Questions about scanning my negatives as my output looks greenish!

Mel

Jan 18, 2009, 12:12:40 PM1/18/09
I have some questions about scanning my negatives as my output looks
kind of greenish!

I am using an old but still good Flatbed Linotype Hell scanner with
backlight in conjunction with Vuescan for Macs to do the scanning but
the output doesn't look as good as an original print of the negative.

1) Should I use one of those mini negative scanners (like the Vue
point etc) instead of a flatbed? Do they do a better job?

2) I do not have a negative carrier (I am simply putting the negative
on the flatbed). How does the negative carrier help and if I get one
would the colours or the output be better?

3) Are there different settings I should use (I set the scanning
software to transparency/color negative/sharpen photo/JPG output/no
color enhancement/no fading restoration)?

4) Playing with the color balance make some small difference (e.g.
switch from "white balance" to "landscape", etc.) but not much. Are
there any tips on using color balance?

5) I am not sure if the negative is dirty. Would this contribute to
the green color? If so how do I wash it?!

6) Do negatives fade or lose color!? My negatives have been in a dark
closet for the last 8 years. If so is this the cause for the greenish
look?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mel

sligoNo...@hotmail.com

Jan 18, 2009, 2:05:50 PM1/18/09
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:12:40 -0800 (PST), Mel <mel.ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I have some questions about scanning my negatives as my output looks
>kind of greenish!
>
>I am using an old but still good

A lot of improvements have come down the line in the last few
years. Your scanner may be old enough that it is jut not up the the
quality most people expect today.

>Flatbed Linotype Hell scanner with
>backlight in conjunction with Vuescan for Macs to do the scanning but
>the output doesn't look as good as an original print of the negative.
>
>1) Should I use one of those mini negative scanners (like the Vue
>point etc) instead of a flatbed? Do they do a better job?

There are good and bad scanners of both types.

>2) I do not have a negative carrier (I am simply putting the negative
>on the flatbed). How does the negative carrier help and if I get one
>would the colours or the output be better?

I don't now the hardware, but unless the hardware you are
using is designed for transparency and you are following the
instructions for it, you are not likely to get good results.

>3) Are there different settings I should use (I set the scanning
>software to transparency/color negative/sharpen photo/JPG output/no
>color enhancement/no fading restoration)?

That depends on the hardware and software. What does the
manufacturer of your scanner suggest.

>4) Playing with the color balance make some small difference (e.g.
>switch from "white balance" to "landscape", etc.) but not much. Are
>there any tips on using color balance?
>
>5) I am not sure if the negative is dirty. Would this contribute to
>the green color? If so how do I wash it?!

Being dirty would not contribute to a color problem.

>6) Do negatives fade or lose color!? My negatives have been in a dark
>closet for the last 8 years. If so is this the cause for the greenish
>look?

Yes color negatives do fade fast, even in a dark cool place.
Eight years is plenty of time to show color changes.

There are some software packages that do a good job of trying
to turn back the years. Add a skilful operator and it can be amazing
what they can do. It takes both the hardware and the
experience/knowledge.

Dave Cohen

Jan 18, 2009, 6:46:30 PM1/18/09

A friend of mine got one of those dedicated 35mm scanners that goes for
around $100. I borrowed it. It did a reasonable job on his negatives but
an awful job on my transparencies. Post processing helped, but I would
be wary unless you have a chance to evaluate first. The one I used had
no user accessible adjustments (and no easy way to know which way up to
insert the media).
Dave Cohen

tmo...@wildblue.net

Jan 19, 2009, 8:45:58 AM1/19/09

You are getting a greenish tint because the scanner is not
compensating for the orange mask on the negs. Yes negatives can
degrade, most modern scanners will compensate for the mask, I am
surprised VueScan doesn't do this, is it an older version? Do you have
curves or a levels type adjustment, this could help, again I'm
surprised Vuescan doesn't supply these tools.
Those little duplicator devices are nothing more than a small sensor,
low mp camera with an inferior lens system, I real down and dirty way
of copying or scanning images. A macro lens on a digital camera would
be better, but still not correct for the orange mask.
If you want a scanner that will do the job, start with an Epson V700,
if that isn't good enough, go to the Nikon 35mm scanners.

Tom

Mel

Jan 19, 2009, 11:01:27 AM1/19/09
to Mel Christie
On Jan 19, 8:45 am, tmon...@wildblue.net wrote:
> On Jan 18, 12:12 pm, Mel <mel.chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have some questions about scanning mynegativesas my output looks

> > kind of greenish!
>
> > I am using an old but still good Flatbed Linotype Hell scanner with
> > backlight in conjunction with Vuescan for Macs to do the scanning but
> > the output doesn't look as good as an original print of the negative.
>
> > 1) Should I use one of those mini negative scanners (like the Vue
> > point etc) instead of a flatbed? Do they do a better job?
>
> > 2) I do not have a negative carrier (I am simply putting the negative
> > on the flatbed). How does the negative carrier help and if I get one
> > would the colours or the output be better?
>
> > 3) Are there different settings I should use (I set the scanning
> > software to transparency/color negative/sharpen photo/JPG output/no
> > color enhancement/no fading restoration)?
>
> > 4) Playing with the color balance make some small difference (e.g.
> > switch from "white balance" to "landscape", etc.) but not much. Are
> > there any tips on using color balance?
>
> > 5) I am not sure if the negative is dirty. Would this contribute to
> > the green color? If so how do I wash it?!
>
> > 6) Donegativesfade or lose color!? Mynegativeshave been in a dark

> > closet for the last 8 years. If so is this the cause for the greenish
> > look?
>
> > Any help would be appreciated!
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Mel
>
> You are getting a greenish tint because the scanner is not
> compensating for the orange mask on the negs. Yesnegativescan
> degrade, most modern scanners will compensate for the mask, I am
> surprised VueScan doesn't do this, is it an older version? Do you have
> curves or a levels type adjustment, this could help, again I'm
> surprised Vuescan doesn't supply these tools.
> Those little duplicator devices are nothing more than a small sensor,
> low mp camera with an inferior lens system, I real down and dirty way
> of copying or scanning images. A macro lens on a digital camera would
> be better, but still not correct for the orange mask.
> If you want a scanner that will do the job, start with an Epson V700,
> if that isn't good enough, go to the Nikon 35mm scanners.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom!

It is probably because I don't know what I am doing?! My scanner is
very old (10 years?) so I am not sure what an orange mask is... If you
know where i would look on the VueScan s/w for the curves/level
adjustment I would appreciate it? Are you referring to the color
balance adjustments here?

Thanks

Mel

tmo...@wildblue.net

Jan 20, 2009, 8:35:10 AM1/20/09

The orange mask is the base color of negative film, much less orange
than it used to be but still enough color to mess up your color
balance. I'm not that familiar with VueScan but curves are generally
represented by a graph icon, my Epson software calls levels "histogram
adjustment" and curves "tone adjustment" both are very powerful
adjustments you can compensate and save your settings, don't overdue
the adjustments. Most modern scanners just compensate automatically
some even have profiles for different films.
The problem with the Linotype scanners is they are really not made to
do full tone film, great flatbeds but. Look at at the Epson V700
(wouldn't go lower) or the Nikon scanners LS5000 (4000 OK if you can
find one used) or if you do medium format the LS9000 (8000 is OK).

Tom

ppp

Jan 22, 2009, 6:36:34 AM1/22/09