Rotating photos on PC

tapyeno

Jan 30, 2009, 3:07:59 AM1/30/09
Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
wrong way around when copied to disc?

The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
when put on CD.

How can this be corrected?

D.Mac

Jan 31, 2009, 12:44:37 AM1/31/09

"tapyeno" <patma...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

It's a windows display thing. The file isn't actually rotated, just what you
see on the screen.
More Microsoft trickery or magic, whatever suits.

What you need is a "lossless" image rotation program like Irfanview. or
"Photographer's power tools to do the job in the file, not explorer.

--
Visit my site: D-Mac.info
My photos, Information about trolls

Keith nuttle

Jan 30, 2009, 8:17:06 AM1/30/09
D.Mac wrote:

> "tapyeno" <patma...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Why do photos I have rotated correctly on my pc, still come up the
>> wrong way around when copied to disc?
>>
>> The photo may have been taken vertically with the camera. so I have
>> rotated it to be horizontal. It mysteriously goes back to vertical
>> when put on CD.
>>
>> How can this be corrected?
>>youle isn't actually rotated, just what

> you see on the screen.
> More Microsoft trickery or magic, whatever suits.
>
> What you need is a "lossless" image rotation program like Irfanview. or
> "Photographer's power tools to do the job in the file, not explorer.

If you have jpg's you must do a "lossless" rotation as stated by the
usually with the image handling software.

While doing this process, the most IMPORTANT thing, is to save the
rotated image back to the disk as a new file. (I never destroy the
original image, and save any processed images as a new file. )

You need to get a book on the basic of digital images and photography,
or look online.

Paul Furman

Jan 31, 2009, 1:31:51 PM1/31/09

Various software will just tag the file as rotated (often the camera
tags it this way too) but not all that software speaks well with other
software & operating systems. There isn't a fixed solution but
understanding the issue will let you decide how to deal with it. If you
describe which OS/software you are using we can offer specifics.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Matt Ion

Feb 8, 2009, 3:55:45 PM2/8/09

When you shoot a picture with the camera turned vertically ("portrait"
orientation), the camera tags it with a flag saying that it's been
rotated. The picture still actually exists in the camera, "laying on
its side", but it's been marked to denote that it was taken at a
different angle.

SOME (but not all) display software will see that tag, and display the
picture rotated to its proper orientation, but unless you tell it to, it
doesn't actually change the original picture... thus when you play it
back on something else (like a DVD player) that doesn't recognize the
orientation tag, that device won't rotate it automatically.

The "fix" is to tell your computer software to actually rotate the
image, and then re-save it as a new file (so as not to destroy the
original).

Using "lossless" rotation is a good idea if you need the new version to
be ultra-high-quality, but if all you're doing is creating a slideshow
on a DVD to view on a TV, it's overkill.

Quickest way I've found is to use IrfanView's Thumbnail feature to
select all the photos in a folder, then right-click, select "Lossless
JEPG Operations", then "Lossless Rotation with Selected Files" (or just
hit Shift-J). The next page has an option, "Auto rotate (according to
EXIF orientation, if available)". That will process all the files, and
rotate them only if they're tagged as being shot rotated.