Re: ** AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

ps56k

Jun 11, 2009, 6:47:47 PM6/11/09

<news-s...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1244504412....@flph199.ffdc.sbc.com...

> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
> vendors.
>
> Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

wonder what other servers folks might be migrating to ?

here's some names I picked up from another group,
but have no experience with any of them...
--

tnx for the links -
We're not really interested in Binary or the issues of Censorship -
so... don't want to download pirated software, movies, etc -

just reading the group/news stuff -
a.. Giganews
b.. NewsDemon.com
c.. NewsgroupDirect
d.. Newsguy
e.. Supernews
f.. ThunderNews
g.. UseNeXT
h..

Mike.G.

Jun 15, 2009, 1:03:44 AM6/15/09
When Comcast stopped providing newsgroup service a while back, I went
with the free Motzarella service, text only, and have been happy with it.

Allen

Jun 15, 2009, 10:36:19 AM6/15/09
news-s...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
> vendors.
>
> Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

I use Giganews, which I like. However--the groups I follow have mostly
fallen into the hands of idiots; the informative posters seem to have
left, perhaps because of the takeover by the idiots, perhaps because so
many ISPs have discontinued ng service. I'm seriously thinking about
abandoning the whole ng system.
Allen

John Navas

Jun 16, 2009, 9:53:30 AM6/16/09
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:36:19 -0500, Allen <all...@austin.rr.com> wrote
in <b46dnSgQCcz4wavX...@giganews.com>:

"We have met the enemy and he is us" -Pogo

In other words, we only have ourselves to blame, for allowing Usenet to
be turned into a cesspool of illicit file sharing (drawing the ire of
Eliot Spitzer last year) and gutter noise (driving away the majority of
Internet users). Pity.

--
Best regards,
John

Message has been deleted

John Navas

Jun 17, 2009, 3:52:07 PM6/17/09
On 17 Jun 2009 18:33:31 GMT, Father Guido Sarducci <d...@novello.com>
wrote in <Xns9C2D941F45...@198.186.190.61>:

>In message news:nq8f359gtt1g270ga...@4ax.com, John Navas

><spamf...@navasgroup.com> said:
>
>> In other words, we only have ourselves to blame, for allowing Usenet to
>> be turned into a cesspool of illicit file sharing
>

>Any ISP who wanted to filter binaries groups had the option to do so.

Sure, but that would result in complaints from users.
Might as well just do away with Usenet altogether.

>> and gutter noise (driving away the majority of
>> Internet users).
>

>Usenet NEVER attracted "the majority of Internet users."

And that's a big part of the reason.

Miles

Jun 17, 2009, 4:35:57 PM6/17/09
* news-s...@sbcglobal.net wrote, On 6/8/2009 16:40:
> Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
> vendors.
>
> Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

Received the official word email today -- and two 2nd level techs
didn't know of it less than a week ago even when they checked their
computer!
Miles
Quote:
ATT Orange Banner
Important Updates to Your AT&T Internet Service
Dear AT&T Internet Service Member:

Our records indicate that you have accessed our Usenet newsgroup
feature in the past 90 days. We are writing to inform you that this
feature will be available through July 15. On or around July 15, 2009
we will no longer provide access to the Usenet service. If you wish to
continue accessing Usenet newsgroups, please be aware that many Usenet
services are available for a subscription fee.

Sincerely,

Your AT&T Internet Service Customer Care Team
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA E-MAIL
This address is automated, unattended, and cannot help with questions
or requests.

� 2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
Yahoo!, the Yahoo! logo and other product and service names are the
trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc. AT&T, the AT&T
logo, and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T
Intellectual Property.

nospam

Jun 17, 2009, 8:53:40 PM6/17/09
In article <l8ii35tchkksurrq8...@4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >Any ISP who wanted to filter binaries groups had the option to do so.
>
> Sure, but that would result in complaints from users.
> Might as well just do away with Usenet altogether.

doing away with usenet altogether would result in *more* complaints.

John Navas

Jun 18, 2009, 12:23:40 AM6/18/09
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:53:40 -0700, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote
in <170620091753404201%nos...@nospam.invalid>:

Probably about the same number of complaints from the same small
minority that isn't worth the expense and hassle.