Items in basic D90 bundle?

mianileng

Feb 5, 2009, 2:35:41 AM2/5/09
The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included, I
cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
download the manual or browse around for information.

The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data
cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.

Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
missing.

D-Mac

Feb 5, 2009, 2:52:22 AM2/5/09
mianileng wrote:

Funny isn't it?
I just bought some D90's this very afternoon for a big event shoot
later this month so I can tell you exactly what is in the box(es).

http://www.d-mac.info/fun-pix/d-90.htm

The camera body,
Software CD,
Manual,
Body cap,
Neck strap,
Battery,
Charger,
Quick pocket guide.
A manual thick enough to choke a horse.
The warranty information.
Capture NX2 trial version
USB cable
VIdeo cables (for TV output)

Some US mail order houses buy kits from Nikon and strip out the
contents to sell seperately. Dirty business but profitiable for them.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

nospam

Feb 5, 2009, 2:55:08 AM2/5/09
In article <gme4sl$s84$1...@news.motzarella.org>, mianileng
<mian...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

<http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25446/D90.h
tml>

Supplied Accessories

EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-18a Quick Charger, DK-5
Eyepiece Cap, DK-21 Rubber Eyecup, UC-E4 USB Cable, EG-D2 Audio Video
Cable, AN-DC1 Camera Strap, BM-10 LCD Monitor Cover, Body Cap, BS-1
Accessory Shoe Cover, Software Suite CD-ROM Supplied accessories may
differ depending on country or area

Atheist Chaplain

Feb 5, 2009, 4:00:23 AM2/5/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

how about a photo of ALL the boxes Douggie, side by side on your kitchen
floor, that should take you hours to Photoshop, and while your doing that,
your not lying through your teeth on Usenet :-)
so Douggie, when will you be registering your ABN to collect GST ??

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Jürgen Exner

Feb 5, 2009, 4:36:09 AM2/5/09

Sounds like you have been had by the Brooklyn scum bags. See e.g.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo. Do any of those
stories in the customer feedback section sound familiar to you? Those
people operate under a new name every month, so don't be surprised if
the name doesn't match.

jue

PDM

Feb 4, 2009, 7:18:01 AM2/4/09
One reason for missing items is that is has previously been sold and then
returned, the original owner not putting everything back in the box. Had
this happen to me last year. It is very rare for Nikon, Canon et al not to
have included all the right accessories.

PDM

"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Caesar Romano

Feb 5, 2009, 8:16:03 AM2/5/09
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:05:41 +0530, "mianileng"
<mian...@invalid.invalid> wrote Re Items in basic D90 bundle?:

>The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
>items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included, I
>cannot be sure what should be included.

What dealer did you buy from?

mianileng

Feb 5, 2009, 10:01:26 AM2/5/09

Thanks for the replies, everyone. What I didn't mention in my
initial post was that I asked the dealer to substitute an
18-200mm Nikkor for the 18-105mm kit lens and for some reason,
they're sending the lens in a separate package which has not
arrived yet.

Armed with the info you provided, I called the dealer and they
assured me that all the items missing from the camera box are
coming with the lens.

Rather surprising that they separated those standard accessories,
even the manual, from the camera body. ATM I'm giving them the
benefit of the doubt and assuming that they opened the box to
take out the 18-105mm kit lens and forgot to put the other items
back.

The dealer is J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India and they have
established themselves for several years as both conventional and
online shops. Their website is http://www.jjmehta.com and they
have a fairly active photography forum.

Caesar Romano

Feb 5, 2009, 10:37:19 AM2/5/09
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:31:26 +0530, "mianileng"
<mian...@invalid.invalid> wrote Re Re: Items in basic D90 bundle?:

Please let us know how this turns out. You might also consider adding
a rating review for jjmehta.com at http://www.resellerratings.com/
You would have to add them as a new merchant as they are not currently
listed.

mianileng

Feb 5, 2009, 11:40:22 AM2/5/09

I'll do that. Thanks again for your interest.

bmoag

Feb 5, 2009, 12:06:36 PM2/5/09
Are you sure J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India isn't really based in
Brooklyn?

mianileng

Feb 5, 2009, 12:40:37 PM2/5/09

I'm not sure if that wasn't a sarcastic rhetorical question. But
here's my answer:
I have not actually visited their shop but I'm familiar with the
area they pinpointed as their location in Mumbai. The people I
spoke to on several occasions have unmistakable Indian accents.
Members of their forum occasionally mention the shop - usually
neither glowing praise nor criticism, just matter-of-fact
mentions. The D90 I received today bore a Mumbai postmark and
transit time was about the same as with any other product I
ordered from Mumbai before.

Neil Harrington

Feb 6, 2009, 2:09:41 PM2/6/09
mianileng wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, everyone. What I didn't mention in my
> initial post was that I asked the dealer to substitute an
> 18-200mm Nikkor for the 18-105mm kit lens and for some reason,
> they're sending the lens in a separate package which has not
> arrived yet.
>
> Armed with the info you provided, I called the dealer and they
> assured me that all the items missing from the camera box are
> coming with the lens.
>
> Rather surprising that they separated those standard accessories,
> even the manual, from the camera body. ATM I'm giving them the
> benefit of the doubt and assuming that they opened the box to
> take out the 18-105mm kit lens and forgot to put the other items
> back.

I don't have the D90, but other Nikons I've bought with the kit lens have
typically come in one large box containing two or three smaller boxes, one
for the camera body and everything that goes with it, the other(s) for the
lens and lens hood.

There would have been no need for them to take anything out of the box
containing the camera body, manuals, strap, cables, software etc. just to
swap out the lens, since the lens never comes in that box.

eNo

Feb 7, 2009, 11:24:37 AM2/7/09

This smells like trouble. See about returning this ASAP and getting
the real deal.

http://esuastegui.esmartweb.com/D80

eNo

Feb 7, 2009, 11:26:16 AM2/7/09
> online shops. Their website ishttp://www.jjmehta.comand they

> have a fairly active photography forum.

As soon as you can take a shot, take a JPG and examine its EXIF
information with Opanda. If the shutter count is any higher than 10
clicks, I'd demand a return and refund.

mianileng

Feb 7, 2009, 2:19:51 PM2/7/09
eNo wrote:
> On Feb 5, 7:01 am, "mianileng" <mianil...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>> mianileng wrote:
>>> The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but
>>> some
>>> items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is
>>> included,
>>> cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
>>> again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
>>> download the manual or browse around for information.
>>
>>> The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
>>> power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual,
>>> data
>>> cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.

> As soon as you can take a shot, take a JPG and examine its EXIF
> information with Opanda. If the shutter count is any higher
> than 10
> clicks, I'd demand a return and refund.

I already checked the shutter count using a borrowed lens and it
read 0.