OT: The Flat Stomach ad: Worst Photography Ever?

C J Campbell

Feb 5, 2009, 10:58:40 AM2/5/09
The "One rule for a flat stomach" ad turns my stomach for sure. The
before and after shots are horrible.

Worse, this ad seems to appear on practically every page on the web,
sometimes two or three times. There has to be some way of blocking this
obnoxious thing using Safari on a Mac.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Bert Hyman

Feb 5, 2009, 11:11:40 AM2/5/09
In news:2009020507584016807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom C J Campbell
<christoph...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There has to be some way of blocking this
> obnoxious thing using Safari on a Mac.

Does Safari have the "block images from ..." option like Firefox? In
Firefox, that shows up in the pop-up menu when you right-click an image
on a Web page.

Otherwise, look at the image properties and copy the host name of the
site that's serving the image, then edit your hosts file and add a line
like this:

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

replacing "ad.doubleclick.net" with the name of the serving site.

I don't know where the hosts file lives on your Mac or what handsprings
you have to turn in order to edit it.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Jürgen Exner

Feb 5, 2009, 11:26:12 AM2/5/09
C J Campbell <christoph...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Worse, this ad seems to appear on practically every page on the web,
>sometimes two or three times. There has to be some way of blocking this
>obnoxious thing

Never seen it. I guess the AdBlock Plus and maybe FlashBlock addons do
their job in FireFox.

>using Safari on a Mac.

Sorry, no experience with those. But maybe you can check if there are
similar addons for Safari.

jue

nospam

Feb 5, 2009, 6:50:24 PM2/5/09
In article <2009020507584016807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom>, C J
Campbell <christoph...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Worse, this ad seems to appear on practically every page on the web,
> sometimes two or three times. There has to be some way of blocking this
> obnoxious thing using Safari on a Mac.

there are 7 options for adblocking listed here:
<http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/?c=Adblocking>

Peter Irwin

Feb 5, 2009, 11:45:58 PM2/5/09
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote:

> I don't know where the hosts file lives on your Mac or what handsprings
> you have to turn in order to edit it.

It is in /etc/hosts. You have to have root access to change it.
Using sudo is probably the safest and easiest way to get root
privileges on a Mac.

Peter.
--
pir...@ktb.net

Message has been deleted

C J Campbell <christophercampbell

Feb 6, 2009, 11:04:51 AM2/6/09
On 2009-02-05 21:27:09 -0800, Savageduck <savag...@savage.net> said:

> On 2009-02-05 07:58:40 -0800, C J Campbell

> <christoph...@hotmail.com> said:
>
>> The "One rule for a flat stomach" ad turns my stomach for sure. The
>> before and after shots are horrible.
>>
>> Worse, this ad seems to appear on practically every page on the web,
>> sometimes two or three times. There has to be some way of blocking this
>> obnoxious thing using Safari on a Mac.
>

> Try PithHelmet http://www.culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php

Thanks. PithHelmet seems to get the most favorable reviews. I'll give it a try.