Repair or replace Canon S60?

BCDrums

Jan 19, 2009, 3:28:54 PM1/19/09
I dropped my Canon S60 and it has a purple stripe in the viewscreen
and on the photos. A Canon repair (if they can make it) will be $149.
Should I repair this camera, or use the $149 toward something similar?

What I like about the S60: it has a wide angle lens (28mm equivalent)
and it uses the ubiquitous NB-5L Canon battery, same as our XTi DSLR.
This means all batteries fit each camera. Also, it has an optical
viewfinder, which I think is a must for outdoor use.

What I don't like: The S60 is large for a pocket-type camera, and has
dreadful shutter lag.

This camera cost about $500 new, and I won't spend that much on a
replacement. Can I get a Canon with a wide angle lens for $250-300?

Thanks!
BC

PixelPix

Jan 19, 2009, 5:04:10 PM1/19/09

The Canon S60 is one of many cams that uses a "known to be faulty"
Sony sensor. Mine gave up (without suffering a bump) and 1/2 my image
tuned purple.

How severe was the drop? If not severe, perhaps the cam would have
survived if it had a decent sensor?

Canon were replacing the effected sensors free & out of warranty....
"perhaps" you may be able to get it replaced for free, if you feel
that the fall should have been survivable, as the resulting damage may
be as much (or more) to do with the sensor as the fall itself.

If you have to spend the bucks though, I would suggest a new cam.
The S60 is only 5mp and quite old tech these days.... I don't even
use mine now, in fact I gave it to my Father In-law who's S50 vanished
from luggage while traveling.

Cheers

Rusty

BCDrums

Jan 19, 2009, 5:51:31 PM1/19/09

The camera was in a nice Tamrac belt-mount case. The case fell off my
suitcase, about 3' high, and landed on its top, the one part that
isn't padded. There is a distortion in the case at one of the joints.
Maybe it would have survived with a different sensor, but it would be
hard to make that claim.

This camera has another problem, too: when its in Auto mode, it will
go into movie mode on its own. I look back at my stils to find I have
a couple of little moveis scattered in with them.

BC

PixelPix

Jan 19, 2009, 9:55:05 PM1/19/09

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade then.

Fred

Jan 21, 2009, 9:10:02 AM1/21/09
"BCDrums" <bcd...@comcast.net> wrote in message
You could always do what I did, and buy an unused S80 off eBay.

I had an S30 and progressed to the S60, which I'm still using (I also bought
an "as new" spare one). The S60 is still working, despite the beeper having
packed up a couple of years ago in a heavy downpour. When the S60 finally
gives up the ghost, I'll either use the spare one I bought, or the S80,
which I'm loathe to use in case it gets damaged, as it's a classic in mint
condition.

I wouldn't contemplate a camera without an optical viewfinder (which is why
I bought the spare S60 and S80), which pretty much rules out all modern
compacts. Plus I'm not into the pixel war, resulting in ever more sensor
noise and aggressive processing to smooth out the noise (and detail).

AR

Neil Harrington

Jan 21, 2009, 3:21:15 PM1/21/09

"Fred" <fred...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I had an S30 and progressed to the S60, which I'm still using (I also
> bought an "as new" spare one). The S60 is still working, despite the
> beeper having packed up a couple of years ago in a heavy downpour. When
> the S60 finally gives up the ghost, I'll either use the spare one I
> bought, or the S80, which I'm loathe to use in case it gets damaged, as
> it's a classic in mint condition.
>
> I wouldn't contemplate a camera without an optical viewfinder (which is
> why I bought the spare S60 and S80), which pretty much rules out all
> modern compacts. Plus I'm not into the pixel war, resulting in ever more
> sensor noise and aggressive processing to smooth out the noise (and
> detail).

Just so. My newest compact cameras are 10 and 12 megapixels and I think
that's ridiculous, in a small camera. I set 'em all to 5 megapixels and that
works fine, though I think at least theoretically it should be better if the
sensor were only 5 mp to begin with -- since reducing the resolution to that
obviously means splitting some of the pixels between photosites, and that
can't be helping anything.

I'm basically a Nikon guy but I do have a Canon S60 myself, and like it a
lot. Don't really get to use it much, but it's such a nice piece of work
I'll probably keep it forever.

Ockham's Razor

Jan 21, 2009, 6:36:26 PM1/21/09
In article <D4idnQjJA8tfHurU...@giganews.com>,
"Neil Harrington" <sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

> "Fred" <fred...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm basically a Nikon guy but I do have a Canon S60 myself

Ditto and happy as a clam with the S60. Can't remember how old it is.
Can you help me with that?

--
I contend we are both atheists - I just believe in
one fewer god than you do.

BCDrums

Jan 21, 2009, 9:53:32 PM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 6:36 pm, Ockham's Razor <Menc...@pdx.net> wrote:
> In article <D4idnQjJA8tfHurUnZ2dnUVZ_o7in...@giganews.com>,
>  "Neil Harrington" <sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:
>
> > "Fred" <fredap...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm basically a Nikon guy but I do have a Canon S60 myself
>
> Ditto and happy as a clam with the S60.  Can't remember how old it is.
> Can you help me with that?

The S60 was current in 2004.

BC

BCDrums

Jan 22, 2009, 11:31:55 AM1/22/09
On Jan 21, 9:10 am, "Fred" <fredap...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "BCDrums" <bcdr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Getting an S80 sounds like a fine idea. There currently are no unused
copies on ebay. Do you recall how much you paid for yours?

BC

Fred

Jan 23, 2009, 5:16:24 AM1/23/09
"BCDrums" <bcd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

BC

I'm in the UK, so prices will be considerably higher over here anyway
(although I don't recall what I paid for the S80 now - it was nearly a year
ago). There was a company at the time selling brand new S80s on "Buy it
now"on eBay, but they were quite expensive. I purchased mine on an auction
from a private seller, but it had never been used, apart from a couple of
test photos to make sure that it worked.

AR

Fred

Jan 23, 2009, 10:23:25 AM1/23/09
"Fred" <fred...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I've just checked how much I paid for the S80, it was £180, which is
equivalent to $246 using today's exchange rates. That may sound like a lot
of money, but it's a
lot of camera, and they were even more expensive from the dealer that was
selling them on eBay at the time.

I've just checked eBay, and there's a 'brand new' boxed S80 for sale in the
USA for $400 (Buy it now) or Best offer, and there are two offers on it
currently.

The prices are still holding up very well for these cameras because there
was
never a replacement for the S80, it was the end of the line for the
pocketable PowerShot 'S' series, with no equivalent replacement ever having
been made.

AR

Robert Coe

Jan 24, 2009, 9:54:39 AM1/24/09
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:21:15 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <sec...@illumnati.net>
wrote:
:
: "Fred" <fred...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Does the S60 have that gimmicky sliding door over the lens? That door jamming
is what seems to have finally done in my wife's old S50 (although what
actually made her give up on it in favor of a DSLR was its horrific shutter
lag).

Bob

Fred

Jan 26, 2009, 7:08:28 AM1/26/09
"Robert Coe" <b...@1776.COM> wrote in message
Yes the S60 does have that "gimmicky sliding door", but I think the S60 body
was redesigned from the S30/40/50 one. The door on my S30 started to go a
bit wonky latterly, but my daughter's still using it ok 7 years down the
line. The door on the S60 isn't as flimsy as the earlier design, and mine's
still working fine after 5 years of intensive use. The shutter lag is
liveable with as long as you're aware of it, it just requires a bit of
predictive picture taking for moving subjects.

BCDrums

Feb 6, 2009, 9:02:53 AM2/6/09
On Jan 21, 9:10 am, "Fred" <fredap...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "BCDrums" <bcdr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >I dropped my CanonS60and it has a purple stripe in the viewscreen

> > and on the photos. A Canon repair (if they can make it) will be $149.
> > Should I repair this camera, or use the $149 toward something similar?
>
> > What I like about theS60: it has a wide angle lens (28mm equivalent)

> > and it uses the ubiquitous NB-5L Canon battery, same as our XTi DSLR.
> > This means all batteries fit each camera. Also, it has an optical
> > viewfinder, which I think is a must for outdoor use.
>
> > What I don't like: TheS60is large for a pocket-type camera, and has

> > dreadful shutter lag.
>
> > This camera cost about $500 new, and I won't spend that much on a
> > replacement. Can I get a Canon with a wide angle lens for $250-300?
>
> > Thanks!
> > BC
>
> You could always do what I did, and buy an unused S80 off eBay.
>
> I had an S30 and progressed to theS60, which I'm still using (I also bought
> an "as new" spare one). TheS60is still working, despite the beeper having

> packed up a couple of years ago in a heavy downpour. When theS60finally
> gives up the ghost, I'll either use the spare one I bought, or the S80,
> which I'm loathe to use in case it gets damaged, as it's a classic in mint
> condition.
>
> I wouldn't contemplate a camera without an optical viewfinder (which is why
> I bought the spareS60and S80), which pretty much rules out all modern

> compacts. Plus I'm not into the pixel war, resulting in ever more sensor
> noise and aggressive processing to smooth out the noise (and detail).
>
> AR- Hide quoted text -

Here's an update: I Called Canon, the customer service rep was very
knowledgeable and urged me to send the camera in for repair; he said
the sensor problem might be covered, even though the camera was out of
warranty. I did that, and got a note back that Canon will repair it at
no charge. They sent a UPS shipping label too. Will wait to see how
the camera is when it gets back.

Also, I did bid (but lost) on an S80 on Ebay. Prices right now for a
used S80 are $180ish. I will be tracking them, and will look to get
one eventually.

BC

Fred

Feb 9, 2009, 5:01:43 AM2/9/09
"BCDrums" <bcd...@comcast.net> wrote in message

BC

Great news about the S60 (it's definitely worth getting it repaired,
especially if it's free). That sounds like excellent customer service from
Canon USA, especially as the camera was well outside the warranty period.

$180 for an S80 sounds like a bargain to me, it just goes to prove the old
maxim that dollar prices in the USA, always seem to equate to the same
numeric amount in GBP, hence the phrase "Rip off Britain" : (

AR