Re: Photographer sues and loses.

George Orwell

Jun 9, 2009, 8:43:51 PM6/9/09
There is no freedom of the press without the right to gather the news.

The press has the freedom to publish editorials and for content, blank
pages, that's all. Anything else is at the mercy of government discretion.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Chris H

Jun 10, 2009, 4:27:42 AM6/10/09
In message <a1917db5000b65da...@mixmaster.it>, George
Orwell <nob...@mixmaster.it> writes

>There is no freedom of the press without the right to gather the news.

However the "press" have no special right of access to crime scenes or
accidents. They need to co-operate with the emergency services.

I suspect in this case the problem was parking on a freeway in a
"dangerous" spot.

>common sense dictates that
> members of the general public are not allowed to exit their cars in the
> middle of the freeway to view an accident scene.

Had the photographer handled it better he would have got his photos. The
Policeman was probably very busy trying to stabilise the situation and
not in the mood for a discussion on theoretical rights in the middle of
traffic.

Had he parked up somewhere else and gone back I suspect all would have
been well.

On the other hand the cop could have just been having a bad day.

By pushing a dubious situation the result is a bad judgement that will
affect all photographers.

>The press has the freedom to publish editorials and for content, blank
>pages, that's all. Anything else is at the mercy of government discretion.

I agree.