Which format is best to save in

booth...@hotmail.com

May 23, 2009, 12:36:48 PM5/23/09
Hi

After taking pictures in RAW, then converting them so Photoshop CS2
can read them using Adobe DNG converter, & after adjusting them in
CS2, what is the best format to save them in ie JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc.

Thanxs in advance.

Marcus.

Using Sony A300, dslr

John Passaneau

May 23, 2009, 12:49:54 PM5/23/09
to booth...@hotmail.com
TIFF, it's not lossy, universally readable, and recommended by Adobe.
You can save with or without layers. If you want to compress use ZIP
compression.

John Passaneau

Message has been deleted

John McWilliams

May 23, 2009, 9:34:00 PM5/23/09
booth...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> After taking pictures in RAW, then converting them so Photoshop CS2
> can read them using Adobe DNG converter, & after adjusting them in
> CS2, what is the best format to save them in ie JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc.

> Using Sony A300, dslr

RAW/DNG files contain the most info. Otherwise, TIFF is the next best bet.

--
john mcwilliams

ray

May 24, 2009, 10:55:52 AM5/24/09

FWIW - I always archive the original raw file. I figure I can get what I
need from it. Beyond that, I 'save' files in whatever format I need for
how I'm using them - most often jpeg.

Don Stauffer

May 24, 2009, 11:17:38 AM5/24/09

As long as you have any idea of editing them, save them in the native
format of your image editor, i.e, PSD for photoshop, etc. If you are
absolutely sure you will do no more editing, you can save them in jpeg
with a low compression setting and it can save you a bit of hard drive
space, or tiff if you have a big drive.

Paul Furman

May 24, 2009, 2:05:21 PM5/24/09

"Best" is tif or psd.

Keep the dng files.

I make jpegs at 11/12 compression because that's "good enough" and
easily compatible with any program.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Bob Larter

May 31, 2009, 4:46:30 PM5/31/09
booth...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> After taking pictures in RAW, then converting them so Photoshop CS2
> can read them using Adobe DNG converter, & after adjusting them in
> CS2, what is the best format to save them in ie JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc.

PSD. Copy & resize to JPEG for printing or web use.