Can you see this Flash site?

Focus

Feb 3, 2009, 8:00:38 AM2/3/09
A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing happened.
It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it.
Can you tell me what happens and what web program you use?
Thanks:

http://atlantic-diesel.com/Station/

--
Focus

Gadi Ben-Avi

Feb 3, 2009, 8:18:01 AM2/3/09
After I installed Shockwave, it looks like it works.
I use windows XP pro SP3, Avant Browser and IE7.
Works OK in Chrome and FireFox.

Gadi
"Focus" <n...@nowhere.pt> wrote in message

pboud

Feb 3, 2009, 8:29:48 AM2/3/09
Requires flash player 11.. Once installed, works fine..

XP home, Ie 8

tony cooper

Feb 3, 2009, 8:58:31 AM2/3/09

Using a PC, WindowsXP, and Firefox, it loads after updating Flash, but
takes forever to load...and I'm on cable. Muddy, dark images, but it
works.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ray

Feb 3, 2009, 10:56:33 AM2/3/09

Using Epiphany on Gentoo - I see a big square with "click here to
download plugin".

Using Epiphany on Ubuntu - same thing.

Dave Cohen

Feb 3, 2009, 12:01:13 PM2/3/09
Same here. Had to install flash player manually in firefox. Poor image.
Dave Cohen

Dave Cohen

Feb 3, 2009, 12:07:14 PM2/3/09

Take that back (a little). After I posted and after a delay, the image
started to display as a movie. Sort of slow to respond and I'm on DSL,
but it does work.
Dave Cohen

Jürgen Exner

Feb 3, 2009, 2:02:58 PM2/3/09
"Focus" <n...@nowhere.pt> wrote:
>A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing happened.
>It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it.
>Can you tell me what happens

An emtpy frame shows up with some title above and an impressum below.
That's all because ...

> and what web program you use?

... the Flashblock Addon for Firefox is very effectiv in blocking
Flash-invested web sites.

jue

D-Mac

Feb 3, 2009, 2:15:04 PM2/3/09
Focus wrote:

Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

tn...@mucks.net

Feb 3, 2009, 2:42:48 PM2/3/09
On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:15:04 +0000 (UTC), "D-Mac"
<alien...@y7mail.com> wrote:

>Focus wrote:
>
>> A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing
>> happened. It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it. Can you tell me
>> what happens and what web program you use? Thanks:
>>
>> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Station/
>

>Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!

What is the difference between the Adobe Flash player and the
Adobe Shockwave Flash player?

D-Mac

Feb 3, 2009, 3:24:01 PM2/3/09
tn...@mucks.net wrote:

I have no idea but I know Shockwave is forbidden on the networks the
service company I use, maintains. If it's good enough for my system
admin to advise me not to let it be installed, then it won't be.

Why have a dog and do all the barking yourself? I pay them to make sure
my network runs efficiently and is secure, not to give me an in-depth
discussion on the stuff they don't like to see on a network.

I think it is in the way shockwave can be used to transmit data. (phone
home). but I'm not sure and not interested in finding out. If you want
to display movies, there are other ways to do it.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

4/02/2009 6:18:17 AM

Focus

Feb 3, 2009, 3:27:19 PM2/3/09

"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

Movie? What movie?
It's a 3D castle where you can walk around. Well, anybody but you ;-)

--
Focus

Focus

Feb 3, 2009, 4:10:12 PM2/3/09

"Focus" <n...@nowhere.pt> wrote in message

Everybody thanks for your contribution!

--
Focus

tony cooper

Feb 3, 2009, 5:35:27 PM2/3/09

I dunno if it's a movie or not, but it moves like a movie unless you
press the space bar.

Focus

Feb 3, 2009, 5:59:21 PM2/3/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

It's called the demo mode ;-)

--
Focus

Paul Furman

Feb 3, 2009, 6:10:17 PM2/3/09

Firefox on vista and even after a manual install it didn't work.

Then IE took forever installing shockwave, the load was slow & I just
got a tiny dark picture that doesn't *do* anything.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Paul Furman

Feb 3, 2009, 6:13:30 PM2/3/09

Spacebar doesn't do anything.
Shockwave tried to install a free Norton antivirus thing too... bleh!

Troy Piggins

Feb 3, 2009, 6:36:42 PM2/3/09
* tn...@mucks.net wrote :
>* D-Mac wrote:

>>* Focus wrote:
>>
>>> A few people complained that they couldn't see my site or nothing
>>> happened. It's a 3D castle with some pictures in it. Can you tell me
>>> what happens and what web program you use? Thanks:
>>>
>>> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Station/
>>
>>Not without shockwave and I ain't installing it!
>
> What is the difference between the Adobe Flash player and the
> Adobe Shockwave Flash player?

Shockwave is slower and more complex, used for online games etc.
See how the link above looks like 3D game graphics?

Flash is faster to load and simpler, more for 2D type stuff.

And both of them are horribly slow and bloated for loading and
viewing web galleries. The example posted above might be mildly
clever in concept, but the novelty wears off because it takes so
long to load, and in the end the thumbnails are too small and
slow to get to for any real appreciation. Kudos for the original
idea, though.

--
Troy Piggins

dwight

Feb 3, 2009, 7:33:54 PM2/3/09
0"Focus" <n...@nowhere.pt> wrote in message
> [...]

Ah, just because you CAN do a thing does not mean that you SHOULD do that
thing.

Okay, looks like I now have the latest Shockwave. I'm using the beta IE8 on
a Vista 64-bit laptop, and the process of clicking through, installing
Shockwave through several admin popups, then waiting for the demo to load,
was just not worth my time. I only did it because... well... because you
asked. Otherwise, I'd have left that site at the first sign that I had to do
anything to proceed.

I understand the video game approach (don't care for it, but understand it),
but it's obviously not yet up to snuff. Even with cable internet, it's much
too slow for showing off photos.

Pick another presentation.

dwight

Bigguy

Feb 4, 2009, 6:09:52 AM2/4/09
Can't see it - don't want Flash or Shockwave on my PC thanks... they can
both run malicious scripting.

Noons

Feb 4, 2009, 7:58:14 AM2/4/09

You know what really gets me?
All these IT expert folks who run heaps of AV stuff in their computers,
supposedly in an informed manner, so that their systems are free from malware,
and who promptly click on a link that installs unknown plugins on a site never
seen before, AND they merrily do it!

Like HECK, I'll ever click a link from an unknown site saying: "click here to
install <whatever>"!
Sure, it's gonna happen.
Dream on...

ray

Feb 4, 2009, 11:19:50 AM2/4/09

The point I'd be getting from all this posts is that although you think
glitz is really cool; content is king!

Frank ess

Feb 4, 2009, 12:48:19 PM2/4/09

To paraphrase that conclusion:

"Flash" pages are self-gratification, or
Spilling your seed on sterile ground.

Feels good, but no posterity.

--
Frank ess

"I can't sing,
but I know how to,
which is quite different."
-- Noel Coward

Troy Piggins

Feb 4, 2009, 3:26:45 PM2/4/09
* Noons wrote :

As I understand it, the problem isn't the shockwave application
that the site is running (eg the above web gallery application).
If you have the official shockwave player plugin installed from a
reliable source, like from the official adobe site, you should be
right.

It's when you don't have the plugin installed, and go to a site
that requires it and you get the message on that site to click to
install the plugin. Then you're potentially downloading an
executable from an untrusted/unknown source and if the site is
malicious, the plugin download could contain malware. Most
probably not, but some could.

That's a gamble I'm not willing to take, and that's why you
should only install software from a trusted source.

But viewing the actual flash or shockwave application is pretty
safe. Well, I've never had a problem.

But I'm tough. How tough? Troy's so tough, he doesn't get
viruses. Viruses get Troy. :)

--
Troy Piggins

Mr.T

Feb 4, 2009, 8:35:05 PM2/4/09

"Troy Piggins" <usene...@piggo.com> wrote in message

> That's a gamble I'm not willing to take, and that's why you
> should only install software from a trusted source.

I agree, and since I don't trust Adobe shockwave, I don't bother installing
it! :-)

Here's a tip, if you want everyone to be able to view your site, you simply
offer a non flash alternative. Why so many web designers find that too
difficult is beyond me. They obviously have no idea some people are still on
dial-up either, or don't care for their business!

MrT.

Troy Piggins

Feb 4, 2009, 9:29:36 PM2/4/09
* Mr.T wrote :

Totally agree and I said so in my first post in this thread. I
will never use flash, shockwave, or even javascript on any web
page I write.

--
Troy Piggins

Noons

Feb 5, 2009, 5:36:38 AM2/5/09
Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 5/02/2009 7:26 AM:

> It's when you don't have the plugin installed, and go to a site
> that requires it and you get the message on that site to click to
> install the plugin. Then you're potentially downloading an
> executable from an untrusted/unknown source and if the site is
> malicious, the plugin download could contain malware. Most
> probably not, but some could.

Not saying that is the case here but yes, that is precisely
the problem.

Here is this site from God-only-knows-who, with a nice little button that will
install the software one needs to read it.

Right... Here, kitty-kitty-kitty...

> But viewing the actual flash or shockwave application is pretty
> safe. Well, I've never had a problem.

A few million owners of malware-infected PCs said precisely that...

> But I'm tough. How tough? Troy's so tough, he doesn't get
> viruses. Viruses get Troy. :)

Aye...

Pete D

Feb 7, 2009, 2:48:35 PM2/7/09

"Bigguy" <big...@gmail.com> wrote in message

So can jpegs but I bet you use them.

J. Clarke

Feb 7, 2009, 4:27:07 PM2/7/09

That exploit was discovered in 2004 and unless you haven't updated
your system since then it's been long since closed. No JPEG viewer
should be able to run code contained in the JPEG. Flash and shockwave
however are designed specifically to run code.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)