Rechargable batteries

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 11:51:03 AM3/12/09
Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
pictures.

Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Marvin

Mar 12, 2009, 12:14:26 PM3/12/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
> my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
> don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
> camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
> pictures.
>
> Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

How old are the batteries. They don't last forever. After
many recharges, they act as you describe.

I'm now using Imedion NiMH batteries that I bought from
thomasdistributing.com. They loose their charge much more
slowly than the older type of NiMH batteries. They can go
for months on the shelf before they have to be recharged.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 12:16:18 PM3/12/09
I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
charge.

How would I test them for capacity and such?

I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
thoughtful reply.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Marvin" <phys...@verizon.net> wrote in message

George Kerby

Mar 12, 2009, 1:34:49 PM3/12/09

On 3/12/09 11:16 AM, in article gpbchm$bl2$1...@news.motzarella.org, "Stormin
Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
> charge.
>
> How would I test them for capacity and such?
>
> I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
> for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
> thoughtful reply.

Try Delkin from Thomas Distributing. Only 2300, but will retain charge much
longer, and have a nice warranty.

Thomas is tops in batteries. Nice guy, too.

<http://tinyurl.com/6ot6dz>

tn...@mucks.net

Mar 12, 2009, 2:38:50 PM3/12/09
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
>my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
>don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
>camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
>pictures.
>
>Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

What camera?

GregS

Mar 12, 2009, 2:58:22 PM3/12/09

Old batteries don't need a lot of cycle use to be bad.
I have not found NiMh to be long lived.

greg

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 2:56:49 PM3/12/09
I caught a typo:

"Holds charge better than any other rechargeable over time,
even when sitting idol in a device. "

Buddha batteries? But.... it passed the spell checker!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 3:03:53 PM3/12/09
I did have a look. That's a fair price for batteries. Now,
some thinking. Nice to have stuff that works. Got to look at
my finances, and see if I can justify the money.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Try Delkin from Thomas Distributing. Only 2300, but will

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 3:04:43 PM3/12/09
Panasonic Lumix, LS-70. Takes two AA cells.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<tn...@mucks.net> wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

>my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 3:36:48 PM3/12/09
What's the usual life for NiMH? I can't really remember how
old these are, but likely two years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"GregS" <zekf...@zekfrivolous.com> wrote in message

>How old are the batteries. They don't last forever. After
>many recharges, they act as you describe.

Old batteries don't need a lot of cycle use to be bad.

Martin Brown

Mar 12, 2009, 4:42:39 PM3/12/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
> charge.
>
> How would I test them for capacity and such?

Usually what happens is there is one weak cell develops in a set of 4.
That weak cell gradually gets hammered by the others forcing current
through it after it has become exhausted. The weak get weaker until they
compromise a set containing 3 good cells after just a few minutes.

Some of the better chargers have an indicator bulb that will light off
a single cell if it can source enough current. Separate the sheep from
the goats and you will probably have some usable ones.

It makes sense to keep them together in sets for as long as posisble.
Put spots of paint on each set and use them in rigid rotation. The self
discharge rate is pretty annoying after a year or so.

> I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
> for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
> thoughtful reply.

It is annoying trying to find the bad cell(s) in multiple sets of four
without a voltmeter or a tester to hand.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Stormin Mormon

Mar 12, 2009, 4:55:07 PM3/12/09
Usually what happens is there is one weak cell develops in a
set of 4.
That weak cell gradually gets hammered by the others forcing
current
through it after it has become exhausted. The weak get
weaker until they
compromise a set containing 3 good cells after just a few
minutes.

CY: Yes, and the combined voltage drops off, to the voltage
of three cells.

Some of the better chargers have an indicator bulb that will
light off
a single cell if it can source enough current. Separate the
sheep from
the goats and you will probably have some usable ones.

CY: What I did a while back, was to charge em all up. Put
eight batteries in an appliance that takes eight cells (in
my case, citizens band walkie talkie. In the US, they
designated 26.955 through 27.405 megahertz for public use).
Leave the radio on ovenight, to provide a low drain in
series. Check the batteries in the AM, see which ones are
dead. I may need to do that again.

It makes sense to keep them together in sets for as long as
posisble.
Put spots of paint on each set and use them in rigid
rotation. The self
discharge rate is pretty annoying after a year or so.

CY: It is very possible my batteries have reached the end of
their life. Time to buy more. And need to date these
carefully.

> I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage.
> But,
> for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
> thoughtful reply.

It is annoying trying to find the bad cell(s) in multiple
sets of four
without a voltmeter or a tester to hand.

CY: I do have both voltmeter, and tester. I am also
wondering. I changed chargers, a couple weeks ago. I'd been
using a Sanyo wall charger, and switched to a Battery
Manager Ultra. I read years ago, on the web, that the BMU
doesn't charge, completely. I am going back to the Sanyo for
a while. And will also someday do the test with the
batteries in series.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Charles

Mar 12, 2009, 5:13:58 PM3/12/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 3/12/09 11:16 AM, in article gpbchm$bl2$1...@news.motzarella.org, "Stormin
> Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
>> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
>> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
>> charge.
>>
>> How would I test them for capacity and such?
>>
>> I've heard the Eneloops are good for long term storage. But,
>> for storage batteries I use alkalines. Thanks for the
>> thoughtful reply.

The Eneloops are VERY good ... worth looking into.

George Kerby

Mar 12, 2009, 5:45:24 PM3/12/09

On 3/12/09 1:56 PM, in article gpbm22$6ls$1...@news.motzarella.org, "Stormin
Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I caught a typo:
>
> "Holds charge better than any other rechargeable over time,
> even when sitting idol in a device. "
>
> Buddha batteries? But.... it passed the spell checker!

I saw that as well, LOL!

He's got some strange folks working for him. When I first ordered from him a
few years ago, I accidentally ordered the wrong batteries. When I called
back asking for a return for credit, one of the rude employees told me, in
no uncertian terms, that they would not accept a return and was just being
an ass about it. Shortly after hanging up my phone, I got a call from him.
He was pissed at his employee "trying to put him out of business" and told
me to keep the batteries and would credit them to the sale of the correct
batteries that he was going to ship me that afternoon.

Maybe his Webmaster is weird, too?

Ron Hunter

Mar 12, 2009, 6:47:56 PM3/12/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
> my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
> don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
> camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
> pictures.
>
> Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

You may have a bad charger, or your camera may have the voltage setting
at which it decides a battery is discharged set for too high a voltage.
Does your camera manufacturer suggest using NIMH batteries? If not,
their nominal 1.25 volt power level may not be adequate. You can buy
some disposable lithium batteries and see if they give you better service.

tn...@mucks.net

Mar 12, 2009, 9:59:36 PM3/12/09
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:51:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in
>my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I
>don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the
>camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few
>pictures.
>
>Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

Your camera, Lumix DMC LS70 requires you to choose the
type of battery in use. Page 10 of your users manual.

If it's set for alkaline and you are using NIMH then you will
experience a low battery indicator.

Bob Larter

Mar 12, 2009, 10:26:09 PM3/12/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
> charge.

That sounds very likely, from your description.
To get the longest life in future, you should _not_ use/charge them in
random order - keep them in sets. If you do that, you should be able to
get hundreds of charge/discharge cycles out of them.

It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge over time,
even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a week since I
last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

Bob Larter

Mar 12, 2009, 10:28:56 PM3/12/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> What's the usual life for NiMH? I can't really remember how
> old these are, but likely two years.

If you've been using them regularly over that time, they're very likely
dead.

David J Taylor

Mar 13, 2009, 4:12:40 AM3/13/09
Bob Larter wrote:
[]

> It's also worth mentioning that NiMH cells self-discharge over time,
> even when they're not being used. If it's been more than a week since
> I last used a particular set, I'll top it up before using it.

A disadvantage which Sanyo eneloops appear to have overcome - and they
seem to last longer in my GPS that high-capacity NiMH cells....

David

Bob Larter

Mar 13, 2009, 4:46:22 AM3/13/09

<nods> IME, name brand NiMH cells/batteries seem to suffer less from
that effect than generics. The ones I referred to above are generic AAs,
but the Canon packs for my 1D2 seem to hold a usable charge for a month
or more.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 8:54:26 AM3/13/09
They used to be found at walmart near me. But, no longer.
Wonder if any of the other stores around me have them?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Charles" <charles...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 8:56:30 AM3/13/09
That's incredibly possible. Hey, if you want some really
strange catalogs to read, get the ones from American
Science and Surplus, out of Illinois. Their web site may be
www.sciplus.com if memory serves. Fun to read.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 8:59:39 AM3/13/09
I'm wondering if it's a bad charger. For a test, I'm trying
my other one. I'd been using a Battery Manager Ultra, and
now using a Sanyo wall box gadget, that's designed for nicad
and nimmie cells.

Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
nimmies are the same setting.

Trying not to pay a buck a battery for single use cells.
Then I'm back to the old film days when I have to think hard
about every shot, if I want it or not. With rechargables, I
can pop all the pictures I want.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 9:02:33 AM3/13/09
I've misplaced the English language owners manual. But, from
what I can tell on the screen, my choices are
* Oxyride
* Alkaline or NiMH

Yes, I'm aware of the voltages provided by various cells.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<tn...@mucks.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 9:04:58 AM3/13/09
One of these days, I'll have to do a life test on the
batteries. Charge them all. Put a bunch of them in a CB
walkie talkie, and leave it turned on over night. See which
ones are still charged in the AM.

I hadn't heard about using them in sets. Interesting idea.
They seem to work fine, if I rotate a freshly charged set of
batteries into the camera every morning. If I miss a
morning, then the camera goes dead during the day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 13, 2009, 9:05:48 AM3/13/09
I do carry the camera all day in my pants pocket, and use it
often. It's a very real thought, maybe I just simply got my
use out of the batteries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Larter" <bobby...@gmail.com> wrote in message

J. Clarke

Mar 13, 2009, 9:58:01 AM3/13/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> They used to be found at walmart near me. But, no longer.
> Wonder if any of the other stores around me have them?

Having been unable to find them locally I finally ordered off of Amazon.

Dave Cohen

Mar 13, 2009, 10:44:47 AM3/13/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> I caught a typo:
>
> "Holds charge better than any other rechargeable over time,
> even when sitting idol in a device. "
>
> Buddha batteries? But.... it passed the spell checker!

Spell checkers check spelling, not context in which words are used.
Dave Cohen

Dave Cohen

Mar 13, 2009, 10:49:24 AM3/13/09

Ritz camera carried them the last time I checked. I have them and they
are very good, but I'm having what seems to be equally long life storage
from Kodak pre-charged. Be careful, the package must say pre-charged,
they also have normal NiMH in a very similar package. Walmart should
carry these.
Dave Cohen

Robert Sneddon

Mar 13, 2009, 10:57:57 AM3/13/09
In message <Yzoul.6324$Lc7....@text.news.virginmedia.com>, David J
Taylor <david-...@blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> writes

>A disadvantage which Sanyo eneloops appear to have overcome - and they
>seem to last longer in my GPS that high-capacity NiMH cells....

There are several different low-discharge NiMH batteries on the market
which seem to use the same technology -- Sanyo's Eneloop as mentioned,
Uniroos Hybrio and Panasonic Infinium. They all cost about the same and
do the same job, and come ready-charged out of the pack. I've got
Eneloop AAs, Hybrio AAs and also a set of Hybrio AAAs.

Anecdotally, I've had a pair of the Hybrio AAA cells in some
noise-cancelling headphones for several months, not actually using them
in noise-cancel mode much. They still have a good charge in them even
after that length of time. The other AAA rechargeables I have kicking
around tended to drain in storage after a few weeks to the point where
they required a recharge. I haven't used my camera (Canon A640) much
recently but it's been months since I recharged or swapped out the AA
Eneloops it's currently got fitted. I just checked it and it's ready to
shoot, no low-battery warning.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Ron Hunter

Mar 13, 2009, 12:26:20 PM3/13/09
I suspect that the Kodak ones are simply rebranded ones from Panasonic,
or someone similar. Eneloop type batteries are ideal for the way I use
my digital camera.

Ron Hunter

Mar 13, 2009, 12:28:00 PM3/13/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's a bad charger. For a test, I'm trying
> my other one. I'd been using a Battery Manager Ultra, and
> now using a Sanyo wall box gadget, that's designed for nicad
> and nimmie cells.
>
> Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
> for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
> nimmies are the same setting.
>
> Trying not to pay a buck a battery for single use cells.
> Then I'm back to the old film days when I have to think hard
> about every shot, if I want it or not. With rechargables, I
> can pop all the pictures I want.

I keep lithium batteries for backup. They last for about 300 shots, and
with 12 for $20, that works out to about three cents/shot. I can handle
that.

Paul

Mar 13, 2009, 12:58:30 PM3/13/09

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I bought mine at Costco. I like them.

Dave Cohen

Mar 14, 2009, 11:01:26 AM3/14/09

I'm pretty sure they all license the technology from Sanyo. Eneloops are
of course Sanyo proper.
Dave Cohen

Neil Harrington

Mar 14, 2009, 11:29:35 AM3/14/09

>I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
> charge.
>
> How would I test them for capacity and such?

You can test them for capacity with a LaCrosse BC-900 charger, available at
Amazon.com for $39.95 with free shipping. Almost 500 user reviews on Amazon,
average 4.5 stars. It's the most versatile charger I've seen -- so impressed
with the first one I bought a second, and now I seldom use my Baha chargers
anymore.

In the test mode it first fully charges the cell(s), then fully discharges
them while keeping track of the current and time, then fully charges them
again while reporting the mAh. Also has a refresh mode which alternately
discharges and charges the cell(s) until it decides there is no further
improvement in capacity, which it reports. (This can take a long time, even
days in some cases.)

In any mode, each cell (up to four) is on a separate circuit and is managed
individually. And each cell can be put in a different mode -- e.g., you can
test one cell while refreshing another and charging two others, etc. You can
choose the charge/discharge current in any mode, and cycle the displays
through various kinds of information. A really amazing charger.

Neil Harrington

Mar 14, 2009, 11:50:12 AM3/14/09

> What's the usual life for NiMH? I can't really remember how
> old these are, but likely two years.

I think it varies quite a bit, according to usage etc. and also individual
differences. I have some that are several years old and still work fine, and
their capacity is still fairly good though surely not the equal of when they
were new. But other cells of the same brand, bought at the same time and
used in the same way, died after relatively little use. And this applies to
several different brands, many of them bought from Thomas Distributing so
they were reliable brands.
.

Neil Harrington

Mar 14, 2009, 12:05:37 PM3/14/09

> I'm wondering if it's a bad charger.

It doesn't sound like it from your description. If the batteries won't hold
a charge for more than a day, that sure sounds like a battery issue.

> For a test, I'm trying
> my other one. I'd been using a Battery Manager Ultra, and
> now using a Sanyo wall box gadget, that's designed for nicad
> and nimmie cells.
>
> Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
> for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
> nimmies are the same setting.

That does seem odd. Nikon Coolpix cameras using AAs have different settings
for alkaline, NiMH and lithium.

George Kerby

Mar 14, 2009, 12:27:52 PM3/14/09

On 3/14/09 10:29 AM, in article
3qOdnWloYvTlUCbU...@giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
<sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

> "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I don't remember how old. At least a year. I've got a bunch
>> of the Duracell 2650, which I rotate in random order. It's
>> very possible they are just used up, and not holding a
>> charge.
>>
>> How would I test them for capacity and such?
>
> You can test them for capacity with a LaCrosse BC-900 charger, available at
> Amazon.com for $39.95 with free shipping. Almost 500 user reviews on Amazon,
> average 4.5 stars. It's the most versatile charger I've seen -- so impressed
> with the first one I bought a second, and now I seldom use my Baha chargers
> anymore.

Neil, I have read many Amazon reviews where people complained about the
BC-900 melting, charring the batteries and almost catching the house on
fire.

Does the thing run that hot? Have they fixed it? That kept me from further
consideration.

I am happy with my"M"aha charger, BTW...

ASAAR

Mar 14, 2009, 4:40:08 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:05:37 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
>> for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
>> nimmies are the same setting.
>
> That does seem odd. Nikon Coolpix cameras using AAs have different settings
> for alkaline, NiMH and lithium.

Perhaps the camera (like some chargers) is able to detect the
difference between alkalines and NiMH cells, but wouldn't be able to
distinguish between alkalines and oxyrides? It might be able to
tell them apart if only fresh batteries were ever placed into
cameras, but a slightly used oxyride could be a different matter.

Neil Harrington

Mar 14, 2009, 6:18:08 PM3/14/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Neither of mine have run at all hot, but I don't generally use them at more
than the 500 mA charge rate. I seldom feel need for the 700 mA rate and have
never used the 1000 mA rate at all. For this reason I'm also going to get
one of their newer BC-700 chargers which don't have anything higher than 700
mA. At the time I bought the BC-900s they were actually cheaper than the
(then new) BC-700 and came with a lot of extra goodies besides. Now the
BC-700 is only $25.16 with free shipping (just saw this today, thanks to
this discussion) and that's too good to pass up.

I'll probably eBay off all but one of my other chargers. The reason for
keeping one is that the LaCrosse chargers think that a cell discharged below
some level is a dead one, and will refuse to charge it. This has happened to
me a number of times. So I pop the refused cell in another charger for a
little while, then return it to the LaCrosse which is then happy and will go
ahead and charge it. This is a known "feature" of the LaCrosse chargers;
I've read that the BC-700 does the same thing too.

The BC-900 has had firmware revisions which I understand fixed some earlier
problems. The latest one (as far as I know) is v.35, which is what both of
mine are. (The firmware version shows on the display when it's first turned
on.) I've had both of mine for some time so I presume all those being sold
now have the later version. The BC-700 has v.36 firmware, I understand. What
difference that makes, I don't know.

> I am happy with my"M"aha charger, BTW...

I've always liked mine too, but the Maha chargers *do* get the batteries
quite hot, at least at the higher rate. When I use my Maha C401FS chargers,
which have a charge rate switch, I usually set them at the "5 hour" rate,
which is 300 mA and keeps the cells pretty cool. The "100 minute" rate is a
full amp and that makes the batteries hotter than I like, as I'm sure it
shortens their life at least somewhat.

I like that the LaCrosse chargers offer intermediate charge rates, which are
shown on the displays.

Neil Harrington

Mar 14, 2009, 6:27:55 PM3/14/09

"ASAAR" <cau...@22.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:05:37 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>>> Yes, the camera has a setting choice, either for Oxyride, or
>>> for akaline / NiMH cells. I don't know why alkalines and
>>> nimmies are the same setting.
>>
>> That does seem odd. Nikon Coolpix cameras using AAs have different
>> settings
>> for alkaline, NiMH and lithium.
>
> Perhaps the camera (like some chargers) is able to detect the
> difference between alkalines and NiMH cells, but wouldn't be able to
> distinguish between alkalines and oxyrides?

Probably. I've had other brands of AA-using cameras (Minolta, Canon, Pentax)
and now that you mention it I don't think any of them made any such
distinction between alkalines and NiMHs. So maybe that's a Nikon exclusive.
I always suspected that the only real reason for the setting was for the
sake of the low-battery warning, which probably should go on at a different
voltage for alkalines than for NiMH cells.

Oxyrides I never even heard of before today. WTF are oxyrides? :-)

ASAAR

Mar 14, 2009, 9:22:35 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:27:55 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

> Oxyrides I never even heard of before today. WTF are oxyrides? :-)

I think that they may have been one of DPReview's "news" items
several years ago and they're made by Panasonic. They're advertised
as being able to provide more shots from cameras than alkalines, and
they start at a higher no-load voltage (1.7v) which is not a good
thing for some devices. They're similar to alkalines and Wiki says:

> The chemical difference is the addition of oxy nickel hydroxide to
> the manganese dioxide and graphite for the cathode.
> . . .
> Finer grained graphite in the cathode and a vacuum pouring process
> that inserts a higher quantity of electrolyte in the cell are used during
> the manufacturing of Oxyride cells.
> . . .
> Marketing stunts
>
> * In 2004, 2 oxyride batteries powered a light-weight "car" with a
> 50 kg passenger for a 1.23 km trip.
> * Held a "Neuter Your Bunny Day" in Manhattan, New York in
> June 2006.[1] Bunny surely refers the famous Energizer Bunny.
> * In July 2006, 160 oxyride batteries powered a light-weight airplane
> built by Tokyo Institute of Technology with a 53 kg pilot for a
> 59 second and 391 m flight.
> * In August 2007, 192 Oxyride AA batteries powered a car that
> reached a top speed of 122 km/hour, (75.81Mph) getting into
> the Guinness World Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyride_battery

Neil Harrington

Mar 15, 2009, 8:47:38 AM3/15/09

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:27:55 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>> Oxyrides I never even heard of before today. WTF are oxyrides? :-)
>
> I think that they may have been one of DPReview's "news" items
> several years ago and they're made by Panasonic. They're advertised
> as being able to provide more shots from cameras than alkalines, and
> they start at a higher no-load voltage (1.7v) which is not a good
> thing for some devices. They're similar to alkalines and Wiki says:
>
>> The chemical difference is the addition of oxy nickel hydroxide to
>> the manganese dioxide and graphite for the cathode.
>> . . .
>> Finer grained graphite in the cathode and a vacuum pouring process
>> that inserts a higher quantity of electrolyte in the cell are used during
>> the manufacturing of Oxyride cells.
>> . . .
>> Marketing stunts
>>
>> * In 2004, 2 oxyride batteries powered a light-weight "car" with a
>> 50 kg passenger for a 1.23 km trip.
>> * Held a "Neuter Your Bunny Day" in Manhattan, New York in
>> June 2006.[1] Bunny surely refers the famous Energizer Bunny.

LOL

>> * In July 2006, 160 oxyride batteries powered a light-weight airplane
>> built by Tokyo Institute of Technology with a 53 kg pilot for a
>> 59 second and 391 m flight.
>> * In August 2007, 192 Oxyride AA batteries powered a car that
>> reached a top speed of 122 km/hour, (75.81Mph) getting into
>> the Guinness World Records.

Good grief. Now I'm surprised I haven't heard of 'em before.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyride_battery

Thanks for all the info.

George Kerby

Mar 15, 2009, 10:11:34 AM3/15/09

On 3/14/09 5:18 PM, in article
tJadnW_ai_GksCHU...@giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
<sec...@illumnati.net> wrote:

Thanks for the information. I may be buying the BC-700 because of the
reduced price that you mentioned.

Neil Harrington

Mar 15, 2009, 4:10:18 PM3/15/09
George Kerby wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I may be buying the BC-700 because of the
> reduced price that you mentioned.

You're welcome. I just ordered one last night.

GMAN

Mar 15, 2009, 7:31:22 PM3/15/09
In article <47ydnUTmkvct_SDU...@giganews.com>, "Neil Harrington"
For a little more you should have got the better equipped BC900

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00077AA5Q/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Martin Brown

Mar 16, 2009, 4:28:20 AM3/16/09
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Usually what happens is there is one weak cell develops in a
> set of 4.
> That weak cell gradually gets hammered by the others forcing
> current
> through it after it has become exhausted. The weak get
> weaker until they
> compromise a set containing 3 good cells after just a few
> minutes.
>
> CY: Yes, and the combined voltage drops off, to the voltage
> of three cells.
[snip]

> It is annoying trying to find the bad cell(s) in multiple
> sets of four
> without a voltmeter or a tester to hand.
>
> CY: I do have both voltmeter, and tester. I am also
> wondering. I changed chargers, a couple weeks ago. I'd been
> using a Sanyo wall charger, and switched to a Battery
> Manager Ultra. I read years ago, on the web, that the BMU
> doesn't charge, completely. I am going back to the Sanyo for
> a while. And will also someday do the test with the
> batteries in series.

Why did you buy a Battery Manager Ultra if you believed from the
reviewers that it was defective? Caveat emptor applies!

Retiring the bad cell out of each set extends the life of the remaining
ones. Otherwise they last no time at all under load.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Neil Harrington

Mar 16, 2009, 10:25:31 AM3/16/09

I've already got two of the BC-900s. I love 'em. They do come with extra
goodies, some of which however are of doubtful value. Four NiMH AAs (useful)
and four AAAs (possibly useful), a case (mostly useless), and a set of C and
D cell adapters (pretty useless). So the extra rechargeables are good, but
I've got plenty of those. Other than that, the only thing the BC-900 has
over the -700 is the 1000mA charge rating, and I never use that anyway.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 16, 2009, 7:18:01 PM3/16/09
Ah, yes, joining the computer age. Me, too. I buy stuff
online, now and again. I did try using my Sanyo charger
again, the one designed for Nicads and Nimmies. The
batteries and camera work a lot better, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Mar 16, 2009, 7:23:45 PM3/16/09
My sister gave me a BMU for a present, many years ago.
Probably 1997 or 1998. It was the only charger I knew of,
at that time, that would refresh alkalines. If the alkalines
were too low, they risked leaking. But, even with the added
work of checking for leakers, I still got alkalines back
that would otherwise gone in the trash.

I bought a second BMU, and charged every battery I could
get, before Y2K. I got internet in maybe middle of 1999, and
found the article (critical of BMU) sometime after I got
internet. by this time, I'd charged a lot of batteries with
the BMU, and so I disregared one dissatisfied customer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in