Problem with a Canon 50D

Gary Edstrom

May 29, 2009, 6:26:46 PM5/29/09
My 4 month old Canon 50D has just developed a problem with the thumb
wheel located just behind the shutter release. No function that
requires its use functions anymore. Among other things, I can no longer
adjust the ASA value.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem?

I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

Gary

Bob AZ

May 30, 2009, 2:41:42 AM5/30/09

> Has anyone else seen a similar problem?
>
> I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
> see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
>
> In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.
>
> Gary

Gary

I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
is me.

Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Bob AZ

Oh this is fun...

May 30, 2009, 3:04:52 AM5/30/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <rwats...@aol.com>
wrote:

At the price that they charge you for your short-lifespan DSLR cameras and
poorly figured non-diffraction-limited glass, they should come over and
take your photos for you too.

LOL!!!!!!

Gary Edstrom

May 30, 2009, 6:57:44 AM5/30/09
On Sat, 30 May 2009 02:04:52 -0500, Oh this is fun... <ot...@otif.net>
wrote:

>At the price that they charge you for your short-lifespan DSLR cameras and
>poorly figured non-diffraction-limited glass, they should come over and
>take your photos for you too.
>
>LOL!!!!!!

While the technological life of today's cameras may be kind of short,
the prices have certainly come down since the old days. I purchased my
first SLR camera back in 1974...a Nikon F2. Although I got it at a
great discount by purchasing it overseas while in the Navy, the average
stateside price was around $600 at the time. That's 35 years ago. I
wonder what an inflation adjusted price would be today!

The camera still functions just fine today, but it would be getting
harder and harder to get film for it! The last time I ever shot a frame
of film was during a return visit to Midway Island back in 2001. I have
been 100% digital ever since.

I don't know what the resolution limit of my standard 17-85mm Canon lens
is. It may not be diffraction limited, but it certainly goes down to
the resolution limit of the 15MP sensor. I have a number of pictures I
specifically took for resolution tests and it goes right down to the
pixel level limit.

Gary

John McWilliams

May 30, 2009, 10:12:02 AM5/30/09
Bob AZ wrote:
>> Has anyone else seen a similar problem?
>>
>> I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
>> see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
>>
>> In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.

> I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it

> is me.
>
> Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
> Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
> pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.

Your first step would be to take the battery out for ten minutes. Then,
if that doesn't reset/fix it, and a quick go through of menu settings
has been done, dial 1-800......

--
John McWilliams

Matt Ion

May 30, 2009, 4:43:50 PM5/30/09

This may be a stupid question, but are you enabling the thumb wheel? I
don't know about the 50D specifically, but my 40D's power switch has two
positions - the first turns the camera on but leaves the thumbwheel
disabled; the second enabled the thumbwheel.

Not trying to be consescending or anything, it's just amazing the little
things that get overlooked sometimes... I'm even guilty of it myself
(try shooting a couple dozen frames and then realizing you don't have a
card in the camera... duh!)

Gary Edstrom

May 31, 2009, 5:40:34 PM5/31/09
On Sat, 30 May 2009 13:43:50 -0700, Matt Ion <soun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yes, I know about the 2-position switch...I had used a 20D for 4 years
prior to getting the 50D. That is not the problem. I normally keep it
in the full-on position. No menu setting or anything else that requires
the use of the small thumb-wheel functions at all. Fortunately, the
settings are stuck in the mode that I use most of the time. So I was
able to continue using it on the trip I just got back from.

I am calling Canon Monday.

Gary

Gary Edstrom

May 31, 2009, 5:41:26 PM5/31/09
On Sat, 30 May 2009 07:12:02 -0700, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I'll try the battery, but I can't go through the menu settings without
the use of the small thumbwheel. I can't get there from here!

Gary

dwight

Jun 1, 2009, 7:18:35 AM6/1/09

"Gary Edstrom" <GEds...@PacBell.Net> wrote in message

Of course, you can. To tab through the menu, use the 8-way button above the
large wheel on the back. It does the same thing that the small wheel up top
does, in that context.

dwight

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:46:40 AM6/1/09
Oh this is fun... wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:41:42 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ <rwats...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone else seen a similar problem?
>>>
>>> I plan on calling Canon for warranty repair next Monday, but wanted to
>>> see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
>>>
>>> In 4 years of use, my older 20D never had any problems.
>>>
>>> Gary
>> Gary
>>
>> I have owned a 20D and 40D and everytime there has been a problem it
>> is me.
>>
>> Canon has an 800 number to call that stays open until 10PM Eastern
>> Time. Each time I have called they talked me through things and
>> pointed out where in the manual the problem is discussed.
>>
>> Bob AZ
>
> At the price that they ch[*SLAP!*]

You'd like to show us some of your photos? Sure, that'd be great!

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:52:19 AM6/1/09

Oh yeah. When I bought the extended battery grip for my 10D, I found
that the portrait-mode controls didn't work, & took it back to the shop.
Imagine my embarrassment when the girl behind the counter looked me in
the eye, flicked a tiny little switch, & shot a picture with the
'broken' control. Boy, was my face face red. It turned out that there's
an enable switch for all the vertical controls, so that you keep from
hitting the buttons by accident, & they switch it off at the factory.
I apologised profusely, & slunk out of the shop.

Matt Ion

Jun 1, 2009, 2:16:05 PM6/1/09

Funny you should mention that, that got me too when I first put together
my 40D. Stupid thing is, I also had the battery grip with my 300D; it
had the same switch, and once I turned it on, I never turned it off
again. I guess when I put the 40D's grip on, it just slipped my mind
that I'd have to turn that switch on... I spent several minutes removing
and reinserting the grip and the battery, turning the camera off and on...

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 5:49:25 PM6/1/09

In my case, the worst part was that I'd brought my girlfriend with me
when I went into the camera shop to return my 'faulty' grip. God, I felt
like a complete idiot. And it didn't help that I'd spent quite a few
years doing customer service myself, so I'd been on the other side of
the counter with idiot customers myself a zillion times. I knew
*exactly* what the girl was thinking about me...

Gary Edstrom

Jun 1, 2009, 8:00:37 PM6/1/09

Thanks for the tip...I didn't know about that way of working through the
menus.

However, my problem remains...I talked to Canon today and they agree
there is a problem. I have a return authorization number and I am going
to be sending in the camera Tuesday.

Gary

Matt Ion

Jun 2, 2009, 1:26:36 AM6/2/09

And I'm sure it'll be years before the girlfriend lets you live it down,
too!

Bob Larter

Jun 2, 2009, 4:58:44 AM6/2/09

Amazingly, she's never once brought it up.

Matt Ion

Jun 3, 2009, 4:49:54 PM6/3/09

Of course not. She'll hold onto it until such a time as you have an
argument in which she's wrong about something... then, WHAMMO.

none

Jun 6, 2009, 1:09:40 AM6/6/09
to Gary Edstrom
I still use the 20d I think its a great camera. I also would like to
change to a newer camera, any ideas?

--
http://www.photochimper.com
A great digital photo Club/forum

Gary Edstrom

Jun 6, 2009, 9:14:37 AM6/6/09
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 01:09:40 -0400, none <no...@optonline.net> wrote:

>I still use the 20d I think its a great camera. I also would like to
>change to a newer camera, any ideas?

My primary reason for going to the 50D is that it takes all the same
lenses and other accessories as the 20D. I didn't need to shell out
money for new lenses.

It's functionality is very similar to the 20D. One nice feature is the
automatic ultra-sonic sensor cleaning every time you turn the camera on
or off.

Gary

ASAAR

Jun 6, 2009, 4:02:26 PM6/6/09
On Sat, 30 May 2009 04:57:44 -0600, Gary Edstrom wrote:

> While the technological life of today's cameras may be kind of short,

Being reasonable is a waste of time. You just replied to the
newsgroup's resident Anti-DSLR troll. Some trolls can be reasoned
with, occasionally. This one, never. It's one of his forms of
auto-entertainment, when he's bored with the others or needs to use
the keyboard for a while to loosen up his fingers.

dwight

Jun 7, 2009, 8:23:00 AM6/7/09

"Gary Edstrom" <GEds...@PacBell.Net> wrote in message

I was coming from a Rebel XT, myself. Most of the advice suggested that I
look up to the full frame models, but that was more than I wanted to spend.
It came down to a 40d or 50d in the end, and I decided to go with the newer
tech with more features (that large, clear display on the back, for
instance). The 40d could have been had for about US$300 less, but I opted
for the 50d. I've had it now for about two weeks and 1,400 images. It's an
absolute joy. The high speed burst is amazing, high-ISO images are not
disappointing. I can't put the thing down.

That being said, I'm sure that I would have been happy with the 40d, if I'd
chosen to go that route.

dwight
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/eos50d/