[Photos] Concrete of war

Silverdolphin

Feb 23, 2009, 10:41:56 AM2/23/09
Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
the indifference of every way life.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

My last photos: http://www.giuliobrantl.com/hiroshima.htm

John McWilliams

Feb 23, 2009, 10:48:49 AM2/23/09
Silverdolphin wrote:
> Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
> Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
> presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
> the indifference of every way life.
>
> Comments and suggestions will be appreciated

> http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

Nice; thanks. I'd like to see the images at least 50% larger.

--
John McWilliams

tony cooper

Feb 23, 2009, 11:15:43 AM2/23/09
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:41:56 -0800 (PST), Silverdolphin
<ian...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
>Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
>presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
>the indifference of every way life.
>
>Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

>http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

Unless there's a way I missed to enlarge these on the screen, the page
is a disappointment. They could be interesting shots. I can't tell
from what I saw.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

C J Campbell

Feb 23, 2009, 12:48:52 PM2/23/09
On 2009-02-23 07:41:56 -0800, Silverdolphin <ian...@gmail.com> said:

> Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
> Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
> presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
> the indifference of every way life.
>
> Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

> http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

They never even saw action. Reminds me of Patton's dictum that "Fixed
fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Paul Heslop

Feb 23, 2009, 4:53:49 PM2/23/09

The UK has lots of the things but then we are a small island or two.
Some have been around quite some time and have seen action, but mainly
in the anti aircraft manner. We have quite a few things nearby because
we are at the mouth of an industrial river, the Tyne, and the germans
liked to drop the odd bomb over here. You could also certainly see
tank traps near beaches etc til quite recently. I don't think they
ever saw action as there was no landing on the mainland.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Paul Furman

Feb 23, 2009, 5:29:39 PM2/23/09
Paul Heslop wrote:
> C J Campbell wrote:
>> On 2009-02-23 07:41:56 -0800, Silverdolphin <ian...@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
>>> Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
>>> presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
>>> the indifference of every way life.
>>>
>>> Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

>>> http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm
>> They never even saw action. Reminds me of Patton's dictum that "Fixed
>> fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."
>
> The UK has lots of the things but then we are a small island or two.
> Some have been around quite some time and have seen action, but mainly
> in the anti aircraft manner. We have quite a few things nearby because
> we are at the mouth of an industrial river, the Tyne, and the germans
> liked to drop the odd bomb over here. You could also certainly see
> tank traps near beaches etc til quite recently. I don't think they
> ever saw action as there was no landing on the mainland.

Here's one overlooking the Golden Gate:
http://edgehill.net/California/Bay-Area/Marin/2-16-08-pt-diablo/full-set/pg4pc22
There are abandoned Nike missle sites all along the coastal ridgetops...

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

John McWilliams

Feb 23, 2009, 6:16:14 PM2/23/09

And a whole range of fortifications that, thanks to Bill, were never
used in earnest.

Ft. Point, overshadowed by the GG bridge, is a brick fort that was
obsoleted right when it was completed. New batteries could pulverize
brick buildings, even one ten feet thick.

--
John McWilliams

Paul Heslop

Feb 23, 2009, 6:22:05 PM2/23/09
any idea what the small spikes on the roof were for? maybe to hold
metal cladding?

tony cooper

Feb 23, 2009, 6:41:05 PM2/23/09

To keep some sort of camouflaging brush or sod in place?

Paul Furman

Feb 23, 2009, 7:26:59 PM2/23/09
tony cooper wrote:

> Heslop wrote:
>> Paul Furman wrote:

>>> Here's one overlooking the Golden Gate:
>>> http://edgehill.net/California/Bay-Area/Marin/2-16-08-pt-diablo/full-set/pg4pc22
>>> There are abandoned Nike missle sites all along the coastal ridgetops...
>>>
>> any idea what the small spikes on the roof were for? maybe to hold
>> metal cladding?
>
> To keep some sort of camouflaging brush or sod in place?

Sod roof is my guess too.

Silverdolphin

Feb 24, 2009, 1:36:59 AM2/24/09
On 23 Feb, 18:48, C J Campbell

<christophercampbellremovet...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> They never even saw action. Reminds me of Patton's dictum that "Fixed
> fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."

many of them saw actions, above all those who are situated south of
Rome on the way from Anzio to Rome.
Those who were built on the coast rarely saw action, maybe only in
Sicily and around Salerno.

Silverdolphin

Feb 24, 2009, 1:45:18 AM2/24/09
On 23 Feb, 16:48, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nice; thanks. I'd like to see the images at least 50% larger.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Thank you for visit. Probably when I'll change my site layout I'll
post larger pics, sometimes I found my pics used in other pages for
this reason I post small images.

PeteD

Feb 24, 2009, 1:47:09 AM2/24/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Perhaps you need new glasses, for what they were showing they seemed
perfectly fine to me.

tony cooper

Feb 24, 2009, 2:18:42 AM2/24/09

Go to the one with "BUS" painted on the road. Can you make out any
detail of the bunker? The third image with the graffiti? The first
image? The second?

He's got some nice stuff here. In the 9th image, if the text didn't
tell you that the images contain bunkers, would you know? I know the
images aren't supposed to be an illustration of how to design a
bunker, but you ought to be able to at least determine what the
subject of the shot looks like. At about 2X, the images would be
good.

Paul Heslop

Feb 24, 2009, 4:43:43 AM2/24/09
tony cooper wrote:

> >any idea what the small spikes on the roof were for? maybe to hold
> >metal cladding?
>
> To keep some sort of camouflaging brush or sod in place?
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

aye, quite likely now you mention it.

George Kerby

Feb 24, 2009, 9:48:59 AM2/24/09

On 2/23/09 5:41 PM, in article evc6q4lo4j6unt33k...@4ax.com,
"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Well, yeah: Look at the far side. It still has sod on top.

Pete D

Feb 24, 2009, 2:14:11 PM2/24/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I guess you are looking for something different from me, I was not looking
for absolute detail but an overall feel, I thought he did that well.

Cheers.

Pete

tony cooper

Feb 24, 2009, 3:41:58 PM2/24/09

We are closer than you think. Because I do like the subject matter
and the images, I think they deserve more detail to be visible. And,
I think larger images would stand up.

Paul Heslop

Feb 24, 2009, 5:25:16 PM2/24/09
George Kerby wrote:

> >> any idea what the small spikes on the roof were for? maybe to hold
> >> metal cladding?
> >
> > To keep some sort of camouflaging brush or sod in place?
> >
> Well, yeah: Look at the far side. It still has sod on top.

huh, gives you an idea of my alertness doesn't it

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 24, 2009, 7:43:27 PM2/24/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember Silverdolphin <ian...@gmail.com>
saying something like:

>Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built to encumber
>Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their careless
>presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors of war in
>the indifference of every way life.
>
>Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

>http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

Fascinating. Were they all in the one area or did you pick from a wider
selection up and down the length of Italy?

I recall similar pillboxes (and concrete tank barriers) on the beaches
of Britain in the 1960s and 70s, but most of them have been cleared away
now.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 24, 2009, 7:46:45 PM2/24/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember C J Campbell
<christophercam...@hotmail.com> saying something like:

>> http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm
>
>They never even saw action.

Number 8, "Signs of the battle" has a bloody great shell hole in it.

Silverdolphin

Feb 25, 2009, 1:14:20 AM2/25/09
On 25 Feb, 01:43, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:

> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember Silverdolphin <ian...@gmail.com>
> saying something like:
> Fascinating. Were they all in the one area or did you pick from a wider
> selection up and down the length of Italy?
>
> I recall similar pillboxes (and concrete tank barriers) on the beaches
> of Britain in the 1960s and 70s, but most of them have been cleared away
> now.

Hi, thank you for visit.
They are all around Rome, but my idea is to take some photos for all
the lenght of country.
They are disappearing, many destroyed by "us" to build streets, house
etc etc, others on the beach destroyed by the sea.

Chris Malcolm

Feb 25, 2009, 1:44:14 PM2/25/09

Here's a tidal beach near Edinburgh with the remains of some
anti-submarine defences and a gun turret. There's a great deal of this
stuff around the Firth (estuary) of the river Forth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_malcolm/2821498362/

--
Chris Malcolm

C J Campbell

Feb 26, 2009, 12:06:08 PM2/26/09

I remember those missile sites when they were active! There are
enormous fortifications all around Puget Sound, too. They were obsolete
almost as soon as they were built. Many of the batteries were
dismantled during WW II because they were so vulnerable to aerial
bombardment. The materials and men were needed elsewhere.

The Maginot line and the fortifications around Liege in Belgium held
out for less than two weeks. The Siegfried line held out longer, but
only because it was basically ignored. It did consume some 29,000
Allied lives and an unknown number of German lives in fruitless and
half-hearted assaults on the line, but in the end the Allies simply
walked through it.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 26, 2009, 8:14:14 PM2/26/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Malcolm
<c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> saying something like:

>Here's a tidal beach near Edinburgh with the remains of some
>anti-submarine defences and a gun turret. There's a great deal of this
>stuff around the Firth (estuary) of the river Forth.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_malcolm/2821498362/

I expect the Germans knew the defences were seriously good around there,
else they'd have had a good go at getting up the firth and sinking
something. The teeth were more likely S-boat defences, not subs.

Chris Malcolm

Feb 27, 2009, 5:01:53 AM2/27/09

It was clearly meant to stop more than surface craft. In between the
teeth at high tide water level right down to the ground there was a
wall of reinforced concrete slats. Most of those have now rotted
away. It stopped any craft from getting past, surface and
submerged. It looks as though there may have been a movable gate
section in the middle to let small craft through.

--
Chris Malcolm

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 1, 2009, 2:52:07 AM3/1/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Malcolm
<c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> saying something like:

>> I expect the Germans knew the defences were seriously good around there,
>> else they'd have had a good go at getting up the firth and sinking
>> something. The teeth were more likely S-boat defences, not subs.
>
>It was clearly meant to stop more than surface craft. In between the
>teeth at high tide water level right down to the ground there was a
>wall of reinforced concrete slats. Most of those have now rotted
>away. It stopped any craft from getting past, surface and
>submerged. It looks as though there may have been a movable gate
>section in the middle to let small craft through.

True enough. I wasn't thinking of mini-subs, which the Germans weren't
very good at and didn't even make until very late on, but of course the
British authorities didn't know that at the time.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 2, 2009, 5:12:10 PM3/2/09
Photos are a bit too dark. Open aperture.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Silverdolphin" <ian...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bunkers at present day, those defensive pillbox were built
to encumber
Allied forces advancing in Italy during World War 2. Their
careless
presence is an attestation which reminds us of the horrors
of war in
the indifference of every way life.

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

http://www.giuliobrantl.com/concrete.htm

John McWilliams

Mar 2, 2009, 6:40:55 PM3/2/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Photos are a bit too dark. Open aperture.

Photos are fine.

Bottom post.

--
lsmft

George Kerby

Mar 3, 2009, 10:20:13 AM3/3/09

On 3/2/09 4:12 PM, in article gohll9$qai$1...@news.motzarella.org, "Stormin
Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Photos are a bit too dark. Open aperture.

I would surmise that was part of the theme...