Inkjets

ransley

Jun 18, 2009, 8:04:29 AM6/18/09
How often should a printer left idle be made to print a photo to keep
the heads clean-working, are the jets in the cartrige, so if they clog
you just buy a new ink cartrige? Ive idled mine for months and printed
fine the other day, I was just wondering what is a safe time frame for
an idle period.

daveFaktor

Jun 18, 2009, 8:08:33 AM6/18/09

If you switch the printer off, there is a felt cap that covers the heads
and it should be OK for a month or so.

michael adams

Jun 18, 2009, 9:15:58 AM6/18/09

"ransley" <Mark_R...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Depends on the make.

To test it, you don't print a photo, that would waste ink. Most have a test page
- maybe on the utilities tab on the print dialogue box - otherwise just draw some
different coloured lines or small circles in a DTP program and print those out.

In most brands HP for certain, the jets are in cartridge. This makes cartridges
more expensive but easier to clean, and blocked jets aren't the end of the world.
Just but a new cartridge if cleaning fails. Some cartridges are chipped but others
can be refilled - there's even a market in empty HP cartridges on eBay.

One exception is Epson. They use a different technology with piezo electric
jets - the others work on heat or something - which are in the printer
and if the jets get blocked and the inbuilt cleaning routine won't work
then you're into witchcraft and gizmos. Including cleaning cartridges
or doing it yourself with Windex, ammonia, sponges etc. Keeping the thing
working can be a hobby in itself.

I own both a HP and an Epson.

I'm not sure about Lexmark or Canon but the info should be on the web. Epson are
the only ones using piezo electric I'm sure of that.

Another point with cartridges is that drying out and cleaning may be dependent
on the type of ink being used in the cartridge. For the same printer you can get
cartridges using both pigment and dye based inks. Something like that.
Some are more fade proof than others.

michael adams

whisky-dave

Jun 18, 2009, 9:37:21 AM6/18/09

"daveFaktor" <davef...@this.group> wrote in message

That might depend on the printer model, on some you can remove the cartridge
and place it in a holder to stop it drying up.
On my olde epson 1270 I leave it on 24/7 and that seems to limit head
cleaning problems
and I rarely print more than a few pages a week, it can be 2 weeks between
prints.
Most of my prints aren't photos either.
Print heads can be cleaned using isobutonal type cleaning fluids manually if
they get really gundged up but the result might not be good enough for
a photo quality print out.

ray

Jun 18, 2009, 11:09:48 AM6/18/09

I try to make it a rule to run something through my Epson Stylus R320
every year or so, whether it needs it or not.

Marvin

Jun 18, 2009, 11:33:47 AM6/18/09

HP printers are best for those who don't print a lot. The
heads are in the cartridges. If they do clog because or
prolonged non-use (which is rare in my experience), the
problem can usually be solved by taking the cartridge out of
the printer and placing it head-down in a shallow pool of
water, then printing a few times. For the best photo
prints, get one of HP's special black ink cartridges for
photo prints. The cartridge comes with a holder that keep s
the head from drying out. I've gone weeks between uses of
that cartridge, and had it work perfectly when I did need
it. For other printing, I often use cartridges I've
refilled myself. It isn't a hard procedure, but i usually
get some ink on my fingers.

Message has been deleted

Bob Larter

Jun 18, 2009, 9:52:53 PM6/18/09

It depends a lot on the humidity & dustiness. I always recommend that
people keep a plastic/vinyl cover over their inkjet when not in use.

Bob Larter

Jun 18, 2009, 9:53:57 PM6/18/09

Most printers will automatically park their heads after a certain time
with no printing.

Bob Larter

Jun 18, 2009, 9:55:03 PM6/18/09

Ordinary Windex on a lint-free tissue works very well on print heads.

John Navas

Jun 18, 2009, 10:16:30 PM6/18/09
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:55:03 +1000, Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com>
wrote in <4a3aeff7$1...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>Ordinary Windex on a lint-free tissue works very well on print heads.

Skip the branded crap, and just use a dilute solution of ammonia.

--
Best regards,
John (Panasonic DMC-FZ28, and several others)

PDM

Jun 19, 2009, 3:39:40 AM6/19/09

"ransley" <Mark_R...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wonder how much of a problem cloging really is. An old Epson stored for 6
years with carts started up first time perfectly. I've never really had a
problem with Epson or Canon, only HP where the carts have build in heads.
I've always managed to unclog even the most stubborn head after 3-4 head
cleans. I wonder if this is this more of a problem with 3rd party carts and
inks? Years ago bought some really rubbish ink that clogged up after an
hours use.

PDM

michael adams

Jun 19, 2009, 4:09:56 AM6/19/09

"John Navas" <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:55:03 +1000, Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com>
> wrote in <4a3aeff7$1...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
> >Ordinary Windex on a lint-free tissue works very well on print heads.
>
> Skip the branded crap, and just use a dilute solution of ammonia.

That's only true if you have another use for a bottle of ammonia
other than cleaning print heads. With Windex you can at least also
clean windows.

In the UK anyway, ammonia probably works out more expensive than
branded window cleaner per liquid oz. or whatever, as so few people
have a use for it nowadays. That's if you can find it on sale.

michael adams

John Navas

Jun 19, 2009, 10:33:47 AM6/19/09
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:09:56 +0100, "michael adams"
<mjad...@onetel.net.uk> wrote in <7a0vevF...@mid.individual.net>:

>"John Navas" <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:55:03 +1000, Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com>
>> wrote in <4a3aeff7$1...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>>
>> >Ordinary Windex on a lint-free tissue works very well on print heads.
>>
>> Skip the branded crap, and just use a dilute solution of ammonia.
>
>That's only true if you have another use for a bottle of ammonia
>other than cleaning print heads. With Windex you can at least also
>clean windows.

Ammonia is great on windows.

>In the UK anyway, ammonia probably works out more expensive than
>branded window cleaner per liquid oz. or whatever, as so few people
>have a use for it nowadays. That's if you can find it on sale.

Quite cheap here in the USA, great value for cleaning tasks.
<http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-household-uses-of-ammonia.htm>

John Navas

Jun 19, 2009, 10:35:21 AM6/19/09
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:39:40 +0100, "PDM"
<pdcm99[deletethisbit]@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
<4a3b4...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>:

You've been lucky. I've had clogged heads with all major brands of
printers, most recently a Canon that hasn't been used in over a year.

michael adams

Jun 19, 2009, 11:05:21 AM6/19/09

"John Navas" <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

I've bought ammonia myself to try and clear an Epson as the nearest equivalent
to Windex in the UK is pink stuff called Windolene. With the other brands
of window cleaner you don't know what extras you get.

The smell of ammonia on windows would be enough to put me off, along with
most of the local tom cats I'd imagine. Which could be a bonus I suppose.

Also I can never get it out out of my head that it's what they use to clean
up with, after using the electric chair. According to Julius Rosenberg anyway.

michael adams

John Navas

Jun 19, 2009, 11:53:25 AM6/19/09
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:05:21 +0100, "michael adams"
<mjad...@onetel.net.uk> wrote in <7a1npvF...@mid.individual.net>:

>"John Navas" <spamf...@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> Ammonia is great on windows.

>> Quite cheap here in the USA, great value for cleaning tasks.
>> <http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-household-uses-of-ammonia.htm>

>I've bought ammonia myself to try and clear an Epson as the nearest equivalent
>to Windex in the UK is pink stuff called Windolene. With the other brands
>of window cleaner you don't know what extras you get.
>
>The smell of ammonia on windows would be enough to put me off, along with
>most of the local tom cats I'd imagine. Which could be a bonus I suppose.

Don't use ammonia full strength on windows, only a capful or two to a
quart of water, which shouldn't smell that bad. Be sure to get the kind
without suds or lemon.

Vinegar is another good cleaner that works well on windows, either alone
or mixed with ammonia.

jeffc

Jun 20, 2009, 7:06:07 AM6/20/09
I was told by Epson that a printer which will not be used for a long
time should be put through a cleaning cycle and
then turned off. Otherwise, the printer should be left on 24/7.

Bob Larter

Jun 21, 2009, 8:23:30 PM6/21/09
John Navas wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:55:03 +1000, Bob Larter <bobby...@gmail.com>
> wrote in <4a3aeff7$1...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
>> Ordinary Windex on a lint-free tissue works very well on print heads.
>
> Skip the branded crap, and just use a dilute solution of ammonia.

Yep, that works too.

John Turco

Jun 22, 2009, 4:19:52 AM6/22/09
michael adams wrote:

> "ransley" <Mark_R...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > How often should a printer left idle be made to print a photo to keep
> > the heads clean-working, are the jets in the cartrige, so if they clog
> > you just buy a new ink cartrige? Ive idled mine for months and printed
> > fine the other day, I was just wondering what is a safe time frame for
> > an idle period.
>
> Depends on the make.
>
> To test it, you don't print a photo, that would waste ink. Most have a test page
> - maybe on the utilities tab on the print dialogue box - otherwise just draw some
> different coloured lines or small circles in a DTP program and print those out.
>
> In most brands HP for certain, the jets are in cartridge. This makes cartridges
> more expensive but easier to clean, and blocked jets aren't the end of the world.
> Just but a new cartridge if cleaning fails. Some cartridges are chipped but others
> can be refilled - there's even a market in empty HP cartridges on eBay.
>
> One exception is Epson. They use a different technology with piezo electric
> jets - the others work on heat or something - which are in the printer
> and if the jets get blocked and the inbuilt cleaning routine won't work
> then you're into witchcraft and gizmos. Including cleaning cartridges
> or doing it yourself with Windex, ammonia, sponges etc. Keeping the thing
> working can be a hobby in itself.

<edited for brevity>

Hello, Michael:

Your remarks, eerily echo my personal experiences (i.e., having owned, both a
trouble-free Hewlett-Packard "Photosmart D7160" and an infernal predecessor,
the Epson "Stylus Photo 825").

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Willie Stroker

Jun 22, 2009, 6:21:54 AM6/22/09

Certainly HP make some interesting printers but by and by Epson make the
most professional printers. I own both Epson and HP wide format
printers. The HP costs roughly 45% of what the Epson costs to run but
it's dye inks require speciality paper not easily found in Australia.

The Epson's cost of running comes down when you use 3rd part inks and
their real value is in the variety of materials they can print on.

My next wide format printer will also be an Epson because whilst HP are
interesting, the lack of service from HP in providing a continuous
supply of their papers and canvas is definitely going to sink them long
term. It's like a good product let down by poor service.

--
With age come a new ability ...multi-tasking.
I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!

John Turco

Jun 26, 2009, 1:31:04 AM6/26/09
Willie Stroker wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> Certainly HP make some interesting printers but by and by Epson make the
> most professional printers. I own both Epson and HP wide format
> printers. The HP costs roughly 45% of what the Epson costs to run but
> it's dye inks require speciality paper not easily found in Australia.
>
> The Epson's cost of running comes down when you use 3rd part inks and
> their real value is in the variety of materials they can print on.
>
> My next wide format printer will also be an Epson because whilst HP are
> interesting, the lack of service from HP in providing a continuous
> supply of their papers and canvas is definitely going to sink them long
> term. It's like a good product let down by poor service.

Hello, Willie:

I'm through with Epson, forever! Never, again, will I buy >any< of that
company's overrated products.

> With age come a new ability ...multi-tasking.
> I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!

No comment. <g>