camera for quickly-made shots ?

Antonio Huerta

May 15, 2009, 12:15:39 PM5/15/09
Hi there,

I would like to get a special kind of pocket camera; it's for taking
pictures in dynamic conditions. For example, I walk in the street, and
see some drama unfolding in front of my eyes. I would like to be able
to whip the camera out of my pocket, turn it on with one hand, and
press the trigger with one hand as well. All this action should occur
within, say, 1 second.

The camera should be ready to shoot after turning the power on within,
say, 0.5 second. I have had a pocket camera from Kodak, Nikon and
Panasonic, but all of them take about 1.5 second for coming into the
ready state. Probably, the camera should have no mechanically-driven
optical lens, because this contributes to lengthening the ready time.
It also occurs to me that the button for turning the camera on should
be a side-sliding switch like in Panasonic, and not a button which one
has to depress and hold for a second, like that in Nikon.

Anyone could suggest a camera ? Thanks.

Pat

May 15, 2009, 1:20:05 PM5/15/09

Buy a disposable at the drug store.

J�rgen Exner

May 15, 2009, 1:23:56 PM5/15/09
Antonio Huerta <ahu...@inbox.com> wrote:
>I would like to get a special kind of pocket camera; it's for taking
>pictures in dynamic conditions. For example, I walk in the street, and
>see some drama unfolding in front of my eyes. I would like to be able
>to whip the camera out of my pocket, turn it on with one hand, and
>press the trigger with one hand as well. All this action should occur
>within, say, 1 second.

Most compact cameras with 35mm film(!) will fit that bill.

With digital camers you are pretty much out of luck because ...

>The camera should be ready to shoot after turning the power on within,
>say, 0.5 second. I have had a pocket camera from Kodak, Nikon and
>Panasonic, but all of them take about 1.5 second for coming into the
>ready state.

... exactly that. Not to mention the focussing delay.

Dpreview publishes start-up times for the cameras they test, you may
want to check there (they have a search feature!) for cameras with the
least delay.

jue

SMS

May 15, 2009, 1:26:45 PM5/15/09

Apteryx

May 15, 2009, 6:53:16 PM5/15/09
J�rgen Exner wrote:
> Antonio Huerta <ahu...@inbox.com> wrote:
>> I would like to get a special kind of pocket camera; it's for taking
>> pictures in dynamic conditions. For example, I walk in the street, and
>> see some drama unfolding in front of my eyes. I would like to be able
>> to whip the camera out of my pocket, turn it on with one hand, and
>> press the trigger with one hand as well. All this action should occur
>> within, say, 1 second.
>
> Most compact cameras with 35mm film(!) will fit that bill.
>
> With digital camers you are pretty much out of luck because ...
>
>> The camera should be ready to shoot after turning the power on within,
>> say, 0.5 second. I have had a pocket camera from Kodak, Nikon and
>> Panasonic, but all of them take about 1.5 second for coming into the
>> ready state.
>
> ... exactly that. Not to mention the focussing delay.

So P&S cameras not much use for pointing and shooting...

Apteryx

Justin C

May 15, 2009, 6:57:19 PM5/15/09

Olympus Trip.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

ray

May 15, 2009, 8:16:11 PM5/15/09
On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:53:16 +1200, Apteryx wrote:

Depends a little on how fast you intend to point and shoot.

Charles

May 15, 2009, 9:16:04 PM5/15/09

Bob Haar

May 15, 2009, 11:29:21 PM5/15/09
On 5/15/09 1:23 PM, "J�rgen Exner" <jurg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Antonio Huerta <ahu...@inbox.com> wrote:
>> I would like to get a special kind of pocket camera; it's for taking
>> pictures in dynamic conditions. For example, I walk in the street, and
>> see some drama unfolding in front of my eyes. I would like to be able
>> to whip the camera out of my pocket, turn it on with one hand, and
>> press the trigger with one hand as well. All this action should occur
>> within, say, 1 second.

> With digital camers you are pretty much out of luck because ...

Actually, many DSLRs are ready to shot very quickly after being turned on.
You just need big pockets.

eNo

May 16, 2009, 1:43:31 AM5/16/09
On May 15, 9:15 am, Antonio Huerta <ahue...@inbox.com> wrote:
> Anyone could suggest a camera ? Thanks.

In terms of size, you are describing a small P&S, and I know none that
is quick to focus and/or shoot. DSLRs are the best for that, and among
them, probably the D40 is the best deal going right now. You might
want to also check out 4/3 format cameras and see if there's anything
out there right now with quick startup and focus/shoot times.

eNo
http://esfotoclix.com

mianileng

May 16, 2009, 7:54:26 AM5/16/09

They are. But the OP's looking for a quick-draw camera :)

Neil Ellwood

May 16, 2009, 7:55:04 AM5/16/09

Box brownie.

--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l

Paul Furman

May 17, 2009, 8:10:01 PM5/17/09
Charles wrote:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/4321-6501_7-6544164.html

"Here are five of the fastest we've seen, with shot-to-shot times (in
good light) of 1.5 seconds or less and shutter lags of 0.5 second or
shorter in high-contrast conditions and 1.2 seconds or less in dim
conditions."

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Fred

May 18, 2009, 4:32:30 AM5/18/09
"eNo" <grande...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Neither of these types fit the OP's original requirement of "I would like to
be able
to whip the camera out of my pocket", neither are they suitable as a carry
everywhere
camera for instant use in the street, unless you happen to be wearing a very
large overcoat
with deep pockets, not to mention that these cameras are rather indiscrete,
making you stand
out in the crowd like a "professional" photographer.

Paul Furman

May 18, 2009, 1:36:29 PM5/18/09

Maybe micro 4/3 will work for the OP?

Charles

May 18, 2009, 5:39:17 PM5/18/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

> Charles wrote:
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/4321-6501_7-6544164.html
>
> "Here are five of the fastest we've seen, with shot-to-shot times (in good
> light) of 1.5 seconds or less and shutter lags of 0.5 second or shorter in
> high-contrast conditions and 1.2 seconds or less in dim conditions."

Yes, they are still a bit slow.

John Navas

May 21, 2009, 9:42:47 PM5/21/09
On Mon, 18 May 2009 17:39:17 -0400, "Charles"
<charles...@comcast.net> wrote in
<guski9$591$1...@news.eternal-september.org>:

Faster compacts are readily available.

--
Best regards,
John

John Navas

May 21, 2009, 9:43:36 PM5/21/09
On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:36:29 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote in <GVgQl.18624$D32....@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com>:

Your pockets must be *way* bigger than mine! ;)

Antonio Huerta

May 21, 2009, 11:26:57 PM5/21/09
On May 16, 9:16 am, "Charles" <charlesschu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/4321-6501_7-6544164.html

Thanks ! Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70 looks like what I need. I like the
lens cover which slides down, and doubles as a turn-on switch.

whisky-dave

May 22, 2009, 6:44:52 AM5/22/09

"John Navas" <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

But still faster than the time it takes me to take a camera out of my
pocket.
Even a DSLR whichy would actually take me longer.
So for me shutter lag isn;t that important from in teh sceme of things,
if my camera is in a pocket.
And my compact doesn;t needa lens cap, most of teh DSLRs
I'cve seen I'd have one put on if I wwere carrying it around in
my pocket.

Paul Furman

May 23, 2009, 2:50:51 PM5/23/09