Panasonic LZ-2 memory capacity

isw

May 26, 2009, 12:54:15 AM5/26/09
The user manual says that 1GB is the maximum the camera can use, but
I've seen places on line offering 2 and 4 GB SD cards for it.

It may be that 1GB was just the largest thing available at the time the
manual was written. Does anybody know for sure what the maximum card
size is?

Isaac

David J Taylor

May 26, 2009, 3:37:42 AM5/26/09

What age (design) is the camera, Isaac?

2GB would be the maximum for SD cards, if you want to go to 4GB you should
look for a statement that the camera will take SDHC cards, and that may be
missing from an older camera.

David

Ofnuts

May 26, 2009, 3:51:15 AM5/26/09

2Gb card should work. 4Gb ones (of the plain SD variety, not the SDHC
ones) *may* work.
--
Bertrand

Stormin Mormon

May 26, 2009, 9:35:31 AM5/26/09
My Panasonic (LS-70) says it takes up to something, I'm
thinking 2 GB and then you have to use SDHC cards. I got a
couple SDHC in 4 and 8 GB, and they don't work. So, I got a
couple adaptors off Ebay and now I use the cards as flash
drives.

With storage cards being about ten bucks each, buy one or
two and try em out. Or, borrow a couple from a friend to
try.

With my camera plugged into my computer, I can use Windows
Explorer to view the pictures on my camera, rename them,
delete the ones I don't want. I can also defragment my
memory card using Disk Defragmenter, and then choosing the
camera drive.

I havn't had any need to, but it is possible to store
documents, and other files on my camera's memory card.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"isw" <i...@witzend.com> wrote in message

ray

May 26, 2009, 11:00:58 AM5/26/09

You'll probably not have any issues with larger cards, but can't say until
you try them. There is some good info on the wikipedia article about SD
cards. Make certain that they are not SDHC cards and you'll probably be
all right.

isw

May 26, 2009, 1:10:17 PM5/26/09
In article <a%MSl.34012$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
"David J Taylor"
<david-...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> isw wrote:
> > The user manual says that 1GB is the maximum the camera can use, but
> > I've seen places on line offering 2 and 4 GB SD cards for it.
> >
> > It may be that 1GB was just the largest thing available at the time
> > the manual was written. Does anybody know for sure what the maximum
> > card size is?
> >
> > Isaac
>
> What age (design) is the camera, Isaac?

Honestly, I don't know; I bought it used.

> 2GB would be the maximum for SD cards, if you want to go to 4GB you should
> look for a statement that the camera will take SDHC cards, and that may be
> missing from an older camera.

I'm pretty sure it won't handle SDHC cards; there's no mention of that
in the User Manual.

Isaac

isw

May 26, 2009, 1:16:27 PM5/26/09
In article <4a1b9f72$0$21815$426a...@news.free.fr>,
Ofnuts <o.f.n...@la.poste.net> wrote:

I appreciate the info. Could you elaborate on why? I'm always interested
in knowing the reasons... (I know why SDHC won't work).

I once had a digital camera that used the old Compact Flash cards. The
User Manual cautioned that the camera software would scramble any card
with more than 32 Meg capacity; I just wondered if this camera might
have a similar "feature".

Isaac

David J Taylor

May 26, 2009, 2:58:24 PM5/26/09
isw wrote:
[]

> I appreciate the info. Could you elaborate on why? I'm always
> interested in knowing the reasons... (I know why SDHC won't work).
>
> I once had a digital camera that used the old Compact Flash cards. The
> User Manual cautioned that the camera software would scramble any card
> with more than 32 Meg capacity; I just wondered if this camera might
> have a similar "feature".
>
> Isaac

Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#Compatibility_issues_with_2_GB_and_larger_cards

Cheers,
David

isw

May 27, 2009, 1:26:46 AM5/27/09
In article <kZWSl.34299$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

"David J Taylor"
<david-...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

Well, actually, it was that article that caused me to ask here if anyone
*knew* what sizes the LZ-2 could handle. I have no idea how to find out
whether it is an SD 1.0 or an SD 1.01 device.

Isaac

David J Taylor

May 27, 2009, 2:46:22 AM5/27/09
isw wrote:
[]

> Well, actually, it was that article that caused me to ask here if
> anyone *knew* what sizes the LZ-2 could handle. I have no idea how to
> find out whether it is an SD 1.0 or an SD 1.01 device.
>
> Isaac

Why not ask the manufacturer?

David

isw

May 27, 2009, 1:43:58 PM5/27/09
In article <2l5Tl.34498$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

"David J Taylor"
<david-...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

Over the years, I have found that manufacturers are usually not able to
answer my questions in a useful way. I'll write or call and pose the
question, and I'll be referred to the user manual, which is right where
I started.

Isaac

David J Taylor

May 27, 2009, 4:00:47 PM5/27/09

I know what you mena, but it's still worth asking.

As a rule of thumb, if it's SD don't go above 2GB, and only use SDHC if
the camera specs mention that capability.

Cheers,
David

Stormin Mormon

May 27, 2009, 9:35:40 PM5/27/09
I had a tech question one time. Wrote to the manufacturer
and the suggested I call the distributor. Hello! The
distributor is the guy who says "What size would you like?
One or two? Fries with that?". Nice people. But folks who
pull boxes off the shelf won't likely know the tech details.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus