Enlarge Digital Photos

thankyou

Jun 14, 2009, 9:01:16 AM6/14/09
Hello, Thanks for your help.

When enlarging ditial photos what size posters peserve the aspect
ratio?

I was thinnking around the 12" x 18" size posters.

Thanks John

ray

Jun 14, 2009, 10:51:30 AM6/14/09

Ones with the same aspect ratio. Can't you do simple division?

Marvin

Jun 14, 2009, 10:53:36 AM6/14/09

Why limit yourself by preserving the aspect ratio? Cropping
often improves a photo. As to the ratio on a poster, it
depends on whether or not you have to allow for borders, and
- if so - what width the borders are.

daveFaktor

Jun 14, 2009, 5:01:23 PM6/14/09

Typically the aspect ratio of a portrait is 4:3
A Poster however - Like movie posters have no established aspect ratio.
I'd suggest you use your eye and decide if the scene you intend to
depict is suited to a longer or shorter looking poster. 3:2 is the
aspect ratio Leica decided would suit landscapes (holiday shots)

My personal preference is the above ratios, depending on the picture
being landscape or portrait orientation.

Enlargements from P&S digital with relative low resolution may benefit
from using all the frame. This would limit your final print to 4:3 or
near enough.

Eric Stevens

Jun 14, 2009, 6:05:29 PM6/14/09

Try Super A3, 13" x 19". By the time you leave a margin they are just
about what you need.

Eric Stevens

thankyou

Jun 14, 2009, 8:07:53 PM6/14/09
Thanks for your replies.

I guess I was looking to learn "how to" figure it out. You get pixels,
inches, digital cameras files that dont' exactly fit a 6x4 print and
then the consumer prining stores the sell posters photos in fixed
sized.

I have PS, but I'm a video guy mostly and have this ideal to blow up
my RAW (8 mb) Canon files.

With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.

Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.

I'd appreciate some help if you all don't mind.

Regards,
Jon

Lloyd W.

Jun 14, 2009, 8:52:30 PM6/14/09
"ray" <r...@zianet.com> wrote in message

he asked for help not an insult, you asshole

ray

Jun 14, 2009, 9:13:32 PM6/14/09

Ignoring the profanity, I thought the answer was quite self evident.

J�rgen Exner

Jun 14, 2009, 9:26:42 PM6/14/09
thankyou <zzhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>With my limited messing with photos experience, I wanted to send the
>files over to a Walmart or Office max, but was concerned that the
>photos would not "fit" their fixed poster sizes.

Well, sensors come in different aspect ratios and therefore naturally
there are always photos that "don't fit" the standard paper. Happens all
the time and stores deal with it by automatically cropping.

If you want to avoid the store randomly cropping a part that might be
important to you then your only solution is to ask the store (the one
store you are going to!!!) what aspect ratio they are using and do the
cropping yourself in advance.

>Also, working with Ifanview and CanonDPP, the conversion to .jpg makes
>the files "too small" for a "poster" blow up.

Well, that's the purpose of JPEG. It reduces the file size at the cost
of picture quality. However there are many different JPEG compression
levels. Just choose the lowest possible compression (=highest quality)
and there should be no perceptible loss. Of course this is assuming that
the technical quality of the original picture was good enough for a big
enlargement.
Or choose a format that does lossless compression.

jue

Eric Stevens

Jun 15, 2009, 1:06:10 AM6/15/09

You didn't think very far through the question. I took him to mean
what size 'posters' preserve the aspect ratio. I gave him an
informative answer, while you ... ?

Eric Stevens

daveFaktor

Jun 15, 2009, 1:41:28 AM6/15/09

Well now you post the 'real' question!

All these store printers are set up for 4:3 aspect ratio printing. If
you use HP's "snapfish" service, you can upload your files and they will
do the enlargement for you.

Irfanview is OK, just save the JPEG at 100% which is as close to
lossless as it gets.

With DPP you can do the same. I wouldn't even bother with sharpening the
image either. The pre-print done by HP doesn't just enlarge them, it
sharpens them and "fixes" dodgy colour too.

http://www.snapfish.com or any of about a million other places!

Bob Williams

Jun 15, 2009, 4:53:13 AM6/15/09
First see at what aspect ratio your camera captures its images.
DSLRs frequently capture at 3:2 aspect ratio.
P/S cameras usually capture at 4:3 ratio.
Order a poster with the same aspect ratio as your original image

A poster 12 x 18 as you suggest, would have an aspect ratio of
3:2....(18/12 = 3/2)
So if your camera captures images at 3:2, a poster at 18x12 would be
perfect.
However if your camera captures at 4:3, you would have two options. Crop
your image to 3:2 or leave it uncropped and order a poster at around
16x12.. (16/12 = 4/3).
I hope this helps.................Bob Williams

ray

Jun 15, 2009, 11:02:09 AM6/15/09

While I suggested he look at posters with the same aspect ratio.

> Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens

Jun 15, 2009, 4:09:08 PM6/15/09

That's real brilliant, but what size posters are available?

Eric Stevens

thankyou

Jun 16, 2009, 10:36:15 AM6/16/09
Wow! This is a vibrant message board. That’s great!

Ok, I had a blocked brain, but, really, I just could not put it
together.

If you look at all your comment as a total picture, I got a damn great
answer to my questions. Covered all the bases and I learned something
from every single post.

I’ve used this board a few times over the years and always have gotten
knowledgeable, experienced and especially quick answers.

Not kissing ass here, (who’s to kiss) but often on the internet,
that’s not the case.

Thanks again.