Spring Pictures

Russell D.

Apr 17, 2009, 6:26:37 PM4/17/09
Here are a few pictures I took yesterday. I'm interested in any critiques.

http://tinyurl.com/dhwv88

or

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdurtschi/SpringSnow?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6RupTyod6aFQ&feat=email#slideshow

Thanks for looking.

Russell

Bob Williams

Apr 18, 2009, 4:44:50 AM4/18/09

You have some VERY nice shots there.
You have a good eye for composition.
Bob Williams

Focus

Apr 19, 2009, 12:38:20 PM4/19/09

"Russell D." <r...@sfcn.org> wrote in message

Site blinks, jumps, runs: very irritating.
Some nice pics!

--
---
Focus

Message has been deleted

Savageduck

Apr 19, 2009, 4:31:39 PM4/19/09

The slide show he has there is set at a default 3 seconds. If you move
your cursor to reveal the controls you will find you can adjust the
interval timing to make the display more tolerable.
It is not a case of being locked into what you initially see.

...and yes, there are some nice pics there

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Sharon

Apr 20, 2009, 10:28:37 AM4/20/09

"Russell D." <r...@sfcn.org> wrote in message

Very nice shots. Where were these taken?

Sharon

John McWilliams

Apr 20, 2009, 11:20:42 AM4/20/09
Sharon wrote:
> "Russell D." <r...@sfcn.org> wrote in message
>> Here are a few pictures I took yesterday. I'm interested in any critiques.
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/rdurtschi/SpringSnow?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6RupTyod6aFQ&feat=email#slideshow
>>
>> Thanks for looking.

> Very nice shots. Where were these taken?

Somewhere cold! I am betting Colorado or Utah....
And, agreed, nice stuff.

--
john mcwilliams

Message has been deleted

Robert Coe

Apr 20, 2009, 6:32:15 PM4/20/09
On 17 Apr 2009 22:26:37 GMT, "Russell D." <r...@sfcn.org> wrote:
: Here are a few pictures I took yesterday. I'm interested in any critiques.

When I try to view those images with IE7, they appear *extremely* OOF.
Shrinking them way down helps a little, but most of them still look pretty bad
and none look really good. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bob

Russell D.

Apr 20, 2009, 7:20:27 PM4/20/09
m...@mine.net wrote:
> Another reason not to go directly into the slideshow. From the gallery
> page:
>
> Apr 16, 2009
> Spanish Fork, UT

Thanks, all, for you comments. It was a mistake using the slide show
link. Here is the gallery link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdurtschi/SpringSnow?feat=email#

I also should have been more specific in the critique that I was after.
I'm not very confident in what I'm doing in post processsng (I use GIMP)
and was wondering if the shots look OK. I didn't do a lot to
them--mostly white balance adjustment and sharpening. I'm trying to
learn how to use unsharp mask. Do any of them look over sharpened or
under sharpened? Any pointers on properly using unsharp mask?

Thank,

Russell

Russell D.

Apr 20, 2009, 7:21:05 PM4/20/09

Bob,

Try using the link to gallery that I just posted above.

Russell

tony cooper

Apr 20, 2009, 8:02:29 PM4/20/09

I looked at the gallery in Firefox, and none look at all out-of-focus.

In answer to Russell's comment, none looked overly-sharpened.
Photographs are unique, and the subject matter determines which can
stand more sharpening than others. Snow-covered objects absorb a lot
of sharpening because the major content is soft.

Crisp and edgy works with the subject matter.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

Apr 21, 2009, 7:38:39 PM4/21/09
On 20 Apr 2009 23:21:05 GMT, "Russell D." <r...@sfcn.org> wrote:

I did, and it didn't help. But I figured it out, right after I posted my
earlier message. It turns out that I'm using a slow line, and in most cases
the browser will draw the picture, slowly but in full resolution, from top to
bottom. But not in this case. From that site, the pictures get drawn in very
low resolution, and successive waves of new information make all of them
sharper and sharper. I left the browser open while I composed my message; and
after I sent it, I was surprised to see that the pictures had sharpened up
considerably. So I just kept waiting until the images that others had been
raving about finally materialized. And, yes, they are quite good.

Bob

Message has been deleted