Wolf, Ritz circling drain?

1 view

Nervous Nick

Apr 3, 2009, 6:12:15 PM4/3/09
I dunno whether this is of interest to anyone here, and apologize if
it has already been mentioned, but fwiw, an article from a local
publication:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=283997

Ritz, Wolf begin liquidation sales

WOODLAND HILLS, Calif.- Ritz Camera Centers Inc., the nation's largest
specialty camera and image products and accessories retailer, said
today that it will close more than 300 stores nationwide as part of a
court-supervised bankruptcy reorganization.

The move will leave another 400 Ritz Camera stores open around the
country.

Retail inventory valued at more than $50 million will be liquidated at
the stores that are being closed beginning on Saturday. Suburban
stores that are closing include:

•Woodfield Mall, G116, Schaumburg

•105 S. Cook St., Barrington

•McHenry Grounds, 1787 Richmond Road, McHenry Commons, McHenry

Golf Road Plaza, 8361 Golf Road, Golf Mills, Niles

•Streets of Woodfield, 601 N. Martingale Road, Suite 125, Schaumburg

•Algonquin Commons, 1704 S. Randall Road, Algonquin

•Oakbrook Center, 501 Oak Brook Center, Oak Brook

A joint venture group comprising Great American Group LLC, SB Capital
Group LLC, Tiger Capital Group LLC, and Hudson Capital Partners LLC,
will be conducting the sales.

"Longtime Ritz Camera customers as well as those with any interest in
cameras, photography and video-related products will find a tremendous
selection of quality, brand-name merchandise at greatly reduced
prices," said Daniel Platt, senior vice president, capital markets,
for Great American Group.

Among products that will be available at reduced prices are digital
cameras and accessories, digital SLR compact cameras, digital frames,
binoculars, camcorders and video accessories, and other popular
electronic items.

Beginning with a single store in Atlantic City, N.J., in 1918, the
Beltsville, Maryland-based privately held chain grew to become the
country's leading supplier of photography products, equipment and
services.

At one point, after acquiring Wolf Camera, Kits Cameras and a number
of other companies, Ritz Camera had over 800 stores in more than 40
states. Financial troubles, however, caused the company to file for
Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in February.

dwight

Apr 3, 2009, 6:59:11 PM4/3/09

"Nervous Nick" <nervou...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I dunno whether this is of interest to anyone here, and apologize if
> it has already been mentioned, but fwiw, an article from a local
> publication:
>
> http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=283997
>
> Ritz, Wolf begin liquidation sales

I must admit that I haven't thrown much money in their direction, but they
did have their uses. I'm sad to see my local Ritz Camera on the list of
closures. Sometimes, I just gotta have something and I gotta have it now.

dwight

ray

Apr 3, 2009, 8:18:05 PM4/3/09

IMHO - no big loss. The local Inkley's (a Ritz store) was downright surly
when I went in some time ago to look at a camera. I made the mistake of
mentioning the "I" word - internet - and the manager had a real problem
deciding if he was going to let me see anything. This just a few months
after I spent a goodly sum there having them do a cleanup of an old
camera.

Paul Bartram

Apr 4, 2009, 3:02:55 AM4/4/09

"ray" <r...@zianet.com> wrote

> IMHO - no big loss. The local Inkley's (a Ritz store) was downright surly
> when I went in some time ago to look at a camera.

If nothing else, this current mess is going to clean out the less efficient
businesses in many fields of commerce. It is when places that put profit
over customer service will 'get theirs'. There are several here in
Queensland I won't be crying over if the 'for lease' sign goes up.

Paul

TonyCooper

Apr 4, 2009, 10:17:34 AM4/4/09

I have purchased cameras from Ritz on-line, but never much of anything
from the Ritz stores here in town. Ritz on-line, at the time I
purchased, had a competitive price, no shipping charges, and no sales
tax (7% in my area). Service was excellent.

I avoid the local Ritz stores (2). The sales clerks are not helpful.
There are two locally-owned dedicated camera stores in town, and both
are far superior to Ritz to deal with.

I attribute this to locally-owned stores having on-site management
that has a stake in the success of the store. One of the stores has
an employee who used to work for the Ritz store (a Wolfe camera store
that closed some time ago). His attitude and helpfulness has improved
markedly since he went to work for the locally-owned store.

dwight

Apr 4, 2009, 9:58:50 AM4/4/09

"Paul Bartram" <paul.bartram AT OR NEAR lizzy.com.au> wrote in message

This is what so many forget, and what my old boss used to be so fond of
pointing out.

The company can advertise, market, produce, stock, ship, and do all other
functions flawlessly. But the customer only knows the individual with whom
they are dealing at any one given moment. If that salesperson is having a
bad day, it forever ruins the company's image in that consumer's mind.

When I was in sales, whether phone or face-to-face, my mantra was that the
person I was talking to was my very best friend. At that moment. It's
amazing what customers will forgive when you use that approach.

:()

Allen

Apr 4, 2009, 10:48:47 AM4/4/09
At least two of their Wolf stores in Austin make outstanding 4x6
prints--higher price than Costco etc, but also higher quality, with
operators constantly watching the output and not afraid to reprint. I
will really miss that service. As far as merchandise, though--I've not
bought anything except a few frames and albums.
Allen

Stormin Mormon

Apr 4, 2009, 3:22:34 PM4/4/09
Oh, customer service is so, so essential. One of my
wholesale parts houses, the guy at the counter acts like he
doesn't want to be there. Not very expressive, except to cut
short and hang up on me when he thinks I'm done.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dwight" <dwi...@tfrogX.com> wrote in message

SMS

Apr 4, 2009, 7:38:02 PM4/4/09
Nervous Nick wrote:
> I dunno whether this is of interest to anyone here, and apologize if
> it has already been mentioned, but fwiw, an article from a local
> publication:

The complete list of closings is at
"http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=178358&vid=1&download=1".

Too bad. We used to have a great local chain of stores called Photo
Drive Up. Then Wolf bought them and wrecked them, and I guess Ritz
bought Wolf or they merged.

I wonder if this will be a no-sale sale, like Circuit City's liquidation
sale.

SMS

Apr 4, 2009, 7:44:19 PM4/4/09
TonyCooper wrote:

> I have purchased cameras from Ritz on-line, but never much of anything
> from the Ritz stores here in town. Ritz on-line, at the time I
> purchased, had a competitive price, no shipping charges, and no sales
> tax (7% in my area). Service was excellent.

The sales tax increase in California (as of April 1) is going to drive a
lot more sales to online merchants, even though technically you're
required to pay tax on out of state purchases. The sales tax in my
county is now 9.25%, and it may go to 9.375% if the federal government
kicks in money for mass transit construction (a local sales tax measure
that passed was contingent on the feds kicking in money).

California's pretty stupid when it comes to tax policy. Oregon has no
sales tax and offsets this with higher income and property taxes, both
of which are tax deductible from federal income tax. Not having a sales
tax helps local merchants, and helps provide more employment.

Nicko

Apr 4, 2009, 9:07:56 PM4/4/09
On Apr 4, 6:38 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if this will be a no-sale sale, like Circuit City's liquidation
> sale.

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard this. I guess I am
getting realistic in my old age.

--
YOP...

Deputy Dog

Apr 4, 2009, 10:25:13 PM4/4/09
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you want to know what customer service is all about come visit me and my
employees at the Parksburg Pa , RadioShack.

Dave

ray

Apr 4, 2009, 11:25:19 PM4/4/09

The commute would be hell ;)

Robert Coe

Apr 11, 2009, 1:54:07 PM4/11/09
On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 02:25:13 GMT, "Deputy Dog" <Dave(removethis)@sibbett.com>
wrote:
: "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Maybe that's why you're still in business when many other Radio Shacks aren't.
I'm told that the RS in my town is now GWTW. They were there in December when
I needed batteries for the flash unit I bought my wife for Christmas, but
apparently they've since been harvested by the George Bush Recession. :^|

Where is Parksburg? If it's in Montgomery County, near my daughter's house,
maybe I'll drop in next week. ;^)

Bob