cameras with built in GPS

_aperture

Feb 26, 2009, 1:56:37 AM2/26/09

What are the cameras out there with a built in GPS so that the photos
get geo-tagged? I am looking for a compact camera - not an SLR.

What are the other ways (software, perhaps) of getting the longitude/
latitude information into the image EXIF?

tia,
bala

Pioneer42

Feb 26, 2009, 9:36:21 AM2/26/09

You can use Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools to geotag photos using a .gpx
track file from any GPS receiver. It coordinates the time stamps of the
photos with the time data of the GPS track.

http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/tools.aspx

You can also use Picasa/Google Earth for manual geotagging, but it will
not coordinate the timestamps automatically.

G.Eisenmann

Feb 26, 2009, 10:23:32 AM2/26/09
"_aperture" <bala.v...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> What are the cameras out there with a built in GPS so that the photos
> get geo-tagged? I am looking for a compact camera - not an SLR.

- Nikon Coolpix P6000 -

---
www.german-translators.net

Matt Ion

Feb 26, 2009, 10:43:36 AM2/26/09

There's a (new? I just discovered it) web service called GPSed.com that
can import your GPS tracks in a number of formats, overlay them on maps
(using Google Maps/Google Earth), share them for you on your
social-networking site of choice, and geotag your photos in PicasaWeb or
Flikr and add them to your map. It even makes the time-offset easy, as
it pops up a little dialog asking you to enter the current date and time
on your camera, and calculates it from there.

They also have apps for GPS-enabled Windows Mobile phones and iPhones
that will log your tracks and optionally update your maps and
social-networking links as you go along.

sna...@mailinator.com

Feb 26, 2009, 3:27:42 PM2/26/09
Any camera that uses SD cards will do the job for you.

Check out the Eye-Fi Explore card.

George Kerby

Feb 26, 2009, 7:42:51 PM2/26/09

On 2/26/09 2:27 PM, in article rnudq418q8ti0qu9m...@4ax.com,
"sna...@mailinator.com" <sna...@mailinator.com> wrote:

Please expound on this? Thank you.

Atheist Chaplain

Feb 26, 2009, 8:25:02 PM2/26/09
"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

but you have to be within range of several wi-fi networks for the eye-fi to
geotag, not much good in the other 98% of the planet without wi-fi hot
spots.
http://www.eye.fi/services/geotagging/
--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

anir...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2009, 1:55:32 PM2/28/09

I believe Ricoh Caplio compact camera is GPS ready (latest model 500
SE). I know someone who used it during one of wilderness trips. Our
local surveyor equipment suppliers also have this camera to rent,
complete with the GPS.
I hope that this help.

George Kerby

Mar 1, 2009, 10:19:22 AM3/1/09

On 2/26/09 7:25 PM, in article 49a740fc$1...@news.x-privat.org, "Atheist
Chaplain" <abu...@cia.gov> wrote:

> "George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> On 2/26/09 2:27 PM, in article rnudq418q8ti0qu9m...@4ax.com,
>> "sna...@mailinator.com" <sna...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:56:37 -0800 (PST), _aperture
>>> <bala.v...@gmail.com>

>>> Any camera that uses SD cards will do the job for you.
>>>
>>> Check out the Eye-Fi Explore card.
>>>

>> Please expound on this? Thank you.
>>

> but you have to be within range of several wi-fi networks for the eye-fi to
> geotag, not much good in the other 98% of the planet without wi-fi hot
> spots.
> http://www.eye.fi/services/geotagging/

OK. Now I get it.

My 1st gen iPhone in downtown Houston is around 250 yards off using this
method. I would think where there are few or no wi-fi networks the Eye-Fi
card would be totally useless as geotagging device.

Thanks.

Petri Lopia

Mar 8, 2009, 2:04:40 PM3/8/09

And it's actually pretty easy to make that kind of "software" your self.
I have make one what takes time from photos Exif tags and then lat/lon
from Nokia SportTracker CSV track and then make google maps map with
thumbnails on the right places and so on...

--
StormChase, Lightnings, Nature, Galapagos, Ecuador, Kenya photos:
http://www.petrilopia.net/

Pat

Mar 8, 2009, 8:50:37 PM3/8/09

I didn't see this thread the first time it went by. Ricoh makes one.
Google for it. I think Casio used to make one, too. They are used in
appraising, real estate, claims adjusting, etc.