Help with my D90 please

Samantha Booth

Jan 28, 2009, 5:59:11 AM1/28/09
Got my D90 yesterday and I am a complete novice so go easy on me :)

It came with something that goes on the end of the lens. It screws on the
end and is like a zig zag shape, sorry dont know the name. However when I
take photos and review them this thing is visible in the shot at the bottom.
I cannot rotate it to make it invisible so what is it for and why is it
showing in my pictures.

Can anyone help please?

Samantha Booth

Jan 28, 2009, 6:21:20 AM1/28/09

"Samantha Booth" <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote in message
Lens hood I think and its sorted now, user error :)

Ray Fischer

Jan 29, 2009, 2:08:06 AM1/29/09
Samantha Booth <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote:
>"Samantha Booth" <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote in message

>> Got my D90 yesterday and I am a complete novice so go easy on me :)

>> It came with something that goes on the end of the lens. It screws on the
>> end and is like a zig zag shape, sorry dont know the name. However when I
>> take photos and review them this thing is visible in the shot at the
>> bottom. I cannot rotate it to make it invisible so what is it for and why
>> is it showing in my pictures.
>>
>> Can anyone help please?
>Lens hood I think and its sorted now, user error :)

Just what I was going to tell you. :-)

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

Robert Coe

Jan 31, 2009, 8:48:24 PM1/31/09
On 29 Jan 2009 07:08:06 GMT, rfis...@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
: Samantha Booth <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote:
: >"Samantha Booth" <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote in message
:
: >> Got my D90 yesterday and I am a complete novice so go easy on me :)
: >>
: >> It came with something that goes on the end of the lens. It screws on
: >> the end and is like a zig zag shape, sorry dont know the name. However
: >> when I take photos and review them this thing is visible in the shot
: >> at the bottom. I cannot rotate it to make it invisible so what is it
: >> for and why is it showing in my pictures.
: >>
: >> Can anyone help please?
: >Lens hood I think and its sorted now, user error :)
:
: Just what I was going to tell you. :-)

But why would a lens hood intended for a particular camera be visible in a
photograph taken therewithal?

Bob

John McWilliams

Jan 31, 2009, 9:11:10 PM1/31/09

'Twere 45 degrees off rotation and with Ap wide open, 'twould show as in
heavy vignetting.

--
john mcwilliams

Jürgen Exner

Jan 31, 2009, 9:54:24 PM1/31/09
Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:
>But why would a lens hood intended for a particular camera be visible in a
>photograph taken therewithal?

I've never seen a lens hood for a camera, they were all for a lens or
group of lenses.
And yes, on lenses with high zoom factors the lens hood might get in the
way at very short focal lengths or when not mounted correctly.

jue

Chris Malcolm

Feb 1, 2009, 6:35:02 AM2/1/09

The clue is in the original claim, that it's "visible at the
bottom". That's what happens with a wide enough angle lens with a hood
on used with a pop-up flash. It's not the actual hood that's visible,
it's its shadow. That's one of the reasons the lens hood is made to be
detachable :-)

--
Chris Malcolm

Jürgen Exner

Feb 1, 2009, 9:43:02 AM2/1/09
Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> : >"Samantha Booth" <ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> wrote in message
>> : >> It came with something that goes on the end of the lens. It screws on
>> : >> the end and is like a zig zag shape, sorry dont know the name. However
>> : >> when I take photos and review them this thing is visible in the shot
>> : >> at the bottom. I cannot rotate it to make it invisible so what is it
>> : >> for and why is it showing in my pictures.
>
>The clue is in the original claim, that it's "visible at the
>bottom". That's what happens with a wide enough angle lens with a hood
>on used with a pop-up flash. It's not the actual hood that's visible,
>it's its shadow. That's one of the reasons the lens hood is made to be
>detachable :-)

I'm impressed, I think you nailed it. Your crystal ball is truly very
high quality :-).
The OP already said "user error" but as usually neglected to tell us the
solution to the riddle.

jue

C J Campbell

Feb 1, 2009, 2:06:09 PM2/1/09
On 2009-01-28 02:59:11 -0800, "Samantha Booth"
<ma...@cheekyNOSPAMchurres.com> said:

It is the lens hood, Samantha. You have it mounted crooked.

The irritating thing about this, you understand, is that after you have
taken millions of pictures over many years and know everything that
there is to know about photography, you will still mount (every once in
awhile -- usually for a critical shot) the lens hood crooked. Only from
now on you will know what the problem is when you swear at it. :-)

Seriously, mistakes like this will become more rare with experience.
Hope you are enjoying your new camera!

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

C J Campbell

Feb 1, 2009, 2:12:29 PM2/1/09

Ah. Of course. It could be a crooked lens hood as I opined, but I think
your answer is more likely. The Nikon D90 will have this problem with
the built-in flash even if there is no lens hood, depending on the lens
and how close the subject is. The manual even tells you about it and
what to do about it.

In any event, Samantha, remove the lens hood if you are using the
pop-up flash. If the shadow still appears, move further way from your
subject. If it still appears, then the lens is at too wide of an angle
-- zoom in a bit. A little experimentation will show you how it works.
I use teddy bears for experiments like that. They are a lot more
patient than live models. :-)

Samantha Booth

Feb 1, 2009, 5:29:53 PM2/1/09

"C J Campbell" <christoph...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, sorry, I had the hood on the wrong way round, pointed bit to the bottom
and the inbuilt flash was causing a shadow on the bottom of the picture. I
removed the hood and put it on the right way round and its worked perfectly
ever since. As I said user error. I am very new to this as you can tell I
didn't know it was called a hood lol. Of course having had it a week I am
David Bailey now lol