ViewNX - Adnormal Terminations?

1 view

William Jones

Mar 4, 2009, 1:51:35 PM3/4/09
I need help.

My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.

I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.

This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.

ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
like this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Nospam

Mar 4, 2009, 2:43:41 PM3/4/09
In message <%4Arl.53069$aZ3....@newsfe01.iad>, William Jones
<Willia...@yahoo.com> writes
I have the same problem.

According to Nikon it is my machine, faulty memory or a dodgy software
installation.

However it is the ONLY program that does this all other programs work
without problem.

They advised me to upgrade my .Net to the latest version (3.0)

but that didn't fix it.

So its a nice program that is a pin to use!

pity

--
Nospam

William Jones

Mar 4, 2009, 5:59:28 PM3/4/09
Nikon's full of shit on this one. I have 30 years of experience in IT, and
there's NOTHING wrong with my machine, my memory, my O/S, or my installs.

Like you, ViewNX is the ONLY app that terminates like this without notice.

Attention Nikon: Canon just LOVES this kind of incompetence by you. Wake up!

Sigh....

"Nospam" <nos...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

William Jones

Mar 4, 2009, 7:04:52 PM3/4/09
Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
condescension, some jab?

I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
particular DP Review page is irrelevant.

My Registry is spotless.

Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?

<m...@mine.net> wrote in message

> Yes, ever think of using google?
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nikon+viewnx+crashes&btnG=Search
>
> First entry is:
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=26412296
> Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
> the us nikon tech support site.

Ed Mullikin

Mar 4, 2009, 11:33:12 PM3/4/09
I really like your reply to these "condescending" bungholes.

"William Jones" <Willia...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mar 5, 2009, 3:58:40 AM3/5/09
"William Jones" <Willia...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Does it write anything to the event log when it crashes?

Dave Cohen

Mar 5, 2009, 10:01:20 AM3/5/09
Further more it's irrelevant since one isn't supposed to be an IT expert
in order to install a program under windows.
Dave Cohen

William Jones

Mar 5, 2009, 1:23:49 PM3/5/09
Yes, it does, and I've forwarded that to Nikon. They've not answered...

"N" <N...@onyx.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Scott

Mar 5, 2009, 7:36:00 PM3/5/09
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:33:12 -0500, "Ed Mullikin" <edm...@cox.net>
wrote:

It was either Capture or View NX that would do that if there were too
many or perhaps corrupted Thumb.db files present. Doing a search and
the deleting the Thumbs.db allowed the program to open without
crashing.

William Jones

Mar 6, 2009, 3:41:24 AM3/6/09
You dumb fuck. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where normal,
healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.

You, on the other hand, are one sick fuck. They have help for people like
you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
case, just take all three. In either orifice.

<m...@mine.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:04:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
> <Willia...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
>>using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult,
>>some
>>condescension, some jab?
>

> Because you came here and apparently couldn't be bothered to take the
> small
> effort to post what build your OS is at or what rev your dotnet20/30/3.5
> is
> at., or what other Nikon SW you have installed, or what other steps you
> have tried, Registry cleaning, checking file system integrity. Loading
> apps
> in different order or swapping memory chips around to possibly diagnose an
> HW problem.

>>I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the
>>reason
>>I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So
>>this
>>particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
>>
>>My Registry is spotless.
>>
>>Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?
>

> So did you find the other DPR forum thread that talked about dotnet and
> other runtime libs fixes/updates?

Message has been deleted

William Jones

Mar 6, 2009, 8:33:03 PM3/6/09
Memine,

It has NOTHING to do with AV or blocker programs. Try again.

<m...@mine.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 00:41:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
> <Willia...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>You dumb fuck. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
>>questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
>>had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
>>Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where
>>normal,
>>healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.
>>You, on the other hand, are one sick fuck. They have help for people like
>>you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
>>case, just take all three. In either orifice.
>>

> And in your spewing and spitting did you take the time to look at the
> thread and find the info where one poster seemed to narrow the problem
> down
> to the AV and ad blocker programs they were running? I doubt it. Just
> because you have the latest updates doesn't mean they aren't part of the
> problem. But then I guess you just really want to spout and call people
> names who don't happen to use the same OS as you and simple ask for
> specific info on it's configuration. Pardon my ignorance in really trying
> to understand your system build and what might be the cause of your
> troubles.

Bob Larter

Mar 15, 2009, 12:32:46 AM3/15/09
William Jones wrote:
> You dumb fuck. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
> questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
> had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
> Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where normal,
> healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.
>
> You, on the other hand, are one sick fuck. They have help for people like
> you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
> case, just take all three. In either orifice.

LOL.

Nice response. Well deserved too.