Why does Adobe not police Ebay?

1 view

SallyWasHere

Mar 24, 2009, 6:30:02 PM3/24/09

Photoshop CS4, buy-it-now for less than $200?

Close-ups of UPC and part numbers that don't match each other and don't
match the item description?

Why does this go on in a public place? Are ANY of the sales legit?

A while back you couldn't even sell a scanner with open 800Mhz -- even one
bought before the ban -- and now this?

I know people complain that Ebay doesn't care, but why isn't Adobe
involved?

Rich

Mar 25, 2009, 3:08:30 AM3/25/09
SallyWasHere <sall...@verizon.net> wrote in

I'd rather they police Ebay for shill bids from the big sellers they make
so much money off, but that isn't going to happen. About 2 years ago, I
noticed the same buyers putting in bids for multiple items from one
seller over the course of a few days. I reported it to Ebay, who offered
up lots of specious excuses as to what it could be. This was before Ebay
instituted all the "security measures" now in-place to hide auction and
buyer informtion. So at the time, I went back a few weeks and checked,
sure enough, same group of buyers. And none of them ever won an auction.
A couple days after I inquired to Ebay about this, they all mysteriously
disappeared.

tmo...@wildblue.net

Mar 25, 2009, 8:27:30 AM3/25/09

The upgrade for Photoshop CS4 is $199 so that could be the reason.
Also Adobe makes some OEM Photoshop version, where they are sold other
than EBay I don't have a clue, but they are released at a substantial
discount. Maybe other reasons than theft. I bought a CS2 OEM version a
couple of years ago off Ebay as I had a Win2000 machine that I needed
PS on, activation went without a hitch, though I was biting my nails
when I made the phone call to Adobe.

Tom

Dave Cohen

Mar 25, 2009, 3:52:49 PM3/25/09

First, I wonder why Sally would think any of us would know why Adobe
don't get bent out of shape of possibly questionable dealings on Ebay.
Second, I got a version of Elements 6 OEM from Price Grabber. It
installs fine using the registration code supplied. However, I needed to
make a help call and Adobe claimed they couldn't find the key in their
system.
Dave Cohen

ray

Mar 25, 2009, 3:38:48 PM3/25/09

My guess - it's not cost effective.

SamSez

Mar 25, 2009, 8:58:25 PM3/25/09

> First, I wonder why Sally would think any of us would know why Adobe
> don't get bent out of shape of possibly questionable dealings on Ebay.
> Second, I got a version of Elements 6 OEM from Price Grabber. It
> installs fine using the registration code supplied. However, I needed
> to make a help call and Adobe claimed they couldn't find the key in
> their system.
> Dave Cohen

Well Dave, given that the software itself is a free 30 day download from
Adobe, that means you paid real money for the same bogus license number
crack you could have gotten for free on multiple web sites.

Charlie Choc

Mar 26, 2009, 8:55:57 AM3/26/09
OEM versions are typically legal only on the machine they came with. Best to
read the specific license agreement; it may not be illegal to buy and sell it,
but it may be illegal to use it on a different machine.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 26, 2009, 5:28:54 PM3/26/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember SallyWasHere <sall...@verizon.net>
saying something like:

This has been done before.
As was suggested, I think there's a real possibility that Adobe are
fully aware of all the hacked and cracked versions around and that those
same versions are in use by people who wouldn't have ever been legit
customers anyway, not at that price. The huge advantage for Adobe is
that it creates a user base of Adobe-familiar freeloaders, some of whom
will move into areas where Adobe will need to be paid for. Business
software auditing is having a real effect these days and while there are
some small companies running illegal software still, the vast majority
of them actually pay for it, so Adobe will benefit in the medium to
longer term.
In a way, it's a giant viral marketing scheme - the loss to Adobe is
minimal, but the goodwill and future sales generated is substantial, and
that's something you can't buy.