I really miss Kodak Ektalure "G" paper!

Darrell A. Larose

Mar 12, 2009, 9:35:04 AM3/12/09
I really miss Kodak Ektalure "G" paper! I printed a lot of stuff on it, it
was just a nice portrait paper, slightly warm (Ivory) base and a warm tone.
Does anyone here have an inkjet match for it?

Darrell Larose
Photo Technician

David Ruether

Mar 12, 2009, 11:56:52 AM3/12/09

"Darrell A. Larose" <ad...@ncf.ca> wrote in message news:gpb31k$3o1$1...@aioe.org...

As a printer who enjoyed brilliance and sharpness in prints,
I detested that "bubbly-surfaced" black-and-white-free paper
that made everything look like the prints had aged badly - and
I could never figure out why anyone would want to use it...! 8^)
--DR

George Kerby

Mar 12, 2009, 2:22:05 PM3/12/09

On 3/12/09 10:56 AM, in article gpbbc4$hgf$1...@ruby.cit.cornell.edu, "David
Ruether" <d_ru...@thotmail.com> wrote:

That's why there is more than vanilla...

David Ruether

Mar 12, 2009, 4:08:24 PM3/12/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:C5DEBCFD.247CC%ghost_...@hotmail.com...

[Note the "8^)"...;-]
But, why would anyone want "BAD" when "GOOD" is available,
and no more expensive...??? ;-) I guess maybe someone somewhere
really would want to use "raspberry-royal (red streaks) with chocolate
chunks (brown splotches)" paper if it were available, huh?... 8^)
But, really, if one starts with neutral coloring and the best possible
blacks and whites in a print paper, one can then do anything else.
Anything less than that is very limiting... (which is not to say that I did
not start out with a warm-toned "silk"-surfaced paper when I began
making paper prints ever so ridiculously long ago - and two of them are
[embarrassingly] in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art... 8^).
--DR

George Kerby

Mar 12, 2009, 4:47:50 PM3/12/09

On 3/12/09 3:08 PM, in article gpbq3q$j5o$1...@ruby.cit.cornell.edu, "David
Ruether" <d_ru...@thotmail.com> wrote:

I dunno about all of that, but one paper that most people hated when I was
working at a "Camera Store" in the late 70's was called "E" surface. It had
a raised surface resembling a fine 'mesh', much like a screen on a window.
It was universally hated by my customers, but Kodak was using it, I guess to
make copies of the prints more difficult, since the irregular surface
produced myriad of reflections.

tmo...@wildblue.net

Mar 13, 2009, 8:20:09 AM3/13/09

For an Inkjet printer try Epson Semi Matte, much flatter than Luster,
work on your toning skills in Photoshop and you will have close to a G
surface.
For David, after years of not being able to use anything but a matte
paper with pigment inkjets there is a definite push against glossy
papers, the main argument being too much glare. After not being able
to put a darkroom in where I live now, I have been revitalized by the
current quality of upper end pigment inkjet printers and the new
baryta papers. Two especially are very close to air dried Ilford
Fiberbased gloss. Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, slightly warm and Hahnemuhle
Photo Rag Baryta which is neutral.

Tom

David Ruether

Mar 13, 2009, 9:23:24 AM3/13/09

<tmo...@wildblue.net> wrote in message news:e9930d13-5789-4323...@t7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

Tom

--Thanks for the advice.
--
--DR

David Ruether

Mar 13, 2009, 9:39:00 AM3/13/09

"George Kerby" <ghost_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:C5DEDF26.247F6%ghost_...@hotmail.com...

> On 3/12/09 3:08 PM, in article gpbq3q$j5o$1...@ruby.cit.cornell.edu, "David
> Ruether" <d_ru...@thotmail.com> wrote:

>> ....if one starts with neutral coloring and the best possible

>> blacks and whites in a print paper, one can then do anything else.
>> Anything less than that is very limiting... (which is not to say that I did
>> not start out with a warm-toned "silk"-surfaced paper when I began
>> making paper prints ever so ridiculously long ago - and two of them are
>> [embarrassingly] in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art... 8^).
>> --DR

> I dunno about all of that, but one paper that most people hated when I was
> working at a "Camera Store" in the late 70's was called "E" surface. It had
> a raised surface resembling a fine 'mesh', much like a screen on a window.
> It was universally hated by my customers, but Kodak was using it, I guess to
> make copies of the prints more difficult, since the irregular surface
> produced myriad of reflections.

Yup, that was the surface I used, but made by Luminos...8^(
I also likely over washed those prints - so now metallic silver
has probably migrated to the paper surface, spoiling them
even further, sigh...! I liked the Luminos E surface at the time
for the deep blacks without the need for a high gloss to get
them. Much better papers arrived later, though...
--DR