Re: Lithium & future long term battery cost

Message has been deleted

Alan Smithee

Feb 4, 2009, 10:39:59 AM2/4/09
"Savageduck" <savag...@savage.net> wrote in message
news:2009020319022327544-savageduck@savagenet...
> With the lastest moves from an oil based economy to a "green" one, the
> current trend seem to be ripe to establish Bolivia as the "Lithium Saudi
> Arabia" !!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/world/americas/03lithium.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008700362_lithium03.html
> http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/3004099
>
> We
> can only hope that this does not trickle down to include price rises for
> digital cameras of all types. Perhaps the time has come to develop a new
> battery type or power source to give us an early into to alternatives,
> rather than being locked into one energy source as we are with oil.
>
> This might also be an opportune time to invest in lithium futures!!

Like these?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/angstrom-power-touts-hydrogen-fuel-cells-for-cellphones/

What I find Ironic is that Abu Dhabi are creating a zero carbon emission
city (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City) using money made from fossil
fuels. ;-)

SteveG

Feb 4, 2009, 2:33:22 PM2/4/09
Savageduck wrote:
> With the lastest moves from an oil based economy to a "green" one, the
> current trend seem to be ripe to establish Bolivia as the "Lithium Saudi
> Arabia" !!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/world/americas/03lithium.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008700362_lithium03.html
> http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/3004099
>
> We
> can only hope that this does not trickle down to include price rises for
> digital cameras of all types. Perhaps the time has come to develop a new
> battery type or power source to give us an early into to alternatives,
> rather than being locked into one energy source as we are with oil.
>
> This might also be an opportune time to invest in lithium futures!!

I'm working on the designs for an atomic power source to replace
batteries in consumer electronics. It uses Americium reclaimed/recycled
from old smoke detectors - gotta have green credentials to get investors
interested - but I have one very fundamental question: how much Am241 do
I need to get a fusion reaction going?

I'd ask the NRPB here in the UK but I'm frightened that they'll think
I'm a terrorist and have me arrested :-))

--
Regards

Steve G

Message has been deleted

Twibil

Feb 5, 2009, 2:30:24 AM2/5/09
On Feb 4, 5:59 pm, Savageduck <savaged...@savage.net> wrote:

> > What I find Ironic is that Abu Dhabi are creating a zero carbon
> > emission city (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City) using money
> > made from fossil fuels.  ;-)
>

> Now that is truly ironic. I see they aren't able to quite meet their
> goal at night. They also have a high degree of hypocrisy with the
> aluminum smelter and the F1/GP racetrack.

Smelter, yup, but an F1 track? Sure, a race weekend contributes some
uncountably tiny percentage to the world's daily c02 output, but at
the same time it provides *dramatic* photographic opportunities!

I mean, *get your priorities in order*, man!

~Pete

Savageduck

Feb 5, 2009, 8:56:13 AM2/5/09

I know, I know! Point taken.

I was just pointing at the irony of the situation. I am an avid F1
(though the new track designs leave much to be desired???) and Le Mans
series fan (NASCAR does nil for me) and Laguna Seca is just up the road
from me.