Boycott Panasonic cameras - forced proprietary battery use in firmware

Alan Browne

Jun 20, 2009, 4:34:57 PM6/20/09
Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware

Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp

What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 20, 2009, 4:48:04 PM6/20/09
"Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message

> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>
> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify genuine
> Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party battery
> packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety of its
> users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal heating
> or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>
> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Before screaming "boycott" like some 1970's shop steward you might like to
consider that fake batteries could be a problem.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Alan Browne

Jun 20, 2009, 5:07:47 PM6/20/09

As I use 3rd party batteries (at 1/3 the Sony price) and have had no
issues, why not? Most of these 3rd party batteries, esp. Li-ion, have
the protection circuit built in and this is stated on their product
sheets. And that is what I checked (via the re-seller) when I bought them.

All this is is a ploy to force OEM battery purchases.

daveFaktor

Jun 20, 2009, 5:41:05 PM6/20/09
Alan Browne wrote:
> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>
> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>
> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

So what's new? Fuji have been doing that - a little differently for
years with the s5 Pro. That doesn't stop me using cheap Chinese
batteries in it. I just have to reset a chip. No different than using
knock-off inks in your Epson printer.

Get a life Alan. Panasonic have as much right to make their cameras out
of whatever they feel like as the company you worked for does to use
proprietor gear in their radar - you can only get from them. Or is it
different when it affects you personally?

--
You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing!

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 20, 2009, 5:46:04 PM6/20/09

> On 20-06-09 16:48, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:
>> "Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message
>>> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>>>
>>> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
>>> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
>>> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
>>> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
>>> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
>>> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>>>
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>>>
>>> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).
>>
>> Before screaming "boycott" like some 1970's shop steward you might like
>> to consider that fake batteries could be a problem.
>
> As I use 3rd party batteries (at 1/3 the Sony price) and have had no
> issues, why not? Most of these 3rd party batteries, esp. Li-ion, have the
> protection circuit built in and this is stated on their product sheets.
> And that is what I checked (via the re-seller) when I bought them.
>
> All this is is a ploy to force OEM battery purchases.

Sure, I accept there can be a forced OEM purchase angle as well as it being
a way to head off iffy third-party sweatshop parts. Those are the extremes
of control and greed, and you get it in the pharmaceutical, IT, and print
industries. It's dumb but there you go.

Personally, I'd favour third-party parts going through an independent and
none discriminatory quality assurance process. Chips could help verify parts
meet acceptable criterion and help push fake and potentially damaging parts
off the board. Everyone's a winner.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 20, 2009, 5:57:27 PM6/20/09
"daveFaktor" <davef...@this.group> wrote in message

Yeah, I wanted to make babies with this 10 tentacled alien that dropped down
in my back garden last night but the DNA lock in was a bitch.

Actually, one thing that does irritate me is the way manufacturers dick with
stuff so an upgrade becomes a downgrade. Canon stripped all the manual
features from their Ax000 range forcing new customers to buy S series
cameras at twice the price. Bit naughty, that.

It's going off topic but I plan on keeping my A590 IS forever even when I do
jump for a mid-range or dSLR sometime.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Alan Browne

Jun 20, 2009, 6:43:49 PM6/20/09

Which would drive up the price. There is no reason to be suspicious of
suppliers who put up all their data and who have a good rep.

I found a deal, looked up the supplier, spec, phoned the distributor and
checked out the batts before buying.

ray

Jun 20, 2009, 7:01:05 PM6/20/09
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:34:57 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>
> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>
> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

I doubt Sony would worry themselves over such an issue - after all many
of their cameras already require proprietary memory cards!

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 20, 2009, 7:05:31 PM6/20/09

> On 20-06-09 17:46, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:

>> Personally, I'd favour third-party parts going through an independent and
>> none discriminatory quality assurance process. Chips could help verify
>> parts meet acceptable criterion and help push fake and potentially
>> damaging parts off the board. Everyone's a winner.
>
> Which would drive up the price. There is no reason to be suspicious of
> suppliers who put up all their data and who have a good rep.
>
> I found a deal, looked up the supplier, spec, phoned the distributor and
> checked out the batts before buying.

That's possible but fakes aren't cost free in terms of policing, employment
conditions, preserving trade marks, and consumer safety. Fake car brake pads
used to be a favourite. Now, I hear, memory on EBay is another.

There's a big ding-dong over banking regulation in the UK. The generic
arguments are similar. Loose regulation can work but it falls down when
banks are run by shysters. Then, you have the knee-jerk problem of too much
regulation which falls down when *sigh* banks are run by shysters.

Quality and trust are important so, yes, I agree that credible specs and a
good reputation are important. After last weeks fiasco, I'd like to see a
bit more of that in the hardware calibration industry. Reviews seem based
more on the colour of the box and what everyone else is doing rather than
giving hard meaningful numbers for calibrator and software accuracy.

This is tipping in to Zen (which I'm never more than half a step away from
talking about) but I find the aims and values of Peter F Drucker and David
Ogilvy on management and advertising, respectively, to be better than the
bullshit and balls path many have gone down over the past few years.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Robert Coe

Jun 20, 2009, 8:48:22 PM6/20/09

:
: Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
: including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
: genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
: battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
: of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
: heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
:
: What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Surely you jest. Sony is the company that once sneaked operating system
changes into users' computers to prevent them from "stealing" content from
Sony CDs.

A few years ago laptop batteries sold by Dell and several other manufacturers
started exploding and starting fires. Some of the manufacturers had to issue
recalls. Who actually made the offending batteries for those manufacturers?
Sony.

I think it's fair to say that if there's a way to make an extra buck, it has
already occurred to Sony.

Bob

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 20, 2009, 9:03:52 PM6/20/09
"Robert Coe" <b...@1776.COM> wrote in message

> Surely you jest. Sony is the company that once sneaked operating system
> changes into users' computers to prevent them from "stealing" content from
> Sony CDs.
>
> A few years ago laptop batteries sold by Dell and several other
> manufacturers started exploding and starting fires. Some of the
> manufacturers had to issue recalls. Who actually made the offending
> batteries for those manufacturers? Sony.
>
> I think it's fair to say that if there's a way to make an extra buck, it
> has already occurred to Sony.

You mean a US division of Sony used a faulty third party tool, and they
recalled the broken batteries without issue? The last time I checked Sony
were suing that third party, and scammers aren't known for making good on
warranties. Ragging on Sony for that is as dumb as if I carried a grudge
against Americans for George Bush.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

D Peter Maus

Jun 20, 2009, 9:41:19 PM6/20/09
On 6/20/09 17:43 , Alan Browne wrote:

>>> All this is is a ploy to force OEM battery purchases.
>>
>> Sure, I accept there can be a forced OEM purchase angle as well as it
>> being
>> a way to head off iffy third-party sweatshop parts. Those are the
>> extremes
>> of control and greed, and you get it in the pharmaceutical, IT, and print
>> industries. It's dumb but there you go.

There may be other motives. One: Product liability. Third party
batteries may or may not be safe alternatives to OEM. Product liability
actions, whether or not justified, whether or not won, are expensive.
And in numbers, VERY expensive.

Forcing OEM batteries may limit potential product liablity actions by
limiting product to OEM spec batteries. If there is an issue with an OEM
battery, a free replacement may be offered, as Delphi did with some
portable XM receiver batteries, before cataclysmic results. In the event
of a failure resulting in damage or injury, such good faith efforts can
limit judgements.

If there is a third party battery incident, users holding Panasonic
liable can tie up the Legal department for years, resulting in hundreds
of thousands, if not millions, of dollars in costs and settlements, even
if it can be demonstrated that the third party battery manufacturer, not
Panasonic, is liable.

Anybody can sue for anything. Even a baseless suit requires a legal
response. That costs.

Forcing OEM battery use can limit, though not eliminate, product
liability costs.

That there is a second profit motive, spurring OEM sales, doesn't hurt.

Nakamichi, on it's portable cassette machine, a high drain device,
specifically recommended against SOME types of batteries on performance
grounds. Some batteries produced irregular variations in output voltage
under high drain, though constant conditions, compromising performance
of the device. Some batteries had too high an internal resistance, also
compromising performance of the device. Nakamichi approved batteries,
including, but not especially, Nakamichi branded batteries, produced
specific performance, with user perceivable differences in device
performance. Prompting complaints.

Complaints, like legal actions, require response. Response costs.

Nakamichi was quite specific that it would not honor, or even hear
complaints about the device if non approved batteries were used.

So it can be with Li-ion batteries in digital cameras, which are high
drain devices: there may be device performance effects with less well
manufactured batteries. This can produce performance issues that would
increased manufacturer warranty costs.

While corporate entities have certainly demonstrated, in recent
years, a history of being bad citizens, forcing OEM component use does
not, perforce, imply untoward motives.

Chris Pisarra

Jun 21, 2009, 12:26:05 AM6/21/09

"Charles E Hardwidge" <bo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

So? I carry a grudge against Americans for George Bush, and I
**am** American.

Chris

Kevin McMurtrie

Jun 21, 2009, 12:39:27 AM6/21/09
In article <epednUbel9xv2qDX...@giganews.com>,
Alan Browne <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>
> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>
> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Calling for a boycott is a bit strong. It's better to warn people and
let them them decide that Panasonic is full of crap on their own.

I just bought a Panasonic TV a few hours ago. This kind of BS would
make me cancel my order if I could.

Most companies are screwing customers in a way that's probably illegal.
PR departments will claim it's increased revenue to improve product
quality without charging a higher up-front fee. Those who have already
paid the up-front fee call it a scam.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.

Twibil

Jun 21, 2009, 2:16:58 AM6/21/09
On Jun 20, 1:48 pm, "Charles E Hardwidge" <bo...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> > What a BS ploy.  (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).
>
> Before screaming "boycott" like some 1970's shop steward you might like to
> consider that fake batteries could be a problem.

Before screaming "1970's shop steward" like a right wing fruitcake,
you might like to consider that fake batterys could carry any name at
all, including Panasonic.

You know: just like fake aircraft parts, fake pharmaseuticals, and all
the other pirated-name-brand products that are sold in the US every
day.

PDM

Jun 21, 2009, 5:05:56 AM6/21/09

"Kevin McMurtrie" <kevi...@sonic.net> wrote in message
Would never ever consider buying Panasonic again. Everything I ever bought
doesn't work properly as it should or broke soon after the guarantee ran
out: TVs, freeview boxes (11 and 2 set on fire) DVD recorders, cameras, et
al. High spec but poor component quality, and their batteries are probably
3rd party crap as well.

PDM

David J Taylor

Jun 21, 2009, 5:12:45 AM6/21/09
PDM wrote:
[]

> Would never ever consider buying Panasonic again. Everything I ever
> bought doesn't work properly as it should or broke soon after the
> guarantee ran out: TVs, freeview boxes (11 and 2 set on fire) DVD
> recorders, cameras, et al. High spec but poor component quality, and
> their batteries are probably 3rd party crap as well.
>
> PDM

Sorry to hear you've had problems. All the Panasonic items I have bought
have worked perfectly, including three very excellent digital cameras.
I've used both Panasonic original and 3rd party batteries, and had no
trouble with either.

Strongly recommended.

David

Educating the Dullards

Jun 21, 2009, 6:19:56 AM6/21/09

You mean the same way that all MacBook batteries were totally safe to use
because they came right from credible, dependable, and elite fortress of
Apple? Or are you trying to say that 3rd-party batteries offer no more risk
than those right from Panasonic because Panasonic could have a MacBook
event at any time with their own "genuine"ly exploding batteries?

Do you know how to think for yourself? Or do just love being some pitiful
corporate shill and ass-kissing kowtowing puppet of theirs? You can't have
it both ways you know.

Robert Coe

Jun 21, 2009, 8:53:31 AM6/21/09
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:26:05 -0700, "Chris Pisarra" <Ch...@Pisarra.com> wrote:
:
: "Charles E Hardwidge" <bo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Come to think of it, so do I. And I'm a Republican.

Bob

R. Mark Clayton

Jun 21, 2009, 11:27:20 AM6/21/09

"ray" <r...@zianet.com> wrote in message

Well you can get them second market, but they are more expensive than the
equivalent SD.

The reason I won't buy Sony was that they included mal-ware on their CD's
and after they were caught and promised never to do it again - they did it
again...

Alan Browne

Jun 21, 2009, 11:29:46 AM6/21/09

Not DSLR's to date, though the a900 takes both CF and MemStick.

And the consumers of the other cameras probably don't give a damn about
the memory card source. They get one and keep it with the camera for
its life.

Sony license the design to other co's, as well, such as SanDisk.

Alan Browne

Jun 21, 2009, 11:34:32 AM6/21/09
On 20-06-09 20:48, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:34:57 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> : Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
> :
> : Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> : including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
> : genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
> : battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
> : of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
> : heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
> :
> : http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
> :
> : What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).
>
> Surely you jest. Sony is the company that once sneaked operating system
> changes into users' computers to prevent them from "stealing" content from
> Sony CDs.

And it cost them dearly in reputation. They will be a lot more careful
in the future.

To date they are not forcing their batteries on people. That is the
point. And their DSLR's support CF cards. And support Minolta lenses.

> A few years ago laptop batteries sold by Dell and several other manufacturers
> started exploding and starting fires. Some of the manufacturers had to issue
> recalls. Who actually made the offending batteries for those manufacturers?
> Sony.

Which in an odd way proves my point. More suppliers are better than
fewer. As to the Sony batteries, as unfortunate as those failures were,
it was a near inevitable consequence of making Li-ion batteries -
learning curve.

> I think it's fair to say that if there's a way to make an extra buck, it has
> already occurred to Sony.

Not according to their financial results. They've had a rough time of
this current climate.

Alan Browne

Jun 21, 2009, 11:36:24 AM6/21/09
On 21-06-09 00:39, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article<epednUbel9xv2qDX...@giganews.com>,
> Alan Browne<alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>>
>> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
>> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
>> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
>> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
>> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
>> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>>
>> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).
>
> Calling for a boycott is a bit strong. It's better to warn people and
> let them them decide that Panasonic is full of crap on their own.
>
> I just bought a Panasonic TV a few hours ago. This kind of BS would
> make me cancel my order if I could.

I bought a Panasonic television (plasma) and blu ray player at the end
of 2007. Fine equipment - quite pleased.

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 21, 2009, 1:13:49 PM6/21/09

> Which in an odd way proves my point. More suppliers are better than
> fewer. As to the Sony batteries, as unfortunate as those failures were,
> it was a near inevitable consequence of making Li-ion batteries - learning
> curve.

There's usually a balance between authority and society, or brands and the
market. I note, Ray Bradbury is railing against the internet and he has a
point. The tiny bit I pay attention to isn't very good, and I get a similar
discomfort with the traditional darkroom versus the digital darkroom.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

PDM

Jun 21, 2009, 1:25:09 PM6/21/09

"David J Taylor"
<david-...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:hQm%l.45440$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com...

Strongly not recommended

PDM

SMS

Jun 21, 2009, 1:34:14 PM6/21/09
Alan Browne wrote:
> Panasonic issues 'battery safety' firmware
>
> Panasonic has released firmware updates for its latest digital cameras
> including the GH1, G1, ZS3 and TS1. The new firmware can identify
> genuine Panasonic batteries and _prevents the use of any third party
> battery packs_. The company says it has taken this move to ensure safety
> of its users against possible injuries because of overcharging, internal
> heating or short circuit in third-party batteries.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061701panaservicenotice.asp
>
> What a BS ploy. (And I hope this does not occur to Sony).

Okay, I'll boycott them. Again. Isn't the fact that they're noise boxes
already enough of a reason to avoid them at all costs?

Alan Browne

Jun 21, 2009, 1:34:20 PM6/21/09

You keep raising objections to your own progress with digital
photography. Take the Nike attitude.

Ray Bradbury is one of the brighter lights of fiction, esp. science
fiction coupled to social realities. I can see how he would see the
negatives in the internet. However, like all double edged swords, the
internet has its overwhelmingly positive side as it does its negative -
people need to focus on getting positive value from it.

A friend of mine, no wilting flower where it comes to technology,
marketing and media, has all but sworn off reading or listening to the
news. It has become to him a mind distracting repetitious blur that has
almost no bearing on his life.

Alan Browne

Jun 21, 2009, 1:44:46 PM6/21/09

Doesn't count if you're not in the market... ;-)

I don't know that they're noise boxes. From most of what I hear/read
Panasonic make very good digital cameras, both 4/3 and other. That's
not to say they could be as good as an APS-C or FF. Their best noise
performance is limited to a narrower ISO range, that's all.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 21, 2009, 1:29:04 PM6/21/09
Alan Browne <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> Most of these 3rd party batteries, esp. Li-ion, have
> the protection circuit built in and this is stated on their product
> sheets.

There are some 3rd party batteries that don't, by your own
admission.
(And I am not even talking about falsely labelled capacities and
incorrect claims on product sheets.)

In my part of the world, seatbelts are not considered optional
by the law (nor by almost all people), even if most, nay, almost
all car uses do not include accidents.

> And that is what I checked (via the re-seller) when I bought them.

And the part about accidents is proven by statistics, even the
government statistics bureau and the politicans freely says so.

> All this is is a ploy to force OEM battery purchases.

All this must be a ploy to force people to wear seatbelts without
any need, right?

Now I wait for statements along the lines "Here I present you
3 dozen old men who were heavy smokers all of their life. See,
smoking doesn't affect your health."

-Wolfgang

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 21, 2009, 2:13:30 PM6/21/09

> On 21-06-09 13:13, Charles E Hardwidge wrote:
>>
>> There's usually a balance between authority and society, or brands and
>> the market. I note, Ray Bradbury is railing against the internet and he
>> has a point. The tiny bit I pay attention to isn't very good, and I get a
>> similar discomfort with the traditional darkroom versus the digital
>> darkroom.
>
> You keep raising objections to your own progress with digital photography.
> Take the Nike attitude.
>
> Ray Bradbury is one of the brighter lights of fiction, esp. science
> fiction coupled to social realities. I can see how he would see the
> negatives in the internet. However, like all double edged swords, the
> internet has its overwhelmingly positive side as it does its negative -
> people need to focus on getting positive value from it.
>
> A friend of mine, no wilting flower where it comes to technology,
> marketing and media, has all but sworn off reading or listening to the
> news. It has become to him a mind distracting repetitious blur that has
> almost no bearing on his life.

I'm taking a balanced view, and that was really the point behind my comment
so there's no violent disagreement here.

I've stopped watching broadcast TV, don't read the media, and don't vote for
similar reasons.

I think, it's important to find yourself as much as finding the shot and, in
some ways, they can be the same thing.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Twibil

Jun 21, 2009, 2:27:30 PM6/21/09
On Jun 21, 5:53 am, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:

> : So?  I carry a grudge against Americans for George Bush, and I
> : **am** American.
>
> Come to think of it, so do I. And I'm a Republican.

Me too.

And not *just* for Bush, you betcha!

daveFaktor

Jun 21, 2009, 4:43:32 PM6/21/09
Charles E Hardwidge wrote:

> I'm taking a balanced view, and that was really the point behind my comment
> so there's no violent disagreement here.
>
> I've stopped watching broadcast TV, don't read the media, and don't vote
> for
> similar reasons.
>
> I think, it's important to find yourself as much as finding the shot
> and, in
> some ways, they can be the same thing.

You're right Charles...
Hearing every day that America is on the verge of a depression after
I've already decided to come home (from 30 years in Australia) is
disturbing enough but to learn that my home is also home to a bunch of
retirees behaving badly... bigots who stick their head in the sand and
ignore the even more frightening fact that they created the mess in the
first place is even more disturbing.

I wouldn't have know anything about it if I'd simply bought a book and
not watched TV!

--
You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing!

Peter

Jun 21, 2009, 7:56:56 PM6/21/09
"Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message

One of the most clever parodies of the news media's propensity of mindless
repetition was the "Buckwheat is dead." skit on SNL:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/82/82pstutts.phtml

--
Peter

Message has been deleted

Twibil

Jun 21, 2009, 9:15:10 PM6/21/09
On Jun 21, 5:58 pm, "Larry Thong" <larry_th...@shitstring.com> wrote:

> Thank God for Obama, the savior!

So this means you expect him to be crucified by the Romans?

How quaint!

Robert Coe

Jun 21, 2009, 9:51:03 PM6/21/09
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:58:28 -0400, "Larry Thong" <larry...@shitstring.com>
wrote:

: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: >> So? I carry a grudge against Americans for George Bush,
: >> and I **am** American.
: >
: > Come to think of it, so do I. And I'm a Republican.
:
: Yep, you voted for him and now I get to pay for his incompetence for the
: next 25-years. Thank God for Obama, the savior!

Rita, are you daft? I was probably that moron's most outspoken opponent in the
photography newsgroups. If you don't remember that, just ask George Kerby, who
actually did support Bush. I didn't vote for him either time, and I didn't
even vote for his father when he ran for re-election.

I'm a real Republican, not a neocon or Cheney stooge. I'm appalled at the
direction the party has taken in recent years. I voted for Obama and would do
so again in a heartbeat.

Bob

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 11:39:07 AM6/22/09
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:29:46 -0400, Alan Browne
<4cOdnUFgA4t3zKPX...@giganews.com>:

>And the consumers of the other cameras probably don't give a damn about
>the memory card source. They get one and keep it with the camera for
>its life.

Many do care because they can't swap the card with other devices.

For example, I like to take pictures with my digital camera and swap the
card into my cell phone to transmit them, and the multiplicity of
formats limits my ability to do so.

--
Best regards,
John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 11:41:20 AM6/22/09
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:34:14 -0700, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote in <E9u%l.947$Wj7...@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com>:

You boycott everything, as your lack of any real experience makes clear.
;)

abo mahab

Jun 22, 2009, 11:52:28 AM6/22/09
Justice to all Mankind, Even Those Who Make an Enemy of Islam
I hope you don’t mind receiving my letter. It is short but full of
information.

Justice to all Mankind, Even Those Who Make an Enemy of Islam

The saying of Allaah the Exalted:

"O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allaah as just witnesses; and
let not the enmity and hatred of others allow you to avoid justice. Be
just: that is closer to piety; and fear Allaah. Indeed, Allaah is Well-
Acquainted with what you do."
[Soorah Al-Maa'idah 5:8]

Ibn Katheer explains:
“Do not let your hatred of a people cause you to be unjust to them,
rather you must be just to everyone, friends or enemies, this is why
Allaah said: ‘Be just: that is closer to piety’ Meaning being just is
closer to piety than being unjust.”
At Tabari, a renowned scholar of the 8th century comments:
“Do not let enmity between you and others cause you to be unjust in
your dealings and rulings with them such that you oppress them due to
the enmity that is between you… It has been stated that this verse was
revealed when the Jews plotted to murder the Prophet.”

Al Qurtubi, a scholar from the 12th century states:
“This verse also proves that the disbelief of non-Muslims must not
prevent us from being just to them…and it is not permissible for us to
retaliate in the same manner, even if they kill our women and children
and cause sorrow to befall us, it is not permissible for us to act
likewise with the intention of making them feel grief and sorrow.”

Allaah the Elevated says:
"Verily, Allaah enjoins justice, beneficence, giving (help) to kith
and kin, and forbids all forms of evil and Al-Munkar (i.e. all that is
prohibited by Islamic law and oppression). He admonishes you, that you
may take heed.)."
[Soorah An-Nahl 16:90]

Ibn Katheer states:
“Allaah orders his servants with justice, which is fairness and
equity, and encourages them to be beneficent.”

Allaah the Mighty says:
"Indeed We have sent Our Messengers with clear proofs, and revealed
with them the Scripture and the Balance (justice) that mankind may
keep up justice."
[Soorah Al-Hadeed 57:25]

At Tabari comments:
“Meaning: So that people may interact amongst each other with
justice.”

Allaah the Merciful says:
"That no burdened person (with sins) shall bear the burden (sins) of
another."
[Soorah An-Najm 53:38]

Ibn Katheer comments:
“Meaning: Anybody who has oppressed himself by disbelief or sins will
be responsible for those sins, nobody else will carry the burden.”

As Sa`di, a scholar of the 19th century explains:
“…and no one shall bear the sin of another.”

The noble scholar; `Abdul-Azeez Aal Ash-Shaykh, current Mufti of the
kingdom of Saudi Arabia comments:
“Allaah judged that no person shall bear the burden of another
person’s sin due to His absolute justness.”

The Messenger of Allaah, may peace be upon him, informed us that
Allaah said:
“O My Servants, indeed I have prohibited injustice for myself, and I
have prohibited it amongst you.”

The noble scholar; `Abdul-`Azeez Aal Ash-Shaykh comments:
“This is general to all mankind, whether they are Muslim or not, it is
not permissible for any one person to oppress another even if they
were enemies or harbored hatred for one another. Enmity and hatred do
not authorize anyone in the legislation of Islam to be unjust or
practice oppression.”

The former Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Ibn Baaz
states:
“It is not permissible for Muslims to transgress upon non-Muslims, not
in their person, their wealth or their reputations if they are formal
residents in a Muslim country, have a treaty with Muslims or are under
Muslim protection, rather they must be given their rights. Muslims
must not transgress upon non-Muslims by stealing from, betraying or
cheating them with regards to their wealth. Likewise they mustn’t
physically transgress upon them by hitting them and so on. The fact
that they are residents, under treaty or protection secures them from
that.”

The noble scholar; Saalih al Luhaydan, chairman of the higher
judiciary council of Saudi Arabia states:
“During battles, the Messenger of Allaah would advice the army:

“Do not kill women, children, the elderly and those devoted to worship
in their religious centers.”

This means that Islam does not permit killing anyone except those who
kill, wage war or oppress Muslims.”

An Nawawi, a distinguished scholar from the 12th century states:
“There is a consensus amongst the scholars that killing women and
children is prohibited in battle except if they themselves engage in
battle.”

———————–

For more information about Islam

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamhouse.com/

http://www.discoverislam.com/

http://www.islambasics.com/index.php

http://english.islamway.com/

http://www.islamtoday.net/english/

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/MainPage/indexe.php

http://www.sultan.org/

Contact Us At

Imanwa...@gmail.com

nick c

Jun 22, 2009, 4:13:43 PM6/22/09

You wouldn't be alone. There are many people (about 52% of the voting
public) who have displayed little respect for the office of the
president. How else can one explain Obama being elected when so little
is know about him or his ambitions.

> Bob

Alan Browne

Jun 22, 2009, 4:57:45 PM6/22/09
On 22-06-09 16:13, nick c wrote:

> There are many people (about 52% of the voting
> public) who have displayed little respect for the office of the
> president. How else can one explain Obama being elected when so little
> is know about him or his ambitions.

The first insane thing is thinking that the Office of the President of
the US is special in some way. It isn't. It is an elected office.

Believing the US election system is much better than a survival of the
media fittest contest is plain silliness.

Five things killed McCain:

1) Getting off of his own message and caving to the Republican machine
in the last 3 months.
2) Palin.
3) Palin.
4) Palin.
5) Palin.

Alan Browne

Jun 22, 2009, 4:58:30 PM6/22/09
On 21-06-09 19:56, Peter wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in message

>> A friend of mine, no wilting flower where it comes to technology,

>> marketing and media, has all but sworn off reading or listening to the
>> news. It has become to him a mind distracting repetitious blur that
>> has almost no bearing on his life.
>>

> One of the most clever parodies of the news media's propensity of
> mindless repetition was the "Buckwheat is dead." skit on SNL:
>
> http://snltranscripts.jt.org/82/82pstutts.phtml

Good script. Don't think I saw that one. Only see about 2 shows/year...

Alan Browne

Jun 22, 2009, 5:10:13 PM6/22/09
On 22-06-09 11:39, John Navas wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:29:46 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in
> <4cOdnUFgA4t3zKPX...@giganews.com>:
>
>> And the consumers of the other cameras probably don't give a damn about
>> the memory card source. They get one and keep it with the camera for
>> its life.
>
> Many do care because they can't swap the card with other devices.
>
> For example, I like to take pictures with my digital camera and swap the
> card into my cell phone to transmit them, and the multiplicity of
> formats limits my ability to do so.

A valid point, and I did think about it (in not exactly those terms),
but not an issue with most DSLR photographers. It is esp. useful to
PJ's of course, and I could see use of it for companies with tech reps
in the field needing engineering support - though for that the in-phone
camera will sometimes suffice.

Within a few years I believe it will be common for DSLR's to offload
images on the fly to a local storage device or via WiFi directly to
online storage, websites and even back to the photogs base computer.

What I'd really like to see Sony do is integrate GPS into their bodies
along with WiFi. This is such a natural (esp. as Sony make their own
GPS') that I'm surprised that at least that part hasn't been done to
date. I should be receiving a separate GPS data logger today or
tomorrow - requires processing the log to insert locations into the DNG
exif files.

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 22, 2009, 6:06:14 PM6/22/09

> On 22-06-09 16:13, nick c wrote:
>
> Five things killed McCain:
>
> 1) Getting off of his own message and caving to the Republican machine in
> the last 3 months.
> 2) Palin.
> 3) Palin.
> 4) Palin.
> 5) Palin.

The informed consensus view in the UK is this is about right. McCain had
effectively won the campaign but threw it away. Like any other group the
Republicans will take time to accept and embrace change, and that's the
opportunity in opposition if they want to grasp it.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Chris Malcolm

Jun 22, 2009, 6:08:10 PM6/22/09

Anyone who didn't know a lot about Obama and his intentions simply
didn't care or hadn't been paying attention. He didn't suddenly arrive
from another planet. On his way up he made quite a lot of noise, wrote
a lot, and attracted plenty of interest, research, and comment.

--
Chris Malcolm

Message has been deleted

tony cooper

Jun 22, 2009, 6:36:51 PM6/22/09

About right, but I'd modify the list to be:

2) Bush
3) Palin
4) Bush
5) Palin

And, it really wasn't Palin. To many, it was the Republican party's
obvious ineptitude in promoting someone so obviously unqualified and
so obviously a sop to the Religious Right. It demonstrated that the
party itself was incapable of putting together an organization that
could manage the country.

I've added Bush because I feel so many Americans wanted all vestiges
of the Bush administration out.

I kind of wonder about 1). What *was* "his own message"? I'm not
sure he ever got *on* his own message or determined what it was.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 7:42:27 PM6/22/09
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:10:13 -0400, Alan Browne
<nsydnQqbPuiobqLX...@giganews.com>:

>On 22-06-09 11:39, John Navas wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:29:46 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in
>> <4cOdnUFgA4t3zKPX...@giganews.com>:
>>
>>> And the consumers of the other cameras probably don't give a damn about
>>> the memory card source. They get one and keep it with the camera for
>>> its life.
>>
>> Many do care because they can't swap the card with other devices.
>>
>> For example, I like to take pictures with my digital camera and swap the
>> card into my cell phone to transmit them, and the multiplicity of
>> formats limits my ability to do so.
>
>A valid point, and I did think about it (in not exactly those terms),
>but not an issue with most DSLR photographers. It is esp. useful to
>PJ's of course, and I could see use of it for companies with tech reps
>in the field needing engineering support - though for that the in-phone
>camera will sometimes suffice.

Photo blogging is becoming quite popular, and sending photos by cell is
perfect for that. Otherwise you're stuck with the camera in the phone.

>Within a few years I believe it will be common for DSLR's to offload
>images on the fly to a local storage device or via WiFi directly to
>online storage, websites and even back to the photogs base computer.

I seriously doubt Wi-Fi will catch on for that purpose, especially given
the lack of enthusiasm in the market thus far, but perhaps Bluetooth PAN
will.

>What I'd really like to see Sony do is integrate GPS into their bodies
>along with WiFi. This is such a natural (esp. as Sony make their own
>GPS') that I'm surprised that at least that part hasn't been done to
>date. I should be receiving a separate GPS data logger today or
>tomorrow - requires processing the log to insert locations into the DNG
>exif files.

An A-GPS cell phone, more and more common, could easily add location
data to transmitted images. I think it's a better fit than GPS in a
digital camera.

John Navas

Jun 22, 2009, 7:44:32 PM6/22/09
On 22 Jun 2009 22:08:10 GMT, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote
in <7aadmaF...@mid.individual.net>:

Quite a bit of which he's now starting to go back on, like open
meetings, not taxing health care benefits, and contributions. Not to
mention appointing the same folks that got us in the financial mess in
the first place, and not terribly surprising, but disappointing
nonetheless.

Peter

Jun 22, 2009, 7:53:15 PM6/22/09
"abo mahab" <imanw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>Justice to all Mankind, Even Those Who Make an Enemy of Islam
>I hope you don�t mind receiving my letter. It is short but full of
>information.

<snip>

I certainly do mind, very much.

Your letter has what? to do with photography. No one here, except some that
may know me from another group, knows my religious and political beliefs.
Not that I'm bashful, just that it's grossly inappropriate in a group where
try to share some things about photography and art.

--
Peter

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 22, 2009, 8:00:22 PM6/22/09
"Peter" <pete...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message

It's probably just a spambot.

I'm happy discussing Zen and politics alongside photography but it's really
a background thing. Indeed, as photography involve insight and
self-empowerment (to use that ghastly overused phrase) photography, is
mostly, enough on its own with confusing the issue.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Peter

Jun 22, 2009, 8:31:56 PM6/22/09
"Charles E Hardwidge" <bo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Those who know me consider me to be a very spiritual person. Certainly my
photography is influenced by Zen. It is also influenced by my current mood
which in turn may very well be influenced by the antics of the politicians
in power.

Call me a stick in the mud, if you will, but I believe that political and
religious discussions lead to bitterness that may very well inhibit the free
interchange of artistic and technical concepts.

--
Peter
Have you heard about the Buddhist who said to a hot dog vendor, "make me one

Twibil

Jun 22, 2009, 8:46:47 PM6/22/09
On Jun 22, 4:53 pm, "Peter" <peter...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

> I certainly do mind, very much.
>
> Your letter has what? to do with photography. No one here, except some that
> may know me from another group, knows my religious and political beliefs.
> Not that I'm bashful, just that it's grossly inappropriate in a group where
> try to share some things about photography and art.

But the fact that he'd hit newgroups with his religious spam
automatically tells you what he is: only fanatics think that their
views are appropriate anywhere and anytime. And you'll never convince
a fanatic -*any* fanatic- that he's not doing you a favor by cross-
posting his trash to your newsgroup.

The concept of "inappropriate" is simply not within his scope.

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 22, 2009, 9:00:20 PM6/22/09
"Peter" <pete...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message

Yes, it would be jolly rude to get in the way of the Photoshop and raw
arguments. ;-)

These things can be raised and people probably need the outlet sometime but
I'd agree that they're mostly a side issue unless there's something about
them specifically which can add value to the topic of photography.

Speaking for myself, at the moment, photography is a vehicle for practicing
Zen and drawing out a more personal practical and social focus. But, the
main aim is developing skill and getting the shot.

--
Charles E Hardwidge

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 23, 2009, 10:28:39 AM6/23/09
John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> For example, I like to take pictures with my digital camera and swap the
> card into my cell phone to transmit them, and the multiplicity of
> formats limits my ability to do so.

Swap the card? Do you want that? Not really. You want to
transmit the data!

First, there are solutions like Eye-Fi.

Second, of course you don't want to swap your mobile phone's
card(s) any more than you want to swap (internal) hard drives in
your computer. MicroSD cards are user upgradeable and you
can carry them over from your last phone, but that's it.

You certainly don't want to handle cards smaller than an SD
when you are not sitting at your well-lit, uncluttered desk.
Changing while walking works only sorta with an SD, and just
OKish with an CF. And you'll have a chance of spotting them
when you should drop them, unlike todays microscopic phone
storage devices.

The real solution is to tether your camera to your phone/data
transmission tool. Hence phone cameras. And bluetooth, since
cables are awkward, never around when you need them and prone
to be lost.[1] And docking stations for cameras, tying the camera
to the computer without having to remove the card. And EyeFi,
tethering your transmission tool to your camera. And IP-capable
cameras, remotely over the internet steerable 'web' camera designs.
And WiFi-handgrips for some DSLRs.

-Wolfgang

[1] Bluetooth is widely available in mobile phones, smart phones,
PDAs, netbooks, laptops, etc. Computers can easily be
upgraded to bluetooth. Interfaces for bluetooth should
be all standardized, as I understand it, and usable for
transmitting data. It's also not hampered by the wish for
even tinier memory packages for mobile phones and mutually
incompatible flash memory interface designs.

Pete Stavrakoglou

Jun 23, 2009, 12:05:15 PM6/23/09
Who is this Zen guy that seems to have a wide influence on some people in
this group. Where are his photos posted? :)

"Peter" <pete...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message

> "Charles E Hardwidge" <bo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <pete...@nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "abo mahab" <imanw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 3:30:55 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:05:15 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<nto...@optonline.net> wrote in
<h1qufl$be$1...@news.eternal-september.org>:

>Who is this Zen guy that seems to have a wide influence on some people in
>this group. Where are his photos posted? :)

No kidding!

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 3:30:55 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:28:39 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcv...@sneakemail.com> wrote in
<nd57h6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> For example, I like to take pictures with my digital camera and swap the
>> card into my cell phone to transmit them, and the multiplicity of
>> formats limits my ability to do so.
>
>Swap the card? Do you want that? Not really. You want to
>transmit the data!
>
>First, there are solutions like Eye-Fi.

Eye-Fi cards are expensive, small, dog slow, won't work on most public
hotspots that require any sort of authentication, and won't work at all
when there's no Wi-Fi, as is often the case when I'm out and about
taking pictures, whereas I usually have cell phone service. No thanks.

>Second, of course you don't want to swap your mobile phone's
>card(s) any more than you want to swap (internal) hard drives in
>your computer. MicroSD cards are user upgradeable and you
>can carry them over from your last phone, but that's it.

You don't speak for me. I most definitely do want to swap memory cards,
which are specifically designed to be swappable, and in fact I do it all
the time.

>You certainly don't want to handle cards smaller than an SD
>when you are not sitting at your well-lit, uncluttered desk.

Again, you don't speak for me, and I have no problem swapping microSD
cards anywhere. If you can't, that's your problem, not mine.

>The real solution is to tether your camera to your phone/data
>transmission tool. Hence phone cameras. And bluetooth, since
>cables are awkward, never around when you need them and prone
>to be lost.[1] And docking stations for cameras, tying the camera
>to the computer without having to remove the card. And EyeFi,
>tethering your transmission tool to your camera. And IP-capable
>cameras, remotely over the internet steerable 'web' camera designs.
>And WiFi-handgrips for some DSLRs.

No thanks. None of those things are even close to workable when I'm out
and about taking pictures. You're welcome to live in tech fantasy
land, but I choose to live in the real world, and will keep on swapping
memory cards to use my cell phone to actually transmit pictures.

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 3:30:55 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:26:53 -0400, John A. <jo...@nowhere.invalid> wrote
in <1u3245trahuoe7nrr...@4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:28:39 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

><ozcv...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>>The real solution is to tether your camera to your phone/data
>>transmission tool. Hence phone cameras. And bluetooth, since
>>cables are awkward, never around when you need them and prone
>>to be lost.[1] And docking stations for cameras, tying the camera
>>to the computer without having to remove the card. And EyeFi,
>>tethering your transmission tool to your camera. And IP-capable
>>cameras, remotely over the internet steerable 'web' camera designs.
>>And WiFi-handgrips for some DSLRs.
>

>Or just take ten seconds, $0.00 additional expense, & zero additional
>weight (we are talking field work) and just swap the card to the
>phone. MicroSD cards usually come with SD adapters. If you're worried
>about losing them, (carefully) put a dot of fluorescent paint on
>either side.

Sorry, but that won't work, because his eyes are closed. ;)

Alan Browne

Jun 23, 2009, 4:17:27 PM6/23/09
On 22-06-09 19:42, John Navas wrote:

> An A-GPS cell phone, more and more common, could easily add location
> data to transmitted images. I think it's a better fit than GPS in a
> digital camera.

You can think that but there are endless applications where properly
geo/time tagged data is useful as in file documentation for higher
quality images. The addition of heading (lens axis), and even pitch,
info would be useful as well.

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 4:51:56 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:17:27 -0400, Alan Browne
<maSdnWpPRrXKpdzX...@giganews.com>:

>On 22-06-09 19:42, John Navas wrote:
>
>> An A-GPS cell phone, more and more common, could easily add location
>> data to transmitted images. I think it's a better fit than GPS in a
>> digital camera.
>
>You can think that but there are endless applications where properly
>geo/time tagged data is useful as in file documentation for higher
>quality images. The addition of heading (lens axis), and even pitch,
>info would be useful as well.

Lots of things would be "useful". The question is whether it's
practical or not, and given that GPS doesn't work well in many
locations, in camera GPS is not something I'd want to rely on. My cell
phone, by comparison, has location data wherever it has a signal.

Alan Browne

Jun 23, 2009, 5:12:09 PM6/23/09

Your cellphone camera is crap. It is not even a middle of the road P&S
in quality.

GPS works very well outdoor or in vehicles. And it certainly works
better than the GPS that you don't have. It is of course outdoors where
such data is most useful in any case.

I'd rather the GPS in-camera, tagging photos whenever the reception is
valid than my current situation which is lugging along a GPS logger and
then merging the data into the image files later. More batteries, more
operations to setup and wait on.

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 5:27:34 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:12:09 -0400, Alan Browne
<dqudnQstTaS32NzX...@giganews.com>:

>On 23-06-09 16:51, John Navas wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:17:27 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in
>> <maSdnWpPRrXKpdzX...@giganews.com>:

>>> You can think that but there are endless applications where properly
>>> geo/time tagged data is useful as in file documentation for higher
>>> quality images. The addition of heading (lens axis), and even pitch,
>>> info would be useful as well.
>>
>> Lots of things would be "useful". The question is whether it's
>> practical or not, and given that GPS doesn't work well in many
>> locations, in camera GPS is not something I'd want to rely on. My cell
>> phone, by comparison, has location data wherever it has a signal.
>
>Your cellphone camera is crap. It is not even a middle of the road P&S
>in quality.

It's actually good enough for some things, not for others.

>GPS works very well outdoor

Yes.

>or in vehicles.

Only with a good external antenna, which a camera won't have. Or are
you supposing an antenna connector on digital cameras so they can be
hooked up to external antennas? What's next, a TV coax connector? ;)

>And it certainly works
>better than the GPS that you don't have.

Sorry, but no -- the A-GPS in my cell works well anywhere I get cell
service. (I have another half dozen or so GPS units, but I assume
you're referring to my cell.) Suggest you read up on A-GPS before
posting more bad information.

Alan Browne

Jun 23, 2009, 6:04:24 PM6/23/09

a) I don't take photos while driving.

b) GPS's (now) track amazingly well in autos even if they don't have a
clear view of the sky. Not that I would care as the camera/GPS would be
off.

c) Todays receivers with up to date almanac and turned on near (within
200 km) of where they were last turned off usually track within 30 s or
less. So the receiver can be off except in the half minute or so before
I need it. Doesn't matter what happens in the car.

>> And it certainly works
>> better than the GPS that you don't have.
>
> Sorry, but no -- the A-GPS in my cell works well anywhere I get cell
> service. (I have another half dozen or so GPS units, but I assume
> you're referring to my cell.) Suggest you read up on A-GPS before
> posting more bad information.

In some of the places where I photograph (less than 20 minutes from
here) there is no cellphone coverage, period. (Even at my house, cell
coverage is sketchy). Likewise traveling in US I'm in dead zones more
often than not.

If I don't have such a phone (and I don't, least not that I can get at
the data) then it's useless.

GPS covers pretty much the surface of the earth other than deep/steep
canyons. Cell phones just don't.

John Navas

Jun 23, 2009, 7:43:23 PM6/23/09
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:24 -0400, Alan Browne
<WaudnRvV3530zNzX...@giganews.com>:

>On 23-06-09 17:27, John Navas wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:12:09 -0400, Alan Browne
>> <alan....@Freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote in
>> <dqudnQstTaS32NzX...@giganews.com>:

>>> or in vehicles.

>> Only with a good external antenna, which a camera won't have. Or are
>> you supposing an antenna connector on digital cameras so they can be
>> hooked up to external antennas? What's next, a TV coax connector? ;)
>
>a) I don't take photos while driving.

It was you that brought up vehicles. [shrug]

>b) GPS's (now) track amazingly well in autos even if they don't have a

>clear view of the sky. ...

Actually not so good.

>c) Todays receivers with up to date almanac and turned on near (within
>200 km) of where they were last turned off usually track within 30 s or
>less.

If you mean get a position fix, then yes.

>So the receiver can be off except in the half minute or so before
>I need it. Doesn't matter what happens in the car.

Nice start up time for your camera. Not. LOL

>> Sorry, but no -- the A-GPS in my cell works well anywhere I get cell
>> service. (I have another half dozen or so GPS units, but I assume
>> you're referring to my cell.) Suggest you read up on A-GPS before
>> posting more bad information.
>
>In some of the places where I photograph (less than 20 minutes from

>here) there is no cellphone coverage, period. ...

Fortunately I usually don't have that problem (and when I do, I usually
have a real GPS to fall back on).

>GPS covers pretty much the surface of the earth other than deep/steep
>canyons. Cell phones just don't.

GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
cell coverage.

Peter

Jun 23, 2009, 7:41:15 PM6/23/09
"Twibil" <noway...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Of course you're right. The poster is also entitled to his/her beliefs. I
simply don't give a tinker's dam about anyone who seeks to impose their
religious vies on me. I hope to discourage religious wars, except of course
Nikon over Canon. <G>

--
Peter

Peter

Jun 23, 2009, 7:58:42 PM6/23/09
"Pete Stavrakoglou" <nto...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Who is this Zen guy that seems to have a wide influence on some people in
> this group. Where are his photos posted? :)

Hey, top poster. You missed an interesting shoot with meetup. Ever see
mermaids carrying umbrellas?

I am working on selections and may have them posted shortly. The big holdup
is my most severe critic has little time to review and disapprove. :-) (She
doesn't have a website either, but she gets upwards of $50 for an 8x10, up
to $750 for a much larger size.
BTW she uses a Nikon D70 almost exclusively with a Sigma lens.)

I am considering an offer from someone who has offered to be my agent. I
don't know if it will come to anything, though.

--
Peter

George Kerby

Jun 23, 2009, 8:20:27 PM6/23/09

On 6/22/09 5:22 PM, in article
v4mdneoDxo6vmd3X...@supernews.com, "Larry Thong"
<larry...@shitstring.com> wrote:

> nick c wrote:
>
>>> I voted for Obama and would do
>>> so again in a heartbeat.
>>
>> You wouldn't be alone. There are many people (about 52% of the voting
>> public) who have displayed little respect for the office of the
>> president. How else can one explain Obama being elected when so little
>> is know about him or his ambitions.
>

> Because everyone knew that McCain is just another Bush. Funny how all these
> people now say they haven't voted for Bush. Obama has made so many strides
> in getting us back on course.

To total disaster.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 6:57:07 AM6/24/09
John A <jo...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> Or just take ten seconds, $0.00 additional expense, & zero additional
> weight (we are talking field work) and just swap the card to the
> phone. MicroSD cards usually come with SD adapters.

You'll have to explain that to me, I don't get it. How does that
work with the fast & good SD cards I have for my cameras and the
single, just-good-enough microSD I filled with stuff for my phone?

As I see it, to be able to transmit the data this way, I would have
to re-buy all the storage I might need (and currently have in SD
cards) in microSD cards, and that's not "$0.00 additional expense".

> If you're worried about losing them, (carefully) put a dot of
> fluorescent paint on either side.

A great idea. I even might find them now in the high grass if
a tiny puff of wind blows the 0.4 gramms away --- that gives me
a warm feeling.

Maybe it's my large hands, maybe it's that I am a clutz, but I
don't feel comfortable changing SD cards in the field, how do
you suppose I feel with microSD?

-Wolfgang

PS: Luckily, there are even microSD to CF "converters".

Chris Malcolm

Jun 24, 2009, 7:57:23 AM6/24/09

> Yes.

>>or in vehicles.

For many years now GPS units have worked well inside cars with no
external antenna. If the GPS is hand held in the front of the car the
windscreen usually provides enough visibility unless it had one of the
RF blocking heating systems within it.

>>And it certainly works
>>better than the GPS that you don't have.

> Sorry, but no -- the A-GPS in my cell works well anywhere I get cell
> service. (I have another half dozen or so GPS units, but I assume
> you're referring to my cell.) Suggest you read up on A-GPS before
> posting more bad information.

If your A-GPS uses RAW GPS readings from the cell phone GPS receiver
which is sent off for processing and the calculated location returned
to the phone then it has the same aerial requirements as a GPS. If the
cell phone has a fully fledged location calculation GPS unit then it
has the same aerial requirements as a GPS. If it hasn't a GPS
receiver, or can't currently get GPS readings, and is substituting
cell phone location derived from the cell(s) controlling your phone
what accuracy do you have? It depends on cell density and how
sophisticated it is. The least sophisticated uses the local cell
location. The most sophisticated uses multiple cells if they're
available combined with signal strength as a rather error-prone
estimate of distance to do a very rough approximation to
trilateralisation.

I find that with the systems here (UK) outside cities the error is
measured in miles, and in cities it's in hundreds of yards. It's a lot
better than nothing, but far from good enough for locating a
photograph. What location error do you get? I don't mean the error the
system optimistically hopes it has, I mean the real error it has in
practice :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 7:19:56 AM6/24/09
John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:24 -0400, Alan Browne

>>b) GPS's (now) track amazingly well in autos even if they don't have a

>>clear view of the sky. ...

> Actually not so good.

Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.

>>So the receiver can be off except in the half minute or so before
>>I need it. Doesn't matter what happens in the car.

> Nice start up time for your camera. Not. LOL

There are ways to reduce the start-up time to about 0 seconds,
if your clock is somewhere around ±10 minutes of correct.

> GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
> inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
> cell coverage.

Most areas are without cell phone coverage.
And that "under trees" claim is spurious, personal experience
tells me something quite different to your claims.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 7:14:15 AM6/24/09
John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Eye-Fi cards are expensive, small, dog slow, won't work on most public
> hotspots that require any sort of authentication, and won't work at all
> when there's no Wi-Fi, as is often the case when I'm out and about
> taking pictures, whereas I usually have cell phone service. No thanks.

Disliking an implementation does not indicate grasping the idea.

> Again, you don't speak for me,

You don't pay me to speak for you, so stop complaining.

> and I have no problem swapping microSD
> cards anywhere. If you can't, that's your problem, not mine.

Good enough. Just don't complain the next time someone tells
you to just do something you and most people are not able to
do competently for some reason. It's your problem, not mine or
anyone elses.

> but I choose to live in the real world, and will keep on swapping
> memory cards to use my cell phone to actually transmit pictures.

If your real world really needs swapping microSD cards because
no better solution is possible, ever, then that's your choice
and all I can do is wish you the best of luck.

Don't assume everyone will share your 'vision' of the future and
the real world.

-Wolfgang

Chris H

Jun 24, 2009, 8:55:04 AM6/24/09
In message <sne9h6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>, Wolfgang
Weisselberg <ozcv...@sneakemail.com> writes

>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:24 -0400, Alan Browne
>
>>>b) GPS's (now) track amazingly well in autos even if they don't have a
>>>clear view of the sky. ...
>
>> Actually not so good.
>
>Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
>claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
>upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.

I agree. Never had a problem with GPS

>>>So the receiver can be off except in the half minute or so before
>>>I need it. Doesn't matter what happens in the car.
>> Nice start up time for your camera. Not. LOL
>There are ways to reduce the start-up time to about 0 seconds,
>if your clock is somewhere around �10 minutes of correct.

That is the same for any GPS

>> GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
>> inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
>> cell coverage.
>
>Most areas are without cell phone coverage.

True

>And that "under trees" claim is spurious, personal experience
>tells me something quite different to your claims.

I agree.

What he has said is:-
GPS works except where there is no coverage.
Mobile phones work except where there is no coverage.

More of the world has GPS coverage than mobile phone coverage.
BTW you have to have the right mobile phone... not all can handle all
four of the main systems in use.

You can loose signal GPS or Phone in some conditions. They loose signal
for different reasons. IT often depends on the construction of the
building.

Most camera GPS systems will "freeze" the co-ordinates when they loose
signal. For example go into a building. How accurate do you need the
position for the picture?

karl k

Jun 24, 2009, 11:01:17 AM6/24/09

I don't know how it is supposed to make you feel, but you make me feel glad
that I'm not a klutz (nor as-poor of a speller).

MicroSD is wonderful. Can use them in all manner of things. Even in
memory-incompatible devices. E.g. using inexpensive SD memory in MicroSD
format with a MemoryStick adapter. I also have a handy 3mm x 10mm x 30mm
key-fob USB-Stick adapter that they fit in. No need to have a dozen
USB-Sticks for transferring data or running software from them.* Just pop
in a new MicroSD from a little wallet pocket that has the required data on
it. I carry along all my editors and plugins when traveling, running them
right from the MicroSD cards. No need either for any special card-reader
while traveling and using other computers, no need for even a USB cable.
Put the MicroSD USB-stick right into the USB port.

* [I'm a strong advocate and collector of any software than can be used as
a no-need-to-install USB-Stick "portable". Excellent Photoline photo-editor
being one of the few that can be tailored to work this way just by creating
simple "UserSettings" and "Plugins" sub-folders. Another handy one to carry
along for any dedicated nature photographer is "Stellarium Portable"
astronomy software with the star-catalog data to magnitude 15, though some
larger data-sets go much higher, which I feel is huge overkill for my
needs. My hacker-hacked portable video editing software too comes in handy
when doing time-lapse movie events while traveling, and then burning them
to DVD with Portable Nero. As well as the hacker's Portable PTGUI for
panos, HDR or otherwise. Well-rounded photo-trekkers need to fill out their
portable-apps collections, no matter how you obtain them. Hacked and
pirated is often the only way.]

No matter how many photos I take and store on my camera cards I always have
backup camera-memory readily available too, stored in whatever MP3 player
and GPS unit that I also take along on any camera-outing. (No cell-phone,
never found an important need for one.) You can store quite a few of those
little MicroSD cards under the battery covers of most of the devices that
use them; while you're out mountain-biking, hiking, or white-water
kayaking. I fashion safe little pockets for them under the battery-covers
using clear and strong packing tape. (Go to instructables.com and browse
any of the ingenious duct-tape wallets to see how this is easily
accomplished, but done in miniature for MicroSD cards.) One of my MP3
players alone houses about 48 GIGS of memory storage in individual
MicroSDs, about 1/4th of that taken up with tunes, another 1/3rd taken up
with a few favorite movies. My GPS houses about another 20 GIGS of MicroSD
cards, all of North America in high-resolution topo and routing data. As
well as high-resolution water depth maps and coastal data for all waters
east of Asia and West of Europe and Africa, pole to pole. It's easy to get
lost or endlessly trapped while kayaking or canoeing in places like the
complex "10,000 Islands" maze area of the Everglades if you don't have
that.

I also like to take along favorite Hollywood movies and documentaries on
them, to share with others when traveling. There's a fun little utility
that they made for CHDK cameras where you can watch your lower-resolution
(re-authored) DVD movies right in the camera or to play back on someone's
TV set with the camera's AV-out cable. Out in the middle of nowhere in some
remote campground we can enjoy some popcorn while re-watching 2.5 hour-long
"Lord of the Rings" episodes using nothing but the camera's swing-out LCD
display alone. (Sometimes the huddling close enough to do so has added
benefits, company and freezing-weather dependent.) The non-essential
accessory-maps, movies, and music data on all those MicroSDs can always be
replaced when I get back home, I can't replace that moment in time for
photos.

Never lost a MicroSD yet either, knock on titanium-shelled camera, not
wood. I think it would be a safe bet to say too that I've swapped more of
them out in more places, more often, and under more adverse conditions than
you've even imagined doing in your lifetime. Good photographers try to be
attentive to even the most minute of details. This innate ability is also
put to good use for, and includes, watching where your MicroSD cards might
happen to be.

I wonder ... is there a possible correlation in all this? "Fearful of
losing MicroSD cards" = "clumsy and inattentive to important details" =
"poor photographer"?

Quite possible. Very possible.

"As is the fractal part so goes the fractal whole." ~caMel~

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 11:41:22 AM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:19:56 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcv...@sneakemail.com> wrote in
<sne9h6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:24 -0400, Alan Browne
>
>>>b) GPS's (now) track amazingly well in autos even if they don't have a
>>>clear view of the sky. ...
>
>> Actually not so good.
>
>Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
>claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
>upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.

I'm talking state of the art Garmin receivers.

>>>So the receiver can be off except in the half minute or so before
>>>I need it. Doesn't matter what happens in the car.
>
>> Nice start up time for your camera. Not. LOL
>
>There are ways to reduce the start-up time to about 0 seconds,
>if your clock is somewhere around �10 minutes of correct.

The best warm fix is about 30 secs.

>> GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
>> inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
>> cell coverage.
>
>Most areas are without cell phone coverage.

I don't spend much time hiking in remote deserts.

>And that "under trees" claim is spurious, personal experience
>tells me something quite different to your claims.

Your trees must be pretty thin.

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 11:44:38 AM6/24/09
On 24 Jun 2009 11:57:23 GMT, Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote
in <7aeil3F...@mid.individual.net>:

>In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> Only with a good external antenna, which a camera won't have. Or are
>> you supposing an antenna connector on digital cameras so they can be
>> hooked up to external antennas? What's next, a TV coax connector? ;)
>
>For many years now GPS units have worked well inside cars with no
>external antenna. If the GPS is hand held in the front of the car the
>windscreen usually provides enough visibility unless it had one of the
>RF blocking heating systems within it.

Can work well if you put it on (and secure it to) the dash,
but not so good on the seat next to you.

>> Sorry, but no -- the A-GPS in my cell works well anywhere I get cell
>> service. (I have another half dozen or so GPS units, but I assume
>> you're referring to my cell.) Suggest you read up on A-GPS before
>> posting more bad information.
>
>If your A-GPS uses RAW GPS readings from the cell phone GPS receiver
>which is sent off for processing and the calculated location returned

>to the phone then it has the same aerial requirements as a GPS. ...

A-GPS units can use tower triangulation to supplement GPS signals.

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 11:52:45 AM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:57:07 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<3dd9h6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>John A <jo...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Or just take ten seconds, $0.00 additional expense, & zero additional
>> weight (we are talking field work) and just swap the card to the
>> phone. MicroSD cards usually come with SD adapters.
>
>You'll have to explain that to me, I don't get it. How does that
>work with the fast & good SD cards I have for my cameras and the
>single, just-good-enough microSD I filled with stuff for my phone?
>
>As I see it, to be able to transmit the data this way, I would have
>to re-buy all the storage I might need (and currently have in SD
>cards) in microSD cards, and that's not "$0.00 additional expense".

Stick the phone microSD card in an SD adapter.
Insert the SD adapter in the camera.
Take pictures.
Remove the SD adapter from the camera.
Remove the phone microSD card from the SD adapter.
Insert the microSD card in the phone.
Transmit pictures.

Works great.
Zero cost if you already have the microSD card.
Dirt cheap if you don't.

One annoyance for me is that my phone of choice (Sony Ericsson TM506)
uses (ugh) Memory Stick Micro (M2) memory cards, so I have to use a
backup phone with microSD slot to transmit pictures. Fortunately,
because my carrier (T-Mobile) is GSM, I can do this by simply swapping
my SIM card.

>> If you're worried about losing them, (carefully) put a dot of
>> fluorescent paint on either side.
>
>A great idea. I even might find them now in the high grass if
>a tiny puff of wind blows the 0.4 gramms away --- that gives me
>a warm feeling.
>
>Maybe it's my large hands, maybe it's that I am a clutz, but I
>don't feel comfortable changing SD cards in the field, how do
>you suppose I feel with microSD?

I've never had a problem changing SD cards or even microSD cards
(or SIM cards) in the field, even in moving boats.

Chris H

Jun 24, 2009, 12:10:55 PM6/24/09
In message <24i4455t0il27jbku...@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamf...@navasgroup.com> writes

>On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:19:56 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
><ozcv...@sneakemail.com> wrote in
><sne9h6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:
>
>>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:04:24 -0400, Alan Browne

>>> Actually not so good.
>>
>>Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
>>claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
>>upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.
>
>I'm talking state of the art Garmin receivers.

They are very good and the only time they have lost lock was in a 1/2
mile curved tunnel under a city. Re-lock as leaving tunnel. Otherwise
pin point accuracy. (Car radio also goes in that tunnel)

>>> Nice start up time for your camera. Not. LOL
>>There are ways to reduce the start-up time to about 0 seconds,
>>if your clock is somewhere around �10 minutes of correct.
>The best warm fix is about 30 secs.

You must have an old system... it depends where you are and the weather
conditions and the landscape

>>> GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
>>> inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
>>> cell coverage.
>>Most areas are without cell phone coverage.
>I don't spend much time hiking in remote deserts.

Lots of places don't have phone cover. The UK is 98% but there are still
dips and valleys that have problems. Once stayed on a holiday park there
was no phone signal 4 miles from town . Mobile phone signals are line
of site from a ground based transmitter.

Great if you live in a flat area like remote deserts where two masts can
cover a far greater distance than in urban areas.

>>And that "under trees" claim is spurious, personal experience
>>tells me something quite different to your claims.
>Your trees must be pretty thin.

I agree... trees are not a problem

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 12:28:37 PM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:10:55 +0100, Chris H <ch...@phaedsys.org> wrote
in <l3m$7QCPAl...@phaedsys.demon.co.uk>:

>In message <24i4455t0il27jbku...@4ax.com>, John Navas
><spamf...@navasgroup.com> writes

>>The best warm fix is about 30 secs.

>You must have an old system...

Not so.

>it depends where you are and the weather
>conditions and the landscape

It actually depends on bird acquisition and data reception.
Anything in less time is a guess by the receiver.

>>I don't spend much time hiking in remote deserts.
>

>Lots of places don't have phone cover. ...

Not the places I go (which is all I care about).

J. Clarke

Jun 24, 2009, 12:58:16 PM6/24/09

I'm curious--what are you using? My etrex Vista loses lock on a regular
basis in Connecticut forests in the summer. Maybe it's time to upgrade
again.

Chris H

Jun 24, 2009, 2:00:34 PM6/24/09
In message <h1tm3...@news2.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke...@cox.net> writes

>> I agree... trees are not a problem
>
>I'm curious--what are you using?

Garmin Nuvi 660fm

> My etrex Vista loses lock on a regular
>basis in Connecticut forests in the summer.

How tall are the trees and how dense? If it is a very tall dense forest
if could have some effect.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 1:10:54 PM6/24/09
John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:19:56 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg

[GPS in cars]

>>Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
>>claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
>>upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.

> I'm talking state of the art Garmin receivers.

If you have bad reception with them, something is wrong ---
and it's not the car.

>>There are ways to reduce the start-up time to about 0 seconds,
>>if your clock is somewhere around ±10 minutes of correct.

> The best warm fix is about 30 secs.

... and can be done in post-processing.
News for you: There's at least one commercial offer doing
exactly that. Fix time: 0.2 seconds.
This should be a big enough hint for you to figure it out.

>>> GPS also has problems in urban canyons, under trees, and anywhere
>>> inside. Cell generally does better except in areas where there's no
>>> cell coverage.

>>Most areas are without cell phone coverage.

> I don't spend much time hiking in remote deserts.

You don't spend time anywhere except mostly densely settled
parts, it seems.

>>And that "under trees" claim is spurious, personal experience
>>tells me something quite different to your claims.

> Your trees must be pretty thin.

I understand that cell phone reception is spotty in the jungle.
Where, granted, GPS reception is not that easy. Still, people
are effectively using GPS in the tropical rain forrests, as a
quick google will show you.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 1:12:46 PM6/24/09
Chris H <ch...@phaedsys.org> wrote:

[GPS]

> How accurate do you need the position for the picture?

Sub-millimeter accuracy is needed for macros. :-)

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 1:24:50 PM6/24/09
John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:57:07 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>John A <jo...@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>>> Or just take ten seconds, $0.00 additional expense, & zero additional
>>> weight (we are talking field work) and just swap the card to the
>>> phone. MicroSD cards usually come with SD adapters.

>>You'll have to explain that to me, I don't get it. How does that
>>work with the fast & good SD cards I have for my cameras and the
>>single, just-good-enough microSD I filled with stuff for my phone?

>>As I see it, to be able to transmit the data this way, I would have
>>to re-buy all the storage I might need (and currently have in SD
>>cards) in microSD cards, and that's not "$0.00 additional expense".

> Stick the phone microSD card in an SD adapter.
> Insert the SD adapter in the camera.
> Take pictures.

Sorry, I need the phone in the meantime. And that includes the
data saved on the microSD. Which is, by the way, nearly full.

> Remove the SD adapter from the camera.
> Remove the phone microSD card from the SD adapter.
> Insert the microSD card in the phone.
> Transmit pictures.

Sorry, I am out of cellphone range, the microSD is full after
3 pictures, and I want to make more pictures. No, there's
nothing to delete on the card, sorry, I need it all.

Told you I'd need to buy extra storage.

I also want to continue shooting while transmitting, which
can take _very_ long, depending on location and upload speed.

And then I am shooting RAW + JPEG, and I'll only transmit chosen
JPEGs (because of the size, and because flickr, for example,
doesn't do RAW). I'll still want all the RAWs.

Told you I'd need to buy enough cards. At least 2 and a mobile
hard drive.

> Works great.

Sure, for _you_ it may work great. You just don't get that
not everybody is you. Or uses equipment just like you do.
Or has needs different from yours.

> Zero cost if you already have the microSD card.
> Dirt cheap if you don't.

Lost in the dirt in seconds, too.

> One annoyance for me is that my phone of choice (Sony Ericsson TM506)
> uses (ugh) Memory Stick Micro (M2) memory cards, so I have to use a
> backup phone with microSD slot to transmit pictures. Fortunately,
> because my carrier (T-Mobile) is GSM, I can do this by simply swapping
> my SIM card.

I see, no additional weight, no additional costs, no additional
hassles.

> I've never had a problem changing SD cards or even microSD cards
> (or SIM cards) in the field, even in moving boats.

Good for you! I'd like to watch you changing microSD cards
in high winds on a rocky rowing boat or while jogging through
waist-high grass.

-Wolfgang

David J Taylor

Jun 24, 2009, 2:10:18 PM6/24/09
J. Clarke wrote:
[]

> I'm curious--what are you using? My etrex Vista loses lock on a
> regular basis in Connecticut forests in the summer. Maybe it's time
> to upgrade again.

I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, and I hardly ever see a loss of lock
except inside buildings (although top floors and near windows can be OK).
The unit locks near windows on buses, in cars, near cruise liner cabin
portholes, and even in aircraft (permission obtained, of course).

Cheers,
David

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 2:11:46 PM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:00:34 +0100, Chris H <ch...@phaedsys.org> wrote
in <RklCPcDC...@phaedsys.demon.co.uk>:

>In message <h1tm3...@news2.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
><jclarke...@cox.net> writes
>>>
>>> I agree... trees are not a problem
>>
>>I'm curious--what are you using?
>
>Garmin Nuvi 660fm
>
>> My etrex Vista loses lock on a regular
>>basis in Connecticut forests in the summer.
>
>How tall are the trees and how dense? If it is a very tall dense forest
>if could have some effect.

Density matters. Height doesn't.
GPS needs a clear view of the sky,

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 2:14:00 PM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:10:54 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<u93ah6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> I'm talking state of the art Garmin receivers.
>
>If you have bad reception with them, something is wrong ---
>and it's not the car.

I don't have problems with them.

>> The best warm fix is about 30 secs.
>
>... and can be done in post-processing.
>News for you: There's at least one commercial offer doing
>exactly that. Fix time: 0.2 seconds.

Nope. Anything less is a guess, not a fix.

>> I don't spend much time hiking in remote deserts.
>
>You don't spend time anywhere except mostly densely settled
>parts, it seems.

Nope. Wrong again.

>> Your trees must be pretty thin.
>
>I understand that cell phone reception is spotty in the jungle.
>Where, granted, GPS reception is not that easy. Still, people
>are effectively using GPS in the tropical rain forrests, as a
>quick google will show you.

Only with difficulty. Tree cover is an issue.

I'm done with the increasingly pointless back and forth.
Feel free to have the last word.

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 2:19:30 PM6/24/09
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:24:50 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<244ah6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>John Navas <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> Stick the phone microSD card in an SD adapter.
>> Insert the SD adapter in the camera.
>> Take pictures.
>
>Sorry, I need the phone in the meantime. And that includes the
>data saved on the microSD. Which is, by the way, nearly full.

I didn't realize you couldn't afford a few dollars for another microSD
card. You have my sincere sympathy. I have three.

>> Remove the SD adapter from the camera.
>> Remove the phone microSD card from the SD adapter.
>> Insert the microSD card in the phone.
>> Transmit pictures.
>
>Sorry, I am out of cellphone range,

You have my sincere sympathy. You might want to consider a better
carrier. I'm almost always in cell range, usually 3G range.

>the microSD is full after
>3 pictures,

You have my sincere sympathy. You might want to consider a bigger card.
16 GB cards are readily available.

>Told you I'd need to buy extra storage.

You can manufacture impossible circumstances for anything,
but that doesn't prove anything.

>> Works great.
>
>Sure, for _you_ it may work great.

And for many others.

>> Zero cost if you already have the microSD card.
>> Dirt cheap if you don't.
>
>Lost in the dirt in seconds, too.

You have my sincere sympathy. No problem here.

>I see, no additional weight, no additional costs, no additional
>hassles.

None that matter.

>> I've never had a problem changing SD cards or even microSD cards
>> (or SIM cards) in the field, even in moving boats.
>
>Good for you! I'd like to watch you changing microSD cards
>in high winds on a rocky rowing boat or while jogging through
>waist-high grass.

I do it all the time on racing sailboats and in RIBs with high wind and
choppy sea. No biggie.

I'm done with this too. Feel free to have the last word.

J. Clarke

Jun 24, 2009, 5:24:53 PM6/24/09

Thanks. I would get a new one just before the SiRF chips hit.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Jun 24, 2009, 6:55:48 PM6/24/09
karl k <ka...@address.com> wrote:

Now why does that email address look bogus to me?

> I don't know how it is supposed to make you feel, but you make me feel glad
> that I'm not a klutz (nor as-poor of a speller).

'as-poor of a speller'?

> MicroSD is wonderful.

If you say so ... you must be right, "karl k". But I note
you are unwilling to back your claim with your good name.

> My GPS houses about another 20 GIGS of MicroSD
> cards, all of North America in high-resolution topo and routing data. As
> well as high-resolution water depth maps and coastal data for all waters
> east of Asia and West of Europe and Africa, pole to pole. It's easy to get
> lost or endlessly trapped while kayaking or canoeing in places like the
> complex "10,000 Islands" maze area of the Everglades if you don't have
> that.

I've never been canoeing in the Everglades where I got lost and
needed maps from pole to pole. You must be really inattentive
to come out of the swamps, go south past Cuba, through the
Panama canal and never notice until you are halfway to Cape Horn.

> Out in the middle of nowhere in some
> remote campground we can enjoy some popcorn while re-watching 2.5 hour-long
> "Lord of the Rings" episodes using nothing but the camera's swing-out LCD
> display alone.

Yes, it's a grand idea to watch a movie (for example "Lord of
the Rings") definitively meant for the big screen on a tiny LCD,
running down your batteries in the middle of nowhere.

> Never lost a MicroSD yet either, knock on titanium-shelled camera, not
> wood. I think it would be a safe bet to say too that I've swapped more of
> them out in more places, more often, and under more adverse conditions than
> you've even imagined doing in your lifetime.

You've got great skill in solving problems in the hardest
possible way. Determined, if not necessarily smart.

> Good photographers try to be attentive to even the most minute of
> details.

So anyone who is a good photographer can change microSD cards,
that's what you say?
Wonder what Anselm Adams would think, handling huge view
cameras ...

> This innate ability is also put to good use for, and includes,
> watching where your MicroSD cards might happen to be.

Good to know that ability cannot be learned nor trained.

> I wonder ... is there a possible correlation in all this? "Fearful of
> losing MicroSD cards" = "clumsy and inattentive to important details" =
> "poor photographer"?

> Quite possible. Very possible.

Let me put it that way: you'll go far as an orator for an extremist
party, where easy, cheap and wrong solutions are preferred to
understanding the problems or even looking closely.

-Wolfgang

Message has been deleted

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 8:17:33 PM6/24/09
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:55:48 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<kgnah6-...@ID-52418.user.berlin.de>:

>karl k <ka...@address.com> wrote:
>
>Now why does that email address look bogus to me?
>
>> I don't know how it is supposed to make you feel, but you make me feel glad
>> that I'm not a klutz (nor as-poor of a speller).
>
>'as-poor of a speller'?
>
>> MicroSD is wonderful.
>
>If you say so ... you must be right, "karl k". But I note
>you are unwilling to back your claim with your good name.

Which means bupkis.

>> Good photographers try to be attentive to even the most minute of
>> details.
>
>So anyone who is a good photographer can change microSD cards,
>that's what you say?

Pretty much.

Charles E Hardwidge

Jun 24, 2009, 8:28:01 PM6/24/09

"John A." <jo...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> I'm sure the US defense department will be very interested in how you
> are achieving that with GPS. ;)

The European Galileo system? ;-p

--
Charles E Hardwidge

John Navas

Jun 24, 2009, 8:34:40 PM6/24/09
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:28:01 GMT, "Charles E Hardwidge"
<bo...@invalid.invalid> wrote in
<lwz0m.47216$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com>:

ROTFL!

Message has been deleted

karl k

Jun 24, 2009, 10:28:11 PM6/24/09
<ozcv...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>I've never been canoeing in the Everglades where I got lost and
>needed maps from pole to pole. You must be really inattentive
>to come out of the swamps, go south past Cuba, through the
>Panama canal and never notice until you are halfway to Cape Horn.

No no no ... learn to comprehend what you are reading. Even though I have
the depth and coastal data for the whole hemisphere in my GPS, only a small
subset of that is needed to keep from getting trapped in that vast coastal
and wetlands expanse known as the 10,000 Islands area.

I was checking out my mapping software just about an hour ago, retracing
some of my routes through that region, just for fun. I noticed that some of
the waypoints on the mapping software had little Park Service "notes" that
I had never accessed nor bothered to read before. Some were interesting.
Even the data included in the GPS mapping software suggests to allocate at
least 7 days to get from one end of that region to the other by canoe, and
no watercraft over 18 ft. in length should ever be used. The convoluted
paths through the seemingly hundreds of miles of mangrove tunnels and
mud-flat expanses won't allow it. And that's only if you stick to the
"recommended" most direct route. Why go where everyone else has gone
before?

Really, you aught to get out more often.

>> Out in the middle of nowhere in some
>> remote campground we can enjoy some popcorn while re-watching 2.5 hour-long
>> "Lord of the Rings" episodes using nothing but the camera's swing-out LCD
>> display alone.
>
>Yes, it's a grand idea to watch a movie (for example "Lord of
>the Rings") definitively meant for the big screen on a tiny LCD,
>running down your batteries in the middle of nowhere.

Ah, you're one of those lame "bit-heads". You think it's all about the
number of pixels and the quality of the image. Never about the content
being the most important factor. Here's some, probably rather disturbing,
news for you. Did you know the whole "Lord of the Rings" series was popular
for many decades and entertained millions as just (GASP) B&W TEXT ONLY?!?
Oh my! How did they ever pull that off without the widescreen
surround-sound presentation? That must have been some pretty fancy
ASCII-art no doubt.

Content, me boy. Content. It's all about the content. Always has been,
always will be.

Batteries being run down? I take it you've done little, to no, of the more
adventurous type of photography trip. One of my most favorite folding
solar-panels for recharging cameras and batteries packs down to only
9"x4"x1" when folded up in its soft cloth casing. Yet unfolded in bright
sunlight it will recharge a run-down Li-Ion battery in under 3 hours.
Giving me over 500 minutes (>8.3 hours) of photo shooting time. My other 2
panels aren't as compact, but will run a laptop without any battery in it,
by sunlight alone. Not that I care to lug a lap-top around very often, nor
those extra solar-panels. I like to travel as light as possible, going
places where no photographer has ever gone before. (Cue Star Trek theme
music if you must.) Computers, to borrow for the few hours needed at
times, are available everywhere when back in more "civilized" areas. The RV
campgrounds are crawling gate to gate with computers for the borrowing. I
have to be careful though. If I fix just one person's computer problem for
them then word gets out and I get trapped as "computer guru" in a park for
a week. All the free dinners and stuff are nice, but ...

>Let me put it that way: you'll go far as an orator for an extremist
>party, where easy, cheap and wrong solutions are preferred to
>understanding the problems or even looking closely.
>
>-Wolfgang

Let me put it this way, you're a talentless "clutz". :-) One who can't even
begin to comprehend the vast benefits of a nearly universal memory storage
device. Your loss, not mine.

David J Taylor

Jun 25, 2009, 1:49:29 AM6/25/09

.. and now with the MTK GPS chipset, I understand, so possibly even
better.

David

nospam

Jun 25, 2009, 2:08:49 AM6/25/09
In article <f0r44598cp0cfu2sb...@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Density matters. Height doesn't.
> GPS needs a clear view of the sky,

a clear view helps but is not required with decent gps units. older
ones do require a clear view, however.

nospam

Jun 25, 2009, 2:08:48 AM6/25/09
In article <24i4455t0il27jbku...@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Actually not so good.
> >
> >Personal experience tells me someting quite different to your
> >claims. Maybe you only drive in tunnels. Maybe you should
> >upgrade your GPS receiver to something sold in recent years.
>
> I'm talking state of the art Garmin receivers.

garmin gps units with the sirf star iii chipset work amazingly well
indoors and under obstructions. i know someone who has a bluetooth gps
logger and he leaves it in his glove compartment and it tracks just
fine.

when i was shopping for a gps, i was able to get a 3d fix inside a
department store at a shopping mall (steel frame construction) with no
less than *six* satellites tracking, all with medium to high signal
strength. the older non-sirf star iii chipset gps had absolutely no
satellites. i easily get gps fixes indoors, and not on the top floor
either.

<http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/006739.php>

Both the Nuvi 350 and the Nuvi 360 come with the SiRF star III
chipset, which is very sensitive and recently I was able to get a
signal with the SiRF star III in my basement.

It is loading more messages.