Strange photo - analysis help!

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 22, 2004, 5:58:12 PM2/22/04
Here is a picture... isn't it something very strange conserning sharpness
and resolution!?

http://hem.fyristorg.com/morgano/HO30AX2.jpg

Naturally it's awful.... it's taken through a spottingscope

Digicam (secret for now)
aperture ~5
shutter 1/100
iso100
~100mm
focus eternity

scope at 60x
Much to weak 3-pod.... no adapter

I'm wondering about the areas marked X... I don't say anything more...
.please comment on this. The pic has been sharpened a bit, also shrinked and
a little compressed but the odd (?) effects were there also before that.

Morgan O.

Alan D-W

Feb 22, 2004, 6:23:55 PM2/22/04

"Morgan Ohlson" <morgan...@comhem.se> wrote in message

> Here is a picture... isn't it something very strange conserning sharpness
> and resolution!?
>
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/morgano/HO30AX2.jpg
>
> Naturally it's awful.... it's taken through a spottingscope
>
> Digicam (secret for now)
> aperture ~5
> shutter 1/100
> iso100
> ~100mm
> focus eternity

Focus eternity?? What a heavenly camera it must be.

Nibbler

Feb 22, 2004, 5:55:18 PM2/22/04
> Here is a picture... isn't it something very strange conserning sharpness
> and resolution!?
>
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/morgano/HO30AX2.jpg> > Naturally it's awful....
it's taken through a spottingscope

> > Digicam (secret for now)
> > aperture ~5
> > shutter 1/100
> > iso100
> > ~100mm
> > focus eternity
> >

> Focus eternity?? What a heavenly camera it must be.

when looking through time, subspace anomlies that are not yet formed may
appear. According to Star Trek NG finale, you took the picture here at three
different time periods with the tachion beam on.

Fred A. Miller

Feb 22, 2004, 11:03:20 PM2/22/04
Ed Ruf wrote:

> With such a long focal length these appear to just be slightly out of
> focus from what I see.

Or, something on the sensor.

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

Ken Oaf

Feb 23, 2004, 12:25:55 AM2/23/04
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:58:12 GMT, "Morgan Ohlson" <morgan...@comhem.se>
wrote:
Is the camera a Fuji 602Z?

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 23, 2004, 2:42:21 AM2/23/04

"Nibbler" <Nibbleri...@ptd.net> skrev i meddelandet

Perhaps my RFV interest (rational future visions) whent a little to far
;o)

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 23, 2004, 2:46:11 AM2/23/04

"Fred A. Miller" <fmi...@twcny.rr.com> skrev i meddelandet

> Ed Ruf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:58:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Morgan Ohlson"
> > <morgan...@comhem.se> wrote:
> >
> >>Here is a picture... isn't it something very strange conserning
> >>sharpness and resolution!?
> >>
> >>http://hem.fyristorg.com/morgano/HO30AX2.jpg
> >>
> >>Naturally it's awful.... it's taken through a spottingscope
> >>
> >>Digicam (secret for now)
> >>aperture ~5
> >>shutter 1/100
> >>iso100
> >>~100mm
> >>focus eternity
> >>
> >>scope at 60x
> >>Much to weak 3-pod.... no adapter
> >>
> >>I'm wondering about the areas marked X... I don't say anything more...
> >>.please comment on this. The pic has been sharpened a bit, also
> >>shrinked and a little compressed but the odd (?) effects were there
> >>also before that.
> >
> > With such a long focal length these appear to just be slightly out of
> > focus from what I see.
>
> Or, something on the sensor.

Yes... I find areas of the same distance to be of varying sharpness (and
color!?).

Is that even possible!? I don't think there was anything disturbeing
the line of sight.

I will reveal the digicam soon.

Morgan O.

Chris Brown

Feb 23, 2004, 4:17:55 AM2/23/04
In article <7di_b.83714$dP1.2...@newsc.telia.net>,
Morgan Ohlson <morgan...@comhem.se> wrote:

>Yes... I find areas of the same distance to be of varying sharpness (and
>color!?).
>
>Is that even possible!? I don't think there was anything disturbeing
>the line of sight.

Is there something on the lens?

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 23, 2004, 7:18:10 AM2/23/04

"Chris Brown" <cpb...@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> skrev i meddelandet

Nope...it's clear!

Morgan O.

Quaoar

Feb 23, 2004, 9:09:39 AM2/23/04

What I see is that the entire top half of the image is out of focus
starting at a horizontal line just above the large bird's head. Is this
a crop of a larger image? If so it would be good to see the entirety.
I see this kind of muddying in telescope images I have taken with a
jury-rigged adapter when the camera's focal axis is mis-aligned with the
telescope's focal axis with jury-rigged adapters.

Ol' Bab

Feb 23, 2004, 2:15:30 PM2/23/04
Morgan Ohlson wrote:

> Here is a picture... isn't it something very strange conserning sharpness
> and resolution!?

> I'm wondering about the areas marked X... I don't say anything more...

> .please comment on this. The pic has been sharpened a bit, also shrinked and
> a little compressed but the odd (?) effects were there also before that.
>
> Morgan O.

A longish exposure, plus plenty of stiff eddying breezes. The telephoto
collapsed the distance between the moving and not-moving patches of
grass. ?? Maybe?

Ol' Bab

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 23, 2004, 5:12:52 PM2/23/04

"Quaoar" <qua...@tenthplanet.net> skrev i meddelandet

It's the hole picture, only reduced pixels an slight jpg compression.

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Feb 23, 2004, 5:24:24 PM2/23/04

"Ol' Bab" <olbab...@rochester.rr.com> skrev i meddelandet

I have also trobled myelf with this some hours.,.... You must be right.

Probably in combination with a camera movement. Some grass (and the
water-ice) is moving with the camera and some against. Some sharpness is
enhanced better than the bird and some is worse.

That must be the case, I think!

The digicam is rather new and has only showed good pictures so far....
except for known blue fringeing in photos with strong backlight. You guessed
probably right, it's a Canon s50. It's not ultimate, but definitely a
quality product and a close shot to ultimate..

Morgan O.

KBob

Feb 23, 2004, 8:22:59 PM2/23/04

First I'd guess wind gusts at varying distances. Another anomaly I've
seen relates to aggressive on-camera anti-moire programs that smudge
out detailed areas of similar color, such as an area with blades of
grass. I'm thinking of a camera that does this, and it starts with a
"K."