Color matching with Nikon D80 & D90

1 view

eNo

Apr 21, 2009, 8:07:51 AM4/21/09
As documented at my Website, http://esfotoclix.com, under the "Color
Matching" link (toward the bottom of the page), I am struggling wtih
how best to color-match the D80 to the D90 in terms of color
rendition.

1) The D80 seems punchier, but less realistic than the D90.

2) The D90 seems more prone to yellowing of colors, especially in
daylight, so I'm thinking my next step should be to offset with WB.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

whinee

Apr 21, 2009, 11:16:46 AM4/21/09
The last entry in your site indicates you have discovered why you can only
do what you want to do with RAW images.
Why any experienced photographer would expect that in-camera processing from
one camera model would exactly match another is something I fail to
understand. The algorithms that control in-camera processing are not
designed for critical work but to produce results that engineers/designers
find aesthetically pleasing.
I did find your sample noise comparisons of the D80 and D90 useful as the
latter clearly has significantly lower noise. This can help me justify
purchasing a camera I want although I really do not need for my diminishing
time to devote to photography.
Although if the gods are kind and Sony/Nikon lower the price of a full frame
sensor to more reasonable levels . . .

eNo

Apr 21, 2009, 8:00:02 PM4/21/09
On Apr 21, 11:16 am, "whinee" <fac_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The last entry in your site indicates you have discovered why you can only
> do what you want to do with RAW images.
> Why any experienced photographer would expect that in-camera processing from
> one camera model would exactly match another is something I fail to
> understand. The algorithms that control in-camera processing are not
> designed for critical work but to produce results that engineers/designers
> find aesthetically pleasing.

Well, as an engineer, this not-so-experienced photographer would
expect engineer/designers to provide a mechanism to achieve consistent
results across the product line. They do so for the higher end models,
BTW -- the whole point of the D2X... Picture controls. And while
engineers may like certain color profiles better, why they would
change their mind by the time the next model is realized is more
puzzling than expecting different models to give me the same colors,
don't you think? I have a feeling that engineering preference for one
color profile over another had nothing to do with why the D90 and D80
render colors differently. It has to do with limitations or
performance profiles of the underlying electronics.

> I did find your sample noise comparisons of the D80 and D90 useful as the
> latter clearly has significantly lower noise. This can help me justify
> purchasing a camera I want although I really do not need  for my diminishing
> time to devote to photography.

I'm glad you found this helpful. The sample photos I posted actually
do little justice to the practical results I get on a weekly basis
when shooting with the D90 in low-lit conditions. It's really a
remarkable piece of electronics.

> Although if the gods are kind and Sony/Nikon lower the price of a full frame
> sensor to more reasonable levels . . .

That D700 would be nice, but I really don't want to afford it right
now.

Message has been deleted