[SI] "Filters" is up, pleast take a look!

Bowser

Jun 7, 2009, 8:14:24 PM6/7/09
All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Next mandate: The Road Less Travelled (Courtesy of Alan Browne)
Due date to follow sometime this week. I need to arrange my business and
vacation travel first.

tony cooper

Jun 7, 2009, 11:15:24 PM6/7/09
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:14:24 -0400, "Bowser" <u...@gone.now> wrote:

>All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
>and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

I've always observed a self-imposed rule of shooting for the mandate
and not submitting an old image that happens to fit the mandate.
That's my personal rule because I think it's more of a challenge.

I have used the Photoshop filters on some of my shots, though. All
except the "Fireworks?" one were done before the mandate was
announced.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/gallery/8477081_eRzXG#557587753_X33MJ

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Paul Furman

Jun 8, 2009, 1:44:32 AM6/8/09
Bowser wrote:
> All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best
> ones, and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

My submissions used blown digicam bayer filter exposures looking into a
setting sun, darkened about 2-1/2 stops in lightroom from raw to recover
whatever remained. The second is the Coit Tower, SF, a cylindrical tower
burned off to a point by the sun. I don't know if that horizontal split
is a sensor/shutter artifact or a cloud layer but I suspect the sensor.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Bowser

Jun 8, 2009, 6:19:21 AM6/8/09

"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:14:24 -0400, "Bowser" <u...@gone.now> wrote:
>
>>All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
>>and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>>
>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters
>
> I've always observed a self-imposed rule of shooting for the mandate
> and not submitting an old image that happens to fit the mandate.
> That's my personal rule because I think it's more of a challenge.

Guilty as charged. I just haven't had any opportunities to get out and shoot
over the last several weeks.

Next one should be better since I've got some travel ahead.

tony cooper

Jun 8, 2009, 7:14:53 AM6/8/09
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 06:19:21 -0400, "Bowser" <u...@gone.now> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:14:24 -0400, "Bowser" <u...@gone.now> wrote:
>>
>>>All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
>>>and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters
>>
>> I've always observed a self-imposed rule of shooting for the mandate
>> and not submitting an old image that happens to fit the mandate.
>> That's my personal rule because I think it's more of a challenge.
>
>Guilty as charged. I just haven't had any opportunities to get out and shoot
>over the last several weeks.

I didn't mean that others should do as I do. I'm retired. I can take
the time. The ideas are what is difficult.

Peter Chant

Jun 8, 2009, 3:16:21 PM6/8/09
Bowser wrote:

> All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
> and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Can you confirm the submission address? I made a submission but it is not
there.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

tony cooper

Jun 8, 2009, 9:40:57 PM6/8/09
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:14:24 -0400, "Bowser" <u...@gone.now> wrote:

>All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best ones,
>and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Tim Conway - old - (sun and hay bales) Nice composition, The hazy
look works for me.

Bret Douglas - blue - This is an example where technique distracts and
dominates. All I can think of is "How did he do that?". It's a great
demonstration of whatever technique was used, but the end impression
is that its an exercise in special effects and not photography.

SavageDuck - Red Sky - Great image. I'm torn on the cropping, though.
Should the fence be in or out? I think I'd take it out because any
element of a composition that competes with the overall composition is
a distraction. Nicely framed, too.

Alan Browne - (filters) - Precise and pure, but too sterile.

On the others...If post-processing filters are to be used, a light
touch is usually better than a heavy application. The photo itself
has to come through.

Bob Larter

Jun 12, 2009, 12:03:34 AM6/12/09
Bowser wrote:
> All the usual suspects have shot tons of pics, filtered out the best
> ones, and submitted for your viewing pleasure. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/filters

Some brief comments on the shots that reached out & grabbed me:

Tim Conway: Gorgeous colours & tones, great composition, maybe could've
used a little more contrast.

Bret Douglas: The blue works very on the bench, & in stark contrast to
the light from the camera bag. IMO, a tighter composition would've
worked better. I would've trimmed from the right to the foot, from the
top to the hat, & from the left to the left side of the seat.

Alan Browne, #2: I liked the creative interpretation of the mandate, &
the effective use of a single ellipse of colour to emphasize what is
otherwise a monochrome, geometric image. Maybe the top-left of the
graduated filter could've been as sharp as the other objects, but it's a
minor point.