Canon 5D Rebate

ehha...@comcast.net

Oct 21, 2006, 11:12:06 AM10/21/06
I have decided to get a Canon 5D eventually - just waiting for the
price to drop. 'Would like to do this before next spring. I notice
that B&H has the Canon 5D body for $2500 with rebate. What do people's

crystal balls say about 5D prices over the next 3-4 months? Is now the

time?

While I'm at it, are there any real differences between the CF cards
except for price?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Bill Hilton

Oct 21, 2006, 11:47:13 AM10/21/06
> ehha...@comcast.net wrote:
>
> I have decided to get a Canon 5D eventually - just waiting for the
> price to drop. 'Would like to do this before next spring. I notice
> that B&H has the Canon 5D body for $2500 with rebate. What do
> people's crystal balls say about 5D prices over the next 3-4 months?

One school of thought is that they are lowering the price because of
competition from (or lost sales to) Nikon.

Another school of thought is that Canon will announce a new, improved
replacement model at or before the February PMA show, when new models
are traditionally rolled out, and the price drops/rebates are meant to
get rid of existing inventory.

> Is now the time?

Now is good ... later might be better, especially if they roll out a
replacement model with the 'dust reduction features' and 16 Mpixels for
about the same price, announced two weeks after you just purchased the
model being replaced :).

You can always wait until January and see what's new, unless of course
you need it right away.

> While I'm at it, are there any real differences between the CF cards
> except for price?

Can be big differences in speed, depending on the camera ... check this
site and select a camera you're interested in with the drop-down menu
and see the actual test speeds with various cards ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Also some have life-time replacement warranties, some have 1 - 3 year
warranties.

Bill

plasti...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2006, 8:48:35 PM10/21/06

ehha...@comcast.net wrote:
> I have decided to get a Canon 5D eventually - just waiting for the
> price to drop. 'Would like to do this before next spring. I notice
> that B&H has the Canon 5D body for $2500 with rebate. What do people's

Canon USA is offering a double rebate period from today until January
2007. Purchase a Canon dSLR or lens from their long list, and you get
the rebate. Purchase two items from their list, and the effect of the
rebate *doubles* per item.

For example, the rebate for the EOS 5D is $300, and the rebate for the
EF 24-105L is $50. Purchase these two items, and your total rebate is
$600 off the 5D, and $100 off the lens. Almost all of Canon's lenses
are on the rebate list.

Basically, you can get the 5D for roughly $2050... assuming you buy a
lens. If you're intent on buying full frame, right now is probably the
best time. I seriously doubt we'll see a full frame dSLR selling for
$2000 again until 2008.

I'm not entirely sure if rebates apply to gray market versions though.