Dileep's Hungry Heron

ASAAR

Jun 27, 2009, 6:19:41 PM6/27/09

Calvin T

Jun 27, 2009, 7:12:16 PM6/27/09
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:19:41 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:

> Wonderful sequence, from Qatar :

You don't get out much, do you.

>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=32237552

The poster/photographer there is a moron. I've not seen one heron species
yet that didn't fish that way. This allows for plenty of time to set up for
the "strike shot". Then you just remain as patient as the heron. Some of
the more interesting photos I've taken are where a heron will form a
full-circle umbrella with their wings. Makes for some very artistic
compositions with the included reflection in mirror-still waters. The fish
will look for and are attracted to this shade in warmer climates and waters
when in direct sunlight. I am amazed then at how they can hold their
outstretched wings so still for so long. I think my most favorite heron
shot is where an alligator on the bank was just a yard away from the heron.
The heron determined to keep fishing/waiting there, the alligator hoping to
steal either fish or heron. It was a tense 20-30 minutes of waiting on my
part. The heron won his stance, the alligator too slow to get either when
the heron was finally successful. A "keeper" photograph the results.

Robert Coe

Jun 28, 2009, 11:20:25 AM6/28/09
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:12:16 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:

IOW, "The picture is a piece of crap because I'm not the one who took it."
Does that about sum it up?

Bob

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 12:08:37 PM6/28/09

No.

The pictures are, "Eh, there's thousands like that in the world, but the
creator of them is blowing smoke up everyone's ass because he knows nothing
about bird behavior. Which makes his claims about being a bird photographer
a bunch of bullshit. He was probably taking burst-mode snapshots while on
vacation, as he normally does using his camera in automatic machine-gun
point and shoot mode, and just happened to get some from a nearby ditch
that are better than he's done before. Never once has he taken photos of
any kind of heron before or he'd know better about how they commonly fish.
All species of herons hunt similarly. His being 'astounded' about their
photographed behavior says it all. Green-around-the-gills is putting it
mildly."

That about sums it up.

Got it now?

George Kerby

Jun 28, 2009, 1:26:35 PM6/28/09

On 6/27/09 6:12 PM, in article pq8d451fdh4c2k0hs...@4ax.com,
"Calvin T" <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:

Care to share?

Robert Coe

Jun 28, 2009, 1:39:16 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:08:37 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:

Yes, I think so. At least I'm confident that I've deduced a couple of tenets
of your philosophy:
1. "I'm smart, and the rest of those yokels are stupid."
2. "Never use ten words when 100 will suffice."

Bob

ASAAR

Jun 28, 2009, 1:44:38 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:20:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

> IOW, "The picture is a piece of crap because I'm not the one who took it."
> Does that about sum it up?

Not really. It might be the case if links were ever posted to any
of the supposedly "award winning" shots that she/he/it claims to
have taken.

Its next post showed that it hasn't even the slightest
understanding of what he saw. And it's nice that the troll did go
out of its way to view the images [I trolled the troll! <g>], but
the troll showed that it either hasn't the slightest understanding
of what was seen ("He was probably taking burst-mode snapshots"), or
more likely, it's just here to fabricate and troll.

In fact, the 8 shot sequence (shot with a D300 and 500mm VR f/4
with 1.4 TC) took just a bit over 4 minutes to complete. The
compliments for the shots of the Squacco Heron patiently waiting
for, catching and managing to get a rather large fish down its
gullet were quite a bit more enthusiastic than any I've seen before
on DPR, and the "fantastic"s and "AWESOME!"s seemed much more
sincere than the usual rubber stamp variety. Full EXIFs were also
embedded in the images. Well worth a look for any that missed it :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=32237552

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 3:25:36 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:26:35 -0500, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Paying customers only (more than you're probably worth in total), and
that's only if I like you or your values. Quite the limited and privileged
audience. You are not among them, I assure you.

sligoNo...@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2009, 3:26:11 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:39:16 -0400, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:08:37 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:
>: On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:20:25 -0400, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:
>:
>: >On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:12:16 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:
>: >: On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:19:41 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:
>: >:
>: >: > Wonderful sequence, from Qatar :

>:
>: That about sums it up.
>:
>: Got it now?
>
>Yes, I think so. At least I'm confident that I've deduced a couple of tenets
>of your philosophy:
>1. "I'm smart, and the rest of those yokels are stupid."
>2. "Never use ten words when 100 will suffice."
>
>Bob

I have to totally agree with Bob.

sligoNo...@hotmail.com

Jun 28, 2009, 3:30:19 PM6/28/09
<ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Care to share?

I doubt if you will get a response. After all he would need
to have some very nice photos to even equal the ones posted.

It just goes back to those who can't, criticize those who do.

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 4:05:04 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:44:38 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:20:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
>
>> IOW, "The picture is a piece of crap because I'm not the one who took it."
>> Does that about sum it up?
>
> Not really. It might be the case if links were ever posted to any
>of the supposedly "award winning" shots that she/he/it claims to
>have taken.
>
> Its next post showed that it hasn't even the slightest
>understanding of what he saw. And it's nice that the troll did go
>out of its way to view the images [I trolled the troll! <g>], but
>the troll showed that it either hasn't the slightest understanding
>of what was seen ("He was probably taking burst-mode snapshots"), or
>more likely, it's just here to fabricate and troll.
>
> In fact, the 8 shot sequence (shot with a D300 and 500mm VR f/4
>with 1.4 TC) took just a bit over 4 minutes to complete.

Holy fuck are you ever an amazingly ignorant pretend-photographer moron.
Can't you even read EXIF info properly?

After the first frozen-still heron shot taken at 24:58 while he was still
waiting for the heron to do something, then there's a quick sequence pulled
from many shots done between the times of 28:08 (first strike) and 28:40
(fish in gullet), a period of 32 seconds where anything was really
happening, culled from a burst-sequence. Then a final shot (fish in
gizzard) while he took his time and composed one more at 29.02. Or more
likely, he just kept playing machine-gun vacationing snapshooter and pulled
that one out of the hundreds he snapped off in auto-everything mode.

No heron in the world is going to take a leisurely 4 minutes to gulp down
any fish. ARE YOU THAT AMAZINGLY FUCKING STUPID, ASSAR-THE-TROLL? Again
giving testament to the fact that you've never gotten beyond the door of
your basement and have never held any camera in your lifetime.

ASSAR? Go stick your head back up your ass where you always store it.
You're nothing but a nuisance. Everyone always having to correct your
blatant stupidity and obvious displays of ignorance. You're nothing but a
tiresome parasitic usenet worm.

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 4:52:32 PM6/28/09

Oh, what the hell. Let's take pity on these basement-living shut-ins one
more time this month.

Here's a shot while I was setting up for the long wait, a commercially
useless one. Long before anything interesting happened. Slight correction,
this is not a Great Blue Heron (White Phase) as I was remembering it, it's
a Great Egret. However, they hunt no differently than all herons I've ever
photographed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3344/3669518856_8d7af1185b_o.jpg

ASAAR

Jun 28, 2009, 4:55:39 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:05:04 -0500, Calvin The Lesser wrote:

> You're nothing but a nuisance.

Thanks for biting one more time, troll. As you're nothing but a
nuisance to this newsgroup, it's fitting and quite enjoyable to see
that the table has turned. Is the back or your neck turning red?

>> In fact, the 8 shot sequence (shot with a D300 and 500mm VR f/4
>> with 1.4 TC) took just a bit over 4 minutes to complete.

> After the first frozen-still heron shot taken at 24:58 while he was still

> waiting for the heron to do something, then there's a quick sequence pulled
> from many shots done between the times of 28:08 (first strike) and 28:40
> (fish in gullet), a period of 32 seconds where anything was really
> happening, culled from a burst-sequence. Then a final shot (fish in
> gizzard) while he took his time and composed one more at 29.02. Or more
> likely, he just kept playing machine-gun vacationing snapshooter and pulled
> that one out of the hundreds he snapped off in auto-everything mode.
>
> No heron in the world is going to take a leisurely 4 minutes to gulp down
> any fish.

Or course not. You've just shown once again a lack of
comprehension. If you think anyone said that it took four minutes
to gulp down a fish your fevered imagination is working overtime.
The entire 8 shot sequence took four minutes, and it was completely
obvious that it wasn't taken with an AF-C burst. You used to be
better at simulating reasonable logic. Now you're just coming
across as being rather stupid. All the better for others to more
easily see through your inane posts. :)

George Kerby

Jun 28, 2009, 5:43:47 PM6/28/09

On 6/28/09 2:25 PM, in article dlgf459pbr64hfr50...@4ax.com,
"Calvin T" <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:

So let me put it in a manner you might understand:

"Put Up - or Shut Up."

�Comprende?

George Kerby

Jun 28, 2009, 5:57:31 PM6/28/09

On 6/28/09 3:52 PM, in article oskf45h8tvpbklkt1...@4ax.com,
"Calvin T" <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:

That's not even a good job for the ancient Digital Darkroom, let alone
Photoshop. Thanks for proving that you are nothing. How close is that bridge
that you live under from this locale?

Robert Coe

Jun 28, 2009, 10:25:19 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:52:32 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:
: Oh, what the hell. Let's take pity on these basement-living shut-ins one

: more time this month.
:
: Here's a shot while I was setting up for the long wait, a commercially
: useless one. Long before anything interesting happened. Slight correction,
: this is not a Great Blue Heron (White Phase) as I was remembering it,
: it's a Great Egret. However, they hunt no differently than all herons
: I've ever photographed.
:
: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3344/3669518856_8d7af1185b_o.jpg

It was nice of the alligator to get out of the pond and let the bird fish
there. I wonder if you would have been as accommodating.

Bob

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 10:27:24 PM6/28/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:57:31 -0500, George Kerby <ghost_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Ooops, too late. Thanks for playing. Come back when you know something
about cameras, photography, and wildlife.

You lose.

Was mildly fun, but only mildly. I'd ask for my money back if you were a
movie.

Calvin T

Jun 28, 2009, 10:36:50 PM6/28/09

The alligator was not getting out of the pond. On the contrary, this was
pre-tension mode. It turned around and was ready to get egret + fish or
egret alone. Since 'gators (and egrets) react on reptilian brain-stem
functions alone, it waited until there was more activity than the
still-life egret.

Really people (i.e. know-nothing trolls), you should get out of your
basements more often.

Would I have been more accommodating? Not in your life. Survival of the
fittest, always. Catch up. No wait, don't bother. I'd rather watch you die.

Matt Clara

Jun 28, 2009, 10:37:47 PM6/28/09

"Calvin T" <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:44:38 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:

Killfiles. Take one and check your blood pressure in a week.

Matt Clara

Jun 28, 2009, 10:41:56 PM6/28/09

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:19:41 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:
>

>> Wonderful sequence, from Qatar :
>
>>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=32237552

I know one thing--DPreview's forum format sucks big time.

Bob Larter

Jun 29, 2009, 12:23:58 AM6/29/09
sligoNo...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:39:16 -0400, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:08:37 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:
>> : On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:20:25 -0400, Robert Coe <b...@1776.COM> wrote:
>> :
>> : >On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:12:16 -0500, Calvin T <c...@spamprevention.net> wrote:
>> : >: On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:19:41 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:
>> : >:
>> : >: > Wonderful sequence, from Qatar :

>> :
>> : That about sums it up.
>> :
>> : Got it now?
>>
>> Yes, I think so. At least I'm confident that I've deduced a couple of tenets
>> of your philosophy:
>> 1. "I'm smart, and the rest of those yokels are stupid."
>> 2. "Never use ten words when 100 will suffice."
>>
>> Bob
>
> I have to totally agree with Bob.

Ditto.

Bob Larter