. If the lighting angle is off, it is much better
>to reshoot your image by carefully duplicating the lighting conditions.

Likewise harshness -- harsh sunlight is much different than shade.

--
Best regards,
John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)

Roy G

Jun 22, 2009, 12:25:44 PM6/22/09

"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

It can be done depending on a number of factors.

However what you should have done at the time
was to use the Delay Timer while the Camera was on a Tripod.

It is always much simpler and better to get it right in the Camera.

Roy G

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 1:25:38 PM6/22/09
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:25:44 +0100, "Roy G" <roy...@virgin.net> wrote
in <dgO%l.54642$Ud7....@newsfe09.ams2>:

>"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I'm using Phhotoshop Elements 7 and recently took a photo of a group
>> of people. Because I took the photo I could not be in the group.
>> Someone also took my photo that day. What I'd like to do is cut and
>> paste myself with the group. I've been told that there can be
>> lightning and colour problems when doing this and I want the photo to
>> look natural as if I was standing in the group when the photo was
>> taken.
>> Is there a way to copy the light and colour levels across to the photo
>> of myself from the group photo so that when I cut and paste myself
>> into the group then all the light and colour levels will match?
>> Both photos were taken inside but using different room lights.

>It can be done depending on a number of factors.

>However what you should have done at the time
>was to use the Delay Timer while the Camera was on a Tripod.

Or just get someone else to take the picture, which is usually possible
in a public place.

>It is always much simpler and better to get it right in the Camera.

True, but we don't always realize that at the time.

Brian

Jun 22, 2009, 9:44:35 PM6/22/09
"Roy G" <roy...@virgin.net> wrote:

Hi Roy.
The problem with the delay timer is that it can take a photo when you
don't want it to. You have much better control of the photo if you
take it yourself. Also by the time you have setup the tripod someone
has wandered off. But thanks ffor reminding me about the self timer
which has worked a few times for me in the past.

Regards Brian