Converting old laptop to PC monitor and digital frame...

zalek

Apr 20, 2009, 8:48:10 PM4/20/09
I have a very old working Dell laptop. On ebay it is worth $30-50 -
but screen is perfect. I saw some sites which use whole laptop to
convert it to a digital frame, but I would like to use screen only,
without PC part. Also - I would like to use it from time to time as
screen monitor (using VGA cable).
Maybe someone knows about a such project - to remove screen, connect
it to some kind chip with SD,CF or USB flash drive?

Thanks,

Zalek

whinee

Apr 20, 2009, 9:51:51 PM4/20/09
Those digital frames you see in stores that display images off a memory card
are actually dedicated computers that do one thing and one thing only.

Bob Larter

Apr 21, 2009, 12:56:53 AM4/21/09

Sorry, but it's completely impractical. It'd cost you more in electronic
parts than to just buy a digital frame.

Pat

Apr 21, 2009, 10:48:09 AM4/21/09

Pop the bezel off. Unscrew the hinges. Don't disconnect the wires.
Pop the bezel back on. Rotate the computer and screen so that back
side of the screen (top of the computer when closed in the normal way)
is up against the back of the computer (bottom of the computer when
closed in the normal way). Put velcro on each piece. Stick the
together. Now you have the computer "backwards" with the keyboard
facing out in one direction and the screen facing out in the other.
Load you pictures. Use the microsoft screensaver gadget that allow
you to rotate through your pictures. Firmly attached a picture
hanging from to the area above the keyboard. Mount on wall. Done.
No cost. No nothing. Easy to do. Interesting conversation piece.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Apr 21, 2009, 4:17:04 PM4/21/09

? "zalek" <zalek...@hotmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
Sorry, but it's not worth doing it-you'd need somebody to engineer the whole
project, and in the end you'd put so much money and work on that old screen
that it would be better to just buy a new digital frame. What's quite
interesting, though, is somebody built a laptop from a commodore 64-a real
C-64 laptop, with an LCD screen, and instead of the notorious 1541 drive (5
1/4") an SD card reader. But it took him 2 weeks, and he had the plastic
parts custom made with a special CFC machine so the whole thing looked
professionally made.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

John

Apr 22, 2009, 4:08:41 AM4/22/09
> "Pat" <gro...@artisticphotography.us> wrote in message

Done this a couple of years ago. And it works. I did have a little problem.
The wires to the screen needed extending. Just cut them and added some extra
pieces.

John.

whisky-dave

Apr 22, 2009, 7:14:57 AM4/22/09

"John" <john.la...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

How about battery life or does the 'picture frame' need to be constabntly
connected to
a power outlet, what a waste of trees ;-)

John

Apr 23, 2009, 10:12:46 AM4/23/09

"whisky-dave" <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote in message
The battery in the laptop was knackered. so it was connected to the mains
all the time.

John.

Stormin Mormon

Apr 25, 2009, 3:33:53 PM4/25/09
I've been wishing I had a laptop computer. We might be able
to talk swap. I havn't researched digital frames, but maybe
I could buy one and trade you?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zalek" <zalek...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Apr 26, 2009, 1:51:48 PM4/26/09

Ο "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

> I've been wishing I had a laptop computer. We might be able
> to talk swap. I havn't researched digital frames, but maybe
> I could buy one and trade you?

You can get a new laptop with 420 euros complete with win vista and cruise
control....