AA Nimh charger recommendations please

martin

Jan 2, 2005, 8:44:01 AM1/2/05
I am looking for a AA Nimh charger that charges each cell individually, it
does not have to be a rapid charger, 2-5 hours will be fine. Can anyone
point me in the right direction for one of these please (prefer £30 or less)
thanks.

Bob Salomon

Jan 2, 2005, 10:30:48 AM1/2/05
In article <41d8...@news.greennet.net>,
"martin" <mar...@rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

Ansmann UK can help you

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Robert Scott

Jan 2, 2005, 1:17:44 PM1/2/05

"martin" <mar...@rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

I use the Maha charger. It has four indidual charging ciruits. It will
fast or slow charge, then switch to trickle/maint. charge. It comes with a
12V DC adapter for automotive use, too.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Message has been deleted

SleeperMan

Jan 2, 2005, 1:42:28 PM1/2/05

GP chargers come in a set with 4 AA cells ...Smart2 is 1 hour charger and
has individual cell and temp monitor. Nice stuff, but GP has a few other
models. Check them out.

David Dyer-Bennet

Jan 2, 2005, 9:09:31 PM1/2/05
"Robert Scott" <desm...@earthlink.net> writes:

Sounds like you're describing the MH-C401FS, which I have and think is
a great charger.

And you can get it with an international AC adapter, that just needs
plug converters to work anywhere in the world.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd...@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Message has been deleted

John Mares

Jan 3, 2005, 12:35:28 AM1/3/05

"martin" <mar...@rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Check this out, http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/p8king/rezap.htm

John Mares

Alex Butcher

Jan 3, 2005, 4:24:28 AM1/3/05

Maplin have a bunch:
<http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=1256&MenuName=Battery+Chargers&FromMenu=y&doy=3m1>

I have one of these:
<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35352&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=3m1>

If I was buying again, I would give extra consideration to chargers that
have a cover and a fan to cool the batteries as they are charged.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Mike Fields

Jan 3, 2005, 10:09:50 AM1/3/05

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_...@cox.net> wrote in message
> Maha MH-C401FS 100 Minute Cool Battery Charger
> http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Use...@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

I also have the Maha 401 and love it. Note that it also
has a 5 hour charge mode (little switch on the side of the
charger selects 100 minute or 5 hour). If you get it with
the adapters, you can also use it in your car. Never
had a problem getting it to recognize any batteries, but
have not tried the Panasonic ones either that another
poster complained about.

mikey

Markus L

Jan 3, 2005, 10:32:35 AM1/3/05

<nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:09:31 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"Robert Scott" <desm...@earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> >> "martin" <mar...@rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >> I use the Maha charger. It has four indidual charging ciruits. It
will
> >> fast or slow charge, then switch to trickle/maint. charge. It comes
with a
> >> 12V DC adapter for automotive use, too.
> >
> >Sounds like you're describing the MH-C401FS, which I have and think is
> >a great charger.
> >
> >And you can get it with an international AC adapter, that just needs
> >plug converters to work anywhere in the world.
>
> I have a Maha charger for AA NiMH batteries. It's pretty good with
> Maha batteries, but I was sorry to discover on our most recent journey
> that it will *not* recharge my Panasonic NiMH batteries. The charger
> simply refuses to recognize that there are batteries in it, when I
> insert the Panasonics.
>
> I don't know which model I have (and it's out in the caravan and I
> have the flu :-( so I'm not going out there to check). But do be
> aware of that potential issue ...

Could it be that your Panasonic NiMHs were completely discharged? Measure
their open-circuit voltage to verify. Some chargers do not detect cells
unless they show a certain minimum voltage. My workaround: Use any trickle
charger for an initial charge (usually half an hour is sufficient), then put
them into your Maha charger.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 4, 2005, 10:46:22 AM1/4/05
martin wrote:

Look at the Panasonic BQ-830. This is the best AA NiMH charger on the
market today, as well as being one of the least expensive, thanks to Costco.

Features:

-Individual charging circuits (1,2,3, or 4 cells at a time).

-Three input sources.

It comes with a car cord and an AC adapter. It also can be plugged into
a USB port (charging from the 5V/0.5A supplied by a USB port), though I
think it may charge slower on USB. USB cable is not included.

The USB input is a very thoughtful feature, since if you're travelling
with a notebook PC it means not carrying the heavy AC adapter. Also you
can buy a very small AC to USB converter and/or DC to USB converter and
accept the lower charge rate while travelling. I haven't seen any other
charger with this feature.

-LCD display which indicates charge status of each cell. I haven't seen
any other charger with this feature.

-Senses internal cell resistance, temperature, and voltage level, to
know when cells are fully charged.

In the U.S., it is $25 at Costco, and includes eight Panasonic 2300mA AA
cells and two Panasonic 780mA AAA cells.

Not sure if the UK Costco's carry it, but I've been in Costcos in
several countries, and the product selection (aside from the food) is
pretty similar.

"http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx?country=United%20Kingdom"

The Panasonic BQ-830 is much better than the Maha MH-C401FS ($59 with
twelve AA batteries, see
"http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.php3").

One other good one is the Ansmann Powerline 4 Traveller Microcontrolled
Ultra Quick Charger, but this is much more expensive ($82 with 4 AA
batteries from Adorama, see
"http://www.adorama.com/ANC4T.html?searchinfo=ansmann&item_no=11"), and
not widely available (at least in the U.S.). Also, in the U.S. there is
a general boycott of Ansmann products in the photographic community, due
to the behaviour of their U.S. distributor.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 4, 2005, 11:00:51 AM1/4/05
Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> martin wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a AA Nimh charger that charges each cell
>> individually, it does not have to be a rapid charger, 2-5 hours will
>> be fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these
>> please (prefer £30 or less) thanks.
>

> Look at the Panasonic BQ-830. This is the best AA NiMH charger on the
> market today, as well as being one of the least expensive, thanks to
> Costco.

<snip>

You can see the BQ-830 at

"https://www.brandnamebatteries.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=15&products_id=70&osCsid=062856f1dc46bc55bd4cfa0081fa4712"

though they are more expensive than Costco.

Bill Tuthill

Jan 4, 2005, 12:48:51 PM1/4/05
David Dyer-Bennet <dd...@dd-b.net> wrote:

>> I use the Maha charger. It has four indidual charging ciruits. It will
>> fast or slow charge, then switch to trickle/maint. charge. It comes with
>> a 12V DC adapter for automotive use, too.
>
> Sounds like you're describing the MH-C401FS, which I have and think is
> a great charger.
>
> And you can get it with an international AC adapter, that just needs
> plug converters to work anywhere in the world.

Why does the MH-C401FS lack the "battery reconditioning" option,
which the less expensive MH-C204W provided?

Is it considered just as good to drain NiMHs with a flash or something?

David Dyer-Bennet

Jan 4, 2005, 3:29:48 PM1/4/05
Bill Tuthill <c...@spam.co> writes:

The literature with the C401FS seemed to claim that with the "pulse
charging" circuitry it was no longer useful or necessary to drain the
batteries.

Ron Hunter

Jan 4, 2005, 7:46:22 PM1/4/05
Because the 401 is for NIMH batteries, where conditioning is not required.

b...@hpmarketingcorp.com

Jan 5, 2005, 7:19:45 AM1/5/05

Bob Salomon

Jan 5, 2005, 7:29:16 AM1/5/05
In article <1104927585....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
b...@hpmarketingcorp.com wrote:

> > "http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs buy.php3").

> > One other good one is the Ansmann Powerline 4 Traveller
> Microcontrolled
> > Ultra Quick Charger, but this is much more expensive ($82 with 4 AA
> > batteries from Adorama, see

> > "http://www.adorama.com/ANC4T.html?searchinfo=ansmann&item no=11"),

> and
> > not widely available (at least in the U.S.). Also, in the U.S. there
> is
> > a general boycott of Ansmann products in the photographic community,
> due
> > to the behaviour of their U.S. distributor.

"but eBay didn't care about the legalities
of it, nor did the poster from HP Marketing. For this reason I am always
warning people to avoid all products from HP Marketing, including Ansmann
batteries and chargers."

If you have a problem with Ebay regulations then you should discuss it
with Ebay. Not here.

If you have a problem with U.S. Customs and U.S. Trademark law discuss
it with your Senators or Congress representative.

"Also, in the U.S. there
> is
> > a general boycott of Ansmann products in the photographic community,
> due
> > to the behaviour of their U.S. distributor."

A one man crusade is far from a "general boycott"

And lastly read the post. The O.P. is asking about the U.K. not the U.S.
While we would be happy to have a U.S. camera store or Ansmann dealer
like Thomas Distributing or other internet dealer sell him an Ansmann
unit to a non U.S.A. customer it would be far more convenient for him to
simply buy one in the U.K. as that way it comes with the U.K. plug
rather then a U.S. plug.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 11:03:41 AM1/5/05
Bob Salomon wrote:

<snip>

Bob, you took advantage of eBay's naievte regarding the sale of used
equipment. No one disputes that your company has the exclusive right to
sell new equipment in the U.S., but the sale of used equipment isn't
covered by this.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 11:12:35 AM1/5/05
martin wrote:

I put together a little web site with four NiMH chargers.

See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers

Please e-mail me with any other recommended chargers, or if any of the
data in the table is incorrect, scharf...@linkearth.net, but change
linkearth.net to earthlink.net.

Bill Tuthill

Jan 5, 2005, 11:26:17 AM1/5/05
Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> wrote:

>> Why does the Maha MH-C401FS lack the "battery reconditioning" option,

>> which the less expensive MH-C204W provided?
>>
> Because the 401 is for NIMH batteries, where conditioning is not required.

On the contrary, most seemingly-reputable web sources recommend
conditioning once or several times at the beginning of NiMH lifecycle,
and towards end-of-life to revive them. Here's one such:

http://h50093.www5.hp.com/createuse/learning/batteries_reloaded.asp

Bob Salomon

Jan 5, 2005, 1:25:28 PM1/5/05
In article <xdUCd.1021$v76...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

First Ebay is not naive. They have specific rules for sellers regarding
Trademarked goods. Not new or used. Trademarks. It is very easy for a
seller, anywhere in the world, to access the rules.

Ebay is not the only auction site/sales site that observes these rules.
AOL also has similar rules.

If you want to change the rules then you have to go to the people who
make them. That is, in this case, Ebay as the selling site, and
Washington as the people who write the Trademark laws.

All we do is report what appears to be a violation of our Trademark to
Ebay. Weather a listing is or is not cancelled is the decision of Ebay's
VERO department.

There have been listings that they have not cancelled. The decision does
not, repeat, involve the condition of the item. It is a question of the
Trademark on the item.

rhodo chrosite

Jan 5, 2005, 7:03:26 PM1/5/05
Excuse me for my ignorance regarding the arcane Trademark laws, but just so
I don't ever try to sell something on eBay that violates those strictures,
can you please enlighten us about the issue being discussed. Under what
conditions can I not sell some used item?

"Bob Salomon" <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Bob Salomon

Jan 5, 2005, 8:35:29 PM1/5/05
In article <1104970015.fc7a6d32002941868141e665cae81cc8@teranews>,
"rhodo chrosite" <rhodoc...@hot.mail.com> wrote:

You can not offer to sell a Heliopan item to someone in the USA by
someone who is not in the USA without our written permission as the
owner of the Trademark in the USA.
US Customs has the authority to seize and destroy any Heliopan items
they may find being imported to the USA without our written permission.

Ebay will not allow any listings that would violate the Trademark by
offering to sell a Heliopan item that has to be imported to the USA.

Listings by people inside the USA to sell a Heliopan item are fine as
are listings by people outside the USA as long as the listings from
outside the USA are not offered to people in the USA.

There are similar restrictions on Ebay for other products protected by a
Trademark or Copyright. For full details on Ebay's policies see their
rules on selling Trademarked or Copyrighted materials on their web site.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 10:39:29 PM1/5/05
rhodo chrosite wrote:

> Excuse me for my ignorance regarding the arcane Trademark laws, but
just so
> I don't ever try to sell something on eBay that violates those
strictures,
> can you please enlighten us about the issue being discussed. Under what
> conditions can I not sell some used item?

Sorry to have brought this up, but in doing a review of NiMH battery
chargers, I felt that I should enlighten buyers of some of the
photographic community's avoidance of all products marketed by HP
Marketing, one of which is Ansmann chargers (only in the U.S.).

Here’s the scoop. HPMarketing monitors eBay auctions. If anyone attempts
to sell something that contains a product distributed by HPMarketing,
they contact eBay and demand that the auction be cancelled. For example,
someone was selling a used lens, with a used hood, and the hood was a
Heliopan hood. HP Marketing is the exclusive U.S. importer for Heliopan.
HP Marketing complained to eBay, and eBay removed the listing. HP
Marketing would not even discuss the issue with the seller.

You can see the list of products imported by HP Marketing at
http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 10:46:08 PM1/5/05

Since you're in the UK, take a look at
http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/GP_PowerBank_U_Smart.html though
it's more than £30.

The Power Bank Smart 2 is also good at £34, see:
http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/GP_PowerBank_Smart2.html

Also see the FameArt which is £24 with no batteries, see:
http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/fameart_pc07.html, though I've
never heard of FameArt.

bob

Jan 5, 2005, 11:05:27 PM1/5/05
"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote in

> Sorry to have brought this up, but in doing a review of NiMH battery
> chargers, I felt that I should enlighten buyers of some of the
> photographic community's avoidance of all products marketed by HP
> Marketing, one of which is Ansmann chargers (only in the U.S.).
>
> Here's the scoop. HPMarketing monitors eBay auctions. If anyone
> attempts to sell something that contains a product distributed by
> HPMarketing, they contact eBay and demand that the auction be
> cancelled. For example, someone was selling a used lens, with a used
> hood, and the hood was a Heliopan hood. HP Marketing is the exclusive
> U.S. importer for Heliopan. HP Marketing complained to eBay, and eBay
> removed the listing. HP Marketing would not even discuss the issue
> with the seller.
>
> You can see the list of products imported by HP Marketing at
> http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/

That sounds akin to Nikon USA blocking sales of used Nikon cameras. I'd be
really curious to find out how that was a trademark violation.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 11:51:30 PM1/5/05
bob wrote:

> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote in

> That sounds akin to Nikon USA blocking sales of used Nikon cameras. I'd be

> really curious to find out how that was a trademark violation.

Especially because there was no way that HPMarketing knew one way or
another where the hood on that lens was purchased. eBay doesn't
investigate; they simply cancel the auction.

So stupid for HPMarketing to piss off their customer base for such a
non-issue. Now if someone was importing new product and trying to sell
in the U.S., they'd have something legitimate to complain about.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 5, 2005, 11:54:15 PM1/5/05
Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> martin wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a AA Nimh charger that charges each cell
>> individually, it does not have to be a rapid charger, 2-5 hours will
>> be fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these
>> please (prefer £30 or less) thanks.
>

> I put together a little web site with four NiMH chargers.
>
> See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers

I added two more, so now there are six. The fastest one is not sold in
the U.S. yet.

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 3:17:00 AM1/6/05
In article <Rp2Dd.1551$Pm6...@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote:

> rhodo chrosite wrote:
>
> > Excuse me for my ignorance regarding the arcane Trademark laws, but
> just so
> > I don't ever try to sell something on eBay that violates those
> strictures,
> > can you please enlighten us about the issue being discussed. Under what
> > conditions can I not sell some used item?
>
> Sorry to have brought this up, but in doing a review of NiMH battery
> chargers, I felt that I should enlighten buyers of some of the
> photographic community's avoidance of all products marketed by HP
> Marketing, one of which is Ansmann chargers (only in the U.S.).
>

> Here零 the scoop. HPMarketing monitors eBay auctions. If anyone attempts

> to sell something that contains a product distributed by HPMarketing,
> they contact eBay and demand that the auction be cancelled. For example,
> someone was selling a used lens, with a used hood, and the hood was a
> Heliopan hood. HP Marketing is the exclusive U.S. importer for Heliopan.
> HP Marketing complained to eBay, and eBay removed the listing. HP
> Marketing would not even discuss the issue with the seller.
>
> You can see the list of products imported by HP Marketing at
> http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/

We always discuss the issue with the seller. Every message from Ebay has
our phone number in it so they can discuss it.

In the example you gave they could have simply made 2 listings. One with
the complete lens less the hood for world wide sale and one for the hood
only for sale anywhere but the USA.

Apparently this individual did not call. Otherwise we would have
discussed it with them.

Had they Emailed us they would have been Emailed a snyopsis of the
requirements and a reference to Ebay's policies.

And, lastly, why are you involved?

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 3:20:45 AM1/6/05
In article <mt3Dd.1806$v76...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote:

> Especially because there was no way that HPMarketing knew one way or
> another where the hood on that lens was purchased. eBay doesn't
> investigate; they simply cancel the auction.

Again.

The sale is stopped because a Heliopan branded item is being offered for
sale by importing it to the USA.

It is immaterial where it was originally purchased. The only fact know
absolutely is that it was not made in the USA it originated in Germany.

There is also no way of knowing, without inspecting, that all items
listed as new are in fact new or all listed as used, like new, never
used, demo, perfect, etc are not in fact new.

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 3:23:10 AM1/6/05
In article <Xv3Dd.1809$v76....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote:

You seemed to have missed the fan cooled one hour AC/DC Ansmann
Digispeed and the new 10 minute 4.3A output, fan cooled Ansmann
Digispeed Ultra.

Too bad the info on them to you bounced back yesterday.

bob

Jan 6, 2005, 7:18:59 AM1/6/05
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in news:bob_salomon-
39B245.032...@news.isp.giganews.com:

I guess I'm going to side with Steven on this issue. Based on your post,
you are assuming everyone is guilty. I mean, if you saw the same seller
selling the same item week after week, that would be one thing. Or one
seller with a whole bunch of stuff. Or something similar.

Out of curiosity, can you cite the relavant section of code that you imply
in your previous post? It seems really dubious that such protection would
actually exist.

I'll stick with B+W.

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 7:33:31 AM1/6/05
In article <Xns95D64A948AA...@216.196.97.142>,
bob <usene...@2fiddles.com> wrote:

Again. Ask Ebay. It is their rules.

bob

Jan 6, 2005, 7:49:20 AM1/6/05
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote in

You said the Congress of the United States had passed laws. I have asked
which laws. Or are you just blowing smoke?

Since you've brought up Ebay, are you claiming that Ebay has a rule that
prohibits selling any goods with trademarked names? Can you cite the
rule?

The only thing I could find related to trademark was this:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/trademark.html

A small quote:

"Trademark laws are primarily designed to protect consumers from
confusing one company's goods or services with those of another."

It sounds like you're just abusing Ebay's overly conservative nature --
it's easier for them to pull the plug on an auction than to fight about
it.

If your argument has any teeth at all, then why does Nikon USA allow B&H
and others to sell grey market Nikon cameras?

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 9:37:15 AM1/6/05
In article <Xns95D64FBA4F6...@216.196.97.142>,
bob <usene...@2fiddles.com> wrote:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-copyrights.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/trademark.html

Our Heliopan Trademark is registered with the Intellectual Property
Rights Branch of the US Customs Service under registration number
1,650,631 dated 1/4/2002.

" why does Nikon USA allow B&H
> and others to sell grey market Nikon cameras?

You did not read fully and understand my post.

We are not a subsidiary of the foreign factory that manufactures the
product. We are not owned by and Heliopan has no financial interest in
our company. As such we are allowed to register the Trademark we own
(Heliopan) with US Customs.

If the official US importer is owned by the foreign factory, or is a
subsidiary of that company, they can not register their name with US
Customs in order to control "gray" market products bearing their name.

That means that most camera companies importing 35mm, digital or medium
format products are not able to stop parallel imports by utilizing US
Customs. Some camera companies that are subsidiaries of their foreign
owned factories are: Nikon, Canon, Minolta-Konica, Pentax, Hasselblad,
Sinar, Broncolor, Foba. If a parallel importer can find a source for
these items they can import them and offer them as "gray" market items.

On the other hand there are product lines that are imported by companies
that are not subsidiaries of the factories that manufacture the products
AND the US importer owns the trademark on these items. Some of these are
Heliopan, Mamiya, Sekonic, Toyo.

Then there are products that are imported by companies that are neither
a subsidiary of the factory that made them and whose importer either
does not own the trademark or has decided not to register the trademark
or there are multiple importers for products from that factory for
different markets so one company in the US would normally not own the
Trademark.

These items may be offered on the "gray" market.

In the case of Trademarks that are owned by a US company and registered
with US Customs parallel imports would be called "black" market as
opposed to "gray" market.

Following is an excerpt from an IP attorney regarding this particular
subject which he posted last time this was brought up.

"trademark owners are forced to take what look like unreasonable steps
to preserve their position in the controversy. They feel they must take
a strong stand on every apparent instance of unauthorized importation,
lest they be accused of ģwaivingē the protection that they have spent
millions trying to get the courts to recognize. It unfortunate that
people like the Photo.net contributor get entangled in this stuff,
especially since I personally agree with the Customs Service on the
issue. But, life does have its speed bumps, and this one hardly seems
worth the emotion that it has generated. "

In other words we must use our Trademark rights and protect them so we
do not lose them.

No one is stopping anyone from selling Heliopan on Ebay. At the moment
there are at least 35 Heliopan sales or sales of equipment that include
a Heliopan item being offered on Ebay in the USA from people in the USA.

What is stopped are people from outside the USA offering a Heliopan to
the USA. Those people are free to offer their item anywhere else on Ebay.

Bill Tuthill

Jan 6, 2005, 12:26:30 PM1/6/05
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>> >
>> > See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers
>>
>> I added two more, so now there are six. The fastest one is not sold
>> in the U.S. yet.
>
> You seemed to have missed the fan cooled one hour AC/DC Ansmann
> Digispeed and the new 10 minute 4.3A output, fan cooled Ansmann
> Digispeed Ultra.

Don't those cost more than $70, which Steven's web page clearly says
is the cut-off point? Froogle says $99 for the non-Ultra.

Bob Salomon

Jan 6, 2005, 12:41:40 PM1/6/05

The retail price is set by the retailer. It varies. So it all depends on
whom you buy it from. The new Digispeed Ultra will actually slightly
less expensive.

Dave Martindale

Jan 6, 2005, 6:07:05 PM1/6/05
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> writes:

>You can not offer to sell a Heliopan item to someone in the USA by
>someone who is not in the USA without our written permission as the
>owner of the Trademark in the USA.
>US Customs has the authority to seize and destroy any Heliopan items
>they may find being imported to the USA without our written permission.

>There are similar restrictions on Ebay for other products protected by a

>Trademark or Copyright. For full details on Ebay's policies see their
>rules on selling Trademarked or Copyrighted materials on their web site.

But it's up to individual trademark owners how this is enforced.
Trademark owners register with ebay and report violations; ebay itself
does not scan listings for trademarks.

It seems that many trademark owners are ready to pounce on people
selling fake items under a trademarked name (e.g. fake Rolex watches)
because that dilutes their trademark. They may also complain about
dealers importing goods for sale by unauthorized channels (grey
market). But forbidding a private individual outside the USA from
selling a single used Heliopan filter to someone inside the USA is
quite draconian; do you really do this?

If all distributors enforced this, it would be almost impossible to sell
used items outside their country of original sale, since you'd have to
have a laundry list of countries that the goods could not be shipped to
because the official distributor for that country objected.

It may be legal to do this, but I don't think it's good public policy.

Dave

Dave Martindale

Jan 6, 2005, 6:13:54 PM1/6/05
Bob Salomon <bob_s...@mindspring.com> writes:

>The sale is stopped because a Heliopan branded item is being offered for
>sale by importing it to the USA.

Is it used or new? It may not matter to you, or to the law as written,
but it *does* matter to some of us. If you're blocking commercial sales
of new items that bypass the official import channel, you'll get support
from a lot of people. Blocking the sale of a used item by a private
seller isn't going to make you any friends.

>It is immaterial where it was originally purchased.

>There is also no way of knowing, without inspecting, that all items
>listed as new are in fact new or all listed as used, like new, never
>used, demo, perfect, etc are not in fact new.

It's pretty easy to check for repeated sales of Heliopan items by the
same seller. If they sell the same items over and over, they're a
dealer and you have grounds for complaint. A single sale should be
treated as a non-commercial seller. If you're already doing automated
scans of ebay to look for violators, this can't be very difficult to
keep track of.

Dave

George

Jan 6, 2005, 10:08:25 PM1/6/05

"Bill Tuthill" <c...@spam.co> wrote in message news:41dd...@news.meer.net...
Why not the RayOVac I-C3 15 Minute Charger? Charges four of their I-C3
NiMH (2000mAH) batteries in 15 minutes and will also charge standard NiMH
batteries in their standard charge time. I think I paid about $25 for mine
(with
2 AA batteries included) while they were running a promotion that got me a
free
car adapter for it as well. It works great...what does the extra $$$ for
the chargers
you are recommending get you? BTW, the car adapter IS a handy
feature...don't
know what it normally sells for.

George

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 7, 2005, 1:27:13 AM1/7/05
Dave Martindale wrote:

> But forbidding a private individual outside the USA from
> selling a single used Heliopan filter to someone inside the USA is
> quite draconian; do you really do this?

He does this.

> If all distributors enforced this, it would be almost impossible to sell
> used items outside their country of original sale, since you'd have to
> have a laundry list of countries that the goods could not be shipped to
> because the official distributor for that country objected.
>
> It may be legal to do this, but I don't think it's good public policy.

Which is why I referred to the general boycott by the U.S. photographic
community, of all products imported and distributed by HPMarketing.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 7, 2005, 1:31:31 AM1/7/05
George wrote:

> Why not the RayOVac I-C3 15 Minute Charger? Charges four of their I-C3
> NiMH (2000mAH) batteries in 15 minutes and will also charge standard NiMH
> batteries in their standard charge time. I think I paid about $25 for mine
> (with
> 2 AA batteries included) while they were running a promotion that got me a
> free
> car adapter for it as well. It works great...what does the extra $$$ for
> the chargers
> you are recommending get you? BTW, the car adapter IS a handy
> feature...don't
> know what it normally sells for.

I don't believe that the Ray-O-Vac has individual charging circuits (can
it charge one or three batteries, or must you do two or four?).

The extra $ doesn't get you much, which is why the BQ-830 is the best
option, as it is very cheap.

bob

Jan 7, 2005, 8:12:39 AM1/7/05

>> > Again. Ask Ebay. It is their rules.
>> >

>> You said the Congress of the United States had passed laws. I have
>> asked which laws. Or are you just blowing smoke?
>>
>> Since you've brought up Ebay, are you claiming that Ebay has a rule
>> that prohibits selling any goods with trademarked names? Can you cite
>> the rule?
>>
>> The only thing I could find related to trademark was this:
>> http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/trademark.html
>>
>> A small quote:
>>
>> "Trademark laws are primarily designed to protect consumers from
>> confusing one company's goods or services with those of another."
>>
>> It sounds like you're just abusing Ebay's overly conservative nature
>> -- it's easier for them to pull the plug on an auction than to fight
>> about it.
>>
>> If your argument has any teeth at all, then why does Nikon USA allow
>> B&H and others to sell grey market Nikon cameras?
>>
>> Bob
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-copyrights.html
> http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/trademark.html

That's nice. I quote you a url and tell you there doesn't seem to be
anything on it in support of your position and you quote the same url
back to me.

> importation, lest they be accused of ³waiving² the protection that

> they have spent millions trying to get the courts to recognize. It
> unfortunate that people like the Photo.net contributor get entangled
> in this stuff, especially since I personally agree with the Customs
> Service on the issue. But, life does have its speed bumps, and this
> one hardly seems worth the emotion that it has generated. "
>
> In other words we must use our Trademark rights and protect them so we
> do not lose them.
>
> No one is stopping anyone from selling Heliopan on Ebay. At the moment
> there are at least 35 Heliopan sales or sales of equipment that
> include a Heliopan item being offered on Ebay in the USA from people
> in the USA.
>
> What is stopped are people from outside the USA offering a Heliopan to
> the USA. Those people are free to offer their item anywhere else on
> Ebay.

Since you declined to provide any citation, I did some research--

19 U.S. C. § 1526 Merchandise bearing American trade-mark

"unlawful to import into the United States any merchandise of foreign
manufacture if such merchandise ... bears a trademark owned by a citizen
of ... the United States"

Things would have been much clearer if you had just cited the law in the
first place.

From what I gather though, that bit about the affiliation between the
manufaturer and the distributor was a Customs ruling that was struck down
by the Supreme Court -- The only issue seems to be who owns the
trademark.

So if Nikon (the Japanese company) registered the tradmark in the United
States, then Nikon, Inc., the US distributor (which I dont think is a
subsidary -- they are not the first US distributor of Nikon) would have
no recourse, simply because they don't hold the trademark.

George

Jan 7, 2005, 8:41:23 AM1/7/05

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf...@linkearth.net> wrote in message

You must do 2 or 4. I don't have anything in the house that requires 1 or
3 AA batteries.

Bob Salomon

Jan 7, 2005, 9:29:01 AM1/7/05
In article <Xns95D753AE525...@216.196.97.142>,
bob <usene...@2fiddles.com> wrote:

> So if Nikon (the Japanese company) registered the tradmark in the United
> States, then Nikon, Inc., the US distributor (which I dont think is a
> subsidary -- they are not the first US distributor of Nikon) would have
> no recourse, simply because they don't hold the trademark.

The foreign subsidiary can own the trademark. They can't register it -
hence the gray market.

Nikon USA is most definately a subsidiary of Nikon Japan. The former
distributor of Nikon, for whom I was an employee, we Ehrenreich Photo
Optical. They could own the trademark as they were not owned by the
Japanese company.

The Nikon distributors before them were first a partnership between Joe
Ehrenreich on the East Coast and another importer on the West Coast.
Those companies them became Ehrenreich Photo Optical Inc. or EPOI.

Prior to that the importer for Nikon after the Korean War was Adolf
Gasser the camera store in San Francisco. None of those were factory
owned.

Steven M. Scharf

Jan 7, 2005, 11:30:38 AM1/7/05
George wrote:

> You must do 2 or 4. I don't have anything in the house that requires 1 or
> 3 AA batteries.

But many people do. I have several items in the house that use 3AAA or
1AA battery.

Since the BQ-830 is so cheap, and since it has 4 independent channels,
it's the baseline in terms of low cost high-function chargers.

bob

Jan 7, 2005, 12:27:01 PM1/7/05

> George wrote:
>
>> You must do 2 or 4. I don't have anything in the house that requires
>> 1 or 3 AA batteries.
>
> But many people do. I have several items in the house that use 3AAA or
> 1AA battery.

Mini Disc recorders have run off of single AA cells for a long time. I'd
hate to have to charge in pairs.

Bob

George

Jan 7, 2005, 2:22:22 PM1/7/05

"bob" <Jwx1.n...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I realize that it might make a difference to some people (though you have to
BUY
the batteries in 2's or 4's, so what's the diff as far as I am concerned).
I'm sure I do
have something that uses 1 or 3 batteries...just nothing that is such a
battery hog that
I'd bother with rechargeable in. I found the ready availability of the
charger and the
car adapter (don't have to buy a power inverter) very attractive...just
mentioning
what I bought and like...I'm not at all familiar with the BQ-830 as once I
buy, I stop
shopping but if it has similar features and is less than $25 w/2 batteries,
I would've
gone for it, too, had it been around last year when I bought.

George

Mirko S Veselinovic

Jan 7, 2005, 6:51:31 PM1/7/05

I have got an VOLTCRAFT UNIVERZAL Ni-Cd & Ni-MH charger MODEL: V-629A
B/N 250219 (?) It is intended for 4x AA, AAA, C/D or 2x 9V. It has
Test, Charge and Discharge modes. Unfortunatelly, there is no orginal
manual, so I am not sure what are procedures for testing and
discharging. Also I am not shure what are the meanings of leds on this
unit. I have tried to contact taiwan manufacturer of the unit but no
use. Does anybody has manual or any usefull information on this?

George

Jan 7, 2005, 8:16:20 PM1/7/05

> In article <Xns95D753AE525...@216.196.97.142>,
> bob <usene...@2fiddles.com> wrote:
>
> > So if Nikon (the Japanese company) registered the tradmark in the United
> > States, then Nikon, Inc., the US distributor (which I dont think is a
> > subsidary -- they are not the first US distributor of Nikon) would have
> > no recourse, simply because they don't hold the trademark.
>
> The foreign subsidiary can own the trademark. They can't register it -
> hence the gray market.

Please expand on this...I am not quite sure what you are saying. It sounds
(to me) like you are saying that there are two different things going on,
ability
to register a trademark and trademark ownership. Are you saying that since
Nikon Japan owns Nikon USA, that neither can register the trademark in the
U.S. though Nikon Japan owns the trademark? Isn't this the situation with
Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta?

TIA,
George

<<<SNIP>>>

John Doe

Jan 7, 2005, 8:49:42 PM1/7/05
"martin" <mar...@rcflyers.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I am looking for a AA Nimh charger that charges each cell
>individually, it does not have to be a rapid charger, 2-5 hours
>will be fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of
>these please (prefer £30 or less) thanks.

Avoid this Energizer charger.
http://data.energizer.com/images/CH30MN.jpg
It sometimes fails charging AAA batteries, in case you do.

Duracell makes a one-hour charger (CEF80NC) which also charges AA and
AAA batteries individually and monitors temperature. Eventually, it
might be replaced by a 30 minute charger.
http://duracell.com/images/products/specialty/rechargeable.jpg

By the way. When you buy a charger with included batteries, check the
milliamp hour rating on the batteries, it's usually less than state
of the art.

Good luck.

bob

Jan 7, 2005, 10:02:49 PM1/7/05
"George" <now...@newsonly.com> wrote in

My (non attorney) understanding of the code I referred to is that
trademark protection by US Customs is only valid for US citizens and
corporations.

My uninformed thought is that Nikon (Japan) can register a trademark, but
only a US company can enforce a trademark ban. That is, my (uninformed)
understanding is that a foreign company might be able to register a
trademark, but they can't prevent 3rd party importation.

Bob (who doesn't import any photo gear).

Bob Salomon

Jan 8, 2005, 5:47:21 AM1/8/05
Are you saying that since
> Nikon Japan owns Nikon USA, that neither can register the trademark in the
> U.S. though Nikon Japan owns the trademark? Isn't this the situation with
> Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta?
Yes

Bob Salomon

Jan 8, 2005, 5:51:58 AM1/8/05
In article <Xns95D7E06F57A...@216.196.97.142>,
bob <usene...@2fiddles.com> wrote:

That US company has to own the Trademark. There are many reasons why a
foreign factory may not want to or be able to sell or assign the
ownership of their trademark to another company in a different country.
Without the independent US company owning the trademark the trademark
can't be registered.

> understanding is that a foreign company might be able to register a
> trademark, but they can't prevent 3rd party importation.

]
Basically

Tom Randy

Jan 8, 2005, 7:37:37 PM1/8/05

The MAHA C401FS will do 1 at a time,2,3 or all 4. It's a GREAT charger!

Bart van der Wolf

Jan 9, 2005, 8:15:42 AM1/9/05

"Mirko S Veselinovic" <mirko...@eunet.yu> wrote in message
SNIP

> Does anybody has manual or any usefull information on this?

<http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-274999/250219-an-01-ml-Universal-Ladegeraet_V-629_de-en-fr.pdf>

Bart

jmc

Jan 9, 2005, 8:52:28 AM1/9/05
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:37:37 GMT, all of a sudden, Tom Randy
<So...@spamsucks.net> exclaimed:

I second this recommendation. I have this same MAHA, it's awesome.
Their batteries are very good as well. I get mine from
thomasdistributing.com
jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

Mirko S Veselinovic

Jan 10, 2005, 8:04:40 AM1/10/05

Thank you, Bart

Despite sugestive acronims (de-en-fr) there is no english version in
this acrobat document, neither in other available at the site. It
seems this unit is rather primitive, despite it functions. I can not
figure it out, why there are 2 (two) red (charging) lights for 4
(four) AAA, AA, C or D cells! Is it possible to charge single cells,
or in pairs, or just four cells. My understanding of german is a bit
of rusty, but I can not find any descriptions on number of cells
supported.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:15:42 +0100, "Bart van der Wolf"
<bvd...@no.spam> wrote:

><http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/250000-274999/250219-an-01-ml-Universal-Ladegeraet_V-629_de-en-fr.pdf>

Bart van der Wolf

Jan 10, 2005, 9:08:37 AM1/10/05

> Thank you, Bart
>
> Despite sugestive acronims (de-en-fr) there is no english version in
> this acrobat document, neither in other available at the site.

Sorry for that, I didn't read the document, I only verified if it
could be opened. It looks like a very simple model, and it doesn't
even switch off automatically, so beware.

> It seems this unit is rather primitive, despite it functions. I
> can not figure it out, why there are 2 (two) red (charging)
> lights for 4 (four) AAA, AA, C or D cells!

The manual doesn't tell, but I assume the cells are charged in pairs.

Bart

Mirko S Veselinovic

Jan 11, 2005, 4:37:44 PM1/11/05

I had to know, so I tried single cell in all 4 positions. It worked,
with 140 mA current, and one (closest) red led was on! So I suppose it
is possible to charge rounded cells in any combination...

Robert Scott

Jan 11, 2005, 10:33:16 PM1/11/05
Just a note to tell of a bad experience I had with NiMH batteries yesterday.

I have a Maha CF401 charger that I really like. After reading about it
here, I also purchased a Panasonic BQ-830.

The Panasonic came with Panasonic brand 2300 mah AAs. I had sets of Powerex
2200 mah and Maha 2000mah AA batteries.

I plugged in both chargers and started charging some cells. After a while,
I switched cells between chargers, wondering if one charger heated them up
more than the other. When I went back later to check on things, one of the
Powerex cells in the Panasonic charger was extremely hot and on the verge of
rupturing. Upon checking the Panasonic's literature, it warns to use only
Panasonic batteries in the charger.

Guess they weren't kidding! =:-0

Of course, the literature also claims the unit uses temperature sensing....

Oh well. Be careful! Don't charge unattended unless the charger is in a
VERY fire-resistant place.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Scharf-DCA

Jan 13, 2005, 2:56:47 PM1/13/05
I have charged Sanyo, Powerex, and Lenmar cells in the BQ-830. However
I did have a similar problem. I had one bad Lenmar cell, and it got
extremely hot and melted the plastic of the charger. This leads to be
wonder about the supposed temperature sensing in the BQ-830. I also had
one bad Powerex cell, but it detected this when the battery was
inserted, and did not try to charge it. I exchanged the BQ-830 for a
new one at Costco. Costco did mention that they had a bad batch of
these. Does your BQ-830 have a sticker on the side opposite the USB
port that says "NEW." The first one I bought did not have this sticker,
IIRC.

It is good advice in general to not place a charger anywhere flammable.
I received an e-mail from the Ansmann distributor in the U.S.,
explaining that their latest very high current model, the Digispeed-4
Ultra, didn't come with a vehicle adapter because of the concern that
the heat generated by the charger could ignite upholstery in a vehicle,
"while this unit could operate on 12V DC car power the amount of heat
exhausted from the rear of the charger during rapid charging could
cause the seat it is placed on to ignite. Therefore it is not supplied
with a car cord."

Robert Scott

Jan 13, 2005, 6:31:52 PM1/13/05

"Scharf-DCA" <sch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I have charged Sanyo, Powerex, and Lenmar cells in the BQ-830. However
> I did have a similar problem. I had one bad Lenmar cell, and it got
> extremely hot and melted the plastic of the charger. This leads to be
> wonder about the supposed temperature sensing in the BQ-830. I also had
> one bad Powerex cell, but it detected this when the battery was
> inserted, and did not try to charge it. I exchanged the BQ-830 for a
> new one at Costco. Costco did mention that they had a bad batch of
> these. Does your BQ-830 have a sticker on the side opposite the USB
> port that says "NEW." The first one I bought did not have this sticker,
> IIRC.

Mine DID have the "New" sticker on the right side of the unit. It appears
to be working fine now, but I'm afraid to put anything other than Panasonic
cells in it. Do you still put other brands in yours? I really would like
to use it with all my cells.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

David Chien

Jan 13, 2005, 7:45:24 PM1/13/05
If they have it in your area, Rayovac IC-3 NiMh 15 minute chargers are
the best.
These are faster than any other charger on the planet, work great for
me, and can charge one cell individually of the others.

http://www.rayovac.com/products/recharge/index.shtml

Bob Salomon

Jan 13, 2005, 8:07:36 PM1/13/05
In article <cs74n7$il8$1...@news.service.uci.edu>,
David Chien <chi...@uci.edu> wrote:

> These are faster than any other charger on the planet

Go look at the new Ansmann Digispeed Ultra.

Fan cooled and charges any NiMh in between 10 minutes and 40 minutes -
depending on the cell's capacity and state of charge.

The charger you mention only does special batteries and never gets any
battery to 100% full charge. With any battery other then the special
batteries the charger reverts to a slow charge.

Scharf-DCA

Jan 13, 2005, 8:57:19 PM1/13/05

These are fine for the special Rayovac cells, but they are not very
fast for standard NiMH cells.

Also, be aware that there is a downside to very high charge currents,
as it shortens battery life. So if you can deal with a lower charge
current in terms of time to charge, it's better.

The best charger is probably the Maha MH-C401FS, since you can select
1000mA or 300mA charge rates (essentially 2.5 hour or 8 hour).

I would avoid chargers like the Gold Peak (GP) GPPB13 GP Powerbank
U-Smart and the Ansmann Digispeed-4 Ultra, unless you absolutely need a
sub-1 hour charge; the charge current is just too high, and the heat
generated is too great.

Steve
http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/