How to hold and carry a camera with a heavy lens

anir...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 10:36:21 AM5/29/09
I am wondering what is the best way to carry around a camera in a hand
strap with heavy and large lenses (glass lenses 200-300mm up)
I felt uncomfortable to let the camera with a heavy lens hang on its
strap while walking around. Do most people handle the lens just at the
lens mount area to support the camera and lens while walking? If you
just let it hangs on the strap, the strap can also break. Was it just
recently a major camera brand name provided a notice about their
defective camera hand strap?
Another related question is whether there are any cases that with a
lot of usage, the camera-lens mount buckle/bend under the pressures?
I assume that most DSLR bodies are made of steel around the lens
mount. Are cheaper DSLRs (non pro type) more prone to this failure, as
perhaps the lens mount on the camera body was not designed to carry
for heavy lenses? Or is the camera body usually over-designed and this
would never be a problem at all.
Thanks for info and discussion.

Pat

May 29, 2009, 11:15:34 AM5/29/09

Start with the premise that a 300mm lens is not a particularly big
lens.

However once you are into that range, you normally carry around the
lens with the camera attached to it, not the camera.

Probably the best method is to use a hand and/or wrist strap if you
don't want a monopod.

You can also put a small athletic bag over your shoulder and stick it
in there.

Finally, if you insist on a neck strap, you could always make/modify
one so that it has a screw on it. Then put the lens' collar so the
screw hole is pointed straight up and screw the neck strap into it.

But if all else fails, a decent neck strap will serve you well.

David Kilpatrick

May 29, 2009, 11:34:23 AM5/29/09

Most of these lenses have a tripod mount, and it aims down like a handle
when the lens is round your neck.

Just get a conference label neck ribbon, shorten it, stick it round your
neck, and hook the tripod bracket into it so this takes the weight not
the camera strap (but of course, that is still there for when you lift
the camera to your eye).

Most cameras will support a 70-200mm f2.8 or similar lens up to 1500g
hanging from the mount. A way to check for problems is just stick your
finger where the lens and camera join, let it hand and walk a few paces
touching this joint. If you feel the lens flex the spring in the bayonet
mount at all, it's going to cause wear eventually. If there is no
movement, the lens is probably OK for normal carrying hanging off the
camera - but not, of course, for running or imposing loads of g-force on
the combo.

David

Paul Maclean

May 29, 2009, 11:41:10 AM5/29/09
<anir...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Like this of course: ;-)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//4171/1430534145651_DSC_3080_2_.jpg

To be honest, I don't use hand straps, but I do loop the strap around my
wrist. It's hard to explain, but basically hold the camera out in front of
you in your left hand and let the strap dangle. Then, punch yourself in the
stomach with your right hand (not literally), through the dangling camera
strap and then rotate your arm clockwise and grab the camera in a shooting
position. This method also prevents the strap from dangling in front of the
viewfinder when in portrait orientation.

I can't speak for hand straps, but with a decent strap, I have had no
problems. The biggest problem is people not rigging their strap correctly,
particularly with 3/8" straps, where over time it will work loose and
plummet if you get it wrong. The body is usually OK, but the mirror
mechanism is likely to become dislodged and also it is quite likely that
your lens hood will shatter. You may also get soft images on one side of
your photos even though the lens seems OK, where something is misaligned in
the lens as a result of the plummet.

Paul Maclean

May 29, 2009, 11:54:22 AM5/29/09
>... this method also prevents the strap from dangling in front of the
>viewfinder when in portrait orientation.

Sorry, forgot to mention the pink frilly knicker brigade. ;-)

If you rotate the camera clockwise to shoot in portrait orientation, then
you will still get a strap in your face.

Geoff Berrow

May 29, 2009, 12:01:05 PM5/29/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 16:41:10 +0100, "Paul Maclean" <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//4171/1430534145651_DSC_3080_2_.jpg

Love the home made lens hood...

Paul Maclean

May 29, 2009, 12:07:24 PM5/29/09
"Geoff Berrow" <blth...@ckdog.co.uk> wrote in message

I don't see it. Are you talking about the stickers?

George Kerby

May 29, 2009, 12:37:06 PM5/29/09

On 5/29/09 11:07 AM, in article q8KdnT-8ksINlb3X...@pipex.net,
"Paul Maclean" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

Bottom left. Duct tape: Beautiful!

K W Hart

May 29, 2009, 12:38:20 PM5/29/09

<anir...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If it's a really heavy or large lens, I don't like to depend on the neck
strap, plus the neck strap can be painful after a while. I consider the neck
strap in this case to just be a safety feature- if I lose grip on the
camera, the neck strap will stop it.
I frequently go for long walks with a camera and sometimes a long lens. I
usually carry the camera backwards, holding the camera in my hand with the
lens resting along my forearm. Of course the neck strap is still around my
neck or wrapped around my wrist. You can get a small metal plate that allows
you to attach a neck strap to lens tripod socket. I've considered using two
neck straps, one attached to the camera and the other attached to the lens
with the strap lengths adjusted so that the lens hangs down but is partially
supported by the strap.
As for the lens mount issue, if the manufacturer has provided a tripod
socket on the lens, then I figure it should be used. Several of my lenses
are substantially heavier than the camera and would probably strain the lens
mount if the lens wasn't supported.

anir...@gmail.com

May 29, 2009, 12:38:28 PM5/29/09
Thanks for all of the replies. The picture from Geoff is hilarious,
but I guess it is real for those who frequents the sport events and
arenas.
I seem to notice that with some of the cheap plastic zoom lenses, if I
hold the lens instead of the camera body, I can feel something moving
on the lens barrel or some kind of flexibility on the barrel (not
solid feeling as opposed to solid steel barrel and glass lens). Just
curious on what is the best way to handle the camera with such heavy
lenses.

Geoff Berrow

May 29, 2009, 12:59:53 PM5/29/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:07:24 +0100, "Paul Maclean" <nos...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> Love the home made lens hood...

>I don't see it. Are you talking about the stickers?

Left hand side, looks like something fastened on with Gaffer tape

Savageduck

May 29, 2009, 1:05:54 PM5/29/09

Try the R-Strap from BlackRapid;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Q1IxI_Opw
http://www.blackrapid.com/innovations.php

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Paul Maclean

May 29, 2009, 2:26:17 PM5/29/09

>>> Love the home made lens hood...
>>

>>I don't see it. Are you talking about the stickers?
>

> Left hand side, looks like something fastened on with Gaffer tape

Makes a change from Getty Images stickers...

George Kerby

May 29, 2009, 6:48:04 PM5/29/09

On 5/29/09 11:59 AM, in article g150259814us5noki...@4ax.com,
"Geoff Berrow" <blth...@ckdog.co.uk> wrote:

That's duct tape. Gaffer isn't shiny and made with black cloth and - and,
the real difference: If you try and hold a strip of it with your mouth, when
you pull it away, it will rip the skin from your lips! <G!>

Geoff Berrow

May 30, 2009, 6:16:16 AM5/30/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:48:04 -0500, George Kerby
<ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Left hand side, looks like something fastened on with Gaffer tape
>That's duct tape. Gaffer isn't shiny and made with black cloth and - and,
>the real difference: If you try and hold a strip of it with your mouth, when
>you pull it away, it will rip the skin from your lips! <G!>

In <mumble> years of playing in bands and doing AV related stuff we
never made much of a distinction. If there was a roll of cloth tape
in the box it was gaffer tape. Agreed, the silver stuff is shinier
and more plasticky but gaffer now comes in all colours. White gaffer
is particularly useful for steps and outlining speaker and lighting
stands.

George Kerby

May 30, 2009, 9:50:01 AM5/30/09

On 5/30/09 5:16 AM, in article 4i1225draa6sc2cdd...@4ax.com,
"Geoff Berrow" <blth...@ckdog.co.uk> wrote:

And it may be a Yank vs. UK definition thingy as well.

Then, there is "Duck Tape"...
<http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>

Message has been deleted

Rob Morley

May 31, 2009, 11:46:35 AM5/31/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 07:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
anir...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am wondering what is the best way to carry around a camera in a hand
> strap with heavy and large lenses (glass lenses 200-300mm up)

I just hold the lens, but I tend to use a neck strap and a holster if
I have a long lens fitted, so I'm not doing that much carrying anyway.

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:29:34 AM6/1/09
anir...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am wondering what is the best way to carry around a camera in a hand
> strap with heavy and large lenses (glass lenses 200-300mm up)
> I felt uncomfortable to let the camera with a heavy lens hang on its
> strap while walking around. Do most people handle the lens just at the
> lens mount area to support the camera and lens while walking?

I just let it hang at my side.

> If you
> just let it hangs on the strap, the strap can also break.

In theory. In practice, good straps are made of heavy duty woven nylon,
like the kind they use for airport luggage, & I've never heard of one
breaking. Certainly, I've never been worried about any of my straps
breaking. To be honest, I've been more worried about the straps slipping
out of the loops on the camera bodies, but it's never happened to me.

> Was it just
> recently a major camera brand name provided a notice about their
> defective camera hand strap?

Um. Was that a Nikon thing? I thought that was a bag, rather than a
strap? Maybe one of the Nikon users here can clarify that one.

> Another related question is whether there are any cases that with a
> lot of usage, the camera-lens mount buckle/bend under the pressures?

Not that I've ever heard of.

> I assume that most DSLR bodies are made of steel around the lens
> mount.

No, aluminium or magnesium alloy, usually.

> Are cheaper DSLRs (non pro type) more prone to this failure,

I've never heard of it happening even with cheaper bodies. I guess it
could happen if you dropped one, though.

> as
> perhaps the lens mount on the camera body was not designed to carry
> for heavy lenses? Or is the camera body usually over-designed and this
> would never be a problem at all.

I've certainly never heard of it being a problem.

> Thanks for info and discussion.

Sure. HTH!

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:31:17 AM6/1/09

LOL.

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:32:32 AM6/1/09

I was assuming that he was talking about the duct tape (presumably)
holding together the one on the left.

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:33:21 AM6/1/09

Mate, 300mm lenses aren't heavy. Heavy is 600mm & up. ;^)

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 8:34:37 AM6/1/09

Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)

John McWilliams

Jun 1, 2009, 10:01:09 AM6/1/09
Bob Larter wrote:
> George Kerby wrote:

>> And it may be a Yank vs. UK definition thingy as well.
>>
>> Then, there is "Duck Tape"...

Useful for binding leaky ducks, but not recommended when roasting same.

>> <http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>
>
> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)

The exact same type of tape that's silver duct tape comes in red, black
and possibly many other colors.

--
john mcwilliams

George Kerby

Jun 1, 2009, 10:26:28 AM6/1/09

On 6/1/09 7:34 AM, in article 4a23...@dnews.tpgi.com.au, "Bob Larter"
<bobby...@gmail.com> wrote:

> George Kerby wrote:
>>

>> On 5/30/09 5:16 AM, in article 4i1225draa6sc2cdd...@4ax.com,
>> "Geoff Berrow" <blth...@ckdog.co.uk> wrote:

>>> In <mumble> years of playing in bands and doing AV related stuff we
>>> never made much of a distinction. If there was a roll of cloth tape
>>> in the box it was gaffer tape. Agreed, the silver stuff is shinier
>>> and more plasticky but gaffer now comes in all colours. White gaffer
>>> is particularly useful for steps and outlining speaker and lighting
>>> stands.
>> And it may be a Yank vs. UK definition thingy as well.
>>
>> Then, there is "Duck Tape"...
>> <http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>
>
> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)

Mostly...

whisky-dave

Jun 1, 2009, 11:01:46 AM6/1/09

"Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Then, there is "Duck Tape"...
>> <http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>
>
> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)

I wonder if duck tape was ever used for securing a duck and why.

I wonder if self amalgamating tape any use for photographers and their
equipment
as a replacement for duct tape, it's mainly used by plumbers, but tends to
be a bit messy.

George Kerby

Jun 1, 2009, 1:16:21 PM6/1/09

On 6/1/09 10:01 AM, in article h00ql6$4e9$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
<whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:

Go to my URL that I posted above. A history is given.

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 2:29:35 PM6/1/09
John McWilliams wrote:
> Bob Larter wrote:
>> George Kerby wrote:
>
>>> And it may be a Yank vs. UK definition thingy as well.
>>>
>>> Then, there is "Duck Tape"...
>
> Useful for binding leaky ducks, but not recommended when roasting same.

So, what happens if you try to roast a leaky duck?

>>> <http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>
>>
>> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)
>
> The exact same type of tape that's silver duct tape comes in red, black
> and possibly many other colors.

But is still glossy rather than matte, yes?

Bob Larter

Jun 1, 2009, 2:30:53 PM6/1/09
whisky-dave wrote:
> "Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Then, there is "Duck Tape"...
>>> <http://www.ducttapeguys.com/duckvsduct.html>
>> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)
>>

> I wonder if duck tape was ever used for securing a duck and why.
>
> I wonder if self amalgamating tape any use for photographers and their
> equipment

TTBOMK, self-amalgamating tape is mainly used for electrical work in
hostile environments.

John McWilliams

Jun 1, 2009, 3:47:31 PM6/1/09
Bob Larter wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> Bob Larter wrote:

>> Useful for binding leaky ducks, but not recommended when roasting same.
>
> So, what happens if you try to roast a leaky duck?

After a good plucking, if there's any duct or duck tape left, remove
before placing in roasting pan....

>>> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)
>>
>> The exact same type of tape that's silver duct tape comes in red,
>> black and possibly many other colors.
>
> But is still glossy rather than matte, yes?

Last one I bought was semi-gloss, or semi-matte, take yer pick!

--
John McWilliams

"mcdonaldREMOVE TO...@scs.uiuc.edu

Jun 1, 2009, 3:55:19 PM6/1/09
John McWilliams wrote:
> Bob Larter wrote:
>> John McWilliams wrote:

In the US "Duck Tape" is a brand name of Duct Tape.

Doug McDonald

whisky-dave

Jun 2, 2009, 8:17:42 AM6/2/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Interesting, as regards to water and a ducks back.

Any idea where the phrase tight as a ducks arse originated.
it used to be quite a common expression in the UK, it could be used for
someone that doesn't want to spend money on something or a stubborn screw
bolt.
My mother told me it came from the idea that if a ducks arse wasn't tight
then the water would get in and sink the duck.
But I also heard it was a samurai think that a warrior could be offered
a 'prostitute' as part of the wage and this could was usually a female but
sometimes
a male but other time a duck was offered, which is where the expression cum
from
should I say ;-)
Perhaps another one for the fridge door.

George Kerby

Jun 2, 2009, 9:53:37 AM6/2/09

On 6/2/09 7:17 AM, in article h035dj$sdu$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
<whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:

I never heard of the expression. Here in Texas, the expressions is "tighter
than a crab's ass". I am sure that it is also used in Baltimore, so I will
defer to Rita...

C J Campbell

Jun 2, 2009, 12:45:28 PM6/2/09
On 2009-05-29 07:36:21 -0700, anir...@gmail.com said:

> I am wondering what is the best way to carry around a camera in a hand
> strap with heavy and large lenses (glass lenses 200-300mm up)
> I felt uncomfortable to let the camera with a heavy lens hang on its
> strap while walking around. Do most people handle the lens just at the

> lens mount area to support the camera and lens while walking? If you
> just let it hangs on the strap, the strap can also break. Was it just

> recently a major camera brand name provided a notice about their
> defective camera hand strap?

> Another related question is whether there are any cases that with a
> lot of usage, the camera-lens mount buckle/bend under the pressures?

> I assume that most DSLR bodies are made of steel around the lens

> mount. Are cheaper DSLRs (non pro type) more prone to this failure, as

> perhaps the lens mount on the camera body was not designed to carry
> for heavy lenses? Or is the camera body usually over-designed and this
> would never be a problem at all.

> Thanks for info and discussion.

Most camera manufacturers say that you should not allow a camera body
to support the weight of a large lens. You will generally find this in
the information that comes with the lens. A 200-300mm lens is
borderline, depending on how fast it is. The camera-lens mount can and
will bend or buckle if the lens is heavy enough. At the very least, the
mount can be distorted enough that the lens will no longer fit tightly,
weakening electrical contacts and allowing it to move slightly inside
the mount.

My heaviest lens is a 400mm f/2.8 VR, which I sometimes use with a
teleconverter. There is no way that anyone should allow the camera body
to support the weight of this lens. Such a lens comes with its own
strap and tripod mount. If you want to know where the borderline is,
listen to other people when you bring out the lens. If they say "Damn!"
it is too heavy to be supported by the camera.

If I want to use the 400mm handheld, I let the lens strap hang around
my neck loosely while I carry the camera and lens by the tripod mount,
which is shaped like a handle. I do not tighten the mounting ring, but
leave the lens to rotate freely inside the ring. When shooting, I bring
the body firmly against my face, supporting the lens with my left hand
under the focus ring. I leave the tripod mount above the lens, out of
the way of my hands. My right hand operates the camera controls.

However, I use the lens this way only in the event no other support is
available. That is extremely rare. Even if I do not have my Bushmaster
shoulder mount, or a tripod or monopod, I can nearly always find some
support where I can rest the lens -- fence rail, tree, post, large
rock, or whatever. Nevertheless, you should practice continually using
every method for supporting your big lens. It requires muscles you do
not otherwise use very often. Besides, the last thing you want is to be
fumbling with the lens trying to figure out how to hold it while that
fox is stalking a mouse.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Jun 5, 2009, 9:57:55 AM6/5/09

? "Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????

> whisky-dave wrote:
>> "Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Duct tape is silver, Gaffer tape is black. (Mostly)
>>>

>> I wonder if duck tape was ever used for securing a duck and why.
>>
>> I wonder if self amalgamating tape any use for photographers and their
>> equipment
>
> TTBOMK, self-amalgamating tape is mainly used for electrical work in
> hostile environments.

...And self-vulcanizing tape (withstands an electrical connection in a deep
well pump, down to 440 metres deep).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering