New foto of my small model ship.

1 view

Alexander Blokhin

Apr 21, 2009, 9:53:17 AM4/21/09

bugbear

Apr 21, 2009, 10:04:41 AM4/21/09
Alexander Blokhin wrote:
> http://modelshipsworld.blogspot.com/2009/04/uss-malone-pc-553.html
>
> Please see!

The models look pretty good, although it's hard to tell
from such poor photographs.

BugBear

bugbear

Apr 21, 2009, 10:27:52 AM4/21/09

John McWilliams

Apr 21, 2009, 12:51:18 PM4/21/09
The latter set is awesome.

Alexander- What is the purpose of your post?

--
john mcwilliams

Twibil

Apr 21, 2009, 3:37:47 PM4/21/09
On Apr 21, 9:51 am, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/burgerbahn/steam.html
>
> The latter set is awesome.

Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.

See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3438725853/sizes/o/

~Pete

tony cooper

Apr 21, 2009, 4:34:57 PM4/21/09

Alexander is evidently a quite skilled model maker. He's chosen a
photographic style that evidently, in his opinion, makes the models
look more like real ships than a sharply focussed photo would. The
examples "bugbear" furnished are very sharp and clear, but the result
is that we clearly know we are looking at scale models.

What purpose does Alexander need? He does good work, he's proud of
it, and he wants to share his efforts. What more purpose does anyone
need in sharing photos?

I really don't understand why people - "bugbear", in this case - feel
the need to knock what they don't particularly like. Unless Alexander
asks for a critique and suggested improvements in technique, STFU
unless you have something positive to say.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John McWilliams

Apr 21, 2009, 5:58:19 PM4/21/09

That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

--
john mcwilliams

Twibil

Apr 21, 2009, 6:43:10 PM4/21/09

Yup. Exactly. But it's an un-needed holdover from the days when these
things were toys that ran on cheap track layed on the living-room
carpet.

On decent trackwork, both locos and cars will stay on the rails with
no problems using either scale or very-close-to-scale flanges, and
since the goal is to make the trains look -and behave- as much like
the prototype as possible, smaller flanges have increasingly gained
popularity with scale modelers; at least in the US.

~Pete

John McWilliams

Apr 21, 2009, 8:12:27 PM4/21/09

So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??
:-)

Some layouts I've seen with banked curves, smooth gradients, etc. don't
need the flanges anywhere near that big.

--
John McWilliams

Twibil

Apr 21, 2009, 9:30:56 PM4/21/09
On Apr 21, 5:12 pm, John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??
> :-)

Close, but no prize: they sell entire wheel-sets, replacement drivers
for locos, and etcetera.

~Pete