Profiles

Gordo

Mar 16, 2009, 10:33:03 AM3/16/09

I am looking for a profile for a Canon S900 printer and Kirkland
Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper.

Is there one available? If so, where could I obtain it?

Many thanks,

Gordo

Allen

Mar 16, 2009, 10:59:40 AM3/16/09
I think you will need to find who makes the paper for Kirkland (a Costco
brand for those who aren't familiar with it) and work from there. At
onetime, as I recall, Ilford made some of their paper at one time, but
it might be from somewhere else now.
Allen

pupick

Mar 16, 2009, 3:41:50 PM3/16/09
Generally start with the most closely matched profile that comes with your
printer.
In this case it would probably be Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy.
Be sure you understand Canon's procedures for color managed printing in
Photoshop.
If you are not satisfied with the results compared to using Canon's own
paper, and do not want to pay for a custom profile (which would be sort of
nuts for using Costco brand paper) then try to analyze what you think is off
about the Kirkland paper print.
You can create a test strip with adjustments to brightness (the most common
issue) or color (far more difficult to do by eyeballing) and save whatever
works for you as an action that you can apply just prior to printing.
Most modern consumer higher grade glossy papers tend to print similarly in
my experience using the canned profile for the printer manufacturer's
comparable paper stock.

John Passaneau

Mar 16, 2009, 9:31:21 PM3/16/09

One way is to get a custom profile made. I've had good luck with Cathy's
Profiles. http://www.cathysprofiles.com/ I found the profiles to be top
notch.

John Passaneau

D-Mac

Mar 17, 2009, 12:19:10 AM3/17/09

The problem with trying to profile "rebadged" papers or inks is they
almost never produce identical results. What is bought from Ilford and
rebadged today might come from Kodak tomorrow.

With a decent profile costing $40 or so, isn't it making better sense to
pay more for the right paper?

D-Mac.info