Which Epson printer?

Eric Stevens

Mar 25, 2009, 11:11:44 PM3/25/09
I can't make up my mind which Epson printer to buy, a 2880 or a 3800.
By all accounts the 3800 produces better images but it suffers from
the disadvantage that it's ink cartridges are much larger at 80ml.
They have a rated life of 6 months after they have been opened and
with my irregular usage it is possible that I could run over this.

Has anyone any experience with the 3800 (or other Epson printers with
K3 inks) when the ink gets old in service? Do they tend to clog or do
they give no real trouble in service? I would be grateful for advice.

Eric Stevens

Paul Furman

Mar 25, 2009, 11:49:35 PM3/25/09

I would consider larger ink carts a huge advantage. That's nonsense that
they would expire in 6 months, the bigger issue is clogging due to
infrequent use and the newer Epsons are better about that. I thought
about a CIS system for my R1800 but the clog issue has scared me a bit.
My old Epson clogged but that was much cheaper & older, I sometimes let
my R1800 go for weeks without making any prints and it hasn't had any
problems.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

tmo...@wildblue.net

Mar 26, 2009, 9:57:27 AM3/26/09

Don't worry on the listed life expectancy of the Epson carts, many
folks use them for over a year, heard about one user saying 2 years
with no ill effects. Ink for this printer costs 50-60% of the ink for
the 2880. Also you don't have to worry as much about running out of
ink during a print. All reports say the 3800 has no clogging issues to
speak of, it is the first printer that Epson used teflon on the heads.
The only thing that is a negative is that it doesn't take roll paper,
and that is very minor.

Dymphna

Mar 26, 2009, 11:48:59 AM3/26/09

I am an HP fan. Sorry would not go there.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Mar 26, 2009, 2:13:12 PM3/26/09

? "Eric Stevens" <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> ?????? ??? ??????
I have the Canon pixma Ip4300, which uses the chroma life 100 inks, they are
supposed too to last only 6 months after opened, the photo black and bulk
black which are consumed much more slowly than magenta, cyan and yellow,
print happily after 1 year. Plus, when you have the printer, you'll want to
print your keepers to larger sizes, for framing, which you'll rarely do if
you print your photos in a lab.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Eric Stevens

Mar 26, 2009, 4:30:54 PM3/26/09
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:49:35 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

I'm currently running an 1800 and have had almost no problems with
clogging. The only exception turned out to be caused by wandering
cat-fur.

The R1800 doesn't use K3 inks and my original question was prompted by
the concern that possibly these might be more temperamental (the cat
has died of old age at 21).

Eric Stevens

Message has been deleted

Rich

Mar 26, 2009, 8:34:47 PM3/26/09
Eric Stevens <eric.s...@sum.co.nz> wrote in

The one that charges less for ink than the cost of silver.

Eric Stevens

Mar 26, 2009, 11:05:21 PM3/26/09

The one that charges least per ml for ink is the 3800. Mind you, with
its big cartridges, ink is about 1/3 of the cost of the new machine.

Eric Stevens

Paul Furman

Mar 27, 2009, 11:16:09 PM3/27/09
JT's Keeper wrote:

> - JT
> still has a working C80 and R300 with DuraBrite Ink

A friend still has a working Canon bubble jet BJ200, over 15 years old.
My old Epson clogged (forgot the model).

tconway

Mar 28, 2009, 1:09:03 PM3/28/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

I have a Canon BJ-200e still going strong since '94 with only a minor
problem - I have to manually pull each page out because it doesn't fully
eject. I'm on my second Epson, a Photo 1270 - works great!. The original
from the 90's was a Stylus Pro that eventually locked up the paper transport
mechanism.
tim

Stormin Mormon

Mar 29, 2009, 7:56:25 AM3/29/09
I had a BJ -200 which I got with my first computer, in about
1998. I just threw out the printer, a couple weeks ago.
Hadn't used it in years.

My printer on the PC is Epson CX-7400, and I'm very pleased
with it. One thing I don't like, is that when one of the
color cartridges goes empty, I can't print at all, not even
in black only.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

A friend still has a working Canon bubble jet BJ200, over 15

tconway

Mar 29, 2009, 4:03:15 PM3/29/09

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I had a BJ -200 which I got with my first computer, in about
> 1998. I just threw out the printer, a couple weeks ago.
> Hadn't used it in years.
>
> My printer on the PC is Epson CX-7400, and I'm very pleased
> with it. One thing I don't like, is that when one of the
> color cartridges goes empty, I can't print at all, not even
> in black only.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
> www.lds.org

My Epson 1270 is like that too. One cartridge runs out of ink, I'm
completely finished. Makes nice prints, though.
tim