Pandigital Video Formats

Talal

Apr 26, 2009, 10:53:20 AM4/26/09
Hello,

Yesterday I bought a Pandigital frame. I tried to load video files, but the
frame always complains that the file format is not supported. The user's
manual has that .AVI files are supported, yet there are no further details.
The frame did not come with PC software and no PC documentation, but a very
thin user's guide. Thanks.

Talal

David J Taylor

Apr 27, 2009, 2:54:50 AM4/27/09

AVI is a "container" format - what matters is what's inside. Try
converting to a non-compressed AVI format.

David

83LowRider

Apr 27, 2009, 5:42:08 AM4/27/09

"Talal" wrote

Google the free app GSpot... drag any video file into the GSpot box and
it will tell you what kind of codec is used in the avi. Some 'players' will
not handle xvid, while divx is the more recognized. Find a file that works
in the frame, and take notice of the codec using GSpot.. Compare it to
the codec used in the non-working file.

Bob Larter

Apr 27, 2009, 7:20:31 AM4/27/09
David J Taylor wrote:
> Talal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yesterday I bought a Pandigital frame. I tried to load video files,
>> but the frame always complains that the file format is not supported.
>> The user's manual has that .AVI files are supported, yet there are no
>> further details. The frame did not come with PC software and no PC
>> documentation, but a very thin user's guide. Thanks.
>>
>> Talal
>
> AVI is a "container" format - what matters is what's inside.

True.

> Try
> converting to a non-compressed AVI format.

Well, it's a more complex problem than that. All AVI formats other than
RGB are compressed in one way or another. The OP needs to find out what
CODECs the frame supports (should be in the manual), & to convert to one
of them. MJPEG is a likely choice.

Bob Larter

Apr 27, 2009, 7:26:03 AM4/27/09

Good advice, LowRider. As I said in an earlier post. MJPEG might be a
good choice.

David J Taylor

Apr 27, 2009, 7:29:36 AM4/27/09
Bob Larter wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]

>> Try
>> converting to a non-compressed AVI format.
>
> Well, it's a more complex problem than that. All AVI formats other
> than RGB are compressed in one way or another. The OP needs to find
> out what CODECs the frame supports (should be in the manual), & to
> convert to one of them. MJPEG is a likely choice.

I was trying to keep it simple, and hoping that an RGB non-compressed AVI
file would work.

"Should be in the manual" is true, but will it be? I mean, sometimes the
"manual" is about a single sheet of paper!

Cheers,
David

Message has been deleted

Bob Larter

Apr 27, 2009, 7:56:06 AM4/27/09
David J Taylor wrote:
> Bob Larter wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
> []
>>> Try
>>> converting to a non-compressed AVI format.
>>
>> Well, it's a more complex problem than that. All AVI formats other
>> than RGB are compressed in one way or another. The OP needs to find
>> out what CODECs the frame supports (should be in the manual), & to
>> convert to one of them. MJPEG is a likely choice.
>
> I was trying to keep it simple, and hoping that an RGB non-compressed
> AVI file would work.

There's only one or two non-compressed formats, & they're incredibly bulky.

> "Should be in the manual" is true, but will it be? I mean, sometimes
> the "manual" is about a single sheet of paper!

Very true.

Bob Larter

Apr 27, 2009, 7:56:37 AM4/27/09
m...@mine.net wrote:
> And if you look in the Technical Specifications table you should find
> it says Motion JPEG (AVI).

That'd be my guess too.

Dave Cohen

Apr 27, 2009, 11:28:04 AM4/27/09
Bob Larter wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Bob Larter wrote:
>>> David J Taylor wrote:
>> []
>>>
>>> Well, it's a more complex problem than that. All AVI formats other
>>> than RGB are compressed in one way or another. The OP needs to find
>>> out what CODECs the frame supports (should be in the manual), & to
>>> convert to one of them. MJPEG is a likely choice.
>>
>> I was trying to keep it simple, and hoping that an RGB non-compressed
>> AVI file would work.
>
> There's only one or two non-compressed formats, & they're incredibly bulky.
>
>> "Should be in the manual" is true, but will it be? I mean, sometimes
>> the "manual" is about a single sheet of paper!
>
> Very true.

True it may be, but it's also true that these days fuller manuals are
usually available on the web. Why not try http://www.pandigital.net/support
first hit on a web search for Pandigital Frames. I'm not saying the
answer is there, but if it isn't op can post a question.
Dave Cohen
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

awes...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2016, 8:36:24 PM11/13/16

RichA

Nov 13, 2016, 8:48:39 PM11/13/16
Get Wondershare video converter (one of the best) and experiment with .avi/divx files. It could be as simple as resolution.