Nikon D40/80/90 MM Exposure Problems

PDM

Apr 17, 2009, 6:51:45 PM4/17/09
Just had a chat with Nikon UK. They say Nikon are not getting any feedback
on these problems. Also say there is a new system in operation when you
contact tech support by phone rather than by internet. They now have to log
every call. They suggest that anyone with this problem phone them (including
Nikon in other countires) so they can get enough feedback for them to
update the firmware. What they may do is to add an extra option to the menu
which allows you to set the type of exposure control: standard or expose for
the highlights.

As Ken Rockwell has mentioned this problem on his site, Nikon UK suggest
that they may actually be deliberately ignoring this problem as they tend to
take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt. Shame, because
there is a lot of useful stuff on his site.

Note: if you search www.saynoto0870.com for Nikon it will give alternative
cheap or free numbers rather than the premium lines. So get phoning.

PDM

nospam

Apr 17, 2009, 7:08:03 PM4/17/09
In article <49e90801$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, PDM
<pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> As Ken Rockwell has mentioned this problem on his site, Nikon UK suggest
> that they may actually be deliberately ignoring this problem as they tend to
> take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt. Shame, because
> there is a lot of useful stuff on his site.

except it's mixed in with all sorts of bogus info and no real way to
tell the difference.

Mark Sieving

Apr 17, 2009, 11:36:34 PM4/17/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:51:45 +0100, "PDM"
<pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Just had a chat with Nikon UK. They say Nikon are not getting any feedback
>on these problems.

What problems? I haven't noticed any exposure problems with my D40.

>What they may do is to add an extra option to the menu
>which allows you to set the type of exposure control: standard or expose for
>the highlights.

That's what exposure compensation is for.

tony cooper

Apr 18, 2009, 2:37:32 AM4/18/09
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:36:34 -0500, Mark Sieving
<mark_s...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:51:45 +0100, "PDM"
><pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Just had a chat with Nikon UK. They say Nikon are not getting any feedback
>>on these problems.
>
>What problems? I haven't noticed any exposure problems with my D40.

This a change of subject, but I'm looking for some answers about my
Nikon D40. I generally shoot in the program mode or aperture mode.
For outdoor photography I set my ISO at 200. (Not Automatic; I
specifically set it to 200)

I generally don't look at my EXIF data unless I have taken some shots
of the same scene at different settings and want to see later which
setting I used on the better shot.

I've been noticing that the ISO is usually at 200 - as the camera was
set - but will be higher or lower on some shots. On the last batch of
photos on aperture priority I very carefully noted that the ISO was
set to 200 both at the beginning of the session and at the end. It
was never changed. EXIF says the ISO was usually at 200, but jumped
up to as high as 720 on some shots.

If I don't use the Automatic ISO setting, or shoot in Auto, what would
override the 200 setting?

If it makes a difference, I shoot RAW, and convert from NEF to DNG
when I download in Bridge and I edit in CS4.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PDM

Apr 18, 2009, 7:01:54 AM4/18/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Why are you changing the subject? Why not post a separate question? It is
considered very bad manners to do this.
PDM

PDM

Apr 18, 2009, 7:03:53 AM4/18/09

"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Well, your do have to use some judgement and common sense.
But you have failed to get the point. This is why Nikon hate this site and
take no notice even when he has a valid point.
PDM

PDM

Apr 18, 2009, 7:05:08 AM4/18/09

"Mark Sieving" <mark_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You haven't got one of these cameras have you? If you had you would know
exactly why exposure it is such a pain using EC on these cameras.
PDM

David J Taylor

Apr 18, 2009, 7:08:02 AM4/18/09
PDM wrote:
[]

> You haven't got one of these cameras have you? If you had you would
> know exactly why exposure it is such a pain using EC on these
> cameras. PDM

On the D40/D60 you press the compensation button and rotate a dial to the
compensation you want. How is this such a pain?

David

PDM

Apr 18, 2009, 7:21:14 AM4/18/09

"David J Taylor"
<david-...@blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:mwiGl.15655$OO7....@text.news.virginmedia.com...

Simple: you have to do it constantly. Compare this to other cameras in
Nikon's range: D300 and up. Exposure is spot on nearly every time and you
only have to make the occassional adjustment. Try one and see.
PDM

David J Taylor

Apr 18, 2009, 7:32:50 AM4/18/09

On my D60, the compensation is set more or less permanently at -1/3 stop.
I usually glance at the captured images and they are fine for the great
majority of the time. If they are wrong, I would first expose on a
different part of the scene, and only use the exposure compensation if I
will be taking several images needing similar adjustments. Certainly, for
the photos I take, there is no need to adjust the compensation
"constantly".

Cheers,
David

nospam

Apr 18, 2009, 8:32:23 AM4/18/09
In article <49e9b39a$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, PDM
<pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> >> As Ken Rockwell has mentioned this problem on his site, Nikon UK suggest
> >> that they may actually be deliberately ignoring this problem as they tend
> >> take everything he says with a very large pinch of salt. Shame, because
> >> there is a lot of useful stuff on his site.
> >
> > except it's mixed in with all sorts of bogus info and no real way to
> > tell the difference.
>
> Well, your do have to use some judgement and common sense.

why bother with a site that has a lot of bogus crap mixed in and where
the author admits he deliberately makes stuff up?

> But you have failed to get the point. This is why Nikon hate this site and
> take no notice even when he has a valid point.

no doubt they hate it cuz he's full of shit much of the time.

Focus

Apr 18, 2009, 9:29:45 AM4/18/09
"PDM" <pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Excellent info. I was already ticked off by the MM of my D90: blows out
every sky. To compensate you have to dial 2 stops down.
I'm on the phone, well, monday first thing...

--
---
Focus

J. Clarke

Apr 18, 2009, 9:07:12 AM4/18/09

No doubt they've never heard of it and couldn't care less about it. This
discussion reminds me of the flea with a hard-on lying on his back floating
down the river on a cork and shouting "OPEN THE DRAW BRIDGE".

nospam

Apr 18, 2009, 9:36:41 AM4/18/09
In article <HOWdnQCDKtZXSHTU...@novis.pt>, Focus
<do...@mail.me> wrote:

> Excellent info. I was already ticked off by the MM of my D90: blows out
> every sky. To compensate you have to dial 2 stops down.

user error.

Robert Coe

Apr 18, 2009, 11:07:48 AM4/18/09
wrote:
: On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:51:45 +0100, "PDM"

Fair enough, but what I surmise those having the problem would like to see is
to be able to incorporate the exposure compensation setting into [I'll use
Canon terminology because that's what I'm familiar with] a user-defined or
customized picture style.

Bob

Focus

Apr 18, 2009, 12:59:57 PM4/18/09

"nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Sure and when the brakes on the car don't work, I guess it's a user error
too?

I also always get blamed in restaurants when I'm not enjoying my food. The
waiter explains it's a consumer error...

With the camera pointed, the horizon exactly in the middle, with CW I get
excellent results. No blown sky, yet enough detail in the shadows. Change to
MM: up to 2 stops lighter. Change to spot: like CW.

It's now rainy and I've tuned the MM to -1 stop. Close to CW. Now I'll have
to see what it does in bright sunlight...
--
---
Focus

Mark Sieving

Apr 18, 2009, 1:14:38 PM4/18/09
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:05:08 +0100, "PDM"
<pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>"Mark Sieving" <mark_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:51:45 +0100, "PDM"
>> <pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Just had a chat with Nikon UK. They say Nikon are not getting any feedback
>>>on these problems.
>>
>> What problems? I haven't noticed any exposure problems with my D40.
>>
>>>What they may do is to add an extra option to the menu
>>>which allows you to set the type of exposure control: standard or expose
>>>for
>>>the highlights.
>>
>> That's what exposure compensation is for.
>
>You haven't got one of these cameras have you? If you had you would know
>exactly why exposure it is such a pain using EC on these cameras.

As I said, I have a D40. I still don't know what exposure problem
you're referring to. Could you describe the problems you've had?
Maybe you just got a bad sample.

Using exposure compensation is pretty easy. I haven't seen any need
to fiddle with it.

Focus

Apr 18, 2009, 1:29:15 PM4/18/09
"Mark Sieving" <mark_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The D90 has a MM over exposure problem, which the D40 doesn't share or at
least much less.

--
---
Focus

nospam

Apr 18, 2009, 2:35:59 PM4/18/09
In article <5d6dncb8VZWNmnfU...@novis.pt>, Focus
<do...@mail.me> wrote:

> >> Excellent info. I was already ticked off by the MM of my D90: blows out
> >> every sky. To compensate you have to dial 2 stops down.
> >
> > user error.
>
> Sure and when the brakes on the car don't work, I guess it's a user error
> too?

there have been accidents where a driver plowed into a crowd of people
or a storefront, sometimes injuring several people. they usually claim
the brakes didn't work or the car 'suddenly accelerated,' but it often
turns out they had pressed the accelerator pedal by mistake. so yes,
it does happen.

> I also always get blamed in restaurants when I'm not enjoying my food. The
> waiter explains it's a consumer error...

that's just stupid.

> With the camera pointed, the horizon exactly in the middle, with CW I get
> excellent results. No blown sky, yet enough detail in the shadows. Change to
> MM: up to 2 stops lighter. Change to spot: like CW.

either your camera is grossly miscalibrated or you are doing something
wrong. there are an awful lot of d90 users who don't seem to have this
problem.

ASAAR

Apr 18, 2009, 3:18:45 PM4/18/09
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:59:57 +0100, Focus wrote:

>>> Excellent info. I was already ticked off by the MM of my D90: blows out
>>> every sky. To compensate you have to dial 2 stops down.
>>
>> user error.
>
> Sure and when the brakes on the car don't work, I guess it's a user error
> too?
>
> I also always get blamed in restaurants when I'm not enjoying my food. The
> waiter explains it's a consumer error...

Sure thing, my fine ferschlugginer Focii. The mechanic and the
waiter know you quite well by now. The waiter appreciates your
varied orders, but the mechanic thinks otherwise, cringing every
time that you wheel into the garage in a new make/model. Couldn't
you pick one and stick with it, such as with the fabled 2CV?

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004015.html

Focus

Apr 18, 2009, 5:04:26 PM4/18/09

>> > user error.
>>
>> Sure and when the brakes on the car don't work, I guess it's a user error
>> too?
>
> there have been accidents where a driver plowed into a crowd of people
> or a storefront, sometimes injuring several people. they usually claim
> the brakes didn't work or the car 'suddenly accelerated,' but it often
> turns out they had pressed the accelerator pedal by mistake. so yes,
> it does happen.

Many years ago I had a new Chrysler Voyager when it needed the usual
service. Oil change and all that stuff. I picked it up and later I came to
an intersection with a highway ( I was on a secondary road) and I started to
brake. Guess what? I had no brakes at all! I pumped and pumped but the pedal
went all the way to the floor. I looked quick and very lucky for me and my
(then) 4 year old son, there was no traffic. Finally about 300 yards past
the intersection, the car came to a full stop in a cloud of smoke. Not
knowing what happened I took my son out quickly and stepped away from the
car. I called AAA (it was in Holland, there called WW) and the guy took a
look at the car. He asked me if it had been serviced lately and I confirmed.
He told me they probably put on new brake pads and forgot to tell me to
easily "brake them in".
He explained what happened was, the brake pads were against the discs all
the time and got hot. As a result the oil started cooking and turned to gas
and this is why I had no pressure.
Nobody from the garage said anything, not even that they had replaced the
brakes.
I was lucky, but I can understand how this might have gone very, very wrong.
The bad part of an accident like this is, that after the brakes and oil
cooled down, there is practically no evidence left. So the police (not that
technical in general!) could have easy drawn the conclusion it was a drivers
mistake...

Don't judge to quick what you don't know...

>> I also always get blamed in restaurants when I'm not enjoying my food.
>> The
>> waiter explains it's a consumer error...
>
> that's just stupid.

I agree. I'll never eat there again ;-)

>> With the camera pointed, the horizon exactly in the middle, with CW I get
>> excellent results. No blown sky, yet enough detail in the shadows. Change
>> MM: up to 2 stops lighter. Change to spot: like CW.
>
> either your camera is grossly miscalibrated or you are doing something
> wrong. there are an awful lot of d90 users who don't seem to have this
> problem.

But on DPreview,in the D40-D90 forum, there also were 34 people reporting
the same problem. Most people just don't seem to care enough to call
support. But I paid full price and expect a full product.

--
---
Focus

nospam

Apr 18, 2009, 7:38:24 PM4/18/09
In article <8PidnWPm3LHB3XfU...@novis.pt>, Focus
<do...@mail.me> wrote:

> Many years ago I had a new Chrysler Voyager when it needed the usual
> service. Oil change and all that stuff. I picked it up and later I came to
> an intersection with a highway ( I was on a secondary road) and I started to
> brake. Guess what? I had no brakes at all! I pumped and pumped but the pedal
> went all the way to the floor. I looked quick and very lucky for me and my
> (then) 4 year old son, there was no traffic. Finally about 300 yards past
> the intersection, the car came to a full stop in a cloud of smoke. Not
> knowing what happened I took my son out quickly and stepped away from the
> car. I called AAA (it was in Holland, there called WW) and the guy took a
> look at the car. He asked me if it had been serviced lately and I confirmed.
> He told me they probably put on new brake pads and forgot to tell me to
> easily "brake them in".
> He explained what happened was, the brake pads were against the discs all
> the time and got hot. As a result the oil started cooking and turned to gas
> and this is why I had no pressure.

if the pads were against the discs all the time, then the mechanic did
a shitty job. user error, but this time the user was the mechanic, not
the driver.

> >> With the camera pointed, the horizon exactly in the middle, with CW I get
> >> excellent results. No blown sky, yet enough detail in the shadows. Change
> >> MM: up to 2 stops lighter. Change to spot: like CW.
> >
> > either your camera is grossly miscalibrated or you are doing something
> > wrong. there are an awful lot of d90 users who don't seem to have this
> > problem.
>
> But on DPreview,in the D40-D90 forum, there also were 34 people reporting
> the same problem. Most people just don't seem to care enough to call
> support. But I paid full price and expect a full product.

wow, 34. how many d40-90s has nikon sold? millions?

Me

Apr 18, 2009, 9:57:42 PM4/18/09

I haven't used a D90, but I've used a D300, D200, D80, D70, Canon 5d,
and over the past week or so a Canon 5dII.

For preservation from blown highlights in scenes as you describe, then
IMO the D80 and Canon 5d (I and II) are about the same. Nikon dslrs
with the 1004 (IIRC) sensor ttl module seem to have better a Matrix
metering system than Canon or Nikon's 420 sensor system. I don't know
about metering in Canon's 1d/s range - haven't tried. But I don't read
a lot of complaints in forums from 5d I/II users, and as you've been
told before, on all these dslrs you've got histograms and flashing blown
highlight previews that should allow any half competent photographer to
nail exposures. If those features weren't needed or useful, then they
wouldn't be there.

Focus

Apr 19, 2009, 6:38:17 AM4/19/09

"Me" <us...@domain.invalid> wrote in message

That's BS.
Just because it's on a camera doesn't mean you should *have* to use it. It
should be there only for extreme cases, for example if the photographer
wants to intervene or change the light.
The D300 has focus fine tuning, but most people never need it.
My car has two airbags that only work when something is wrong; I had an
accident or the sensors malfunction.
If Nikon "brags" about how wonderful the MM system is with 3D color and
scene recognition with a database of 30.000 pictures, I start wondering if
any of those pictures had a very, very common landscape scene with sunshine.
Judging by the over exposure, I would think they only made picture in dusk
or after sunset.

I'm getting tired and weary of people that don't understand the main
concept: it's not working correctly. This has *nothing* to do with the fact
if I *can* get a good exposure after playing with the exposure compensation
or fine tuning.

遙Any P&S peace of shit can get an exposure like that without any
compensation, but a camera system that costs at least 5 times as much con
not.垂
And that's the bottom line.

I wish some people learn how to read and stop trying to teach.

--
---
Focus

Matt Clara

Apr 19, 2009, 9:01:11 AM4/19/09
"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in message

Really? 'Cause alexa.com ranks Mr. Rockwell's site as the 11,606 most
popular on the World Wide Web. I'm pretty sure Nikon is well aware of Mr.
Rockwell's site.

Me

Apr 20, 2009, 7:02:24 PM4/20/09
Focus wrote:

> 遙Any P&S peace of shit can get an exposure like that without any
> compensation, but a camera system that costs at least 5 times as much con
> not.垂
> And that's the bottom line.
>
> I wish some people learn how to read and stop trying to teach.

P&S cameras can meter from sensor data - not TTL sensors separate from
the imaging sensor as is the case with DSLRs (excl LV mode). So in that
case it's relatively easy to read sensor data before taking the shot,
and to adjust exposure accordingly.

Even if you're right (which I admit is possible) that the d90 matrix
system needs "tweaking" via a firmware fix, I'm still pretty sure that
the basis of your problem is that you've gone from a D300 to a D90.
Nikon put a cheaper 420 pixel sensor TTL metering system in the D50, and
AFAIK have retained that cheaper system in all consumer dslrs ever since
- IIRC the D70s was the last consumer dslr they made with the full 1005
pixel sensor. If it didn't make a difference, then they wouldn't have
retained the 1005 pixel sensor in their higher end models.