MOMA "The Printed Picture" excellent exhibit

Tiro Verus

May 14, 2009, 4:00:37 PM5/14/09
Printing technologies from Renaissaince to present, one or
a few examples of each, magnifications.

Have you ever wondered about the difference between a Daguerreotype and
an ambrotype? Are you curious about how etching creates a photographic
verisimilitude? Are you in the dark when you hear terms like digital
C-print and archival inkjet print? Wonder no more. Your questions will
all be answered in the exhibit.

The Printed Picture
October 17, 2008-July 13, 2009
The Edward Steichen Photography Galleries, third floor
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street New York, NY 10019

The book is likewise immensely useful. Some might wish
for an even larger size book, but it's not large format.
One might consider buying the book *first* and studying it.

Taking it all in requires more than one visit, as
Evan Mirapaul says at his blog "Fugitive Vision"

Have you ever wondered about the difference between a Daguerreotype and
an ambrotype? Are you curious about how etching creates a photographic
verisimilitude? Are you in the dark when you hear terms like digital
C-print and archival inkjet print? Wonder no more. Your questions will
all be answered in the exhibit.

If you look at the exhibition dates for the Printed Picture at MoMA you
might think that you have all the time in the world to catch this show.
I urge you not to procrastinate. First of all, you will not be able to
take in all the information from just one viewing. Second, you will
want to come back more than once (maybe even more than twice) so you
can approach the show from multiple perspectives. MoMA calls this show
an "educational installation".

The show is arranged in rigorous chronological order starting from
prehistoric cave drawings all the way to the newest printing
technologies. Each process has an example, wall text, and, in many
cases, a 50x enlargement of the example so you can see microscopic
details ....
http://fugitivevision.blogspot.com/2009/01/printed-picture-at-moma.html

Neil Ellwood

May 15, 2009, 4:11:11 AM5/15/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:00:37 +0000, Tiro Verus wrote:

> Printing technologies from Renaissaince to present, one or a few
> examples of each, magnifications.
>
> Have you ever wondered about the difference between a Daguerreotype
> and an ambrotype? Are you curious about how etching creates a
> photographic verisimilitude? Are you in the dark when you hear terms
> like digital C-print and archival inkjet print? Wonder no more. Your
> questions will all be answered in the exhibit.

No. No. No. What questions?
--

Neil
reverse ra and delete l