Slideshow question

Inez

Mar 11, 2009, 12:53:57 PM3/11/09
I want to do a powerpoint slide show which will be projected on a
screen. Quite a few of the images are scans of medium format
negatives and are of gianormous size, and I am not sure how much I
should reduce them. Unfortunately I won't have a shot using the
projector until it is too late to make changes, so I can't
experiment.

I know this is a rather nebulous question, but what is a good size for
an image to be projected? I'll probably resize them in photoshop, if
that matters.

ray

Mar 11, 2009, 1:03:09 PM3/11/09

Try the resolution of the projecting device - anything more than that
will basically do you do good.

Inez

Mar 11, 2009, 1:11:05 PM3/11/09

Ah! Good, that makes sense!

Bert Hyman

Mar 11, 2009, 1:15:54 PM3/11/09
In
Inez <savagem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yes, it matters. You could simply drop your image files into PowerPoint
and resize them there, but PP stores the files in their original size
and resizes them to your specifications each time you show the slide.

Depending on what kind of computer you're using to run your slide show,
your presentation could take a very long time to load due to the large
file size and then the slides with the large images will take another
eternity to display as PP resizes them.

[At least that's what PP in Office 2000 did; maybe later versions are
smarter about this]

On the other hand, resizing your images outside of PP is an iffy
proposition, since you need to fit your images to fit the slide as
you're composing your presentation anyway.

If you know what the resolution of your projector is, resize as close to
that as you can, but you'll probably still have to tweak the dimensions
after you drop the image into a PP slide. I'd make the image slightly
too big and let PP shrink it, rather than having PP enlarge it.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

John McWilliams

Mar 11, 2009, 1:31:00 PM3/11/09

Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of the
projector at its precise resolution?

--
John McWilliams

Bert Hyman

Mar 11, 2009, 2:15:46 PM3/11/09
In news:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.org John McWilliams
<jp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of
> the projector at its precise resolution?

The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will always
have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.

[I'm not a PP wizard; there might be a way to put raw images into a PP
presentation that I don't know about]

John McWilliams

Mar 11, 2009, 2:26:55 PM3/11/09
Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.org John McWilliams
> <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of
>> the projector at its precise resolution?
>
> The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will always
> have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.

Nonetheless, there must be an optimum size for PPT shows, one which
requires little or no further interpolation by PPT. And one would
sharpen to that.

> [I'm not a PP wizard; there might be a way to put raw images into a PP
> presentation that I don't know about]

Even if one could display RAW images via PPT, one shouldn't: you're
causing PPT a lot of work, and output would not be top quality possible,
as sharpening would be poor in all likelihood.

--
John McWilliams

Inez

Mar 11, 2009, 2:43:17 PM3/11/09
On Mar 11, 11:15 am, Bert Hyman <b...@iphouse.com> wrote:
> Innews:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.orgJohn McWilliams

> <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of
> > the projector at its precise resolution?
>
> The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will always
> have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.

The OP is actually female, but appreciates the advice all the same :)

> [I'm not a PP wizard; there might be a way to put raw images into a PP
> presentation that I don't know about]
>
> --

> Bert Hyman      St. Paul, MN    b...@iphouse.com

ray

Mar 11, 2009, 3:27:25 PM3/11/09
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:15:46 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.org John McWilliams
> <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of the
>> projector at its precise resolution?
>
> The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will always
> have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.

Pretty stupid app, isn't it? Should be a way to do your presentation full
screen.

J. Clarke

Mar 11, 2009, 3:23:36 PM3/11/09

I wouldn't knock myself out trying to get perfect results unless it's going
to be shown in a commercial theater (by "commercial theater" I mean the kind
of place where you pay ten bucks plus the price of popcorn to see
"Watchmen"). Odds are that they won't have whatever projector they told you
that they were going to have. Better to tweak it so that it looks "good
enough" at any resolution than to tune the Hell out of it for one particular
one.

On the other hand, one might want to do both 4:3 and 16:9 or 16:10 versions
so that if wide screen is available you'll be able to make the best use of
it.

J. Clarke

Mar 11, 2009, 3:05:06 PM3/11/09
Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.org John McWilliams
> <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of
>> the projector at its precise resolution?
>
> The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will
> always have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.

Only if the designer of the presentation wants them to. The entire area of
the slide can be used for whatever content one is displaying.

If you're getting borders odds are that you have the aspect ratio of the
slides set to something different from what the monitor is displaying. By
default Powerpoint slides fill a 4:3 screen--there are presets (in the
latest version anyway) for 16:9 and 16:10 in addition to the usual gamut of
paper sizes, and if none of those do it for you you can set a custom size.

> [I'm not a PP wizard; there might be a way to put raw images into a PP
> presentation that I don't know about]

If there's a codec on the system for the format in which they're stored it
treats them like any other image (assuming of course that the codec is
designed accoriding to the rules for Windows codecs and is not proprietary
to a particular application).

If you do an "insert object" and "from file" it will even use a third party
application to open and display the file (assuming that the application has
been written with the proper "hooks" to allow it to be used in that
fashion).

Charles

Mar 11, 2009, 3:41:15 PM3/11/09

"Inez" <savagem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Put the shots into PP and then use the resizing dots to fill the screen.
There is also a crop tool available. Then right-click the picture, go to
format, then select compress and then set the resolution to "Print." This
will muchly reduce the size of the PP show, yet give plenty of resolution
for any viewing method.

Message has been deleted

Mark Roberts

Mar 11, 2009, 5:59:25 PM3/11/09
ray wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:15:46 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> In news:gp8sgk$nj6$1...@reader.motzarella.org John McWilliams
>> <jp...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Why not size the images to the exact proportions and orientation of the
>>> projector at its precise resolution?
>>
>> The OP said he's doing a PowerPoint presentation. A PP slide will always
>> have borders and the like which eat a bit of real estate.
>
>Pretty stupid app, isn't it? Should be a way to do your presentation full
>screen.

There is. You place your image into the PowerPoint "slide" as a
background image. When you run the presentation it displays as full
screen, though you'll have black areas left/right or top/bottom if
your image doesn't match the aspect ratio of the screen (but that's
preferable to either cropping or stretching, IMO).

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

David J Taylor

Mar 12, 2009, 3:48:26 AM3/12/09
Mark Roberts wrote:
[]

> There is. You place your image into the PowerPoint "slide" as a
> background image. When you run the presentation it displays as full
> screen, though you'll have black areas left/right or top/bottom if
> your image doesn't match the aspect ratio of the screen (but that's
> preferable to either cropping or stretching, IMO).

That's an excellent suggestion, Mark. Only one snag with my PowerPoint
2000 - the image is resized to fill the 4:3 aspect ratio of the slide, so
the image aspect ratio is lost. I guess your PP is a more recent version,
or is there an option I've missed?

BTW: I did write my own very simple SlideShow program:
http://www.satsignal.eu/software/imaging.html#SlideShow

Thanks,
David

tmo...@wildblue.net

Mar 12, 2009, 8:34:39 AM3/12/09

I do a lot of scanning for PowerPoint, mostly I scan the images,
generally 35mm slides, at 1200 ppi then set the image size for 10 x
6.667 x100ppi for landscape images and 8x5.3 x100ppi for portrait. My
scanner seems to do better scans at 1200ppi than at 800ppi which would
mean no resizing. For 2 1/4 images I'd scan at 600ppi and see what
happens. Again use 8 inch high as the size factor at 100ppi.

Tom

Mark Roberts

Mar 12, 2009, 8:47:52 AM3/12/09
David J Taylor wrote:

>Mark Roberts wrote:
>[]
>> There is. You place your image into the PowerPoint "slide" as a
>> background image. When you run the presentation it displays as full
>> screen, though you'll have black areas left/right or top/bottom if
>> your image doesn't match the aspect ratio of the screen (but that's
>> preferable to either cropping or stretching, IMO).
>
>That's an excellent suggestion, Mark. Only one snag with my PowerPoint
>2000 - the image is resized to fill the 4:3 aspect ratio of the slide, so
>the image aspect ratio is lost. I guess your PP is a more recent version,
>or is there an option I've missed?

Actually, my home computer has PowerPoint 1997!
But it behaves exactly as you describe - I didn't notice at first
because I used an image that was 3:4 aspect ratio to begin with *and*
(thankfully) PowerPoint doesn't do any further stretching when you
display the finished presentation on a widescreen monitor.

So the solution in PowerPoint, it seems, is for you to do your own
cropping & resizing to get your image into a 3:4 aspect ratio and
*then* use it as a background image.

>BTW: I did write my own very simple SlideShow program:
> http://www.satsignal.eu/software/imaging.html#SlideShow

Interesting. I'll have a look.

J. Clarke

Mar 12, 2009, 12:02:36 PM3/12/09

In Powerpoint 2003 and 2007 one can just "insert picture" then drag it
around however one wants to and resize however one wants to--to resize while
not changing aspect ratio use one of the corner buttons to resize rather
than one in the center of an edge. No need to make it a background.

David J Taylor

Mar 12, 2009, 12:58:17 PM3/12/09
J. Clarke wrote:
[]

> In Powerpoint 2003 and 2007 one can just "insert picture" then drag it
> around however one wants to and resize however one wants to--to
> resize while not changing aspect ratio use one of the corner buttons
> to resize rather than one in the center of an edge. No need to make
> it a background.

Same in earlier versions, but it would be neater if you could even avoid
the resizing and positioning.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come along and told us how Open Office can,
of course, do this and far more. Even if it can, it makes a right mess of
importing TIFF files, getting them far too dark. Check before using.

Cheers,
David

J. Clarke

Mar 12, 2009, 2:35:38 PM3/12/09
David J Taylor wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
> []
>> In Powerpoint 2003 and 2007 one can just "insert picture" then drag
>> it around however one wants to and resize however one wants to--to
>> resize while not changing aspect ratio use one of the corner buttons
>> to resize rather than one in the center of an edge. No need to make
>> it a background.
>
> Same in earlier versions, but it would be neater if you could even
> avoid the resizing and positioning.

Best bet, of course, is to size to the resolution of the monitor you're
going to be using, if you have that information. But someone on the road
doing presentations with client-provided projectors doesn't usually have
that luxury.

> I'm surprised someone hasn't come along and told us how Open Office
> can, of course, do this and far more. Even if it can, it makes a
> right mess of importing TIFF files, getting them far too dark. Check
> before using.

Just for hohos tried it with OpenOffice and it works pretty much the same
way that Powerpoint does, with JPEGs anyway.

David J Taylor

Mar 12, 2009, 4:11:40 PM3/12/09
J. Clarke wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]

>> I'm surprised someone hasn't come along and told us how Open Office
>> can, of course, do this and far more. Even if it can, it makes a
>> right mess of importing TIFF files, getting them far too dark. Check
>> before using.
>
> Just for hohos tried it with OpenOffice and it works pretty much the
> same way that Powerpoint does, with JPEGs anyway.

Yes, that was my experience as well.

David

Robert Coe

Mar 14, 2009, 12:39:15 PM3/14/09
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Inez <savagem...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
: I want to do a powerpoint slide show which will be projected on a

Projectors tend to be pretty primitive. Most won't do better than 1024 x 768.

But you don't really have to reduce your pictures. Powerpoint will do that for
you as it constructs the image for the screen.

Bob