Which smart phone has the best camera?

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 12:22:23 AM2/25/09
Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?

John McWilliams

Feb 25, 2009, 2:48:01 AM2/25/09
Paul Furman wrote:
> Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?

iPhone, uPhone, weallPhone!

- =
--
John McWilliams

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 3:18:48 AM2/25/09
John McWilliams wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?
>
> iPhone, uPhone, weallPhone!
>
> - =

I was going to get a nice compact camera but I could really use a web
capable phone too... more than a spare camera. I only have so many pockets.

Richard Anacker

Feb 25, 2009, 5:14:40 AM2/25/09
Am 25.02.2009 09:18, schrieb Paul Furman:
> I was going to get a nice compact camera but I could really use a web
> capable phone too... more than a spare camera. I only have so many pockets.

Sony-Ericsson K-type-mobiles haver nice build-ins-cameras. The k810

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/k810i?lc=de&cc=de

is a quite nice one.

richie

TheRealSteve

Feb 25, 2009, 7:14:58 AM2/25/09

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:22:23 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?

There's quite a few smart phones that have high megapixel counts. But
the one that consistently gets the best ratings for photo quality by
far is the Motorola Zine ZN5.

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/ZN5/

The new Samsung Memoir looks pretty cool but I saw a review where the
photo quality wasn't so great and I personally don't like the full
touch screen phones like the Memoir and iPhone that don't have real
keys.

Steve

John McWilliams

Feb 25, 2009, 11:12:50 AM2/25/09

Dunno if my light hearted reply was taken only for amusement, but the
camera in the newer iPhones
is quite decent. I particularly like the auto GPS capture, which
Lightroom displays, linking to Google maps by a click.

Mail and web are superlative.

--
John McWilliams

Deep Reset

Feb 25, 2009, 12:57:19 PM2/25/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

> Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?

Vertu Ascent Ti.
Beats iPhone hands-down.

Richard Anacker

Feb 25, 2009, 1:58:22 PM2/25/09
Am 25.02.2009 18:57, schrieb Deep Reset:

> Vertu Ascent Ti

LOL.

5000€

richie

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 5:11:09 PM2/25/09

Yes I recall mention of their nice camera. Is it any good for web & email?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Sony-Ericsson++k810
Autofocus & flash... my current razr doesn't have any focus <g>.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 5:20:23 PM2/25/09
TheRealSteve wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:22:23 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?
>
> There's quite a few smart phones that have high megapixel counts. But
> the one that consistently gets the best ratings for photo quality by
> far is the Motorola Zine ZN5.
>
> http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/ZN5/

KODAK 5-megapixel Camera, auto-focus, low light optimized with Xenon flash
Multi-shot mode
Capture and edit modes: panorama, grayscale, sepia, negative, reddish,
greenish, blueish
Focal length: 5.86mm. Aperture: 2.8/5.6.

> The new Samsung Memoir looks pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-rHVyAk6s
8MP with a (relatively) big lens

> but I saw a review where the
> photo quality wasn't so great and I personally don't like the full
> touch screen phones like the Memoir and iPhone that don't have real
> keys.

I think I'd prefer a large touch screen... though I haven't tried one.

TheRealSteve

Feb 25, 2009, 7:03:46 PM2/25/09

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:20:23 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>TheRealSteve wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:22:23 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Or which camera phone has the best web/email interface?
>>
>> There's quite a few smart phones that have high megapixel counts. But
>> the one that consistently gets the best ratings for photo quality by
>> far is the Motorola Zine ZN5.
>>
>> http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/ZN5/
>
>KODAK 5-megapixel Camera, auto-focus, low light optimized with Xenon flash
>Multi-shot mode
>Capture and edit modes: panorama, grayscale, sepia, negative, reddish,
>greenish, blueish
>Focal length: 5.86mm. Aperture: 2.8/5.6.

That's the one. It really is probably the only cellphone that gives
image quality of a dedicated P&S camera. The others have the same or
more resolution but more noise, less clarity, poorer colors, etc.

It also has all the smartphone features like full HTML compliant web
browser, email, WiFi, etc.

>> The new Samsung Memoir looks pretty cool
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-rHVyAk6s
>8MP with a (relatively) big lens
>
>> but I saw a review where the
>> photo quality wasn't so great and I personally don't like the full
>> touch screen phones like the Memoir and iPhone that don't have real
>> keys.
>
>I think I'd prefer a large touch screen... though I haven't tried one.

Might be fun and cool looking, but wait until you try typing on one
without concentrating on the screen. Plus the photo quality isn't as
good.

Steve

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 7:38:31 PM2/25/09
TheRealSteve wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:20:23 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:
>
>> TheRealSteve wrote:

>>> There's quite a few smart phones that have high megapixel counts. But
>>> the one that consistently gets the best ratings for photo quality by
>>> far is the Motorola Zine ZN5.
>>>
>>> http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/ZN5/
>> KODAK 5-megapixel Camera, auto-focus, low light optimized with Xenon flash
>> Multi-shot mode
>> Capture and edit modes: panorama, grayscale, sepia, negative, reddish,
>> greenish, blueish
>> Focal length: 5.86mm. Aperture: 2.8/5.6.
>
> That's the one. It really is probably the only cellphone that gives
> image quality of a dedicated P&S camera. The others have the same or
> more resolution but more noise, less clarity, poorer colors, etc.
>
> It also has all the smartphone features like full HTML compliant web
> browser, email, WiFi, etc.

Thanks for your comments, though I really don't think I'd enjoy browsing
with a button and definitely not typing with a number pad! The larger
display on a touch screen sounds so much better. I've seen people zoom &
pan web pages with iphones and it looks awesome.

>>> The new Samsung Memoir looks pretty cool
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-rHVyAk6s
>> 8MP with a (relatively) big lens
>>
>>> but I saw a review where the
>>> photo quality wasn't so great and I personally don't like the full
>>> touch screen phones like the Memoir and iPhone that don't have real
>>> keys.
>> I think I'd prefer a large touch screen... though I haven't tried one.
>
> Might be fun and cool looking, but wait until you try typing on one
> without concentrating on the screen. Plus the photo quality isn't as
> good.
>
> Steve

TheRealSteve

Feb 25, 2009, 9:23:56 PM2/25/09

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:38:31 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

The iPhone user interface is great. Much better than the rest. I
tried it and the Blackberry Storm and the iPhone is much better. But
if you're looking for high quality pictures from a smartphone and can
give up the big screen then the Motorola Zine ZN5 is the way to go.

Steve

Paul Furman

Feb 25, 2009, 10:41:46 PM2/25/09

How about something like this:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=Samsung+Omnia+HD
That huge screen is very appealing...

> But
> if you're looking for high quality pictures from a smartphone and can
> give up the big screen then the Motorola Zine ZN5 is the way to go.
>
> Steve

TheRealSteve

Feb 26, 2009, 12:03:39 AM2/26/09

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:41:46 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

Too many phones out there to try them all. I did used to have a
Symbian based smartphone a few years ago and it wasn't bad. But it
was one of those where you had buttons when it was closed and it
opened up to a large screen. The iPhone still has the best user
interface of any of the touchscreen ones I have tried.

Seems though like now you're getting away from the original question,
which one has the best camera, to concentrating on touchscreen models
regardless of how well the cameras work.

Steve

Richard Anacker

Feb 26, 2009, 2:33:29 AM2/26/09
Am 25.02.2009 23:11, schrieb Paul Furman:
>> Sony-Ericsson K-type-mobiles haver nice build-ins-cameras. The k810
>>
>> http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/k810i?lc=de&cc=de
>>

>> is a quite nice one.
>
> Yes I recall mention of their nice camera. Is it any good for web & email?

Yes, of course

richie

Deep Reset

Feb 26, 2009, 3:34:51 PM2/26/09

"Richard Anacker" <spam.q...@faltenarschban.de> wrote in message

With the titanium casing, sapphire screen and hand-stitched leather, it is a
very smart phone.
I've seen blind tests of the camera, and IMHO, it beat the iPhone and the
BlackBerry.
No, it is not a smartphone.

Deep.

Richard Anacker

Feb 26, 2009, 4:51:51 PM2/26/09
Am 26.02.2009 21:34, schrieb Deep Reset:
> I've seen blind tests of the camera, and IMHO, it beat the iPhone and
> the BlackBerry.

I'ver read a test in a German magazine which said that the camera is
lower average.

richie

Paul Furman

Feb 26, 2009, 8:29:42 PM2/26/09

It's looking like the web stuff is the priority now.
Which nice touchscreen phone has the best camera?
8MP & 720 HD is more than I need, the big screen is the most appealing
part of these devices.