Video will help kill DSLR mirrors

Rich

May 8, 2009, 7:25:06 AM5/8/09
Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will doom
the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years. I'm
not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
coming.

Rich

May 8, 2009, 7:34:07 AM5/8/09

Make that, the GH1, not G1H.

Mr. Strat

May 8, 2009, 9:13:09 AM5/8/09
In article <s-2dnc5k__sPi5nX...@giganews.com>, Rich
<no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

Do you have a clue about anything?

Or maybe your Navas in disguise just pontificating on things you know
nothing about.

George Kerby

May 8, 2009, 9:31:09 AM5/8/09

On 5/8/09 8:13 AM, in article 080520090613094113%r...@nospam.techline.com,
"Mr. Strat" <r...@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

Could be. But "Rich" hasn't said anything about Sailing or Cellphone FYI,
-yet.

Don Stauffer

May 8, 2009, 9:49:28 AM5/8/09

I'm not sure I undestand. What has video to do with overcoming the
problems with electronic view finders?

If we want to shoot video, we use one of our video cameras, specialized
for the task.

Is the video from the viewfinder somehow easing the focus problem?

Alfred Molon

May 8, 2009, 1:27:45 PM5/8/09
In article <4a043866$0$89396$815e...@news.qwest.net>, Don Stauffer
says...

> Rich wrote:
> > Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
> > 5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will doom
> > the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years. I'm
> > not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
> > coming.
>
> I'm not sure I undestand. What has video to do with overcoming the
> problems with electronic view finders?

Where is he talking about electronic viewfinders?

> If we want to shoot video, we use one of our video cameras, specialized
> for the task.
>
> Is the video from the viewfinder somehow easing the focus problem?

Which focus problem are you referring to?
--

Alfred Molon

Pete D

May 8, 2009, 5:01:08 PM5/8/09

"Alfred Molon" <alfred...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In article <4a043866$0$89396$815e...@news.qwest.net>, Don Stauffer
> says...
>> Rich wrote:
>> > Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
>> > 5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will
>> > doom
>> > the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years.
>> > I'm
>> > not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
>> > coming.
>>
>> I'm not sure I undestand. What has video to do with overcoming the
>> problems with electronic view finders?
>
> Where is he talking about electronic viewfinders?

Ummmm, if no mirror you have to use some othet method methinks....

Charles

May 8, 2009, 6:45:06 PM5/8/09

"Rich" <no...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

But, Dear Rich, you miss the point. Many DSLR consumers could care less
about video.

That mirror and the pentaprism will outlive your posts here.

Paul Furman

May 9, 2009, 1:53:52 AM5/9/09
Tangent:
How do film movie camera viewfinders work?

Pete D

May 9, 2009, 4:10:29 AM5/9/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

> Tangent:
> How do film movie camera viewfinders work?

LCD screen mostly but generally low res is fine for what they need to do.

dj_nme

May 9, 2009, 8:44:43 AM5/9/09

No, film cine cameras use a variety of optical viewfinder types.
Some use a separate viewfinder, some use a type of reflex finder with a
half-silvered mirror and others use a reflex finder with a mirror which
spins through the optical path to the film, forming part of or attached
to the shutter.

Video cameras use a low-res video screen (either a flip-out LCD screen
or an EVF of some sort) which has a live feed off the sensor.

Don Stauffer

May 9, 2009, 9:43:51 AM5/9/09
Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <4a043866$0$89396$815e...@news.qwest.net>, Don Stauffer
> says...
>> Rich wrote:
>>> Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
>>> 5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will doom
>>> the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years. I'm
>>> not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
>>> coming.
>> I'm not sure I undestand. What has video to do with overcoming the
>> problems with electronic view finders?
>
> Where is he talking about electronic viewfinders?
>
>> If we want to shoot video, we use one of our video cameras, specialized
>> for the task.
>>
>> Is the video from the viewfinder somehow easing the focus problem?
>
> Which focus problem are you referring to?

If you are doing manual focus, I have yet to see an EV that has enough
resolution for seeing the focus with adequate resolution. I do a lot of
macro work, where I want to place the plane of best focus somewhere
between edges (front to back), and AF doesn't do this very well.

Don Stauffer

May 9, 2009, 9:45:22 AM5/9/09
Paul Furman wrote:
> Tangent:
> How do film movie camera viewfinders work?
Remember, standard resolution video is less than a megapixel. Not hard
to focus with that low a res. Even HD is less than 2 Mp.

J. Clarke

May 9, 2009, 10:27:37 AM5/9/09

Well that's nice but the question was about FILM.

George Kerby

May 9, 2009, 11:42:10 AM5/9/09

On 5/9/09 3:10 AM, in article
4a053a8a$0$12562$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au, "Pete D"
<n...@email.com> wrote:

BZZZZAT! Wrong answer. Next?

George Kerby

May 9, 2009, 11:42:41 AM5/9/09

On 5/9/09 7:44 AM, in article
4a057ac0$0$12570$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au, "dj_nme"
<dj_...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

BINGO! Give the man a teddy bear!

George Kerby

May 9, 2009, 11:43:47 AM5/9/09

On 5/9/09 9:27 AM, in article gu442...@news6.newsguy.com, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke...@cox.net> wrote:

And another prize for this gentleman, as well...

Ray Fischer

May 9, 2009, 1:43:44 PM5/9/09
Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>Tangent:
>How do film movie camera viewfinders work?

For accurate focus a tape measure often works best.

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

Alfred Molon

May 9, 2009, 2:39:21 PM5/9/09
In article <4a058896$0$89388$815e...@news.qwest.net>, Don Stauffer
says...

> If you are doing manual focus, I have yet to see an EV that has enough
> resolution for seeing the focus with adequate resolution. I do a lot of
> macro work, where I want to place the plane of best focus somewhere
> between edges (front to back), and AF doesn't do this very well.

Well, manual focus through my A350 is unusable. It may be a DSLR with an
optical viewfinder, but the manual focus is by far too inaccurate. If I
try to manually focus I get blurred pictures.

Not Given

May 9, 2009, 2:58:53 PM5/9/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Tangent:
> How do film movie camera viewfinders work?

Some had a reflex and prism viewfinder, others used a fixed prism
"beamsplitter" viewfinder. Current ones have an electronic viewer.

Pete D

May 10, 2009, 12:18:22 AM5/10/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>'

Yeah, my bad, he said "film", in which case it is often a separate view just
like the P&S film cameras.

Don Stauffer

May 10, 2009, 8:43:20 AM5/10/09
Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <4a058896$0$89388$815e...@news.qwest.net>, Don Stauffer
> says...
>
>> If you are doing manual focus, I have yet to see an EV that has enough
>> resolution for seeing the focus with adequate resolution. I do a lot of
>> macro work, where I want to place the plane of best focus somewhere
>> between edges (front to back), and AF doesn't do this very well.
>
> Well, manual focus through my A350 is unusable. It may be a DSLR with an
> optical viewfinder, but the manual focus is by far too inaccurate. If I
> try to manually focus I get blurred pictures.

I find my D40X to be right on for focus. You need to find a shop with a
good collimator and get that checked.

Don Stauffer

May 10, 2009, 8:45:57 AM5/10/09

He didn't say which format, but my SD video far surpasses my old 8mm
movies. So 2Mp would be considerably above 8mm, even Super8.

Also, old 8mm format was so small, the standard lenses were very short
FL, so depth of field was very generous.

J. Clarke

May 10, 2009, 10:27:34 AM5/10/09

So how does your SD video compare to 70mm IMAX?

Rich

May 11, 2009, 2:44:03 PM5/11/09
On May 8, 9:49 am, Don Stauffer <stauf...@usfamily.net> wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
> > 5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will doom
> > the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years.  I'm
> > not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
> > coming.
>
> I'm not sure I undestand.  What has video to do with overcoming the
> problems with electronic view finders?

What major problems do they have now?

Rich

May 11, 2009, 2:45:07 PM5/11/09
On May 8, 6:45 pm, "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Rich" <n...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > Based on the video results from the Panasonic G1H compared to the D90,
> > 5DII, etc., it is clear that video applications and cost savings will doom
> > the reflex mirror from all but a niche of DSLRs within a few years.  I'm
> > not sure we're at a point where that would be a good idea, but it is
> > coming.
>
> But, Dear Rich, you miss the point.  Many DSLR consumers could care less
> about video.

True, but that won't influence the manufacturers if they can produce a
camera for $20 cheaper by deleting the mirror mechanism.

Alfred Molon

May 11, 2009, 6:20:11 PM5/11/09
In article <gu2clo$sk7$1...@news.motzarella.org>, Charles says...

> Many DSLR consumers could care less
> about video.

I ordered an Olympus E420 for my wife because it's the most compact &
light DSLR currently on the market and she needs fast AF to photograph
the kids. But she also does video occasionally with her current P&S so
it's a pity Olympus hasn't incorporated this function into the E420.