There's only one reason to buy a camera

Dudley Hanks

May 18, 2009, 6:53:15 PM5/18/09
You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell out the cash.

Take Care,
Dudley

--
Take Care,
Dudley

Nicko

May 18, 2009, 9:50:40 PM5/18/09
On May 18, 5:53 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell out the cash.

You forgot the part about wanting to make photographs that meet your
needs. I have noticed that people tend to forget that one on this
forum.

--
YOP...

Dudley Hanks

May 18, 2009, 10:09:23 PM5/18/09

"Nicko" <nervou...@gmail.com> wrote in message

--
YOP...

What part of "You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell
out the cash" do you not understand?

"Quality" covers "pphotographs that meet your needs" ...

Take Care,
Dudley

Nicko

May 18, 2009, 10:24:04 PM5/18/09
On May 18, 9:09 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> "Nicko" <nervous.n...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 18, 5:53 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
> > You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell out the cash.
>
> You forgot the part about wanting to make photographs that meet your
> needs.  I have noticed that people tend to forget that one on this
> forum.
>
> --
> YOP...
>
> What part of "You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell
> out the cash" do you not understand?

Mine was a comment about how certain posters here tend to look at
"quality" as entailing certain arbitrary specifications regarding
equipment.

What part of my sarcasm did you fail to understand?

--
YOP...

Dudley Hanks

May 18, 2009, 10:39:51 PM5/18/09

--
YOP...

Then, why did you snip the part of my comment that notes quality covers
photographs that meet the photographer's needs? If you are being sarcastic,
you shouldn't have to modify my text to make it look like your text was
misinterpreted.

Take Care,
Dudley

ray

May 18, 2009, 10:47:48 PM5/18/09
On Mon, 18 May 2009 22:53:15 +0000, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell out the
> cash.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Really. I suspect as many are bought on credit.

Dudley Hanks

May 18, 2009, 11:05:25 PM5/18/09

"ray" <r...@zianet.com> wrote in message

Well, Ray, I was thinking about that point after I posted my thought.
Probably, it would be a bit more accurate as follows:

You are happy enough with the features and quality to pay the price...

Take Care,
Dudley

Nicko

May 19, 2009, 7:09:46 AM5/19/09

But that would take all the fun out of trolling!

--
YOP...

whisky-dave

May 19, 2009, 10:46:08 AM5/19/09

"Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

I don;t think happy is the right word, acceptable parameters may fit.
I'd have preferred to buy a better camera I had the money
but didn't want to spend it on a camera of better quality,
it was a balancing act, I'd have liked a better camera, I'd have liked
more features but I'm sure all of us have downgraded our desires
in order to be practical about things.
I even brought a waterproof camera Beach snapshot type) which I thought
would
be really crap but I was presently surprised for the money which included
D&P.

Dudley Hanks

May 19, 2009, 1:25:16 PM5/19/09

"whisky-dave" <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote in message

> "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "ray" <r...@zianet.com> wrote in message

>>> Really. I suspect as many are bought on credit.
>>
>> Well, Ray, I was thinking about that point after I posted my thought.
>> Probably, it would be a bit more accurate as follows:
>>
>> You are happy enough with the features and quality to pay the price...
>>

> I don;t think happy is the right word, acceptable parameters may fit.
> I'd have preferred to buy a better camera I had the money
> but didn't want to spend it on a camera of better quality,
> it was a balancing act, I'd have liked a better camera, I'd have liked
> more features but I'm sure all of us have downgraded our desires
> in order to be practical about things.

That's for sure. I'd have loved to get the top end DSLR but couldn't afford
one, so I bought an entry level instead. And, I probably shoot as many (if
not more) pics with one of several P&S cams (in order to save wear and tear
on the DSLR). I do my practice shots with the cheaper ones. Then, when I
have something close to what I'm looking for with the compact, I do the
final pics with the XSi.

Perhaps, the following is getting closer to the only reason to buy any
camera:

You are sufficiently satisfied with the features and quality to pay the
price...

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

May 19, 2009, 1:30:47 PM5/19/09

On May 18, 9:39 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-

But that would take all the fun out of trolling!

--
YOP...

Small things amuse small minds...

Take Care,
Dudley

ray

May 19, 2009, 2:29:34 PM5/19/09

Unfortunately, that's rarely the case any more - that's why 'normal' in
the U.S. any more is 'broke'.

Nick

May 19, 2009, 9:27:25 PM5/19/09

"Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
You got it in one, nearly.
People buy a camera to take photos.
Unfortunately the other stuff is only evident post purchase.

Bob Larter

May 20, 2009, 2:52:28 AM5/20/09
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> That's for sure. I'd have loved to get the top end DSLR but couldn't afford
> one, so I bought an entry level instead. And, I probably shoot as many (if
> not more) pics with one of several P&S cams (in order to save wear and tear
> on the DSLR). I do my practice shots with the cheaper ones. Then, when I
> have something close to what I'm looking for with the compact, I do the
> final pics with the XSi.

You don't need to worry about wear & tear on your DSLR. Just thrash the
shit out of it, because it'll be obsolete by the time you wear it out
anyway. ;^)

whisky-dave

May 21, 2009, 10:40:11 AM5/21/09

"Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> That's for sure. I'd have loved to get the top end DSLR but couldn't
>> afford one, so I bought an entry level instead. And, I probably shoot as
>> many (if not more) pics with one of several P&S cams (in order to save
>> wear and tear on the DSLR). I do my practice shots with the cheaper
>> ones. Then, when I have something close to what I'm looking for with the
>> compact, I do the final pics with the XSi.
>
> You don't need to worry about wear & tear on your DSLR. Just thrash the
> shit out of it, because it'll be obsolete by the time you wear it out
> anyway. ;^)

Yes that's a good point too, the same can be said of computers.
Not forgetting that generally better cameras/computers get cheaper all the
time.

Robert Coe

May 23, 2009, 3:27:07 PM5/23/09
On Tue, 19 May 2009 02:09:23 GMT, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca>
wrote:
:
: "Nicko" <nervou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: news:6a8ca881-5370-4089...@o20g2000vbh.googlegroups.com...
: On May 18, 5:53 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...@blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
: > You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell out the cash.
:
: You forgot the part about wanting to make photographs that meet your
: needs. I have noticed that people tend to forget that one on this
: forum.

YOP...

What part of "You are happy enough with the features and quality to shell
out the cash" do you not understand?

"Quality" covers "pphotographs that meet your needs" ...

Take Care,
Dudley

I once worked for a company that was committed heart and soul to "quality".
They defined it very precisely as doing the exact absolute minimum the
customer would accept.

Bob

Dudley Hanks

May 24, 2009, 3:48:48 AM5/24/09

"whisky-dave" <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote in message

Sad, but true...

However, I think I put my cams through a bit more shock therapy than most.

For instance, we went to the Calgary zoo last weekend. I'd been looking
forward to it for quite some time. I mean, it's not everyday I get to shoot
tigers, lions, etc.

Unfortunately, I twisted my ankle the day before we left, so was hobbling a
bit on the trip. When we got to the zoo, I was juggling Mich's harness,
backpack and camera with one hand while opening the door with the other.
Ended up dropping the cam and broke a UV filter (which I ddon't normally
use). In addition to breaking the filter, it got pushed / jammed into the
end of the lens, so I never got to take a shot that day, since the only
other lens I brought was an old 75 - 300mm lens that doesn't autofocus very
well.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it's tricky handling a dog and a
camera at the same time, so I use the P&S a lot.

BTW, haven't got the damaged lens into the shop yet, so I don't know what
the repair cost will be. I'm hoping the lens itself didn't get damaged,
other than the filter threads.

Take Care,
dudley

Dudley Hanks

May 24, 2009, 3:48:48 AM5/24/09

"Robert Coe" <b...@1776.COM> wrote in message

When it comes to business, that's probably what the customer gets in the
vast majority of cases; one can't expect much more.

Take Care,
dudley

Dudley Hanks

May 24, 2009, 3:59:38 AM5/24/09

"Nick" <nic...@fume.co.uk> wrote in message

That's why we talk to friends, take a look at their pics, ask their
opinions, and after we make our choice, find out we still got it wrong...
:)

Take Care,
dudley

Ron Hunter

May 24, 2009, 5:04:15 AM5/24/09
Hummm. Dogs and zoos don't normally mix. How did the dog do around
said lions and tigers?

Dudley Hanks

May 24, 2009, 4:39:53 PM5/24/09

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message

Yep, Ron, you're right. Some zoos, like the Vancouver zoo, won't even let
them in. (yet to be challenged in court.) But, Calgary is really good. I
can take my dogs in and wander around through any of the exhibits. But,
there are some places in the zoo, like the avion / butterfly area, I stay
out of because it's just too hard for the dog to keep his / her mind on the
job at hand.

Mich is my third guide. My first, also a big male, got a bit skittish
around the big cats. Can't blame him, he was usually on the other end of
the food chain. My second, a smaller female, wanted to chase anything with
hooves, but wouldn't go near the predators.

Mich is really good. The big cats didn't even register on his attention
scale; he was all business. Even when we were standing by the leopard
cage, with the cat climbing as high (and as close) as possible, he was
focused on his guiding.

The only animal that managed to get his curiosity up was a big peacock that
strolled right past his face as we were sitting on a bench in a nice green
park area. I had to shorten the leash a bit for that one.

All in all, it was a good day. Had to cut my tour a bit short and wait on
the bench because of my ankle while the others checked things out more
closely, and I didn't get to take any keepers. But, I got a chance to play
with the 75 - 300mm lens using manual focus. Just ran it out to infinity
and tried to P&S some shots of things I could hear around me. The angle of
view was just a bit too narrow for me to get anything useful, but it was
good practice. With a bit more practice, I think I'll be able to use that
lens on holidays.

It's an old one from my A2, and the focus motor seems to be about to pack it
in. I should take it in for a rebuild, but I'll probably look for a newer
IS version instead.

Take Care,
Dudley