battery power vs. digital memory - which accessory to buy first?

orida70

Mar 25, 2009, 12:04:34 PM3/25/09
I think getting additional battery power is more important than buying
more memory cards. For one thing, a person can always review their
images and free up more memory by erasing pictures they don't think
are as important; however, when your [last] battery is dead, you're
totally out of business.

Read my review:

http://roycebair.blogspot.com/2009/03/camera-battery-power-more-important.html

This blog article is also about finding cheaper Li-ion batteries for
your camera, that are 1/8 the cost of the OEM.

Royce Bair
YOUR PHOTO VISION
http://roycebair.blogspot.com/

ray

Mar 25, 2009, 12:30:07 PM3/25/09

It's also true that by deleting random photos on the card, the chance of
scrambling the card altogether is greatly increased. Better, IMHO, to
download all the photos then reformat the card in the camera. Cards are
so inexpensive, with the exception of some proprietary ones, that it
certainly makes sense to have several.

Dave Cohen

Mar 25, 2009, 2:37:28 PM3/25/09

I couldn't be bothered to read the article beyond the first few lines. I
think I stopped at the line 'Few people think about getting extra
rechargeable batteries for their camera'. Personally I've no idea what
percentage of people fall into that category and I strongly suspect
neither do you. However, I am quite confident people are aware that
rechargeable batteries need to be recharged from time to time (the name
gives it away) and are quite capable at arriving at a suitable strategy
to deal with the problem.
My camera uses AA's and my chargers have car adapters.
Dave Cohen

Wally

Mar 25, 2009, 1:48:16 PM3/25/09

It makes sense to have one 16 gig card. That should be enough for most
photo sessions, or several days of vacation. Leave it in the camera
until you are safely back at the computer.

Changing cards in the field risks dropping them or losing them. You
will mix them up. If you have several cards and more than one camera,
your file numbering will get screwed up.

And I agree you need an extra battery so you can keep shooting until
you get back to your charger.

Wally

ray

Mar 25, 2009, 3:38:09 PM3/25/09

FWIW - I have a backup battery. I also have three memory cards - less
capacity than 16gb. The three cards cost significantly less than the
battery. Typically, I don't need to change either. I'm in the habit of
going back to motel or travel trailer each evening and downloading the
day's photos.

bugbear

Mar 26, 2009, 8:24:53 AM3/26/09
Wally wrote:
> It makes sense to have one 16 gig card. That should be enough for most
> photo sessions, or several days of vacation. Leave it in the camera
> until you are safely back at the computer.
>
> Changing cards in the field risks dropping them or losing them. You
> will mix them up. If you have several cards and more than one camera,
> your file numbering will get screwed up.

Like many people I have one camera.

I do not like the idea, on an "important" vacation
of having all my photos on one card.

If the camera is lost or stolen, you lose all
you photos, which may be irreplaceable.

I have a 8 Mpixel camera, and use multiple 2Gb cards.

Changing cards without dropping them does not require
massive dexterity!

BugBear

whisky-dave

Mar 26, 2009, 8:32:49 AM3/26/09

"orida70" <ori...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>I think getting additional battery power is more important than buying
> more memory cards.

Doesn;t that depend on what you already have.

> For one thing, a person can always review their
> images and free up more memory by erasing pictures they don't think
> are as important; however, when your [last] battery is dead, you're
> totally out of business.

Not necessarily as my dad found out when trying to take a picture of a 300
year old church, people coming and going the lighting changing....
Not a great problem since the church isn;t likely to disappear in the next
few days,
but what if you're photographing a sporting event like football, soccer,
motor racing
are you really going to be able to scan through and decide which are the
good images,
at the very least in focus on the relatively small LCDs even DLSRs have.
Your sure you wouldn't miss the all important shot of whoever happens to
cross
the finish line, or you miss the vital goal, touchdown or accident.

> Read my review:

I'd prefer to take a spare can of beer as I know I will run out of beer
first ;-)

But you are right you should always have enough memory cards and battery
power for the job, oh and beer of course :)

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 26, 2009, 5:47:25 PM3/26/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember orida70 <ori...@gmail.com> saying
something like:

>I think getting additional battery power is more important than buying
>more memory cards. For one thing, a person can always review their
>images and free up more memory by erasing pictures they don't think
>are as important; however, when your [last] battery is dead, you're
>totally out of business.
>
>Read my review:
>
>http://roycebair.blogspot.com/2009/03/camera-battery-power-more-important.html
>
>This blog article is also about finding cheaper Li-ion batteries for
>your camera, that are 1/8 the cost of the OEM.

And this is nothing to do with you recommending a particular battery
comepany or the battery-linked Google ads on your blog page?