Re: 8-Way Processing With Intel's New Superchip!!

Message has been deleted

^Tems^

Jan 31, 2009, 9:07:18 PM1/31/09
Larry Thong wrote:
> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again
> since we have upgraded our cameras. The new CPU is guaranteed to outlast
> most other chips on the market by 10-years. Fortunately Intel has been
> forced to throw away the old way of thinking, no more planned obsolescence.
>

> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>

Looking at the plugs it could be expandable to 10 ways in the future if
needed

Paul Furman

Feb 1, 2009, 12:19:43 AM2/1/09
Larry Thong wrote:
> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again
> since we have upgraded our cameras. The new CPU is guaranteed to
> outlast most other chips on the market by 10-years. Fortunately Intel
> has been forced to throw away the old way of thinking, no more planned
> obsolescence.
>

> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>

OK, that's a pretty good photo actually. Your kind of subject matter.
BTW do gals typically leave the seat up in the girls room like that?

16mm?

SneakyP

Feb 1, 2009, 1:02:33 AM2/1/09
Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in news:_hahl.3349$PE4.3152
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

The kind of attention Rita pays to the camera is like this:

http://tinyurl.com/adofzk

I think I'll plant one here... <grunt>

licky licky, Looney Thung.

--
SneakyP
To reply: newsgroup only, what's posted in ng stays in ng.

Some choose to swim in the potty bowl of nan-ae rather than flush it
down :0)

Mr.T

Feb 1, 2009, 1:39:12 AM2/1/09

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Larry Thong wrote:
> > <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>

> BTW do gals typically leave the seat up in the girls room like that?

Maybe "Larry" is Rita's boy friend :-)

MrT.

^Tems^

Feb 1, 2009, 1:38:52 AM2/1/09

Looks like a wheelchair/disable toilet which would be unisex

Paul Furman

Feb 1, 2009, 2:23:00 AM2/1/09

Tems & Larry sitting in a tree...
kay eye ess ess eye enn gee!

^Tems^

Feb 1, 2009, 2:34:27 AM2/1/09

Wow, someone doesn't like being proved wrong

Paul Furman

Feb 1, 2009, 2:40:07 AM2/1/09

I'll leave you two alone now...
<he's all yours now>

Message has been deleted

Nervous Nick

Feb 1, 2009, 10:47:28 AM2/1/09
On Jan 31, 7:21 pm, "Larry Thong" <larry_th...@shitstring.com> wrote:
> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again since
> we have upgraded our cameras.  The new CPU is guaranteed to outlast most
> other chips on the market by 10-years.  Fortunately Intel has been forced to
> throw away the old way of thinking, no more planned obsolescence.
>
> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>

OMG you posted a photo of a toilet in a diarrhea clinic

Cute

Clever

Funny

Oh, I forgot to add these:

!! !! !! !!

--
YOP...

Atheist Chaplain

Feb 1, 2009, 8:52:42 PM2/1/09
"Larry Thong" <larry...@shitstring.com> wrote in message
> I wonder what happened there?

probably didn't survive the first round of stress testing :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Rich

Feb 1, 2009, 10:20:48 PM2/1/09

> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again
> since we have upgraded our cameras. The new CPU is guaranteed to
> outlast most other chips on the market by 10-years. Fortunately Intel
> has been forced to throw away the old way of thinking, no more planned
> obsolescence.
>

> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>

Good thing AMD has been around since 1989, kicking the complacent, greedy
Intel in the ass. Intel FINALLY made the grade in the last 2-3 years. If
there were no AMD, we'd still be using Intel 486 chips...at $1000 a pop.

Message has been deleted

Bill Graham

Feb 2, 2009, 9:10:33 PM2/2/09

> Rich wrote:
>
>>> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again
>>> since we have upgraded our cameras. The new CPU is guaranteed to
>>> outlast most other chips on the market by 10-years. Fortunately
>>> Intel has been forced to throw away the old way of thinking, no more
>>> planned obsolescence.
>>>

>>> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>
>>>

>> Good thing AMD has been around since 1989, kicking the complacent,
>> greedy Intel in the ass. Intel FINALLY made the grade in the last
>> 2-3 years. If there were no AMD, we'd still be using Intel 486
>> chips...at $1000 a pop.
>

> Actually Intel chips are dirt cheap when you consider how robust they are
> and the performance they deliver. This is why they are exclusively used
> by Panasonic in the Tough Book series of laptops and Apple's Mac. It is
> totally and utterly foolish to use anything other than Intel chips and it
> breaks every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity to use AMD.
> The Intel i7 kicks ass!!

Yes. My computer was down for several months in 2008 because of a defective
AMD "tri-core" chip.......After spending several hundred dollars putting it
in the shop with no success, I found out (through the internet) that the
problem was inherent in the chip and motherboard, and the only sure cure was
to replace both. So I put in an Intel Pentium and new motherboard, and the,
"Pain is gone...." as they say in that drug ad on TV.....

D-Mac

Feb 2, 2009, 11:13:36 PM2/2/09
Bill Graham wrote:

I've never known of an AMD powered PC in 20 years of PC use to last
more than a few month without giving problems. Maybe now you'll know
it's INTEL or Intel?

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

DRS

Feb 3, 2009, 12:23:48 AM2/3/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

[...]

> I've never known of an AMD powered PC in 20 years of PC use to last
> more than a few month without giving problems. Maybe now you'll know
> it's INTEL or Intel?

My overclocked 939 X2 4200+ is entering its fourth year and going strong.
My partner's Athlon XP lasted well over 6 years before it was upgraded.
Having worked in IT for many years I could go on about AMD's strengths for a
long time. Technologically, AMD kicked Intel into the gutter for about 5
years, while Intel produced crap CPU after crap CPU (ie., remember the
Pentium Ds that would hit their heat threshold with the stock cooler and
shutdown?) until the Core Duos were released. After an extraordinarily long
hiatus in the technical wilderness Intel have retaken top spot for high end
CPUs, but AMD is still more than competitive in the general consumer market.

As IT commentators most of you lot make wonderful photographers.

J. Clarke

Feb 3, 2009, 12:53:24 AM2/3/09
DRS wrote:
> "D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>> I've never known of an AMD powered PC in 20 years of PC use to last
>> more than a few month without giving problems. Maybe now you'll
>> know
>> it's INTEL or Intel?
>
> My overclocked 939 X2 4200+ is entering its fourth year and going
> strong. My partner's Athlon XP lasted well over 6 years before it
> was
> upgraded. Having worked in IT for many years I could go on about
> AMD's strengths for a long time.

Just a comment but my Athlon XP is running Vista quite happily. I
don't even recall how old it is--the creation date on the Windows XP
folder on the other drive is 2004 and it had Windows 2000 on it before
that.

Only problem I ever had with it was that the fan on the video board
died once and the video board fried, which gave me an excuse to
upgrade.

I've got one of those dirt cheap e-machines/Gateway AMD64 laptops that
were popular four years or so back--other than the hinge cracking that
was endemic on them it's also never missed a lick, and it's had a fun
ride--even had OS/X going on it once. Friend of mine got one like it
before she started college and she's graduated now and it's still
working a treat.

> Technologically, AMD kicked Intel
> into the gutter for about 5 years, while Intel produced crap CPU
> after crap CPU (ie., remember the Pentium Ds that would hit their
> heat threshold with the stock cooler and shutdown?) until the Core
> Duos were released. After an extraordinarily long hiatus in the
> technical wilderness Intel have retaken top spot for high end CPUs,
> but AMD is still more than competitive in the general consumer
> market.

Yep. Intel went off into a blind alley with the Itanic and let AMD
beat them at their own game, which was always backward compatibility
with improved performance, then spent a lot of time playing catch-up.

> As IT commentators most of you lot make wonderful photographers.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Jeff R.

Feb 3, 2009, 1:05:10 AM2/3/09
D-Mac wrote:

> I've never known of an AMD powered PC in 20 years of PC use to last
> more than a few month without giving problems.

Well-l-l-l...
Add that to the list of things you've never known.

Of the three desktop PCs in this house, two are AMD dual cores (including
this one), and the only reason I'd replace it would be to upgrade. Flawless
for years, so far.

The plural of anecdote is *not* data.

--
Jeff R.
"If someone had told me in 1989 that the BBS I started

Atheist Chaplain

Feb 3, 2009, 1:31:57 AM2/3/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

then you must be incompetent Douggie, I currently have sitting beside me a
939 socketed AMD 4200+ dual core that up until recently ran Vista without
flaw, while my son persisted with his Intel affliction and constant BSOD's I
say up until recently because it is now running as a home server with
Kubuntu on it and happily chugs away day after day without so much as a
hiccup or fart, current up time is measured in months and the thrashing it
got as a games machine before that, complete with over clocking would make
many Intel chips leak out bottom of the socket and run away to mother.
Before that I ran an AMD Duron 700 that was over clocked at 1100 on the
standard heat sink for most of its life and was only killed by a badly
behaved power supply that got spiked and let the smoke out.
Now I see why you got out of the Computer game and had to try and make a
living as a photographer.
So registered your ABN for GST yet Douggie :-)

Bill Graham

Feb 3, 2009, 2:05:10 AM2/3/09

"Atheist Chaplain" <abu...@cia.gov> wrote in message

Well, there must be lots of machines with both Intel and AMD chips that work
perfectly well, and one can always fine anecdotal evidence of nearly
anything. but, after doing without my machine for a couple of months, my son
in law looked up comments about the particular machine I had on the
internet, and found many many letters complaining about the same symptoms I
was having with the same machine. It was a Hewlett Packard Pavilion with an
AMD "tri-core" CPU, and these machines would freeze up frequently (in my
case every 10 minutes or so) and the only way out was to cycle the power and
reboot.......Why HP didn't recall these is beyond me. It sure caused me,
(and a lot of others) a lot of heartache. But, I guess if it isn't an
automobile, it doesn't have a NHTSB to watch over it, and they, "don't gots
to recall anything).......All I can say is that the shop that kept my
machine for two months never told me, (and probably didn't know themselves)
about the problem, and so I've crossed them off my list permanently.

Mr.T

Feb 3, 2009, 2:47:21 AM2/3/09

"Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng> wrote in message

> Of the three desktop PCs in this house, two are AMD dual cores (including
> this one), and the only reason I'd replace it would be to upgrade.
Flawless
> for years, so far.

Big deal, I have a friend who is still using a 300Mhz Celeron everyday (or
very close to) for over a decade without a single part replacement.
I did have to fix the CPU fan when it failed to boot because the fan
wouldn't spin, it was so clogged with dust. CPU was fine, and even the fan's
still working after a clean!
AMD dual cores are almost new by comparison :-)

MrT.

Jeff R.

Feb 3, 2009, 2:59:39 AM2/3/09

as I said: The plural of anecdote is not data.

...but keep supplying anecdotes, by all means. Just be careful when
projecting them as data.

--
Jeff R.

Ron Hunter

Feb 3, 2009, 3:22:40 AM2/3/09
Larry Thong wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>>> It looks like we are being forced to upgrade our computers once again
>>> since we have upgraded our cameras. The new CPU is guaranteed to
>>> outlast most other chips on the market by 10-years. Fortunately
>>> Intel has been forced to throw away the old way of thinking, no more
>>> planned obsolescence.
>>>

>>> <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2273922550_9bc64f5845_b.jpg>
>>>

>> Good thing AMD has been around since 1989, kicking the complacent,
>> greedy Intel in the ass. Intel FINALLY made the grade in the last
>> 2-3 years. If there were no AMD, we'd still be using Intel 486
>> chips...at $1000 a pop.
>

> Actually Intel chips are dirt cheap when you consider how robust they are
> and the performance they deliver. This is why they are exclusively used by
> Panasonic in the Tough Book series of laptops and Apple's Mac. It is
> totally and utterly foolish to use anything other than Intel chips and it
> breaks every terrestrial and celestial boundary of stupidity to use AMD.
> The Intel i7 kicks ass!!

Not so. I have had only ONE Intel chip machine since 1995. It is the
slowest one on my inventory. I have not had any problems with AMD
chips, and they are cheaper for a given level of performance. Intel,
with it's gigantic R&D budget has pulled ahead of AMD in the speed race,
but their chips aren't really any better as to reliability, or
throughput for the buck than AMD.
Message has been deleted

Douglas Johnson

Feb 3, 2009, 10:34:10 AM2/3/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote:

>I've never known of an AMD powered PC in 20 years of PC use to last
>more than a few month without giving problems. Maybe now you'll know
>it's INTEL or Intel?

Meet mine. I haven't had an Intel chip in a desktop since 1997. All 8 AMD
systems worked flawlessly. Four are still running. My current desktop just
passed the three year mark.

That said, I'm looking at Intel processors for the next one. AMD seems to be
behind in the performance race right now.

Their logo is "intel" in a circle. their formal corporate name is "Intel
Corporation". Their web site appears to use "Intel".

-- Doug

whisky-dave

Feb 3, 2009, 11:04:04 AM2/3/09

> See above. Haven't you ever wondered why AMD chips are never chosen for
> mission critical applications or environments where life and safety are at
> stake? How many police/rescue vehicles or service/industrial vehicles
> have
> you seen with and AMD based laptop? A hint, ZERO. The Tough Book made by
> Panasonic has never used anything other than Intel chips. Even Apple
> recognized the problems with AMD and refused to embarrass themselves.
> Sorry
> to say it, AMD is nothing more than a technological embarrassment. Don't
> get me wrong, AMD can be acceptable for use in gaming PCs, but I would
> never
> use one for business apps.

What !!! are you implying gaming isn't important ;-)

J. Clarke

Feb 3, 2009, 11:47:37 AM2/3/09

You're arguing with a religious fanatic. Such people are no more
rational than Jerry Falwell or Osama bin Laden--the only difference is
that their deity is some consumer product or other. It's kind of sad,
really.

Ray Fischer

Feb 3, 2009, 2:20:31 PM2/3/09
Larry Thong <larry...@shitstring.com> wrote:
>See above. Haven't you ever wondered why AMD chips are never chosen for
>mission critical applications or environments where life and safety are at
>stake?

IF true then it's probabaly because Intel can afford to undercut AMD
on price and supplier security. Or it's that AMD doesn't chose to
supply a niche product.

> How many police/rescue vehicles or service/industrial vehicles have
>you seen with and AMD based laptop? A hint, ZERO.

And the number of "police/rescue vehicles or service/industrial
vehicles" I've seen with an Intel based laptop is also "ZERO".

You hardware cultists are nothing if not irrational little sheep.

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

D-Mac

Feb 3, 2009, 3:07:59 PM2/3/09
Douglas Johnson wrote:

In Australia ...AMD CPU's have a long history of overheating and dying
from it. Intel have no such history.

There may be many reason or just one but a sloppy attitude in marketing
and "couldn't care lesss" attitude towards customers with problems is
probably the most damaging attitude a company could adopt. What sort of
company would assume all it's dead chips were caused from overclocking
and not act to stop it?

I never could handle the attitude that "if it died you overclocked it
and there is no warranty coverage". Particularly when the chips were
not overclocked.

Intel always provided at least basic, functional cooling that was often
barely able to keep their chips under control but it DID keep them
under control.

AMD on the other hand, sold their chips to whomever would buy them.
They sold them in trays and with below par coolers and they targeted
those who in earlier days would be "hot-Rodders". It seemed to me they
had a "sell at any cost mentality". The result was a bins full of deal
AMD CPUs and and occasional Intel malfunction. AMD are paying the price
now for the reckless past.

I don't dispute there are plenty of AMD powered PC working reliably but
the undeniable reality is there are a huge number of them that died
without any reason other than they died.

In the past when AND had some percieved performance edge on Intel
chips, I used some ...with water coolers that cost as much as the chip
itself without many problems but then there was no real benefit in
having them when Intel chips ran as fast and had no special cooling
needs.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

4/02/2009 5:50:26 AM

Alan Browne

Feb 3, 2009, 4:41:58 PM2/3/09
Douglas Johnson wrote:
> Meet mine. I haven't had an Intel chip in a desktop since 1997. All 8 AMD
> systems worked flawlessly. Four are still running. My current desktop just
> passed the three year mark.

I've had two AMD machines (incl. current WinXP box - nearly 4 years old
[dual core 2.2 GHz, more that I need on it]).

Other machine (pre GHz days) ran like the wind for 4 years with no
issues. Eventually replaced that board with an intel based 2 GHz board.

My iMac is Intel of course, and 2.8 GHz dual core. The difference in
processing in CS3 or scanning ICE over firewire bwrween either machine
is,in practical terms, negligible despite the clock delta.

People who beat up on AMD are just brand junkies. A marketing
strategists dream. Give them kool-aid and they will come again and again.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

DRS

Feb 3, 2009, 5:32:52 PM2/3/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

[...]

> In Australia ...AMD CPU's have a long history of overheating and dying
> from it. Intel have no such history.

Utter bollocks. You have it completely the wrong way around. Until Intel
released the Core Duos it was their CPUs that ran ridiculously hot while
AMD's ran significantly cooler (a major reason over-clockers like myself
preferred them).

Atheist Chaplain

Feb 3, 2009, 7:15:05 PM2/3/09
"D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message

bullshit Douggie, AMD's have a higher heat threshold than Intel chips do and
run cooler from the get go you clueless twonk, why do you think overclockers
like them so much, no wonder your gave up computers as a business and took
up Photography instead.

Ray Fischer

Feb 3, 2009, 11:54:02 PM2/3/09
Larry Thong <larry...@shitstring.com> wrote:

>Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>>> See above. Haven't you ever wondered why AMD chips are never chosen
>>> for mission critical applications or environments where life and
>>> safety are at stake?
>>
>> IF true then it's probabaly because Intel can afford to undercut AMD
>> on price and supplier security. Or it's that AMD doesn't chose to
>> supply a niche product.
>
>I'm pretty sure AMD would love to have the exclusive rights to supply chips
>to Apple and Panasonic.

It's about quantity - not quality.

>>> How many police/rescue vehicles or service/industrial vehicles have
>>> you seen with and AMD based laptop? A hint, ZERO.
>>
>> And the number of "police/rescue vehicles or service/industrial
>> vehicles" I've seen with an Intel based laptop is also "ZERO".
>

>Of course you did because you go through life with your eyes closed.

No, because I don't spend time sitting in police cruisers.

>> You hardware cultists are nothing if not irrational little sheep.
>

>But we have the best and that seems to piss off the idiots that are and

Idiot

--
Ray Fischer
rfis...@sonic.net

MJW

Feb 4, 2009, 12:10:38 AM2/4/09
Larry Thong wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>>> What !!! are you implying gaming isn't important ;-)
>
> Of course it is, but one must learn to differentiate between a toy
> system for gaming and a tool system for business and mission critical
> apps, Intel is the big dog in the business world.

>> You're arguing with a religious fanatic. Such people are no more
>> rational than Jerry Falwell or Osama bin Laden--the only difference is
>> that their deity is some consumer product or other. It's kind of sad,
>> really.
>
> There's no argument, Intel based servers hold their resale value so much
> longer than AMD. There's a reason for this, corporate people that
> bought AMD aren't going to be return customers.

Ferk in elle, I remember being in one of these
arguments/debates about three years ago, which
started with Doug ( not sure what he called
himself back then) stating that early AMD's were
just rebadged Intels, which then progressed to the
Intel is better than AMD, which then progressed
to resale value in computers, courtesy of Rita.

Deja-vu, to say the least!

--
>>>M.J.Wyllie.<<<

Bill Graham

Feb 4, 2009, 12:44:52 AM2/4/09

"MJW" <me@there> wrote in message

> Deja-vu, to say the least!

After I finished reading Bartlett's, "Familiar Quotations", I realized that
everything is déjà-vu....

MJW

Feb 4, 2009, 12:50:56 AM2/4/09

Ha ha, yep that would be it!

--
>>>M.J.Wyllie.<<<

D-Mac

Feb 4, 2009, 5:34:43 AM2/4/09
DRS wrote:

What? Just because if you overclocked an Intel it would pop but the AMD
was underclocked in the first place so it gave you a false sense of
having achieved something when it "overclocked" and didn't pop, you
think AMD chips are terrific?

You're to one spouting unstainable 'bollocks' mate. Intel's warranty
claim rate on Pentium and Pentium 4 CPUs is under 2%. AMD's warranty
rate is over 12%. Argure all you like about the merits of your choice
but you can't buck the truth.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

4/02/2009 8:30:36 PM

D-Mac

Feb 4, 2009, 5:54:52 AM2/4/09
Alan Browne wrote:

> Douglas Johnson wrote:
> > Meet mine. I haven't had an Intel chip in a desktop since 1997.
> > All 8 AMD systems worked flawlessly. Four are still running. My
> > current desktop just passed the three year mark.
>
> I've had two AMD machines (incl. current WinXP box - nearly 4 years
> old [dual core 2.2 GHz, more that I need on it]).
>
> Other machine (pre GHz days) ran like the wind for 4 years with no
> issues. Eventually replaced that board with an intel based 2 GHz
> board.
>
> My iMac is Intel of course, and 2.8 GHz dual core. The difference in
> processing in CS3 or scanning ICE over firewire bwrween either
> machine is,in practical terms, negligible despite the clock delta.
>
> People who beat up on AMD are just brand junkies. A marketing
> strategists dream. Give them kool-aid and they will come again and
> again.

Living in a frozen countrty like Canada, you'd never discover the
stresses of using a PC in 42C daily heat. AMD's could never handle
simply can't handle it now, Intel's can. Nothing "brand junkie" about
reality. Siemans CPUs couldn't handle it either... Nor could that God
awful Canadian excuse for a CPU. Thankfully gone from the scene now.

As far back as when AMD bought the next-gen chip technology and set
about calling it it's own, AMD CPUs have always been incapable of
handling operation in hot and rugged environments.

It was so bad with their answer to Pentiums, they started selling the
chips sans coolers and posted a recommendation for the ideal cooler for
their chips. They made having used one a requirement prior to accepting
the dead ones back for warranty replacement.

The situation was so bad in 1999, one of the Australian official agents
started legal proceedings against AMD when they refused warranty on
hundreds of dead from overheating chips...

AMD claiming they only died this way if they were overclocked when in
fact none were overclocked, they had all melted the plastic used to
retain the (recommended) cooling fans which had fallen off and caused
the chips to overheat and pop!

When I reported on this issue in Queensland Computer trade news, the
alternative AMD agent threatened to sue the magazine and when the
publisher told them to go ahead, all of a sudden the first distributor
had the dud chips replaced. Coincidence?

Perhaps but I have a long history of association with AMD and the
failure of their cpus. Don't try to tell me I don't know what I spent
many years working with and I won't try to tell you about how to fly.

--
Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
http://www.D-mac.info

4/02/2009 8:35:16 PM

DRS

Feb 4, 2009, 4:50:18 PM2/4/09

> DRS wrote:
>> "D-Mac" <alien...@y7mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> In Australia ...AMD CPU's have a long history of overheating and
>>> dying from it. Intel have no such history.
>>
>> Utter bollocks. You have it completely the wrong way around. Until
>> Intel released the Core Duos it was their CPUs that ran ridiculously
>> hot while AMD's ran significantly cooler (a major reason
>> over-clockers like myself preferred them).
>
> What? Just because if you overclocked an Intel it would pop but the
> AMD was underclocked in the first place so it gave you a false sense
> of having achieved something when it "overclocked" and didn't pop, you
> think AMD chips are terrific?

AMDs were never underclocked. They ran at lower clock speeds than their
Intel equivalents (before the Core Duos) because they were better designed
and made more efficient use of each clock cycle. That in turn was why they
ran cooler than Intel. When Intel copied much of the K8's micro-code
architecture all of a sudden their chips ran cooler too.

> You're to one spouting unstainable 'bollocks' mate. Intel's warranty
> claim rate on Pentium and Pentium 4 CPUs is under 2%. AMD's warranty
> rate is over 12%. Argure all you like about the merits of your choice
> but you can't buck the truth.

The truth is you pulled those statistics out of your arse. You have no
references to support your outrageous claims because they don't exist.

rb

Feb 5, 2009, 5:44:53 AM2/5/09
Mr.T wrote:
> "Jeff R." <conta...@this.ng> wrote in message
>> Of the three desktop PCs in this house, two are AMD dual cores (including
>> this one), and the only reason I'd replace it would be to upgrade.
> Flawless
>> for years, so far.
>
> Big deal, I have a friend who is still using a 300Mhz Celeron everyday (or
> very close to) for over a decade without a single part replacement.

Depending on the stepping, some of those O/C to 450mhz a treat!
Think of the performance increase;)

rb

Mr.T

Feb 5, 2009, 8:15:07 PM2/5/09

"rb" <sn...@khyber.org> wrote in message

> > Big deal, I have a friend who is still using a 300Mhz Celeron everyday
(or
> > very close to) for over a decade without a single part replacement.
>

> Depending on the stepping, some of those O/C to 450mhz a treat!
> Think of the performance increase;)

Yes it was overclocked for quite a few years, been running normal speed for
a few more now though, just to help keep it more reliable in it's old age.
Seems to have worked :-)
I keep offering to build him a new computer though. I guess when it finally
stops. Certainly provided it's money's worth anyway!

MrT.